Connect with us

metro

Lagos Muslim board chairman receives NAHCON’s inspection team

Published

on

National Hajj Commission of Nigeria (NAHCON)

The Chairman, Lagos State Muslim Pilgrims Welfare Board, Engr. Shakir Ayinde Gafar, on Thursday, led other members of the Board to receive the inspection team of the National Hajj Commission of Nigeria (NAHCON) to the Board’s office in the Old Secretariat, GRA, Ikeja, Lagos.

Engr. Gafar, who assured the team of the Board’s readiness to cooperate with the team in order to achieve its purpose in the state, urged the team to be free to carry out its assignment without any fear or favour.

While stressing that Lagos is well known for action in every human endeavors, the Chairman said it was God that created Lagos and made it to succeed in everything it laid its hand upon. He added that the state was very prepared for the spiritual exercise whenever the doors of Saudi Arabia are opened for foreign intending pilgrims.

Speaking earlier, the team leader, Alhaji Halidu Shutti informed his host that the main purpose of their visit was in fulfillment of Section 4, sub-section 1A of the NAHCON Act 2006, which says, “The Commission shall licence, regulate, supervise and perform oversight functions.”

He stated further that the team was basically in Lagos in respect of the operational licence, which he noted had expired some months ago. He added that the team would also confirm and ascertain all the information provided by Board preparatory to the renewal process.

READ ALSO:

Narrating that the team had earlier visited Kwara, Ondo, Ekiti, Osun, Oyo and Ogun states over the same purpose, he affirmed that so far so good, the Lagos reception and experience was unique, memorable and unprecedented.

While stressing that it is only in Lagos that the full compliment of Board members, Secretary and entire staff were on ground to receive them, he added that the team also witnessed the renovation work presently going on in the Board with a view to giving the facility a facelift.

Expressing his gratitude for the reception, he re-echoed the encomium earlier passed by the Chairman/CEO of NAHCON, Alhaji Zikhrullah Kunle Hazzan that Lagos remains number one in Hajj administration in Nigeria with the array of qualified professionals and exceptional technocrats available for the state in Hajj management, urging the state to keep the flag flying.

The Board Secretary, Imam AbdulHakeem Kosoko appreciated the visitors on behalf of the Board. While noting that the intention of every Muslim across the world is to visit Makkah and Madinah for the spiritual exercise, he prayed to Allah to make it possible this year.

He also enjoined members of staff to be ready to make sacrifices for the success of this year’s Hajj and subsequent ones.

Guardian

metro

Man impregnates, strangles boss’ teenage daughter in Bauchi

Published

on

A 27-year-old home help has been arrested by the police in Mai’ari Arewa village, Pali district in the Alkaleri Local Government Area of Bauchi State, for allegedly strangling his boss’ daughter after he impregnated her.

The suspect, Munkaila Ado, was said to have impregnated the 13-year-old girl and connived with her mother to take her to Gombe State for an abortion.

The state police spokesperson, Ahmed Wakil, disclosed this in a statement on Saturday.

He said that after successfully aborting the four-month-old pregnancy, the suspect and his friend strangled the victim, burnt her body beyond recognition and buried her in a shallow grave at a nearby bush in the Akko LGA of Gombe State.

READ ALSO:

The spokesperson said that the teenager’s father, who discovered that his daughter was missing and suspected his houseboy and his accomplice, reported the matter at the Alkaleri Divisional Police Headquarters.

He said, “On interrogation, the suspect confessed that the missing girl was his girlfriend who was four-month pregnant to the knowledge of her mother but unknown to the father, Alhaji Danladi Mohammed.

Wakil added, “He further revealed that he conspired with the mother of the girl and his accomplice, Muazu Umar, to take the victim to Gombe for an abortion.

“On reaching Gombe, the victim was led to the house of one Hajiya Amina Abubakar, female, (50), in Jekada Fari, behind specialist hospital Gombe where the victim was administered with some substances to cause miscarriage.

“Eventually, on their way to Mai’ari village along Akko LGA Gombe State, the two aforementioned suspects strangled the victim. They burnt the body beyond recognition and buried it in a shallow grave at a nearby bush in Akko LGA Gombe State.’’

Punch

Continue Reading

metro

Nigerian Bludgeons Chinese Man to Death in Italy

Published

on

Robert Omo, a Nigerian residing in Avellino, southern Italy, has been arrested for the murder of a Chinese man in the country.

According to the Times of Malta, Omo, 24, allegedly bludgeoned the Chinese man to death using a hammer. He was also reported to have injured a Bulgarian during the attack.

The Nigerian was said to have attacked the two men unprovoked on July 30, first striking the 49-year-old Bulgarian from behind and then attacking the 59-year-old Chinese man who had stepped in to prevent him from further assaulting his first victim.

READ ALSO:

The Bulgarian is receiving treatment in a hospital after sustaining serious injuries from the attack, while the Chinese man died on the spot.

It was also reported that Omo once served a 12-month jail term for bestiality in Malta.

After serving the jail sentence, he was deported from Malta, but the Nigerian found his way to Italy.

Reports revealed that Omo was once expelled from a care home in Avellino after he assaulted one of its workers.

After charges were brought against him over the recent attack, he pleaded not guilty, claiming he could not recall what happened during the incident.

FIJ

Continue Reading

metro

Female footballers, officials abducted, kidnappers demand N30m

Published

on

Police Public Relations Officer in Delta State, DSP Bright Edafe

Six people, which include players and officials of a grassroots female team, were reportedly kidnapped by gunmen in Uronigbe, a border community between Edo and Delta states in Orhionmwon Local Government Area of Edo State.

Our correspondent learnt that the six victims were kidnapped around 6pm on Friday, while returning from a game at Owa-Alero in Ika North-East Local Government Area of Delta State.

A source in the community said the kidnapers had contacted some families demanding a ransom of N5m each for the victims.

Police Public Relations Officer in Edo State, Chidi Nwabuzor

He said, “They (footballers) went to Owa-Alero to play a football match, but on their way back, they were kidnapped at Uronigbe area, the boundary between Delta and Edo.

READ ALSO:

“The victims include Mrs Precious Agbajor, one Abraham, Nancy, Beatrice, the driver and one other person. They are six in number that are in the kidnapper’s den. The matter has been reported at the Uronigbe police station.

“The kidnappers have contacted the family of Agbajor and asked them to pay N5m for his wife.”

When contacted, the Police Public Relations Officer in Delta State, DSP Bright Edafe, confirmed the kidnap, adding that the incident happened in Edo State.

His Edo State counterpart, Chidi Nwabuzor, said from the records available at the State Command, there was no information on the incident.

“You know we transmit our records to Force Headquarters everyday. There is no such record before us. From the Command’s record, no such incident happened yesterday (Friday), so the police will not give account of anything unreported.

“It is only when an incident is reported that the police can act on it. In most cases, citizens are not aware of the powers to report incidents. So the record I have from the Command is that no such incident happened yesterday (Friday), today (Saturday) and even the day before yesterday (Thursday).”

Punch

Continue Reading

Trending