Connect with us

Politics

Kaduna Deputy Gov Withdraws From Guber Race, Endorses El-Rufai’s Candidate

Published

on

Deputy Governor of Kaduna State, Dr. Hadiza Sabuwa Balarabe

The Deputy Governor of Kaduna State, Dr. Hadiza Sabuwa Balarabe, has expressed support for Senator Uba Sani, Governor Nasir El-Rufai’s preferred successor.

The deputy governor, who was on the list of the top three aspirants earlier tipped to replace El-Rufai, was said to have been offered to serve as Sani’s running mate, but she rejected the offer.

However, in what pundits described as a fence mending strategy, the deputy governor expressed support for El-Rufai’s candidate and called on her supporters to massively support the APC at all levels in the forthcoming 2023 elections.

“I want to extend very special appreciation to HE, Mal Nasir Ahmad El-Rufai for the trust and belief in my capacity that led to my being his running mate/deputy. I believe his actions during this period has left no one in doubt that he has trust in me. These are privileges I will forever relish, cherish and hold dear, for the rest of my life,” she stated.

READ ALSO:

Daily Trust gathered that Balarabe was said to have rejected El-Rufai’s offer in the presence of other senior cabinet members, earlier in the week.

An insider told Daily Trust that despite her tact in rejecting the offer, it was received in bad taste.

“This is a fence mending approach because some people are already selling the idea that there is a crack within El-Rufai’s cabinet and she needs to prove that it is one big family,” he said.

In her statement, the deputy governor appreciated individuals, youth groups, women groups, elderly person-groups as well as Christian and Muslim groups who raised their voices and sacrificed their resources to show support for her to join the 2023 race to Kashim Ibrahim House.

“To those that reached out personally and those I had the privilege of engaging on the workability of this project, I say thank you for the experience. I found strangers who became friends and a commitment to stay true no matter what. I do not take the moments we have shared for granted and I thank Allah for giving me the opportunity of meeting you. Your actions thus far only reaffirmed very critical issues for me, that you hold me in high esteem and that you have confidence in my abilities. May Allah continually shower His special grace and favors upon you all,”’ she stated.

Politics

Court throws out suit challenging Tinubu’s candidacy

Published

on

A Federal High Court in Abuja has dismissed a suit challenging the candidacy of Bola Tinubu as the presidential candidate of the All Progressives Congress (APC).

Justice Fadima Aminu Muritala, who threw out the suit, described the plaintiff, Ngozika Ihuoma, as a “meddlesome interloper having no locus standi to institute the suit”.

Ihuoma dragged Tinubu and five others to court on June 9, 2022 after Tinubu had won the APC presidential primary election.

He sought for six reliefs, which included the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) barring Tinubu from contesting the next year’s presidential election.

Tinubu in June defeated 13 other contenders to emerge the presidential flag bearer of the APC. He won with a total vote of 1,271.

A statement on Wednesday by the Director, Media & Publicity, APC Presidential Campaign Council, Bayo Onanuga, said, “In defence of the suit, the law office of Babatunde Ogala (SAN) & Co on behalf of All Progressives Congress filed a counter affidavit in opposition to the Originating Summons and a Notice of Preliminary Objection.

“The counter affidavit challenged Ihuoma’s locus standi and grounds for the action.

“It sought a court declaration that the case was speculative, pre-emptive and non-justiciable being the internal affairs of a political party.

“The counter affidavit also punctured Ihuoma’s case as academic, theoretical and an abuse of court process.

“The court on Monday upheld the defence counsel’s objections and struck out the case.”

Continue Reading

Politics

Aregbesola kinsmen dissolve faction, seeks members’ reintegration into Osun APC

Published

on

Ogbeni Rauf Aregbesola

The Osun Progressives (TOP), a faction of the All Progressives Congress (APC) in Osun State loyal to former governor and Minister of Interior, Rauf Aregbesola, has disbanded to pave way for the reintegration of aggrieved members.

Speaking at a press conference, yesterday, former speaker of the House of Assembly, Najeem Salaam, said the resolution to dissolve the faction was to allow them to restructure the party for true progressives.

He said the step became necessary because of the trajectory and the electoral misfortune the party suffered in the July 16 governorship election that led to their loss and resolve for the way forward.

READ ALSO:

“We are hereby dissolving The Osun Progressives (TOP) and the faction of the party associated with it to facilitate the unity of purpose that this time requires. For effective closure, we will have a truth and reconciliation forum within the party when fully restructured with the sole purpose of preventing any recurrence of the ugly past.

“We are therefore extending our hand of fellowship to everyone who is a progressive at heart and loves good governance in our party, in the other parties and independents who are hitherto not aligned to any party.

“Consequent to this, and to demonstrate our readiness for this leap of faith, I have the mandate of our leaders and members to invite other progressives in other caucuses in the Osun APC and other parties and like minds across the state to join us in this endeavor. This is a call for unity of purpose in our party and beyond. It is a call for burying the hatchet and working for the greater good and service to humanity through progressive governance,” he added.

SUN
Continue Reading

Politics

I’m the most investigated and most accused former governor – Tinubu

Published

on

Bola Ahmed Tinubu at Chatham House London

The All Progressives Congress (APC) Presidential Candidate, Asiwaju Bola Tinubu, has again provided an insight into his source of wealth.

Tinubu in an interview on BBC in London said he was the most investigated and most accused former governor yet nothing has been found on him.

Daily Trust reports that many Nigerians had challenged Tinubu to explain his source of stupendous wealth and this has been a recurring issue in the current electioneering for the 2023 election.

During the interview, he accused his critics of envy, explaining that he had a lot of investments which yielded profit.

Responding to the question on the corruption allegation, he said, “You got to know how to analyse and how to ask questions, not in the accusatory format.

READ ALSO:

“Are they enemies of wealth, if they are not enemies of wealth, investments do yield. I have an example of Warren Buffet, one of the richest men in America and in the world. He started from stock buying. I inherited great real estate, I turned the values around.

“I am not denying my wealth, I was the most investigated, the most accused governor for eight years, up to 2007 and since I left the office, I am still there, I have not taken any government appointment.”

Asked on the allegation that he was taking a certain share of the revenue being generated in Lagos State where he governed between 1999 and 2007, he retorted, “Hey excuse me, share what? Have they proven it? IMF has investigated the record in Lagos. What is wrong with them? It is envy.”

Continue Reading

Trending