International
Jewish woman stabbed in France amid Hamas-Israel war

Jewish woman stabbed in France amid Hamas-Israel war
A 30-year-old Jewish woman was stabbed twice in her home in Lyon, France on Saturday, and police found a antisemitic inscription drawn on her door.
The suspect remains at large, and the woman’s condition is “very serious but not life-threatening,” the Daily Mail reported, citing French media.
“A Jewish woman was stabbed this Saturday. An antisemitic inscription was found on the door of her home,” Grégory Doucet, the mayor of Lyon, wrote on social media, in French. “Such a surge of violence is unspeakable. All my support to the victim, to her loved ones.”
The male attacker was masked and clad in black, according to the victim’s statement, and police are reviewing surveillance camera footage, Le Figaro reported.
“Her home was identified as a Jewish household because there was a mezuzah—a piece of parchment containing Jewish scripture—on the doorframe,” the Daily Mail reported, citing an “investigating source.”
“Early inquiries suggest an antisemitic murder attempt, especially since a Nazi swastika was spray-painted by the attacker on the front door before he left,” the source added.
“Initial findings have led the Lyon public prosecutor’s office to open an investigation into the attempted murder charge, aggravated by the fact that the act could have been motivated by an antisemitic motive,” the public prosecutor’s office stated on Saturday evening, the European Jewish Press reported.
READ ALSO:
- Alabama mayor, pastor commits suicide after being outed as transgender
-
Appeal Court declares Faskari/Kankara/Sabuwa election inconclusive, orders rerun
-
Suspected trafficker steals 6-year-old pupil from a school in Benue
There have been 857 antisemitic incidents in France since Hamas terrorists attacked Israel on Oct. 7, Gérald Darmanin, the French interior minister, said last week. (An Anti-Defamation League report, released on Oct. 24, cited Darmanin saying there had been 588 at the time.)
Darmanin told French Jews not to be afraid, the Jewish Chronicle in London reported last month. “If anyone touched a hair of a Jewish person, the state will act in the strongest manner,” he said. “You pray for France’s security on every Saturday. It’s only natural that the state protects you in turn.”
French President Emmanuel Macron had not commented on the attack on social media at press time. He has previously expressed support for Israel. Macron said on Friday that Paris will host a “humanitarian conference” on Nov. 9. “We are calling for a truce because the fight against terrorism does not justify sacrificing civilians,” he said, of Israel’s efforts to eliminate Hamas terrorists.
Hamas is known to use human shields, as the White House and U.S. State Department have noted repeatedly in recent weeks.
‘Protect their Jewish community’
Earlier on Friday, France’s foreign ministry demanded an explanation from Israel after the French Institute in Gaza had been struck. “We have asked the Israeli authorities to communicate to us without delay by appropriate means the tangible elements which motivated this decision,” it stated in French. “No agent of the institute, nor any French national, was on the premises of the institute.”
Catherine Colonna, the French minister for Europe and foreign affairs, said on Friday that France reacted with “astonishment” and “incomprehension” to the attack.
The French government expressed “deep concern” about “several thousand” civilian deaths in Gaza, and it condemned attacks on United Nations sites, humanitarian workers and media headquarters, it stated on Friday in French.
READ ALSO:
-
Kane hat-trick hands Bayern big win at Dortmund
-
44-year-old man cries on air as DNA test reveals he is not the father of his four kids (video)
-
APC floors PDP, NNPP at Appeal Court over Oyo South Senatorial district
“The protection of civilians is both a moral imperative and an international obligation. We call for concrete steps to be taken by Israel in this regard,” it added, calling for a “humanitarian truce” to “allow the protection of civilians and the delivery of humanitarian aid in a sufficient and sustainable way and to allow the care of the wounded.”
“The civilian population of Gaza did not have to pay for the crimes of Hamas,” the French government stated. “We must avoid at all costs the trap set by Hamas and extremists of all stripes who want to generate hatred for the next generations.”
It also called for the hostages to be released, and noted that Hamas is a terrorist organization. Many analysts, and at times the White House and the U.S. State Department, have said that a “ceasefire” or “pause” benefits Hamas and allows it to rebuild its capacity to attack Israel again.
“Deeply disturbing,” wrote the European Jewish Congress, of the attack on Saturday in Lyon. “Jews have the right to exist without being attacked. We wish her a speedy recovery and hope the police can bring this cowardly individual to justice.”
“French authorities must do everything in their power to protect their Jewish community,” wrote the Anti-Defamation League.
Three people assaulted a Jewish, 13-year-old boy, who was wearing identifiable Jewish garb, in Lyon in August and told him that they would kill him if he told anybody what had happened.
“Antisemitic violence is particularly very much present in France,” Anne-Sophie Sebban-Bécache, director of the American Jewish Committee’s Paris branch, told JNS at the time.
“The number of violent antisemitic attacks has increased by 8%,” she added. “The case of this young man was covered because local media from Lyon decided to make a story out of it, but unfortunately, this kind of antisemitic assault is not an exception.”
Jewish woman stabbed in France amid Hamas-Israel war
(JNS)
International
Trump slams Nigeria with high tariff in shocking trade crackdown

Trump slams Nigeria with high tariff in shocking trade crackdown
President Donald Trump has ignited a global trade firestorm, imposing sweeping tariffs on imports into the United States, with Nigeria among the hardest hit.
Declaring a “national economic emergency,” Trump announced an across-the-board 10% tariff on all foreign goods, while 60 countries deemed “the worst offenders” by his administration will face even steeper levies.
Nigeria has been slapped with a 27% tariff, while South Africa faces a staggering 60% levy on exports to the U.S. The measures, set to take effect on April 5, mark a dramatic shift in global trade dynamics.
Speaking from the White House Rose Garden, Trump declared “Liberation Day” for American industry, calling the moment the beginning of America’s “economic rebirth.”
“Today marks the day America was made wealthy again,” he proclaimed to thunderous applause. “For too long, we have been taken advantage of. Now, it’s our turn to prosper.”
READ ALSO:
- Barcelona beat Atletico to set up cup final against Real Madrid
- NNPCL hikes petrol pump price to N950/litre
- Liverpool leap closer to title with narrow Everton win
Trump vowed to bring jobs and manufacturing “roaring back” to the U.S., promising to “pry open foreign markets” while ensuring foreign goods no longer flood American stores unchecked.
As part of his sweeping measures, Trump announced a 25% tariff on all foreign-made vehicles, effective midnight, targeting countries like Japan, South Korea, and Germany. He lambasted nations that limit U.S. exports while dominating the American market.
“We take their cars, they refuse ours. That ends today,” he declared, citing statistics that over 80% of South Korean cars are sold domestically, while U.S. automakers struggle to penetrate foreign markets.
Trump slams Nigeria with high tariff in shocking trade crackdown
International
Deadly strikes in Gaza as Netanyahu says Israel will seize new military corridor

Deadly strikes in Gaza as Netanyahu says Israel will seize new military corridor
Israel’s prime minister has said it is expanding its Gaza offensive and establishing a new military corridor to put pressure on Hamas, as deadly Israeli strikes were reported across the Palestinian territory.
Benjamin Netanyahu said Israeli forces were “seizing the Morag Corridor” – a reference to a former Jewish settlement once located between the southern cities of Rafah and Khan Younis.
Earlier, his defence minister said troops would seize large areas for “security zones”.
Meanwhile, 19 Palestinians, including nine children, were killed in an air strike on a UN clinic-turned-shelter in the northern town of Jabalia, a local hospital said. Israel’s military said it targeted “Hamas terrorists”.
Strikes across Gaza on Tuesday night killed at least 20 people, according to hospitals.
The Hamas-run Civil Defence agency said its first responders recovered the bodies of 12 people, including women and children, from a home in Khan Younis.
Rida al-Jabbour said a neighbour and her three-month-old baby were among the dead.
“From the moment the strike occurred we have not been able to sit or sleep or anything,” she told Reuters news agency.
The Israeli military said it was looking into the reports.
There were also reports of extensive bombardment along the border with Egypt overnight.
READ ALSO:
- Wike congratulates Okpebholo on tribunal victory
- FG orders immediate reopening of independence bridge in Lagos to ease traffic
- Protect vulnerable Nigerians, IMF tells Tinubu
The Civil Defence said the strike in Jabalia on Wednesday morning hit two rooms in a clinic run by the UN agency for Palestinian refugees (Unrwa) which was being used as a shelter.
Video verified by the BBC showed dozens of people and ambulances rushing to the building. Smoke was seen billowing from a wing where two floors appeared to have collapsed.
Unrwa’s commissioner-general, Philippe Lazzarini, wrote on X that the building was previously a health centre that it had been heavily damaged earlier in the war.
“Initial reports indicate the facility was sheltering over 700 people when it was hit,” he said, adding that a two-week-old baby was reportedly among the dead. “Displaced families stayed at the shelter after it was hit because they have nowhere else to go.”
Lazzarini said too many Unrwa premises had reportedly been used for fighting purposes by Palestinian armed groups or Israeli forces, and warned that the “total disregard of UN staff, premises or operations is a profound defiance of international law”.
The Israeli military said that it targeted Hamas operatives who were “hiding inside a command and control centre that was being used for co-ordinating terrorist activity and served as a central meeting point”.
It said “numerous steps were taken to mitigate the risk of harming civilians, including the use of aerial surveillance and additional intelligence”.
Hamas denied that its fighters had been using the building.
Fadel Ashour said he had been at the al-Ahli hospital in Gaza City when some of those wounded by the Jabalia strike were brought there for treatment.
“This shelter is home to many people, and every time the Israeli army bombs it, everyone inside is harmed,” he told BBC Arabic’s Gaza Lifeline programme.
READ ALSO:
- Ex-NYSC DG Tsiga regains freedom after 56 days in captivity
- Notorious bandit leader Bello Turji goes berserk, kills 12 to celebrates Eid
- Uromi killings: Deputy Senate President donates N16m to victims’ families
On Wednesday evening, Israel’s prime minister said in a video statement that the IDF had “switched gears” overnight and was “seizing territory, striking the terrorists and destroying the infrastructure”.
“We are also doing something else: We are seizing the Morag Corridor. This will be the second Philadelphi, an additional Philadelphi Corridor,” Netanyahu added, referring to a strip of territory running along the Egyptian border that the Israeli military seized last May.
Dividing Gaza, he said, would increase pressure on Hamas “step by step” and force the group to hand over the 59 hostages it is still holding in Gaza, 24 of whom are believed to be alive.
“As long as they do not give them to us, the pressure will increase until they do.”
Israeli Defence Minister Israel Katz had announced earlier that the military would be expanding its offensive to clear and “seize large areas that will be added to the security zones of the State of Israel”, without saying where they would be. He added that it would require a “large-scale” evacuation of Palestinians.
Katz also urged Gazans to act to remove Hamas and free remaining Israeli hostages, without suggesting how they should do so.
The Hostages and Missing Families Forum in Israel, which represents many hostages’ relatives, said they were “horrified to wake up” to the news of the expanded military operation. It urged the Israeli government to prioritise securing the release of all the hostages.
This week, Israel’s military has ordered an estimated 140,000 people in Rafah to leave their homes and issued new evacuation orders for parts of northern Gaza.
Israel has already significantly expanded a buffer zone around the edge of Gaza over the course of the war, and seized control of a corridor of land cutting through its centre, known as the Netzarim Corridor.
Israel launched its renewed Gaza offensive on 18 March, blaming Hamas for rejecting a new US proposal to extend the ceasefire and free the remaining hostages. Hamas, in turn, accused Israel of violating the original deal they had agreed to in January.
The humanitarian situation across Gaza has dramatically worsened in recent weeks, with Israel refusing to allow aid into the Gaza Strip since 2 March – the longest aid blockage since the war began.
Last month, the UN announced it was reducing its operations in Gaza, one day after eight Palestinian medics, six Civil Defence first responders and a UN staff member were killed by Israeli forces in southern Gaza.
The Israeli military launched a campaign to destroy Hamas in response to an unprecedented cross-border attack on 7 October 2023, in which about 1,200 people were killed and 251 were taken hostage.
At least 50,423 people have been killed in Gaza during the ensuing war, including 1,066 over the past two weeks, according to the Hamas-run health ministry.
Additional reporting by Rachel Hagan in London
Deadly strikes in Gaza as Netanyahu says Israel will seize new military corridor
BBC
International
Democrats drag Trump to court over election overhaul order

Democrats drag Trump to court over election overhaul order
The Democratic Party has sued the Trump administration over an attempt to impose sweeping changes on the election systems, including requiring citizenship proof to register to vote and limiting mail-in ballot counting.
In a lawsuit filed Monday, the Democratic Party asked a federal court to block the executive order, which prevents states from counting mail-in ballots that arrive after election day. The president’s directive also requires proof of citizenship to be presented — through documents such as a passport — when registering to vote.
“The President does not get to dictate the rules of our elections,” said the lawsuit filed in Washington by the Democratic National Committee, Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer, House Minority Leader Hakeem Jeffries and others.
“The Executive Order seeks to impose radical changes on how Americans register to vote, cast a ballot, and participate in our democracy—all of which threaten to disenfranchise lawful voters and none of which is legal,” it added.
After signing the March 25 order, called “Preserving and Protecting the Integrity of American Elections”, US President Donald Trump described it as “the farthest-reaching executive action taken” to secure US elections.
READ ALSO:
- If anything happens to me, hold Akpabio, others responsible – Natasha
- Breaking: ‘Cancel your homecoming’ — Police tell Senator Natasha
- Lightning strike kills herder, 12 cows in Kaduna
Trump, who does not acknowledge his defeat in the 2020 presidential election, has long questioned the integrity of the US electoral system. He has repeatedly and baselessly amplified conspiracy theories about massive election fraud in the United States, particularly involving absentee voting.
Legal scholars swiftly denounced Trump’s election order as an abuse of presidential power that could prevent millions of eligible voters from casting ballots.
Advocacy groups led by the Campaign Legal Center and State Democracy Defenders Fund filed a separate lawsuit on Monday against the same executive order.
“The president’s executive order is an unlawful action that threatens to uproot our tried-and-tested election systems and silence potentially millions of Americans,” Danielle Lang of the Campaign Legal Center said in a statement.
“It is simply not within the president’s authority to set election rules by executive decree, especially when they would restrict access to voting in this way.”
Democrats drag Trump to court over election overhaul order
AFP
-
metro3 days ago
Breaking: Tinubu sacks Kyari, appoints Ojulari as new NNPCL GCEO
-
metro2 days ago
Man jailed 3 months for non-declaration of $30,000 at airport
-
International2 days ago
Trump slams Nigeria with high tariff in shocking trade crackdown
-
metro2 days ago
Updated: Notorious bandit leader Bello Turji goes berserk, kills 12 for Eid
-
metro2 days ago
Edo Gov Okpebholo wins round one as tribunal upholds his election
-
metro3 days ago
Police hunt for last suspect in LASU graduate killing
-
metro2 days ago
South African court acquits Nigerian pastor of rape after 8 years in jail
-
metro13 hours ago
Fraud rocks FIRS, court orders final forfeiture of Abuja, Kano houses linked to official