Connect with us

metro

Headless Body Of Abducted Ex-Anambra Lawmaker Found

Published

on

Nelson Achukwu

•Victim paid N15m after being kidnapped first time

The headless body of the kidnapped Anambra State physically-challenged politician, Mr Nelson Achukwu, has been found by his relatives.

Nigerian Tribune gathered that the decapitated body of Achukwu was found between the boundary of Uke and Ukpor communities in Nnewi South Local Government Area of the state.

The body was then quickly buried by the family on Tuesday as it was already in a state of decomposition. Achukwu, a former member of the Anambra State House of Assembly and a businessman, was reportedly kidnapped from his home in Ukpor on June 9.

Although he had earlier been abducted by gunmen few months ago and later released after the payment of N15 million ransom, he was kidnapped again on June 9.

A family source said the late Achukwu informed members of his family when he was first released that the gunmen accused him of providing information to the military, but was released when they found out that the allegations levelled against him were false.

READ ALSO:

The reason for his second abduction and murder is still unknown.

A source said: “We didn’t believe he would be killed after we had already paid the N15 million ransom requested by his abductors.”

This is the second of such gruesome murders after the lawmaker representing Aguata 2 constituency in the state House of Assembly, Okechukwu Okoye, was beheaded by his abductors last May.

Confirming the incident, the state police spokesman, DSP Tochukwu Ikenga, said investigation was already ongoing into the case.

He said the command was doing everything within its power to arrest the perpetrators of the crime.

Ikenga said: “The victim was abducted at about 10:15 p.m. in his house on June 9 and efforts were being made to rescue him before this unfortunate development.

“His body was found between the boundary of Uke and Ukpor.

“We are still not relenting in our investigation as we will ensure that the culprits face the law.”
Tribune

metro

‘Yahoo boys’ landlords risk 15-year jail term, says EFCC tells

Published

on

The Economic Financial Commission Commission has warned that landlords may risk 15 years in jail for renting houses out to “Yahoo boys.”

The commission made this known ahead of its next edition of its public conversation series tagged, “ #EFCCConnect,” which has been slated to be held by 6pm on Twitter Space on Wednesday, June 29th 2022.
The commission’s Deputy Director, Legal and Prosecution, Sylvanus Tahir and Assistant Director, Legal and Prosecution, Cosmos Ugwu will be speaking on the topic, “Give your house to Yahoo boys, spend 15 years in jail” at the forum.
The EFCC had repeatedly warned house owners and commercial real estate agents against making properties available to cyber criminals and fraudsters.
The EFCC Chairman, Abdulrasheed Bawa, earlier met with hotel owners in Ilorin, the Kwara capital,l to sensitize the hospitality business community to how to work with the commission to tame the tide of cyber crimes.
The EFCC Zonal Commander, Michael Nzekwe, expressed concern about what he described as the “cold complicity by hospitality entrepreneurs.”
He accused some of the hotel owners of working with suspected fraudsters by housing them over a long period and making internet facilities available.
The official stated that the act negates Section 3 of the Advance Fee Fraud and Other Fraud Related Offenses Act, 2006.
He said, “The section provides for a prison term of between five and 15 years without option of fine for any person who permits his premises to be used for any offense under the Act.”
Nzekwe stated that the law doesn’t recognise the position that hoteliers are business people and cannot determine who a fraudster.
The EFCC had warned hoteliers to always ask their customers for means of identification and to include their occupation during the check-in procedure.

Continue Reading

metro

Brazilian Returnee Arrested With Cocaine In Private Part, NDLEA Seizes London-Bound Consignment

Published

on

Operatives of the National Drug Law Enforcement Agency (NDLEA) have arrested a Brazilian returnee, Uche Benson Igwedum
Igwedum was nabbed at the arrival hall of the Murtala Muhammed International Airport, Ikeja Lagos with pellets of cocaine concealed in his private part, NDLEA spokesman, Femi Babafemi said.
The NDLEA spokesman in a statement on Sunday noted that Igwedum was nabbed at the Lagos airport on Monday 20th June upon his arrival on Ethiopian Airlines from Sao Paulo, Brazil via Addis Ababa.
“Preliminary investigations reveal the suspect had swallowed 50 wraps of cocaine before departing Brazil and excreted 48 pellets in Addis Ababa where he handed them over to another person,” the statement read.
“He, however, claimed he was unable to excrete the remaining two wraps at the hotel room in Addis Ababa before boarding his flight but later excreted them in the aircraft restroom during the flight from Ethiopia to Lagos.”
Similarly, NDLEA operatives apprehended a drug kingpin, Onyekachi Chukwuma MacDonald, after three weeks of painstaking investigation and tracking.
READ ALSO:
He is accused of being behind attempts to export 40 parcels of Methamphetamine popularly called Mkpuru Mmiri locally to London, United Kingdom through the NAHCO export shed of the Lagos airport.
MacDonald was arrested at Manacola Estate, Alakuko area of Lagos at the weekend, three weeks after his Mkpuru Mmiri consignment weighing 2.05 kilograms was intercepted at the airport and his freight agent, Peter Christopher Anikan arrested on 7th June.
“During his interview, the suspect said he’s from Ahiazu, Mbaise Local Government Area of Imo state and had lived in Dubai, UAE for 10 years before returning to Nigeria in 2019.
“He stated that after his return to Nigeria, he opened a phone accessories shop in Sango Otta, Ogun State but the business collapsed. He then started sending cigarettes to London and decided to conceal the illicit drug in the consignment after advice from a friend.
“Closely related is the seizure of another consignment of 2kg Mkpuru Mmiri at a courier house in Owerri, Imo state. The cargo seized on Wednesday 22nd June had ankara and lace fabrics in which two cylindrical cellophanes containing the drug heading to Hong Kong were concealed,” the statement added.
Also at the Lagos airport, NDLEA operatives on Friday 24th June intercepted 500,000 tablets of Tramadol 225mg packed in 10 cartons and labelled Tramaking imported from Karachi, Pakistan on Emirates Airline. The consignment weighing 407.60kg was seized during a joint examination with Customs and NAFDAC officials.
The same day, a Dubai, UAE-bound passenger, Alegbeleye Taiwo was arrested at the departure hall of the MMIA with 40 ampoules of pentazocine injection. The 21-year-old suspect claims he’s from Osun state.
Meanwhile, two kingpins behind the importation of two recent drug consignments from Canada concealed in vehicle containers through the Tincan seaport in Apapa, Lagos have been arrested by NDLEA operatives.
One of them, Gboyega Ayoola Elegbeji was arrested at his house, 14 Bakare Street, Idi Araba, Lagos on Wednesday 22nd June, for importing a 40ft container TRHU7874497 containing 33 parcels of cannabis indica (Colorado) weighing16.5kg.
The second suspect, Sunday Joe Oyebola, (aka Otunba) was arrested on Thursday 23rd June. He’s linked to the importation of a 40ft container MEDU4389887 containing four vehicles used to conceal 290 parcels weighing 145kg cannabis indica (Colorado) from Montreal, Canada. He had been on the run since March and had in the course of the investigation attempted to bribe officers with N10million to influence the case.
In his response, NDLEA Chairman/Chief Executive, Brig. Gen. Mohamed Buba Marwa (retd) commended the officers and men of the MMIA, Tincan, and Imo state Commands of the Agency for the drug seizures and arrests, especially of those who thought they could evade the long arm of the law. He encouraged them and their compatriots across other formations to intensify their efforts toward achieving set goals.
HERALD
Continue Reading

metro

Bauchi man lures teenager to farm, plucks out eyes for ritual

Published

on

The Bauchi State Police Command has confirmed the arrest of a suspected ritualist, Isaac Ezekiel, for allegedly plucking the eyes of a 16-year-old boy, Uzairu Salisu.

Two accomplices, Nensok Bawa, 38, and Yohana Luka, aka Doctor Samu, 52, were also arrested in connection with the crime, which happened at Yelwa community, in the Bauchi area of the state.

PUNCH Metro gathered that the incident happened around 9am on June 24 when Ezekiel lured Salisu to do a casual job for him on a farm in the community.

Salisu was said to be doing the job when the suspect allegedly used a wire to strangulate him till he lost consciousness.

Afterwards, the 32-year-old reportedly used a knife to pluck out the two eyes of the minor and abandoned him on the farm.

READ ALSO:

The ward head, Mohammed Lawal, who was among the people who found the minor writhing in pain, alerted the police to the incident.

The victim was said to have identified Ezekiel as the culprit, leading to his arrest.

In a statement on Monday, the state Police Public Relations Officer, SP Ahmed Wakil, said Ezekiel and his accomplices had been arrested, adding that the victim’s eyeballs were also recovered.

He said, “Sequel to the case of a suspected ritualist who plucked the eyes of a minor, the suspect, Isaac Ezekiel, 32, of Rafin Zurfi, Yelwa, Bauchi metropolitan, has been arrested, and he voluntarily confessed to the crime.

“A prompt search of his house by the police led to the recovery of Uzairu Salisu’s eyeballs. Exhibits recovered from the suspect are the two human eyeballs in a calabash, the cable wire used in perpetrating the heinous act and a travelling bag containing some native medicine.”

Noting that Bawa and Luka connived with Ezekiel to perpetrate the crime, the PPRO said all the suspects would be prosecuted at the completion of investigation.

Continue Reading

Trending