Lagos govt demolishes 19 buildings at Trade Fair Plaza
Lagos govt demolishes 19 buildings at Trade Fair Plaza, traders lament
No fewer than 19 buildings were, yesterday, demolished at the New Mandela Plaza, within the popular Trade Fair Complex, in Lagos, as the Lagos State government moved in with heavy security to enforce the exercise.
The demolition was carried out under tight security, with convoys of trucks from the Lagos State Task Force, Rapid Response Squad, and other tactical teams stationed around the plaza. Stern-looking officers restricted access to the premises and dispersed traders who attempted to record the operation.
By the time of filing this report, several targeted buildings inside the plaza had already been reduced to rubble, sparking outrage among shop owners, many of whom claimed they were not given prior notice.
One trader, speaking reluctantly, said: “We don’t even know the reason for the demolition. That’s why you see people moving up and down, asking questions.” Another speculated that the affected structures may have been marked for being too close to a canal.
A visibly agitated plaza owner, who arrived as his shop was being pulled down, shouted from his car that no notice was served before the bulldozers moved in. Several sales representatives also lamented that their bosses’ goods, still locked inside shops, were destroyed along with the buildings.
Distraught traders told Vanguard that no fewer than 19 buildings, each valued at over N150 million, were affected. One trader fumed: “If government doesn’t want companies or development here, they should just come out and say it. People have invested their life savings here. Over 19 buildings are in that plaza.”
READ ALSO:
Another trader, Chief Magnus Ike, Chief Executive Officer, Magnus Merchandise, watched as his multi-billion-Naira property stood no chance against the bulldozers. He insisted he had federal approval for the structure: “Honestly, I have not been served any notice from the Lagos State Government whatsoever. The only notices we get here are from the Federal Government, and we comply. This building was inspected. Even the Ministry of Environment has been here. If there is any problem, the proper thing is to notify us. You don’t just let people borrow bank money, take loans, and then crush their investment overnight.”
Dismissing claim that his property sat on a canal, he gestured around: “Look for yourself, there is no canal here. Whatever their reason is, due process demands notice. None was given.”
Yet, standing defiantly amid the ruins, said: “Demolition or not, I will continue to build. Lagos is for all of us, we go nowhere.”
His younger brother, Mr. Magnus Ikenna, was equally distraught. He said: “Even as of Wednesday, there was no sign of demolition. This morning, they just moved in with bulldozers and started tear-gassing everybody. They said we don’t have state approval, but since 2000 we’ve always dealt with federal government here. How can the rules suddenly change overnight?”
Pastor Sentenced to Death by Hanging for Murdering Landlord in Akwa Ibom Prince Emmanuel Umoh,…
Scientists Warn Popular Hair Extensions Contain Cancer‑Linked Chemicals A new study has revealed that many…
Keyamo Defends APC Amid Public Debate, Says Party ‘Not Made Up of Saints’ Festus Keyamo,…
Lagos Police Arrest Officers After Fatal Alagbado Shooting Amid Public Outcry The Lagos State Police…
Tinubu must address rising mass massacres now, By Farooq Kperogi Recent events show a widening…
Man Arrested for Slitting Wife’s Throat During Farm Argument A tragedy occurred in Amaji Village,…