Categories: metro

Gunmen attack Benue again, kill family of five, six others

Gunmen have hacked to death five members of a family and six other people in their farms at Waya community in Jato-Aka of Kwande Local Government Area of Benue State.

The incident happened on Thursday while the people were working at their various farms but the search for their bodies began at night and 11 corpses had been recovered as of Friday morning.
Some villagers said the deceased were silently silently killed on the farms and that many got to know of the incident when relatives started raising alarm over the whereabouts of their loved ones who went to the farms and did not return.
They added that a search party for the missing people immediately went to the various farms only to discover dead bodies in different locations.
They disclosed that so far, 11 corpses had been recovered.
The villagers listed names of some of the recovered bodies severely mutilated to include; Gbaeren Orsoo, Terdoo Tsega, Bemdoo Tsega, Abacha Tsega, Terkaa Tsega, Aôndoaseer Tyov, Iorhen Atim and Aôndowase Igba among others.
Chairman of Kwande LGA, Mrs Tartor Chianson, said she confirmed the recovery of eight dead bodies before she left the area for Makurdi to report the incident.
Chianson, who spoke to journalists on the telephone, said the slain victims had been deposited in the morgue while troops of Operation While Stroke (OPWS) are still combing the bush for more recoveries.
She said it was even difficult at the moment to determine the exact figure of causality as their could be more corpses in the bush following complaints of missing persons by their relatives.
The chairman said, “My people went to the farm on Thursday because it rained on Wednesday night so they went to the farm to prepare the land for planting and they were ambushed and killed differently in their farms at Waya community close to Anwase.”
“The attackers came few days ago, and set a lot of houses ablaze, they also kidnapped some other persons, took away their machines and later brought their mutilated bodies and dumped. All that they are doing is just to collect our ancestral homes as I speak with you five council wards are under siege, they include Mbachura, Kumakwagh, Yaav, Moon and Mbaikyur.
“Over 50 persons have lost their lives in the area in the last three months.”

Trends Admin

Recent Posts

UTME: JAMB Clarifies Position on Hijab During Biometric Capture

UTME: JAMB Clarifies Position on Hijab During Biometric Capture The Joint Admissions and Matriculation Board…

3 hours ago

NNPC CEO Ojulari Receives Prestigious Energy Institute Fellowship in London

NNPC CEO Ojulari Receives Prestigious Energy Institute Fellowship in London The Nigerian National Petroleum Company…

8 hours ago

FCT Polls: CSO Situation Room Flags Late Voting, Vote Buying, Logistical Challenges

FCT Polls: CSO Situation Room Flags Late Voting, Vote Buying, Logistical Challenges The Nigeria Civil…

8 hours ago

ADC Defeats APC to Win First Polling Unit in FCT Area Council Election

ADC Defeats APC to Win First Polling Unit in FCT Area Council Election The African…

8 hours ago

Trump Moves to Indefinitely Suspend Work Permits for Asylum Seekers

Trump Moves to Indefinitely Suspend Work Permits for Asylum Seekers United States President, Donald Trump,…

8 hours ago

Peller Escapes Generator Fire at Lagos Home, Recalls Earlier Lekki–Epe Scare

Peller Escapes Generator Fire at Lagos Home, Recalls Earlier Lekki–Epe Scare Nigerian TikTok sensation and…

9 hours ago