metro
Uploaded: Ooni of Ife’s wife ends marriage to monarch

- It’s not true, says royal father’s aide
Wife of the Ooni of Ife,Queen Silekunola Naomi Ogunwusi, has ended her marriage to the first-class Yoruba monarch.
The queen a statement on Thursday confirmed the shocking news, saying she no longer wants to be associated with him.
This is the second marriage of the king that will hit the rock since he ascended the throne in 2015.
“I bless the Lord Almighty for His faithfulness in the last 3 years of my marriage. In life’s journey, it isn’t how far. Still, how well, indeed though satan should buffet if trials should come, I have this blessed assurance controlling all situations and saying to me it is well with my soul. Certainly, it is well. I made my journey into the ancient throne of Ife with faith in my heart and love for the keeper of it.”
“Few impressions I would love to correct. If anyone knows otherwise, they are free to come up with facts. Let it be known that this decision to move on did not come because his majesty is married to another queen. As many would love to assume, throughout our life as a couple, I was the only married wife to him. There were side attractions, but it was never an issue.
“I never approached him with any revelation of any sort, as many believed he contacted me first and made his proposal known several months later. The marriage was not an arranged one, as many have misconstrued. I never knew the prophetess said to have introduced me to him. Instead, he introduced her to me after I agreed to marry him. I was only being polite out of respect for him.
“I have never been pregnant all my life before Tadenikawo; my son is my first ever pregnancy with medical reports to back it up
The girl who is said to be my daughter is my niece. I did my best to endure and make it work; many times, I smiled through the struggle, but I have finally realised I had just one assignment, my son, and when God is done, He is done. He chose Saul to be king, and when He was done, He told the prophet Samuel I have moved on.
“Religion was never an issue between us; please refer to my interview on News Central TV. Instead, His Majesty has a picture he would love the world to see and perceive him as and another one which is his true self. Today I announce the beginning of a new dawn and the close of a chapter.
“Today, I am a mother to God’s unique gift. I am no longer a slave to my thoughts of perfection. I, at this moment, announce that I shall no longer be referred to as wife to the Ooni of Ife or as Queen of Ile-Ife but as the Queen of the people and mother of my adorable Prince. He is God’s way of saying I know about it all. In situations like this, there will be aggrieved persons. I, at this moment, appeal to all parties involved to allow the peace of God with the consciousness that there is a lovely little boy between us. I thank all of my prayer partners and loved ones.
“I remain committed to all of my projects,charity work and ministry. In this new season, I shall be focusing on God only.”
But, when contacted, the palace faulted the claim, saying, “It is not true.”
The Ooni’s Director of Media and Public Affairs, Moses Olafare, who spoke on behalf of the palace, said, “This is not the first time such rumours had been peddled.”
He said it was not the first time such rumour would be peddled, adding to that the last a similar report was carried, the queen ended up having a baby for the monarch.
metro
Independence Bridge repairs: Sanwo-Olu urges Lagos residents to work remotely

Independence Bridge repairs: Sanwo-Olu urges Lagos residents to work remotely
Babajide Sanwo-Olu, the governor of Lagos, said repair works on the Independence Bridge will continue.
Sanwo-Olu also apologised to residents for the hours-long gridlock experienced due to the rehabilitation of the bridge.
Commuters and motorists spent hours in traffic on April 2 due to the closure of the bridge in the Victoria Island area.
Following public outcry, David Umahi, minister of works, ordered the immediate reopening of the bridge.
Speaking on Thursday during the inspection of the bridge, Sanwo-Olu said the state takes full responsibility for the gridlock.
The governor noted that the repair is for the good of the city, as the bridge — which is one of the oldest in the country — had begun to fail.
He urged residents to support the state government as there is never a good time to carry out road repairs.
“First, I think what is appropriate is to tender apology to all our citizens and to all Lagosians for a very difficult heinous traffic that we experienced in the last 24 hours within the city and the Island of Lagos,” Sanwo-Olu said.
READ ALSO:
- Chinese man found with fake diplomatic number plate in Lagos
- Akpabio to sue Natasha for alleged assassination attempt
- Oyo PDP chieftain Adeojo dies, Makinde mourns
“There is never a best time to solve a difficult problem like this. Any time you do it, there would be discomfort. Let’s bite the bullet and come out of this better.
“I think the apology is important so that we can take full responsibility as government both at the national and subnational level, for taking our citizens through an unfortunate incident.
“It was all for a good cause, it is all to avert future disaster waiting to happen. You know how life is — there is never a best time for you to do all you want to do, there will always be challenges even if you think it is the best time.
“This contract has been signed over three years ago; our duty is to preserve the integrity of the Independence Bridge — which is like one of the oldest bridges in the country.”
The governor added that traffic will be managed and diverted during the rehabilitation.
“If you don’t have business to do in Victoria Island in the next two to three weeks, conduct your business via social media, telephone, zoom meetings, online meetings, let’s plan ahead,” he said.
“If you don’t need to come and visit somebody here, you don’t have to come.
“You are going to see a lot of LASTMA officers on the road, we are calling them from other parts of the city to come here.”
Sanwo-Olu also appealed to residents not to drive against traffic or drive recklessly during the rehabilitation period.
Independence Bridge repairs: Sanwo-Olu urges Lagos residents to work remotely
metro
Chinese man found with fake diplomatic number plate in Lagos

Chinese man found with fake diplomatic number plate in Lagos
The Lagos State Police Command has taken a Chinese national into custody for allegedly affixing a counterfeit diplomatic number plate to his vehicle while visiting the United States Embassy in Victoria Island.
The suspect, identified as 40-year-old Lei Lu, was arrested on April 3, 2025, following a tip-off from a concerned citizen.
Police sources say the report came in around 12:17 p.m., shortly after the man was spotted at the embassy premises earlier that morning.
READ ALSO:
- Akpabio to sue Natasha for alleged assassination attempt
- Oyo PDP chieftain Adeojo dies, Makinde mourns
- Bayelsa govt gets court order to stop pro-Wike rally
Responding swiftly, detectives from the command arrived at the scene and detained the individual. His vehicle, displaying the fraudulent plate marked 138-CD-46—typically reserved for British diplomatic missions—was also seized.
During questioning, Lu reportedly failed to produce any documentation authorizing the use of the diplomatic tag. Officers documented the evidence, including photographic records of the plate and vehicle.
Authorities say an investigation is underway to uncover the reason behind the impersonation and assess any potential threats posed by the act.
Chinese man found with fake diplomatic number plate in Lagos
metro
Akpabio to sue Natasha for alleged assassination attempt

Akpabio to sue Natasha for alleged assassination attempt
Senate President Godswill Akpabio has said he will take legal action against Senator Natasha Akpoti-Uduaghan over claims that he planned to have her killed.
In a statement released on Friday by his media aide, Eseme Eyiboh, Akpabio said he would not be distracted by what he called a campaign of lies and misinformation.
“As a statesman devoted to national unity and democratic values, I will not be distracted by malicious falsehoods or inflammatory rhetoric,” the statement quoted.
Eyiboh said official letters are being prepared for both Senator Akpoti-Uduaghan and former Senator Elisha Abbo. The letters demand public apologies, retractions, and compensation for damage to Akpabio’s reputation.
Recall that Senator Akpoti-Uduaghan during an event in Kogi State on April 1, 2025 claimed that Akpabio hired former Governor Yahaya Bello to assassinate her.
READ ALSO:
- Oyo PDP chieftain Adeojo dies, Makinde mourns
- Bayelsa govt gets court order to stop pro-Wike rally
- Outgone Corps members will get minimum allowance arrears – NYSC
Reacting, Eyiboh reminded the public that Senator Natasha had made similar accusations in the past, including ones she later withdrew without explanation.
“Her recurring pattern of false accusations, including similar claims in 2019 and 2023 against other public figures, reveals a troubling exploitation of victimhood narratives for personal and political gain,” it added.
The statement also addressed comments made by former Senator Elisha Abbo during an interview on April 2, where he accused Akpabio of influencing the court to remove him from office. Eyiboh said Abbo had already apologized in 2023 for making similar claims, admitting that they were based on false assumptions.
“His new claims regarding being denied entitlements are also categorically false. Senate entitlements are processed administratively and not at the discretion of the Senate President,” the statement said.
Eyiboh suggested the timing of these accusations may be politically motivated, with the aim of damaging the image of the Senate and its leadership.
“These individuals, possibly backed by hidden interests, appear united in a desperate attempt to undermine the Senate and its leadership,” he said.
Akpabio to sue Natasha for alleged assassination attempt
-
metro3 days ago
Breaking: Tinubu sacks Kyari, appoints Ojulari as new NNPCL GCEO
-
metro2 days ago
Man jailed 3 months for non-declaration of $30,000 at airport
-
International2 days ago
Trump slams Nigeria with high tariff in shocking trade crackdown
-
metro2 days ago
Updated: Notorious bandit leader Bello Turji goes berserk, kills 12 for Eid
-
metro2 days ago
Edo Gov Okpebholo wins round one as tribunal upholds his election
-
metro3 days ago
Police hunt for last suspect in LASU graduate killing
-
metro2 days ago
South African court acquits Nigerian pastor of rape after 8 years in jail
-
Sports3 days ago
Saka’s stunning return powers Arsenal to victory over Fulham