Politics
How El-Rufai’s Son Pushed Serving Rep Out Of APC
When the member representing Kaduna North Federal Constituency, Samaila Suleiman, resigned his membership of the All Progressives Congress (APC) in March, 2022, he cited internal squabbles within the ruling party as his reason.
This, however, is far from the truth, as Daily Trust gathered that among other reasons, the young legislator was said to have left the party following an eagle-eye interest of Governor Nasir el-Rufai’s eldest son, Bello, on his seat at the green chamber.
Daily Trust reports that Suleiman, who is the Chairman, House Committee on Special Duties, in a letter dated March 8, 2022, addressed to the state’s APC Chairman, Emmanuel Jekada, stated that his decision followed the breakdown of internal democracy and factionalisation of the party at all levels, especially at the national level.
In the letter, attached with his APC membership card, which was copied to the APC chairman of Kaduna North Local Government Area and the ward chairman of Unguwan Sarki, Suleiman stated that his resignation was with immediate effect.
The APC Chairman of Kaduna North LGA, Suleiman Wada, confirmed that the letter had been received at the state secretariat.
However, weeks into his resignation, and having moved to the opposition Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), it became glaring that Bello el-Rufai was the major obstacle to Suleiman’s retention of his seat at the national assembly come 2023.
READ ALSO:
- Fayose’s son, aide, others win Ekiti tickets
- Covenant University conducts lectures, exam on International PR at Nigeria-Benin border
- Auto finance: CBN, NADDC discuss new options for vehicle buyers
Tongues began to wag as to why Suleiman, a young and ambitious legislator, could leave the APC rather than slug it out with Bello.
Sources within the APC told our correspondent that Bello had been promised Suleiman’s seat.
Speaking with our correspondent, the state APC Publicity Secretary, Salisu Tanko Wusonu, however, said, “This is not true. The APC has not promised anyone the ticket. The ticket is with the delegates, and if you are serious and believe you are capable of contesting, then you have every right to canvas support from the delegates.
“Anyone who tells you that the ticket has been promised to someone is not telling the truth. The present member was elected under the APC twice. Should we say the ticket was promised to him at that time? Some people lost for him to win, and so that is just it. If you believe you are a vibrant politician and you know what you are doing, people will vote for you. There is nothing to fear.”
As a former Chairman of Kaduna North LGA who moved to the House of Representatives in 2015, Suleiman is said to be a grassroots mobiliser and popular among his constituents. He is of Kaduna’s old political dynasty as his father, Alhaji Abdu Suleiman, said to be one of the most influential political godfathers in the state.
Those in his camp say he is not afraid of taking risks.
A resident of Kaduna North said, “He is the only politician who won local government council election under President Muhammadu Buhari’s defunct Congress for Progressive Change (CPC) in 2008 given his grassroots antecedence and popularity among the downtrodden. Suleiman, if he had decided to slug it out with Bello he could have given both father and son a run for their money.”
READ ALSO:
- Lagos Arewa community supports ban, prosecution of Okada riders
- 13-year Akwa Ibom marriage dissolved over affair with pastor
- APC may screen presidential aspirants Tuesday, expects Jonathan, Emefiele, Ngige, Adesina
Even in the PDP, Suleiman will have to slug it out with an old rival, Shehu ABG who also defected from the APC after the 2015 elections. ABG, who was a member for Kaduna North Federal Constituency under the defunct CPC, had moved to the APC but lost his seat to Suleiman in 2015.
Meanwhile, supporters of Bello, who is in his 30s, say his years of experience as a former senior legislative aide and Chief of Staff to Sen Uba Sani (Kaduna Central), has exposed him to legislative matters that will make him an asset to the people of the state.
“He will perform wonders for his constituents. He is smart and passionate like his father,” a member of the Bello el-Rufai Awareness Forum said.
But like his father, Bello though courageous and not scared to pick a fight, can be very controversial. In 2020 he was enmeshed in a controversial sexual abuse tweet when he made a slur on a gang rape against the mother of a twitter user. He later apologised for his infamous conduct on social media, saying his tweets fell short of his family’s values of decency and tolerance.
To get the APC ticket may just be a tea party for the young El-Rufai given that his father is in control of the party at the state level. However, to get to the green chamber, Bello will have to bulldoze his way through Suleiman’s grassroots popularity. To do that, he will not only rely on his father’s political structure, but on friends such as Hon Muktar Baloni, the Chairman of Kaduna North LGA.
Politics
PDP Chairmanship Candidate Withdraws, Backs APC Ishaku in FCT Polls
PDP Chairmanship Candidate Withdraws, Backs APC Ishaku in FCT Polls
In a dramatic political realignment less than 72 hours before the Federal Capital Territory (FCT) Area Council elections, the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) chairmanship candidate for Bwari Area Council, Julius Adamu, formally withdrew from the race and threw his support behind Joshua Ishaku Musa of the All Progressives Congress (APC). The decision was finalised during a bipartisan stakeholders meeting on Wednesday, following direct intervention by Nyesom Wike, who has increasingly played a kingmaker role in the territory’s political landscape.
Addressing supporters, Adamu described his withdrawal as a move to maintain local harmony and unity, emphasising his personal ties with Ishaku. “After deep consultation with the FCT Minister, I came to the conclusion that Joshua and I are brothers. It will not be nice for two brothers to fight over one office,” he said. He urged his political base to transfer their support to Ishaku, stressing the importance of consolidating votes for the betterment of the community.
READ ALSO:
- Over 1.5 Million Candidates Registered as JAMB UTME Pin Vending Nears Deadline
- FG Seals Plateau Mine After 37 Killed in Toxic Gas Tragedy
- Troops Kill Five Kidnappers, Rescue Abducted Woman in Plateau
Minister Wike threw his full weight behind the newly forged alliance, linking Ishaku’s potential victory to accelerated infrastructure development in Bwari. Speaking to party members and voters, Wike said, “If you vote for Joshua, I will do more roads in Bwari. Let nobody make any mistake; on Saturday, come out and make sure that Joshua wins the election.” APC officials hailed the development as a demonstration of political maturity and strategic alliance-building that strengthens their chances in the contest.
The move has sparked mixed reactions among opposition figures and civil society groups. Senior PDP officials expressed surprise, highlighting concerns about internal party cohesion and grassroots mobilization. Some youth leaders lamented the abrupt withdrawal, warning that it could disenfranchise supporters who had actively campaigned for Adamu. Meanwhile, civil society observers called for transparency and voter education, stressing that alliances should not undermine informed voting and local representation.
Residents in Bwari voiced divergent opinions on the withdrawal. Some welcomed the pact, describing it as a step toward peaceful politics and improved community development, while others felt that voters should have had a say in the decision. Aisha Mohammed, a local trader, noted that “if this ensures unity and progress for Bwari, we support it,” whereas university student Emmanuel Adeyemi commented, “We should decide who represents us, not be instructed to follow party arrangements.”
The withdrawal significantly alters the electoral dynamics in Bwari, reducing vote fragmentation and strengthening the APC’s position in a previously competitive battleground. The Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) is concluding preparations for elections across the six FCT Area Councils — Abuja Municipal (AMAC), Bwari, Gwagwalada, Kuje, Abaji, and Kwali — scheduled for February 21, 2026. Observers have noted that the alliance could influence voter turnout and election outcomes, while political analysts continue to monitor Wike’s role as a strategic mediator shaping FCT politics.
PDP Chairmanship Candidate Withdraws, Backs APC Ishaku in FCT Polls
Politics
Two Killed, Five Injured as Violence Erupts at APC Ward Congress in Ondo
Two Killed, Five Injured as Violence Erupts at APC Ward Congress in Ondo
Idanre, Ondo State — At least two people were killed and five others injured on Wednesday after violence broke out during the All Progressives Congress (APC) ward congress in Idanre, Ondo State.
The incident occurred at Odode-Idanre, the headquarters of Idanre Local Government Area, as the ruling party conducted ward congresses across its 203 wards in the state. What was meant to be a routine party exercise quickly descended into chaos when suspected party thugs allegedly invaded the venue.
Eyewitnesses said the attackers opened fire and used machetes on party members, triggering panic and forcing residents and participants to flee. During the violence, a vehicle was set ablaze, while several people sustained serious injuries.
Sources said the Idanre violence may be linked to heightened political tensions from Tuesday’s disruption at the APC state secretariat in Akure, where suspected hoodlums reportedly stormed a stakeholders’ meeting and attacked party leaders. That incident had already raised fears ahead of the ward congresses.
READ ALSO:
- Carbon Monoxide Leak Kills 37 Miners in Plateau
- BREAKING: Tinubu Assents to 2026 Electoral Act, Sets Stage for 2027 Elections
- Korope Drivers Shut Down Lekki–Epe Expressway Over Lagos Ban (Video)
Among those targeted in the Idanre attack was Raphael Adetimehin, younger brother of Ade Adetimehin, the APC caretaker chairman in Ondo State. Raphael Adetimehin reportedly sustained machete injuries after attackers allegedly mistook him for his brother. His vehicle was also set on fire before he was rescued and rushed to the General Hospital in Idanre for treatment.
The Ondo State Police Command later confirmed that two persons died from the attack, while three others sustained varying degrees of injuries and are currently receiving medical care. Police said five unidentified individuals were attacked during the violence.
Security operatives, led by the Commissioner of Police and the Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corps (NSCDC) commandant, were deployed to the area and successfully restored calm.
Reacting to the incident, Ade Adetimehin alleged that the violence was politically motivated, accusing supporters of Tajudeen Adefisoye, a former member of the House of Representatives and ally of Lucky Aiyedatiwa, of orchestrating the attack. These allegations have not been independently verified, and no official response has been issued by those named.
Police authorities said investigations are ongoing to identify and apprehend those responsible, as concerns grow over political violence, party congress safety, and rising internal tensions within the ruling party in Ondo State.
Two Killed, Five Injured as Violence Erupts at APC Ward Congress in Ondo
Politics
Osun PDP Lawmakers Endorse Tinubu for 2027, Back Adeleke Re-Election
Osun PDP Lawmakers Endorse Tinubu for 2027, Back Adeleke Re-Election
Lawmakers of the Osun State House of Assembly elected on the platform of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) have endorsed President Bola Ahmed Tinubu for the 2027 presidential election, while also declaring their support for Governor Ademola Adeleke’s re-election bid in 2026.
The endorsement was announced at a joint meeting of the PDP lawmakers in Osogbo, where they said the decision was driven by what they described as the need for political stability, continuity in governance, and sustained development at both the state and federal levels.
Speaking on behalf of the lawmakers, the Speaker of the Osun State House of Assembly, Adewale Egbedun, said the endorsement of President Tinubu was based on his administration’s policies and interventions, which, according to them, have had a positive impact on Osun State and the South-West region.
READ ALSO:
- MACBAN Rejects Terrorism Allegations, Warns Against Stigmatisation
- Customs Seize Cocaine Worth N1bn Along Nigeria–Benin Corridor
- Security Row: El-Rufai Accuses Ribadu of Procuring Dangerous Chemicals
Egbedun noted that backing President Tinubu for a second term would strengthen federal-state collaboration, especially in the areas of infrastructure development, security, and economic reforms, while also ensuring continued federal presence in Osun.
The lawmakers also unanimously passed a vote of confidence in Governor Adeleke, citing what they described as his people-oriented leadership style, commitment to workers’ welfare, and ongoing projects across key sectors, including education, healthcare, road infrastructure, and local government development.
According to the PDP legislators, Governor Adeleke’s administration has prioritised inclusive governance, fiscal discipline, and the restoration of public confidence in government, adding that these achievements make him deserving of a second term in office.
They dismissed suggestions that endorsing President Tinubu, who belongs to a different political party, contradicts their loyalty to the PDP, arguing that the move reflects political pragmatism and the overriding interest of Osun State.
The lawmakers stressed that their decision does not weaken the PDP in Osun but rather positions the state to benefit from harmonious political alignment between the state and the federal government.
Reaffirming their commitment to the PDP, the legislators said they would continue to work for the party’s success in future elections while supporting leadership choices they believe would advance peace, stability, and development in Osun State and Nigeria at large.
Osun PDP Lawmakers Endorse Tinubu for 2027, Back Adeleke Re-Election
-
News2 days agoSaudi Arabia Confirms Sighting of Ramadan Crescent, Fasting Begins Wednesday
-
metro2 days agoLagos Woman Shares Ordeal After Alleged Rape, Sparks Nationwide Outcry
-
News2 days agoRamadan Begins in Nigeria as Sultan Confirms Crescent Sighting
-
metro3 days agoUS Freezes Assets of Eight Nigerians Over Boko Haram, ISIL, Cybercrime Links
-
Auto3 days agoAppeal Court Ruling on VIO Limited to Abuja, Not Lagos — LASG
-
metro2 days agoSeven Killed in Horrific Crash at Ota Toll Gate
-
metro2 days agoDeadlock at National Assembly as House Snubs Electoral Act Bill Meeting on E-Transmission Clause
-
News19 hours agoKorope Drivers Shut Down Lekki–Epe Expressway Over Lagos Ban (Video)


