Railway
Updated: Abuja-Kaduna train attack: Casualties confirmed as NRC suspends service
Kaduna State Commissioner for Internal Security and Home Affairs, Samuel Aruwan, has confirmed there were fatalities in the Abuja-Kaduna train attacked by terrorists on Monday night.
A female young medical doctor who sustained gunshot injury was said to have died this morning.
The Nigerian Railway Corporation has announced the indefinite suspension of train operations along the Abuja-Kaduna route.
The NRC announced the suspension in a statement via its Twitter handle, @Official_NRC, on Tuesday.
“Dear passengers, due to unforeseen circumstances, train operations along the Abuja-Kaduna route has been temporarily suspended. Further Communication would be given in due course,” the statement read.
The train was attacked while on its way to Kaduna from Abuja on Monday night.
The gunmen were said to have blown up the rail track after which they launched an attack on the passengers.
It was learnt that the explosives were planted on the rail track.
According to sources, the gunmen went straight for the VIP coaches on getting into the train.
An unspecified number of passengers were said to have been injured during the attack while some others were reportedly abducted.
“The attackers went for the VIP coaches,” one source said.
“Some persons were abducted and several others with injuries.”
Another source said, “Lots of railway workers are missing and their whereabouts unknown.”
Giving an update on the incident, Aruwan said fatalities were recorded and the victims had been moved to hospitals.
“Evacuation of passengers on the trapped Kaduna-bound train from Abuja has been concluded this morning by security forces, officials of Kaduna State Emergency Management Agency (SEMA) and Nigerian Red Cross,” Aruwan said.
“Passengers who sustained injuries, and other fatalities, have been moved to hospitals.
“The passengers were evacuated from different hard-to-reach areas in forests and rocky locations in Audujongom, off the Kaduna-Abuja Road.
“As stated yesterday, the Kaduna State Government is still liaising with the Nigerian Railway Corporation (NRC) to ascertain the list from the passengers manifest for efficient tracking.
“Governor Nasir El-Rufai who commended all those who participated in the evacuation appealed to the hospitals to attend to the victims diligently.”
He said the governor also directed the ministry of health to be in contact with the hospitals as it will bear the cost of the victims’ treatment.
Aruwan added that the search and rescue operations are still ongoing.
Meanwhile, a young medical doctor identified as Chinelo, who tweeted that she was shot by terrorists who attacked train on Monday night, has been reported dead.
Chinelo had taken to her Twitter handle, @nelo_x to report that she had been shot by the terrorists while asking for prayers.
“I’m in the train . I have been shot please pray for me,” she had tweeted.
The lady is reported to have eventually passed away from the gunshot injuries.
Many Twitter users have expressed sadness over her death.
SamzyPR, @IamSamzyPR, said, “Here is Dr Chinelo , One of the Abuja-Kaduna train passengers who didn’t make it out alive from the Attack.
“Rest in Peace, Dr Chinelo. Nigeria happened to you!”
“Just learnt that Dr Chinelo didn’t make it. This is heartbreaking,” wrote Dr Chinonso Egemba, @aproko_doctor
“Rest in peace dear Chinelo. You don’t deserve this country.”
Entertainment
NRC, Entertainers Finalise Plans for 2026 Valentine Train Ride
NRC, Entertainers Finalise Plans for 2026 Valentine Train Ride
A team of leading Nigerian artistes and entertainment executives has paid a courtesy visit to the Managing Director of the Nigerian Railway Corporation (NRC), Kayode Opeifa, ahead of the 2026 Valentine Love Train experience.
The delegation included celebrated musician Sunny Neji, Managing Director of Ojez Entertainment Limited, Joseph Odobeatu, and veteran vocalist Yinka Davies.
The high-profile visit formed part of final preparations for the Valentine-themed train ride scheduled for Saturday, February 14, 2026, at the Mobolaji Johnson Train Station.
Dr. Opeifa received the artistes and commended the creative industry for choosing the national rail system as the venue for the annual Valentine event. He noted that the partnership reflects growing public confidence in the corporation’s safety standards, operational improvements, and renewed focus on customer experience.
READ ALSO:
- 2027 General Elections: INEC Announces February 20 for Presidential Poll
- EFCC Nabs Three in Borno Over Viral ₦500 Naira Mutilation Video
- Omokri Accuses El-Rufai of Rights Abuses During Kaduna Governorship
“The 2026 edition aims to deliver an unforgettable experience while deepening public engagement with the rail service,” Opeifa said, reaffirming the NRC’s commitment to providing secure and efficient transport for passengers during special events.
Organisers disclosed that this year’s edition will feature an expanded entertainment lineup, including performances and appearances by Charles Inojie, Yinka Davies, Sunny Neji, and Segun Arinze. Guests are expected to enjoy live music, comedy, a couple’s game show, fashion showcases, and special performances throughout the Lagos–Ibadan–Lagos train ride, culminating in a Valentine banquet ball.
The Valentine Love Train has in recent years become a fixture on the NRC’s festive calendar, attracting couples, families, and leisure seekers with its blend of travel, romance, and entertainment. The initiative also aligns with ongoing efforts by the corporation to promote rail transportation as a viable and enjoyable alternative for intercity travel.
With final logistics being fine-tuned, organisers say the 2026 edition promises to combine safety, comfort, and premium entertainment for participants.
NRC, Entertainers Finalise Plans for 2026 Valentine Train Ride
Railway
LASG Moves to End Years of Flooding in Ebute-Meta Railway Corridor
LASG Moves to End Years of Flooding in Ebute-Meta Railway Corridor
The Lagos State Government has taken steps to address persistent flooding within the Ebute-Meta railway corridor and adjoining communities with the construction of a major stormwater drainage channel in collaboration with the Nigerian Railway Corporation.
The NRC said the state government had awarded a contract for the construction of the Carter-Railway Channel, also known as System 4, aimed at deflooding the railway compound as well as parts of Olaleye and neighbouring areas within Lagos Mainland Local Government Area.
The reinforced concrete drainage channel will run from Murtala Muhammed Way in Ebute-Meta through the railway corridor to a discharge point at Iponri on Western Avenue.
Speaking at a stakeholders’ meeting held at the railway premises, the Director of Drainage Services at the Lagos State Ministry of Environment and Water Resources, Engr.
READ ALSO:
- Outrage Mounts Over ‘Ministry of Sex’ Proposal Ahead of General Election
- Nollywood in Mourning as Family Confirms Death of Actress Aunty Ajara
- Kwankwaso Condemns Kwara Massacre, Calls for Strong Federal Response to Terrorism
Adedapo Ajadi, said the project would permanently address the perennial flooding that has affected residents, institutions and businesses in the area for years. He added that construction work is expected to last about 18 months and urged stakeholders to cooperate with contractors to ensure smooth execution.
Stakeholders at the meeting included representatives of St Saviour’s School, NTA Channel 10, the Railway Museum, Federal Medical Centre Ebute-Meta, CCECC quarters, churches, mosques, as well as industrial and small business operators within the railway corridor.
Managing Director of the Nigerian Railway Corporation, Dr Kayode Opeifa, described the intervention as timely, assuring that the corporation would give full support to the multi-billion-naira project.
He noted that the infrastructure, when completed, would significantly reduce flooding and improve safety within the railway environment and neighbouring communities.
Some stakeholders welcomed the development, saying annual flooding had disrupted academic, medical and commercial activities in the area and posed risks to lives and property.
Officials of the Lagos State Government and the NRC later carried out a joint inspection of the proposed corridor to assess the alignment and identify areas that may be affected before construction begins.
LASG Moves to End Years of Flooding in Ebute-Meta Railway Corridor
Railway
Excited passengers hail FG as 50% yuletide train fare cut sparks nationwide rush
Excited passengers hail FG as 50% yuletide train fare cut sparks nationwide rush
Excitement swept through major railway stations across the country on Tuesday and Wednesday as thousands of passengers turned out to enjoy the Federal Government’s 50 percent yuletide train fare reduction, with many openly praising the initiative as a major relief amid rising transport costs.
From the Lagos–Ibadan and Abuja–Kaduna standard gauge corridors to key narrow gauge routes, passengers arrived early, smiling, cheering and expressing gratitude to the government for what they described as a “timely Christmas gift.”
Several train services departed with near-full capacity as Nigerians seized the opportunity to travel cheaply to reunite with family and loved ones for the Christmas and New Year celebrations.
The discounted festive rail service, approved by the Federal Government and implemented by the Nigerian Railway Corporation (NRC), runs from Tuesday, December 23, 2025, to Sunday, January 4, 2026, offering passengers a 50 percent reduction on fares nationwide.
Speaking at various stations, passengers said the fare cut had significantly eased the financial burden of holiday travel, especially for families and group travellers.
Many described the initiative as people-centred and compassionate, noting that it allowed them to travel safely and comfortably at a time when road transport costs have surged.
“I never imagined I would travel this cheap during Christmas,” a passenger at the Lagos terminus said. “This is a big relief. The government has really tried, and we are grateful.”
Confirming the successful commencement of the programme, the NRC Chief Public Relations Officer, Callistus Unyimadu, said the turnout across major routes showed strong public acceptance of the initiative, adding that early bookings reflected overwhelming passenger interest.
The Managing Director and Chief Executive Officer of the NRC, Dr Kayode Opeifa, assured passengers that the corporation was fully prepared to sustain safe, efficient and customer-friendly services throughout the festive period.
He said enhanced security, safety and customer service measures had been put in place across stations and onboard trains to manage the increased traffic resulting from the fare reduction.
The NRC noted that both standard gauge and narrow gauge services are fully operational, advising passengers on standard gauge routes to continue using NRC-approved online booking platforms, while narrow gauge passengers can purchase tickets directly at designated railway stations.
The 50 percent yuletide train fare cut is part of the Renewed Hope Agenda of President Bola Ahmed Tinubu, aimed at reducing transportation costs, promoting inclusive mobility and encouraging rail transport as a safer and more reliable option during peak travel seasons.
As the festive rush continues, the NRC urged passengers to cooperate with railway officials and comply with travel guidelines to ensure smooth and hitch-free journeys throughout the discount period.
If you want, I can make it more emotional, more political, or more populist depending on the platform (Vanguard, Punch-style, or government-leaning tone).
Excited passengers hail FG as 50% yuletide train fare cut sparks nationwide rush
-
Education16 hours agoCheck Your Name: UNILORIN Releases Updated NELFUND Refund List for 2024/2025 Students
-
News7 hours agoOsogbo Sons and Daughters Mark 5th Anniversary with Awards, Political Undertones
-
metro3 days agoLagos Police Launch Manhunt for Suspect in Brutal Ajah Murder
-
News3 days agoAso Rock Goes Solar as Tinubu Orders National Grid Disconnection
-
metro1 day agoBoko Haram Terrorists Release Video of 176 Abducted Kwara Residents
-
metro1 day agoWoman Arrested Over Murder of Nigerian E-Hailing Driver in South Africa
-
Sports3 days agoLookman Shines as Atlético Madrid Hammer Barcelona 4-0
-
News18 hours agoAfenifere Calls for Immediate Take-Off of State Police as Terror Threats Rise in Yorubaland


