metro
Hajj fare: Why NAHCON charged pilgrims additional $100 each

Hajj fare: Why NAHCON charged pilgrims additional $100 each
Despite repeated assurances to the contrary, the National Hajj Commission of Nigeria (NAHCON) has resorted to charging additional $100 each from the 75,000 states pilgrims because of the Sudan’s civil war.
The local air carriers had earlier demanded an increase per pilgrim as additional cost occasioned by additional flight time to Saudi Arabia because of the closure of the Sudan air space. Consequently, $250 was agreed between the carriers and commission after the negotiations.
The commission said the federal government has waived the remaining 35 percent aviation charges (having waived 65 percent earlier), which translates to $55.
“The liability of the remaining $195 will be borne by 75,000 pilgrims which is calculated at $117 per pilgrim (one hundred and seventeen Dollars),” the commission said in a letter dated May 18, signed by NAHCON chairman and CEO Zikirullah Kunle Hassan, and sent to the state governors and the Minister of State for FCT Ramatu Tijjani Aliyu; and copied the executive secretaries of the state pilgrims boards.
The commission, according to the official communications, said it will deduct $100 each from the $800 Basic Traveling Allowance (BTA) of the pilgrims.
Parts of the letter reads, “the Commission resolved to reduce the Basic Travelling Allowance (BTA) for 2023 Haj Pilgrims to the sum of $700 (Seven hundred Dollars) as against Eight Hundred Dollars ($800.00) previously provided.”
READ ALSO:
- Buhari to inaugurate rail wagon assembly plant in Ogun today
- Gunmen abduct Catholic Priest in Imo
- How suspected vigilantes killed 11 herders, women, children in Oyo community
This newspaper had earlier reported plans by the hajj commission to deduct the fare increase from the pilgrims BTA. But on Saturday May 13, Mr Hassan, during his opening remarks at the Opening Ceremony and Dinner of a One- Day Workshop Seminar on Hajj Management, impliedly denied that, saying the commission will not ask pilgrims to make any increment.
The air ticket component of the 2023 hajj fare for northern states was pegged at $1,780 (N826, 810 at N464.5/$ official exchange rate). While the southern states pay $1, 950 (N898,000).
With the $250 increment now, the flight ticket will rise to $2,030 (N942,935) for northern pilgrims, and $2,200 (N1,021,900) for southern pilgrims.
However, findings by this newspaper revealed that an average return ticket from Abuja to Jeddah, Saudi Arabia through Egypt Air cost N887,502; while the same return ticket cost N538,841 on Ethiopian Airlines.
Aviation experts told this newspaper that this makes Nigerian hajj flight ticket one of the most expensive in the world.
This is clear from the way it surpassed the return ticket being charged by Ethiopian Air (N538,841); and Egypt Air’s N887,502 to Jeddah and Madinah.
Also, both Ethiopian and Egypt airlines are equally spending almost 7 hours flight time to Jeddah/ Madinah from Nigeria due to the Sudan conflict which is the raison d’être for the $250 hike.
In the letter, NAHCON said all the BTA of the 75,000 pilgrims will be deducted and share to the four local airlines – Max Air, Air Peace, Azman Air and Aero Contractors.- that refused to sign the airlift agreement because of the Sudan conflict.
The Saudi Arabian -designated airline Flynas, which was the only carrier that signed the agreement despite the conflict in Sudan, was surprisingly excluded from the sharing even though its over 28,000 allocated pilgrims from Lagos, Ogun, Osun, Oyo, Niger, Zamfara, Sokoto and Kebbi states will be affected by the $100 deduction.
It was reliably gathered that state executive secretaries of the nine states allocated to Flynas are planning a showdown with NAHCON tomorrow Monday. They vow to resist the commission plans to deduct their pilgrims BTA and give to other airlines that won’t airlift their pilgrims, a source said.
Aviation stakeholders have criticized NAHCON over this arbitrary decision, saying “why deducting Flynas pilgrims BTA to share it to others.”
Hajj fare: Why NAHCON charged pilgrims additional $100 each
metro
Notorious bandit leader Bello Turji goes berserk, kills 12 to celebrates Eid

Notorious bandit leader Bello Turji goes berserk, kills 12 to celebrates Eid
In a shocking development, notorious bandit leader Bello Turji reportedly hosted an elaborate Eid celebration in Magira, Isa Local Government Area (LGA) of Sokoto State, before leading his gang to brutally murder 12 people and injure one in Fadamar Lugu on Tuesday.
The revelation was made by security analyst Bakatsine in a post on X on Wednesday. According to him, Turji’s feast was attended by fellow bandits from neighboring Zamfara State, marking a brazen display of impunity.
READ ALSO:
- Uromi killings: Deputy Senate President donates N16m to victims’ families
- ‘I’m not broke’, NURTW leader Agbede denies selling Lagos mansion for N420m
- Toyota corporation taps on Winpart by CFAO to distribute CWorks batteries in Nigeria
Following the celebration, Turji and his men stormed Fadamar Lugu, unleashing terror on innocent residents.
“Bandit leader Bello Turji hosted an Eid celebration in Magira, Isa LGA, with bandits from Zamfara State. After the feast, he moved to Fadamar Lugu in Isa LGA, Sokoto State, killing 12 people & injuring one person just for fun,” Bakatsine wrote in his post.
Bello Turji, one of the most wanted bandits in Nigeria, has been linked to numerous killings, kidnappings, and attacks across Sokoto and Zamfara States.
Notorious bandit leader Bello Turji goes berserk, kills 12 to celebrates Eid
metro
‘I’m not broke’, NURTW leader Agbede denies selling Lagos mansion for N420m

‘I’m not broke’, NURTW leader Agbede denies selling Lagos mansion for N420m
National Chairman of the defunct National CareTaker Committee of the National Union of Road Transport Workers( NURTW) and two terms chairman of the Lagos State council of the union, Alhaji Tajudeen Agbede, has strongly denied the rumours making rounds that he disposed of one of his houses in the Oko Oba axis of Agege, Lagos for N420m.
Reacting to the allegation, the NURTW boss stated, “It has come to my attention that a story has gone viral claiming that I, Alhaji Tajudeen Agbede, have sold one of my mansions in Oko-Oba for a staggering #420 million. I am compelled to respond to this blatant falsehood and set the record straight.
“Firstly, I do own more than one house in the Oko-Oba area, but none of them have been put up for sale. The house in question is actually undergoing renovation, and contractors are currently working on it to make it more habitable.”
Agbede challenged anyone to prove him wrong by providing documents to back up the alleged transactions. “I challenge anyone who claims to have purchased this property to produce the necessary documents and papers to support their claim. I am confident that no such evidence exists, as this transaction is purely a figment of the imagination.
He appealed to members of the the public to disregard the false news and to be cautious of the spread of misinformation.
“I appreciate the support and understanding of my friends, family, and colleagues in this matter.l want to use this opportunity to assure my friends and fans that I am not broke , so nothing can warrant selling of my property,” he said.
metro
Uromi killings: Deputy Senate President donates N16m to victims’ families

Uromi killings: Deputy Senate President donates N16m to victims’ families
Deputy President of the Senate, Barau Jibrin, on Wednesday visited Bunkure Local Government Area of Kano State and sympathised with the families of the 16 travellers who were killed in Uromi, Edo State.
Jibrin met with the families of the victims who hailed from Bunkure, Kibiya, Rano and Garko Local Government Areas, at the At-Taqwa Mosque in the Sabon Fegi area of Bunkure town.
A statement by the Special Adviser on Media and Publicity to the Deputy President of the Senate, Ismail Mudashir, said Senator Barau reassured the families of the deceased hunters that the perpetrators would be brought to book.
Mudashir said Senator Barau was accompanied on the visit by the Minister of State of Housing and Urban Development, Yusuf Abdullahi Ata, the Managing Director of the North West Development Commission (NWDC), Prof.Abdullahi Shehu Ma’aji, among other dignitaries.
In addition to the 14 suspects earlier arrested, he said, security agents had nabbed two more persons in connection with the killing of the hunters.
READ ALSO:
- Portable, Speed Darlington set for boxing match
- Ondo bricklayer flees after wife gives birth to triplets
- Edo Gov Okpebholo wins round one as tribunal upholds his election
The lawmaker announced a donation of N1m to each of the families of the 16 deceased hunters, totalling N16m.
The Deputy President of the Senate said he would also sponsor a motion on the matter when the Senate resumes later this month.
“I am here to sympathise with you over the tragic incident that led to the death of 16 of our brothers last Thursday. May Allah grant them Jannatul Firdaus and quicken the recovery of those injured.
“I was worried when the incident happened. I had to call the state governor, security agencies and all stakeholders involved. They swung into action, and so far apart from the 14 people who have been arrested, two more suspects have been nabbed. The state governor, who visited my house in Abuja, has assured me that the state government will support you.
“We will not take it lightly. We will ensure that the culprits are brought to book and face the wrath of the law,” he said.
Speaking on behalf of the families, the Chief Imam of the area, Sheikh Zainul Abidina Auwal, thanked Senator Barau for his efforts at ensuring that justice is served on the matter and described him as the leader needed for the country’s development.
Uromi killings: Deputy Senate President donates N16m to victims’ families
-
metro2 days ago
BREAKING: Senator Natasha defies restrictions, arrives homecoming rally by helicopter [VIDEO]
-
metro2 days ago
Uromi: Edo residents flee towns over likely reprisal attack, arrest
-
International3 days ago
In pictures: Eid celebrations around the world
-
metro2 days ago
Breaking: ‘Cancel your homecoming’ — Police tell Senator Natasha
-
metro3 days ago
How they murdered my Kano-bound passengers in Edo
-
metro3 days ago
‘I was offered N5bn bribe to impeach Fubara’
-
metro24 hours ago
Breaking: Tinubu sacks Kyari, appoints Ojulari as new NNPCL GCEO
-
Sports3 days ago
Nigerian boxer collapses, dies in ring during fight in Ghana