HRH Oba Simeon Olaonipekun
Kidnappers have demanded a total of ₦450 million ransom for the release of a Kwara traditional ruler, his son, and other abducted residents of Ifelodun Local Government Area of Kwara State.
The abductors are reportedly asking for ₦150 million to free the Oniwo of Aafin, Oba Simeon Olaonipekun, and his son, Olaolu, a National Youth Service Corps (NYSC) member, while an additional ₦300 million has been demanded for the release of eight other victims abducted in Adanla-Irese, a suburb of Igbaja.
A family source close to the monarch, who spoke on condition of anonymity on Friday, confirmed that the kidnappers made contact earlier in the day.
“The kidnappers contacted the family this afternoon and told us to bring ₦150 million to secure the release of Kabiesi and his son,” the source said.
The source lamented the emotional trauma the family has endured since the abduction, which occurred on New Year’s Eve.
“We entered the new year with sorrow and tears. We are appealing to the Kwara State Government and security agencies to come to our aid because we don’t know what to do,” he added.
READ ALSO:
The Kwara South Joint Community Security Watch Network also confirmed the ransom demands. Its coordinator, Elder Olaitan Oyin-Zubair, said the abductors had contacted the victims’ families with specific financial demands.
“Yes, it is true. The bandits demanded ₦150 million for the monarch and his son, while ₦300 million was earlier demanded for the release of the Adanla abductees,” he said.
According to reports, the kidnappers struck on December 31, 2025, when armed men invaded the Aafin community in the Ile-Ire district of Ifelodun LGA, storming the monarch’s palace at about 8 pm.
A family source disclosed that about eight armed men attacked the palace, firing gunshots and demanding to see the monarch and his wife.
“When they noticed we were locking doors and switching off lights, they started shooting. They broke the door with their guns and forced their way in,” the source said.
During the attack, the monarch’s wife, Felicia Olaonipekun, was shot in the arm and later rushed to a hospital for medical treatment.
The source further revealed that the kidnappers abducted the monarch and his son after overpowering the community vigilante group, which was grossly outnumbered.
“Only two vigilante members were on duty, and they could not match the firepower of the attackers,” he said.
WMotors takes Jetour Africa Expedition to Lagos, Puts SUVs to Off-Road Test WMotors, an…
Tinubu Allowed Free, Fair Election That Gave Adeleke Osun Victory – Wike Minister of the…
Stage 4 Cancer: Understanding Ogogo's Diagnosis and Treatment Options The recent emotional appeals by the…
Trump Declares Strait of Hormuz 'New US Territory' on Truth Social as Iran Vows to…
Georgina Rodríguez reveals why she, Ronaldo married in their living room Georgina Rodríguez has revealed…
Nobody Should Invite My Husband Without Inviting Me — Jarvis Issues Stern Warning Nigerian TikTok…