International
German doctor sentenced to life in prison for murdering 15 patients
German doctor sentenced to life in prison for murdering 15 patients
A German palliative care doctor has been sentenced to life imprisonment after a court in Berlin found him guilty of murdering 15 patients over a three-year period, in a case prosecutors say could become one of the largest serial murder investigations involving a medical professional in Germany.
The 41-year-old physician, identified only as Johannes M. under Germany’s privacy laws, was convicted on Wednesday of killing 12 women and three men between September 2021 and July 2024 while working for a home-based palliative care service in the German capital.
The Berlin Regional Court heard that the victims, aged between 25 and 94, were all seriously ill but were not considered to be at imminent risk of death. Most of them were receiving palliative care in their homes when the killings occurred.
According to prosecutors, Johannes M. deliberately administered a lethal combination of an anaesthetic and a muscle relaxant without the knowledge or consent of the patients. The drugs caused respiratory paralysis, leading to their deaths within minutes.
READ ALSO:
- PFIPC Scandal: Adeyemi Pledges Full Cooperation with ICPC, Vows to Submit Documents to DSS
- Dangote launches free petrol delivery in Lagos, Abuja, five other states
- Appeal Court orders status quo in ISI hijab case, adjourns hearing to Oct. 7
Prosecutors argued that the doctor acted out of what they described as a “lust for murder” rather than compassion or any legitimate medical purpose. They also accused him of setting fire to several victims’ homes in an attempt to destroy evidence and conceal the crimes.
Investigators linked at least five suspected arson incidents to the murders, saying the fires were intended to make the deaths appear accidental.
One of the most shocking incidents presented during the trial occurred in July 2024, shortly before the doctor’s arrest. Prosecutors alleged that Johannes M. killed two patients on the same day.
According to the prosecution, he first fatally injected a 75-year-old man during a home visit in central Berlin before travelling to another district, where he allegedly killed a 76-year-old woman. Investigators said he later attempted to set fire to the woman’s apartment, but the blaze failed to destroy crucial evidence.
For much of the year-long trial, the doctor declined to testify. However, during proceedings last month, he admitted responsibility for killing 12 of the victims, telling the court that he believed he was relieving them of pain and suffering.
“Throughout it all, I thought this was the best thing for everyone,” he said, before expressing remorse and apologising to the families of the victims.
Despite the admission, prosecutors maintained that the killings were neither acts of mercy nor medically justified, insisting the victims had not consented to ending their lives and that many still had plans for the future.
In delivering its judgment, the Berlin Regional Court imposed Germany’s maximum sentence for murder and made a finding of “particularly severe guilt,” a legal classification that makes early release after the standard 15-year period highly unlikely.
The court also ordered preventive detention, allowing authorities to continue holding the doctor after completion of his prison sentence if he is still considered a danger to society. In addition, he was permanently banned from practising medicine.
Authorities believe the 15 confirmed murders may represent only a fraction of the doctor’s alleged crimes.
Investigators initially opened the case after becoming suspicious about four patient deaths before widening the inquiry. A special investigative team has since reviewed 395 patient files, exhumed several bodies and identified dozens of additional suspicious cases.
Prosecutors are now investigating 76 more deaths linked to the doctor, raising the possibility of further criminal charges if sufficient evidence is established.
If additional allegations are proven, the case could become one of the most extensive serial murder investigations in Germany’s modern history.
The trial featured emotional testimony from relatives of several victims, many of whom rejected the doctor’s claim that he was acting out of compassion.
The mother of the youngest victim, a 25-year-old woman, tearfully told the court that her daughter “never said she didn’t want to live anymore.”
Similarly, the son of a 72-year-old woman said his mother had been planning a holiday with her sister before her death, insisting she had every intention of continuing her life.
Legal experts say the verdict has renewed debate in Germany over patient safety, oversight of palliative care services and the safeguards required to protect vulnerable patients receiving treatment in their homes.
As investigations continue, prosecutors say Johannes M. has indicated a willingness to cooperate in future proceedings, while authorities remain focused on determining whether additional patients fell victim to the same pattern of crimes.
German doctor sentenced to life in prison for murdering 15 patients
![]()
International
UK, Australia, Canada Lead 28 Nations in Condemning Israel Over Gaza Aid Killings Probe Closure
UK, Australia, Canada Lead 28 Nations in Condemning Israel Over Gaza Aid Killings Probe Closure
The United Kingdom, Australia, and Canada have condemned Israel’s decision to close a criminal investigation into the 2024 killing of seven World Central Kitchen (WCK) aid workers in Gaza, calling the move “shameful” and “both too little, and too late.” The announcement came on World Humanitarian Day, August 19, 2026, a timing the three governments described as “particularly egregious.”
The Israeli military announced on August 19 that it would not pursue criminal proceedings into the April 1, 2024 strike on the WCK convoy, saying there was no reasonable suspicion of criminal misconduct. The attack killed seven humanitarian workers who were delivering food to civilians in Gaza. The victims included Australian aid worker Zomi Frankcom, three British security personnel, a dual Canadian-US citizen Jacob Flickinger, Polish national Damian Sobol, and Palestinian Saifeddin Issam Ayad Abutaha. The deadly strike occurred despite the convoy having coordinated its route with the Israeli military, and the vehicles were clearly marked with the WCK logo.
In a joint statement issued on August 21, the foreign ministries of the three countries said they had spent more than two years pressing Israel to conduct a swift and thorough investigation into the attack and hold those responsible to account. The governments noted that at the time, the Israel Defense Forces had described the incident as a serious mistake and failure, and that in the more than two years since, they had been pressing for Israel to swiftly and thoroughly consider the case and hold those responsible to account. The statement said the decision to close the case without further explanation was “shameful” and that announcing it on World Humanitarian Day, while the world honoured the courage and sacrifice of humanitarians, was particularly egregious. The governments stressed that the World Central Kitchen attack was not an isolated incident, arguing that the lack of accountability extended to numerous other incidents involving humanitarian workers in Gaza, noting that despite a fragile ceasefire, Gaza remains the deadliest place to deliver aid, with 186 humanitarian workers killed in 2025.
READ ALSO:
- 2027: Wike Declares Adeleke Belongs to Tinubu Camp, Predicts ‘Largest Rainbow Coalition’
- Just In: FG Announces Public Holiday – Here’s When Nigerians Will Get Break
- Dry Cleaner Pleads Guilty to Stealing Senator Ireti Kingibe’s Jewellery Worth N45.7 Million
Australian Foreign Minister Penny Wong separately expressed outrage at the decision, stating that the Israeli military’s response fell short of the standards of accountability Australia expected following the killing of Australian aid worker Zomi Frankcom and six other WCK workers. Wong summoned Israel’s ambassador to Australia, Hillel Newman, to express her concerns and later acknowledged that relations between Australia and Israel were at a “difficult time.” She said the government had learned of Israel’s decision moments before it was announced on World Humanitarian Day, which she described as “especially insulting to Zomi’s loved ones, humanitarians and all Australians.” The foreign minister said key questions remained unanswered, including why two further strikes followed the initial attack, each two minutes apart, why the strikes occurred in a humanitarian “fire control” zone, and Israel’s repeated refusals to hand over audio evidence of the attack. Wong stated that Australia did not have confidence in the IDF’s Military Advocate-General’s process given the many unanswered questions.
Frankcom’s family expressed deep disappointment and called on the Australian government to pursue all available legal avenues for an independent and credible investigation. Her brother, Josh Frankcom, said Israel’s decision was “simply not good enough.” The family has been vocal in demanding accountability for Zomi’s death, and they have questioned why the Israeli military has not provided a satisfactory explanation for the attack.
Israeli Ambassador to Australia Hillel Newman defended the military investigation, saying it was thorough and that the findings should not be attacked if they were not suitable to one’s political agenda. He said the IDF conceded serious failures had led soldiers to mistakenly believe a Hamas fighter was travelling with the convoy, but concluded there was no criminal intent. Newman said Israel was open to discussing reparations for Frankcom’s family if a formal request was lodged, but he stopped short of offering a formal apology, saying doing so could have legal ramifications. The IDF’s decision came alongside announcements that it would open criminal investigations into two other high-profile Gaza incidents: the killing of six-year-old Hind Rajab and six family members in January 2024, and the killing of 15 rescue workers in a Rafah convoy in March 2024. The United Nations has accused Israel of failing to provide adequate accountability for civilian deaths in Gaza, and the latest decision is likely to deepen international isolation for Israel.
UK, Australia, Canada Lead 28 Nations in Condemning Israel Over Gaza Aid Killings Probe Closure
![]()
International
North Korea Fires 10+ Missiles Hours After Trump Signals Fresh Kim Summit
International
Ecuador Intelligence Chief, 5 Americans Killed in Kenya Helicopter Crash
Ecuador Intelligence Chief, 5 Americans Killed in Kenya Helicopter Crash
![]()
-
metro3 days agoPalace Chaos: Police Say Cultists Targeted Davido, Not Gov Adeleke, in Deadly Osogbo Shooting
-
metro3 days agoPFIPC Scandal: Tinubu Orders Forensic Probe as ICPC Uncovers Multiple Fake Agencies
-
News3 days agoTinubu orders transfer of EFCC cash recoveries, N242bn unclaimed dividends to NELFUND
-
Politics3 days agoAtiku Dismisses Obasanjo’s Political Clout, Says Ex-President Has ‘No Electoral Value’
-
metro2 days agoHistory in Makkah: Nigerian Teen Wins Prestigious Qur’anic Contest, Breaks 46-Year Gender Barrier
-
metro2 days agoFormer MFM Pastor Femi Jimoh Dies After Years of Detention, Legal Dispute
-
News2 days agoDelta Governor Reveals ₦503,000 Monthly Salary, Says Permanent Secretaries Earn ₦900,000
-
Politics2 days agoPBAT Door-to-Door Movement Holds Kano Rally, Strengthens APC Ties Ahead of 2027
