International
US launches fresh strikes on Iran after tanker attacks in Strait of Hormuz
US launches fresh strikes on Iran after tanker attacks in Strait of Hormuz
The United States has launched a fresh wave of military strikes against Iran, targeting more than 80 military sites after three commercial oil tankers were attacked in the Strait of Hormuz, dramatically escalating tensions in the Gulf and raising fresh concerns over global energy supplies.
The strikes, announced by the US Central Command (CENTCOM) on Tuesday, targeted over 80 Iranian military assets, including missile launch sites, command-and-control centres, radar installations, air defence systems, drone launch facilities and more than 60 Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps (IRGC) fast attack boats operating in the strategic waterway.
According to CENTCOM, the operation was designed to “impose heavy costs” on Iran for what Washington described as attacks on commercial vessels crewed by innocent civilians in international waters.
The military action followed separate attacks on three oil tankers transiting the Strait of Hormuz, one of the world’s busiest shipping lanes through which nearly one-fifth of global oil supplies pass.
The United Kingdom Maritime Trade Operations (UKMTO) confirmed that one tanker caught fire after an unidentified projectile struck its engine room, while two other vessels sustained damage in separate incidents but were able to continue their voyages.
Although Iran has not officially admitted responsibility for the attacks, the United States, Qatar, and Saudi Arabia have accused Tehran of orchestrating the assaults.
Qatar said one of its vessels, Al-Rekayyat, was deliberately targeted while sailing near the Strait of Hormuz, while Saudi Arabia said its crude oil tanker, Wadyan, was also struck during transit.
READ ALSO:
- Nollywood actress appeals for support as recurring cancer spreads to bones
- Xenophobic attacks: Senate threatens review of diplomatic relations with South Africa
- NELFUND, EFCC intensify probe into 34 institutions over alleged unpaid student refunds
Iran rejected the allegations, insisting that commercial vessels failing to coordinate with Iranian maritime authorities or tampering with navigation systems risked accidents and collisions.
Hours after the US operation, the Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps (IRGC) announced retaliatory missile and drone strikes on what it described as 85 US military facilities in Bahrain and Kuwait.
The IRGC claimed the attacks targeted the headquarters of the US Navy’s Fifth Fleet in Bahrain and Ali Al Salem Air Base in Kuwait. Independent verification of the extent of the reported attacks had not been immediately available.
Iranian state media also reported explosions in Qeshm Island, Bandar Abbas, Sirik, and other southern locations, saying several civilians were injured by flying debris following the US bombardment.
Iran’s Deputy Foreign Minister described the US military action as a clear violation of the US-Iran memorandum of understanding signed last month, warning that Tehran would take “decisive measures” to defend its sovereignty.
The country’s Foreign Ministry also condemned Washington’s decision to revoke a temporary waiver that had allowed limited Iranian oil exports under the agreement.
According to Iranian officials, the move demonstrates the “bad faith, inconsistency and unreliability” of the US government and effectively undermines diplomatic efforts.
Before launching the strikes, the US Treasury revoked the waiver that had temporarily eased oil sanctions on Iran.
The decision restores restrictions on Iranian crude exports and significantly increases economic pressure on Tehran.
US President Donald Trump warned that Washington was prepared to carry out further military operations if Iran continued attacking commercial shipping or violated the ceasefire framework reached last month.
Despite the latest escalation, US officials said diplomatic negotiations remain open and that Washington continues to pursue a long-term agreement with Tehran.
The renewed confrontation has heightened fears of prolonged instability in the Strait of Hormuz, a critical maritime corridor linking the Persian Gulf with global markets.
Any sustained disruption to shipping through the waterway could significantly affect global energy supplies and drive up international oil prices.
Oil markets reacted immediately to the latest developments, with crude prices climbing as investors weighed the risk of further attacks and possible disruptions to one of the world’s most important oil transit routes.
The latest exchange of military action represents one of the most serious confrontations between the United States and Iran since the two countries signed a 14-point memorandum aimed at extending a ceasefire and reducing hostilities across the region.
While both sides continue to insist that diplomatic channels remain open, the latest escalation has cast fresh doubt over the future of the agreement and renewed fears of a wider regional conflict.
US launches fresh strikes on Iran after tanker attacks in Strait of Hormuz
![]()
International
UK, Australia, Canada Lead 28 Nations in Condemning Israel Over Gaza Aid Killings Probe Closure
UK, Australia, Canada Lead 28 Nations in Condemning Israel Over Gaza Aid Killings Probe Closure
The United Kingdom, Australia, and Canada have condemned Israel’s decision to close a criminal investigation into the 2024 killing of seven World Central Kitchen (WCK) aid workers in Gaza, calling the move “shameful” and “both too little, and too late.” The announcement came on World Humanitarian Day, August 19, 2026, a timing the three governments described as “particularly egregious.”
The Israeli military announced on August 19 that it would not pursue criminal proceedings into the April 1, 2024 strike on the WCK convoy, saying there was no reasonable suspicion of criminal misconduct. The attack killed seven humanitarian workers who were delivering food to civilians in Gaza. The victims included Australian aid worker Zomi Frankcom, three British security personnel, a dual Canadian-US citizen Jacob Flickinger, Polish national Damian Sobol, and Palestinian Saifeddin Issam Ayad Abutaha. The deadly strike occurred despite the convoy having coordinated its route with the Israeli military, and the vehicles were clearly marked with the WCK logo.
In a joint statement issued on August 21, the foreign ministries of the three countries said they had spent more than two years pressing Israel to conduct a swift and thorough investigation into the attack and hold those responsible to account. The governments noted that at the time, the Israel Defense Forces had described the incident as a serious mistake and failure, and that in the more than two years since, they had been pressing for Israel to swiftly and thoroughly consider the case and hold those responsible to account. The statement said the decision to close the case without further explanation was “shameful” and that announcing it on World Humanitarian Day, while the world honoured the courage and sacrifice of humanitarians, was particularly egregious. The governments stressed that the World Central Kitchen attack was not an isolated incident, arguing that the lack of accountability extended to numerous other incidents involving humanitarian workers in Gaza, noting that despite a fragile ceasefire, Gaza remains the deadliest place to deliver aid, with 186 humanitarian workers killed in 2025.
READ ALSO:
- 2027: Wike Declares Adeleke Belongs to Tinubu Camp, Predicts ‘Largest Rainbow Coalition’
- Just In: FG Announces Public Holiday – Here’s When Nigerians Will Get Break
- Dry Cleaner Pleads Guilty to Stealing Senator Ireti Kingibe’s Jewellery Worth N45.7 Million
Australian Foreign Minister Penny Wong separately expressed outrage at the decision, stating that the Israeli military’s response fell short of the standards of accountability Australia expected following the killing of Australian aid worker Zomi Frankcom and six other WCK workers. Wong summoned Israel’s ambassador to Australia, Hillel Newman, to express her concerns and later acknowledged that relations between Australia and Israel were at a “difficult time.” She said the government had learned of Israel’s decision moments before it was announced on World Humanitarian Day, which she described as “especially insulting to Zomi’s loved ones, humanitarians and all Australians.” The foreign minister said key questions remained unanswered, including why two further strikes followed the initial attack, each two minutes apart, why the strikes occurred in a humanitarian “fire control” zone, and Israel’s repeated refusals to hand over audio evidence of the attack. Wong stated that Australia did not have confidence in the IDF’s Military Advocate-General’s process given the many unanswered questions.
Frankcom’s family expressed deep disappointment and called on the Australian government to pursue all available legal avenues for an independent and credible investigation. Her brother, Josh Frankcom, said Israel’s decision was “simply not good enough.” The family has been vocal in demanding accountability for Zomi’s death, and they have questioned why the Israeli military has not provided a satisfactory explanation for the attack.
Israeli Ambassador to Australia Hillel Newman defended the military investigation, saying it was thorough and that the findings should not be attacked if they were not suitable to one’s political agenda. He said the IDF conceded serious failures had led soldiers to mistakenly believe a Hamas fighter was travelling with the convoy, but concluded there was no criminal intent. Newman said Israel was open to discussing reparations for Frankcom’s family if a formal request was lodged, but he stopped short of offering a formal apology, saying doing so could have legal ramifications. The IDF’s decision came alongside announcements that it would open criminal investigations into two other high-profile Gaza incidents: the killing of six-year-old Hind Rajab and six family members in January 2024, and the killing of 15 rescue workers in a Rafah convoy in March 2024. The United Nations has accused Israel of failing to provide adequate accountability for civilian deaths in Gaza, and the latest decision is likely to deepen international isolation for Israel.
UK, Australia, Canada Lead 28 Nations in Condemning Israel Over Gaza Aid Killings Probe Closure
![]()
International
North Korea Fires 10+ Missiles Hours After Trump Signals Fresh Kim Summit
International
Ecuador Intelligence Chief, 5 Americans Killed in Kenya Helicopter Crash
Ecuador Intelligence Chief, 5 Americans Killed in Kenya Helicopter Crash
![]()
-
metro3 days agoPalace Chaos: Police Say Cultists Targeted Davido, Not Gov Adeleke, in Deadly Osogbo Shooting
-
metro3 days agoPFIPC Scandal: Tinubu Orders Forensic Probe as ICPC Uncovers Multiple Fake Agencies
-
News3 days agoTinubu orders transfer of EFCC cash recoveries, N242bn unclaimed dividends to NELFUND
-
Politics3 days agoAtiku Dismisses Obasanjo’s Political Clout, Says Ex-President Has ‘No Electoral Value’
-
metro2 days agoHistory in Makkah: Nigerian Teen Wins Prestigious Qur’anic Contest, Breaks 46-Year Gender Barrier
-
metro2 days agoFormer MFM Pastor Femi Jimoh Dies After Years of Detention, Legal Dispute
-
News2 days agoDelta Governor Reveals ₦503,000 Monthly Salary, Says Permanent Secretaries Earn ₦900,000
-
Politics2 days agoPBAT Door-to-Door Movement Holds Kano Rally, Strengthens APC Ties Ahead of 2027
