metro
How Controversial PFIPC DG Lived in Alaafin’s Palace, Forged His Way into Govt System
How Controversial PFIPC DG Lived in Alaafin’s Palace, Forged His Way into Govt System
The unfolding scandal surrounding Prince Adeniyi Mathew Adeyemi, the self-proclaimed Director-General of the alleged ghost agency, Presidential Foreign Investment Promotion Council (PFIPC), has taken a new turn with revelations about his past ties to the Palace of the Alaafin of Oyo and how he allegedly infiltrated the Federal Government system using forged documents. Investigations conducted by federal agencies from early 2025 revealed that the controversial DG was not biologically related to the late monarch, Oba Lamidi Adeyemi III, but rather grew up in the palace and adopted the title of prince. Sources confirmed to the Nigerian Tribune that Adeniyi Mathew’s situation caught the attention of security agencies early last year, triggering investigations across multiple locations, including educational institutions, business links, and childhood locations. A top aide to the late Alaafin Adeyemi confirmed to investigators that the said Prince Adeniyi Mathew Adeyemi was not in any way related to Oba Lamidi Adeyemi. The top aide also confirmed that the surname of the controversial DG is Adeniyi, while his middle name is Mathew. It was gathered that at a stage, Oba Adeyemi had to warn him to drop the use of the title of Prince because he was never a prince.
The controversy surrounding Adeyemi escalated following an altercation with the Chief of Staff to the President, Femi Gbajabiamila, who disowned him and accused him of running an illegal body. Documents reviewed showed that the Office of the Secretary to the Government of the Federation (OSGF), the Office of the Accountant-General of the Federation (OAGF), and the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) acted on letters from Adeyemi’s PFIPC, apparently believing the council was a legitimate agency under the Presidency. Adeyemi’s claim to office reportedly began with a purported appointment letter dated March 8, 2024, conveying his appointment as Director-General of the Presidential Foreign Investment Promotion Council (PFIPC). The letter claimed President Bola Tinubu approved the appointment effective March 1, 2024, was written on what appeared to be State House letterhead, and carried a signature placed above Gbajabiamila’s name. The Chief of Staff has denied writing or signing the letter. According to a highly-placed civil servant who reviewed the document after Adeyemi’s arrest, the DG exploited a bureaucratic blind spot. “Adeniyi took that fake letter, falsely signed by Gbajabiamila, to the civil service headquarters and said ‘please refer to my appointment letter attached.’ He arranged his terms of reference where he stated that he needed an office.” The civil servant noted that officials were supposed to know that the Chief of Staff does not appoint anyone at that level, but the loophole allowed the fraud to proceed.
READ ALSO:
- Netanyahu insists on Hamas disarmament before Gaza reconstruction
- ON THE IMPLEMENTATION OF THE ASUU-FGN 2025 AGREEMENT
- Mbappe Penalty Sends France Past Paraguay in Heated World Cup Clash
The PFIPC scandal revealed how a supposedly non-existent agency managed to secure official recognition and government resources. Documents showed that on July 29, 2025, the Office of the Accountant-General of the Federation wrote to the CBN requesting the creation of domiciliary accounts for two MDAs, including the PFIPC. On August 13, 2025, the CBN confirmed that it had opened dollar and pounds accounts for the council. Adeyemi also wrote to the Accountant-General’s office on January 13, 2025, requesting self-accounting status for the agency. Despite the letter being written on State House letterhead, it was signed by Adeyemi as Director-General of PFIPC. After further correspondence, the OAGF granted the council a six-month provisional self-accounting status effective May 27, 2025. The Office of the Secretary to the Government of the Federation formally processed and forwarded a request by the council’s self-styled Director-General seeking office accommodation from recovered Federal Government properties through the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission. Correspondence, dated November 21, 2024, was signed by the Permanent Secretary, General Services Office, Nnamdi Maurice Mbaeri, on behalf of the SGF. Court documents showed that Adeyemi eventually operated from the second floor of the Federal Secretariat Complex in Abuja. By April 2025, Adeyemi wrote to the OAGF requesting accounting and audit staff, and at least three civil servants from the OAGF were later deployed to the agency on August 28, 2025. Additionally, the Office of the Head of the Civil Service of the Federation reportedly approved 314 staff positions for the purported agency.
His matter became further complicated following the discovery that he operated a Treasury Single Account with the Central Bank of Nigeria and that his agency was allocated the sum of N1.3 billion in the 2026 budget, aside from the fact that he operates from the Federal Secretariat, Abuja. The budget allocation has raised serious questions about how a non-existent agency found its way into the national budget. SERAP has urged the Senate President and the Speaker of the House of Representatives to disclose certified copies of all documents relating to the consideration and approval of the allocation to the PFIPC in the 2026 Appropriation Act. The organization argued that Nigerians have a right to know whether public funds were appropriated for an entity that was not lawfully established. BudgIT also called on President Bola Tinubu to order an independent investigation into the N1.3 billion allocation, questioning how the alleged agency secured office space within the Federal Secretariat, operated several CBN accounts, and engaged government institutions, development partners and diplomatic missions before concerns were raised over its legitimacy.
The scandal has prompted calls for an independent investigation, with growing demands for transparency and accountability. Temitope Ajayi, Senior Special Assistant to President Bola Tinubu on Information and Public Affairs, acknowledged that it was impossible to deny the existence of internal collaborators in the fake agency scandal. The Presidency has directed security and anti-graft agencies to identify, arrest, and prosecute government officials who may have collaborated with Adeyemi to run the ‘phantom’ council. The Federal Government has filed an eight-count charge against Adeyemi before the Federal High Court, with hearing fixed for July 27, 2026. The charges include conspiracy, forgery of a presidential appointment letter, impersonation, and related offences.
Investigations have also revealed that Adeyemi previously served briefly in 2023 as Senior Special Assistant on Protocol to Osun State Governor, Ademola Adeleke. A top government source said Adeyemi was appointed to handle visa and travel documents for the governor and other officials but was dismissed after allegations of misconduct surfaced, including an incident where he allegedly forged the signature of Governor Adeleke. The scandal has led to calls for the Chief of Staff’s removal, with the Nigeria Democratic Congress (NDC) demanding that Gbajabiamila step aside to allow for an independent investigation. The opposition party questioned how an agency described as non-existent could allegedly secure government funding and operate financial accounts at the Central Bank of Nigeria.
How Controversial PFIPC DG Lived in Alaafin’s Palace, Forged His Way into Govt System
![]()
metro
Former MFM Pastor Femi Jimoh Dies After Years of Detention, Legal Dispute
Former MFM Pastor Femi Jimoh Dies After Years of Detention, Legal Dispute
Former pastor of the Mountain of Fire and Miracles Ministries, MFM, Femi Jimoh, has reportedly died, years after his release from a prolonged detention that became the centre of a bitter legal dispute involving the church.
Jimoh’s death was reported on Thursday, August 20, 2026, by UK-based Nigerian blogger Maureen Badejo and subsequently reported by Sahara Reporters and other media platforms. Reports said the former pastor had battled serious health challenges following his years in detention and an alleged gunshot injury to his leg. However, the specific cause of his death has not been independently established.
His death has brought renewed attention to the controversial case in which he and two other former MFM pastors were accused of conspiring to rob the church.
Jimoh was arrested in January 2008 and subsequently prosecuted alongside Henry Aiyewero and Caleb Oloruntele over allegations connected with a planned robbery of MFM.
Court records later showed that Jimoh remained in custody for about eight years before he was discharged and acquitted by a Lagos State High Court. The National Industrial Court, in a subsequent judgment concerning his employment dispute with MFM, noted that he had been arrested on January 25, 2008, prosecuted for robbery and conspiracy to rob the church, and remained incarcerated until his acquittal and discharge.
Following his release, Jimoh became increasingly vocal about his experience in detention. His account gained widespread attention after a 2024 interview with Yoruba Gidi TV, during which he alleged that his ordeal had begun after he encountered Michael Gbadamosi, who was then the Chief Security Officer to MFM founder, Pastor Daniel Olukoya, at the residence of a native doctor.
Jimoh alleged that he was subsequently arrested and detained without knowing the offence for which he was being held.
He further claimed that he was initially kept in a cell for about 30 days without access to a lawyer and was later subjected to physical abuse.
According to his account, he was handcuffed and transported in the boot of a vehicle before being taken to Olukoya’s residence. He alleged that he pleaded with the MFM founder not to allow him to be returned to police custody because he did not understand why he was being detained.
Jimoh also made the serious allegation that a Divisional Police Officer shot him in the leg during his detention.
He claimed that he was subsequently taken to the Special Anti-Robbery Squad, SARS, where he and others allegedly spent several weeks before being charged with offences including conspiracy, armed robbery and felony. These allegations were made by Jimoh and have not been independently established as facts.
The Mountain of Fire and Miracles Ministries strongly rejected Jimoh’s allegations.
In a statement issued in 2024, the church denied that it or its General Overseer, Pastor Daniel Olukoya, had imprisoned Jimoh or Caleb Oloruntele for nine years.
MFM’s Chief Legal Adviser, Davidson Adejuwon, described the allegations as false and maintained that the church did not frame the former pastors or cause them to remain in custody. The church also disputed claims that Olukoya had used his influence to secure their prolonged detention.
MFM maintained that the criminal case was a matter between the accused persons and the relevant law-enforcement and prosecuting authorities, rather than an action in which the church had unlawfully detained them.
The controversy did not end with Jimoh’s release.
He subsequently instituted proceedings concerning his employment relationship with MFM, including claims relating to his salary and employment status during the period he was incarcerated.
In its judgment, the National Industrial Court examined the circumstances surrounding his arrest and prolonged incarceration.
The court record stated that MFM had argued that Jimoh had effectively abandoned his employment because of his prolonged absence. The church also maintained that his arrest and prosecution were undertaken by the police and the Lagos State authorities and were not caused by the church in the manner alleged by Jimoh.
The court, however, found that Jimoh could not reasonably be regarded as having voluntarily absconded from work because he was in custody following his arrest and prosecution. The judgment noted that he had remained incarcerated for about eight years until his acquittal and discharge.
The legal battle therefore became a separate chapter in the long-running controversy surrounding his relationship with the church.
The criminal case eventually ended in Jimoh’s favour when the Lagos State High Court discharged and acquitted him and the other defendants.
The acquittal became a central part of Jimoh’s subsequent public account of his experience, particularly his argument that he had spent years in custody over allegations he maintained were unfounded.
However, the acquittal did not resolve all the disagreements between Jimoh and MFM, with the former pastor continuing to make allegations against the church and its leadership, while MFM consistently rejected his claims.
Jimoh’s reported death has now revived public interest in the circumstances surrounding his arrest, years-long detention and subsequent legal battles.
His supporters and commentators have questioned why he spent so many years in custody before the conclusion of his trial, while others have pointed to the need to distinguish between allegations made by the late pastor and matters established by the courts.
For now, reports surrounding his death remain subject to further confirmation, particularly regarding the circumstances and medical cause of his passing.
The controversy surrounding his detention also remains a complex matter involving allegations by Jimoh, denials by MFM and documented court proceedings.
As news of his death spread on Thursday, tributes and reactions began emerging online, with many Nigerians recalling the former pastor’s emotional accounts of his years in custody and the prolonged dispute that followed his release.
Jimoh’s death marks the end of the life of a former MFM minister whose name became closely associated with one of the most controversial detention and church-related legal disputes to attract significant public attention in Nigeria in recent years.
For the family, former colleagues and supporters, however, the immediate focus is likely to be on mourning his passing, while questions surrounding his long detention and the events that followed continue to generate public debate.
Former MFM Pastor Femi Jimoh Dies After Years of Detention, Legal Dispute
![]()
metro
40 Feared Dead as Overloaded Boat Carrying Farmers and Children Capsizes in Sokoto
metro
EFCC arraigns two over alleged unlawful supply of FCMB access credentials
EFCC arraigns two over alleged unlawful supply of FCMB access credentials
The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) has arraigned two men before the Federal High Court in Ikoyi, Lagos, over the alleged unlawful supply of bank access credentials capable of providing access to the database of First City Monument Bank (FCMB).
The defendants, Gideon Bakpa Aghogho and Oscar Ebere Chukwuebuka, were arraigned on Wednesday by the Lagos Zonal Directorate 1 of the EFCC before Justice F.N. Ogazi on an eight-count charge bordering on the alleged unlawful disclosure and supply of access credentials to the bank’s computer system.
A third suspect, identified simply as Scott, was also named in the charges but remains at large.
The offences were brought under Sections 27 and 28(1)(b) of the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, Etc.) Act, 2015, as amended in 2024, according to the prosecution.
One of the counts alleged that the defendants, between July 24 and July 26, 2026, conspired to supply Aghogho’s access code to the FCMB system through a local administrative credential.
The EFCC alleged that the credential was capable of granting access to the bank’s Virtual Centre Platform and was supplied with the intention of using the access to commit an offence.
In another count, the commission alleged that Aghogho, sometime between April and May 2025, knowingly and without lawful authority disclosed sensitive credentials connected to FCMB’s systems.
READ ALSO:
- PBAT Door-to-Door Movement Holds Kano Rally, Strengthens APC Ties Ahead of 2027
- Security Forces Kill 24 Bandits, Foil Mass Abduction Plot in Katsina Community
- FG strengthens emergency response, releases medical hotlines for Nigerians
According to the prosecution, the information allegedly included the bank’s server IP and domain credentials, which could be used to gain access to the bank’s database.
The EFCC further alleged that the credentials were supplied in exchange for $15,000.
When the charges were read to the defendants, Aghogho pleaded not guilty, while Chukwuebuka pleaded guilty.
Following Aghogho’s plea, EFCC prosecution counsel Bilkisu Buhari asked the court to fix a date for trial and sought an order for his remand in a correctional facility.
In relation to Chukwuebuka, who entered a guilty plea, the prosecution requested an opportunity to review the facts of the case before proceeding with the matter.
Justice Ogazi subsequently adjourned the case until August 27, 2026, for review of facts and other proceedings.
The judge also ordered that both defendants be remanded in a correctional centre pending the next hearing.
The case centres on allegations involving the unauthorised disclosure and supply of privileged banking-system credentials, raising wider concerns about the security of financial institutions’ digital infrastructure.
Administrative credentials can provide elevated access to computer systems and, if improperly disclosed or used, may expose sensitive databases and other protected resources to unauthorised persons. The alleged conduct in this case is therefore being prosecuted under Nigeria’s cybercrime legislation.
The EFCC’s allegations, however, have not been established as facts by the court. The prosecution will be required to prove its case through evidence, while the defendants remain entitled to the presumption of innocence until otherwise determined by the court.
The case will return before Justice Ogazi on August 27 for further proceedings.
EFCC arraigns two over alleged unlawful supply of FCMB access credentials
![]()
-
metro2 days agoPalliative Care, Not Abandonment: Doctor Clears the Air on Ogogo’s Stage-Four Cancer Treatment
-
Insurance2 days agoNAICOM revokes Universal Insurance licence over ₦15bn capital shortfall
-
Education2 days agoWAEC 2026 results: Schools raise alarm over alleged grading anomalies
-
metro2 days agoLagos Pensioners Give Sanwo-Olu 19-Day Ultimatum: Implement Wage Award or Face ‘Mother of All Protests’
-
Politics2 days ago‘No Electoral Agreement with ADC’ – Adeleke Rejects Collaboration Claims, Credits God
-
Politics3 days agoOsun guber: APC rejects Adeleke’s victory, begins audit of INEC results
-
Entertainment2 days agoVeteran Nollywood Actor Ogogo Battles Stage-4 Cancer as Daughters Beg for Treatment
-
metro2 days agoOver 50 Killed, Scores Injured as Gunmen Attack Mangu Communities in Plateau
