metro
Man accused of killing POS operator arrested in Adamawa
Man accused of killing POS operator arrested in Adamawa
The Adamawa State Police Command said one Umar SNU is in its custody and aiding investigation into the gruesome killing of a POS operator, Abbas Yuguda, in the state.
Yuguda, 35, was attacked in Mayo-Belwa LGA.
The Police Public Relations Officer (PPRO) in the state, SP Suleiman Yahaya Nguroje confirmed the development in a statement on Monday.
The police spokesman said the incident occurred on March 22 when the victim was on his way home after closing from his business premises.
He said some people armed with dangerous weapons attacked and inflicted severe injuries on Yuguda’s head and left him lying in a pool of blood.
He added that operatives from Divisional police headquarters, Mayo Belwa arrived at the scene and immediately rushed the victim to Cottage Hospital, Mayo-Belwa, in a bid to save his life.
READ ALSO:
- SEC announces stricter measures to protect investors
- Why postgraduate students are ineligible for FG loan – NELFUND
- Bitcoin rises above $86,000 as crypto market gains momentum
However, the victim was confirmed dead while on admission receiving treatment.
“On the strength of that, one of the suspects identified as Umar SNU, was trailed by some angry youths.
“He was subdued to mob action before being rescued by the police.
“He was equally rushed to hospital for medical attention now aiding investigation,” Nguroje said.
The Commissioner of Police, Dankombo Morris strongly condemned the act of violence and directed a thorough and discreet investigation to ensure the perpetrators are brought to justice.
He also warned members of the public to desist from taking laws into their hands, and urged them to allow the law to always take its course.
Man accused of killing POS operator arrested in Adamawa
![]()
metro
Drug Test Ordered as Anambra Police Discipline ASP Who Threatened to Kill Bystanders Filming Him
Drug Test Ordered as Anambra Police Discipline ASP Who Threatened to Kill Bystanders Filming Him
AWKA – The Anambra State Police Command has arrested and initiated internal disciplinary proceedings against Assistant Superintendent of Police (ASP) Newton Isokpehi following a viral social media video in which he threatened to kill anyone filming him while on duty.
The command, in a press statement signed by the Deputy Commissioner of Police in charge of Finance and Administration, Ngozi Ezeabata, on behalf of the Commissioner of Police, Ikioye Orutugu, confirmed the officer’s identity on Thursday, May 21, 2026.
ASP Isokpehi, who is attached to the Anambra State Command, triggered widespread public outrage on Wednesday, May 20, 2026, after a video surfaced on TikTok and spread rapidly to X (formerly Twitter) and Instagram. In the clip, speaking directly to the camera in Pidgin English, he threatened to “clear everybody down” — including bystanders — if anyone attempted to record him while he carried out official duties. He also vowed that any superior officer who sanctioned the filming of police officers would be responsible for burying the citizens he threatened to kill. The video was later deleted from his TikTok page, but not before it had been viewed and shared thousands of times. Shortly afterward, Isokpehi posted a second video apologizing, describing his earlier remarks as having been made out of frustration.
According to the police statement, the command moved immediately upon sighting the video. “Following a prompt review of the video, the Command immediately identified and arrested the officer involved. The officer is an Assistant Superintendent of Police, ASP Newton Isokpehi, serving in the Command,” the statement read. “In line with the disciplinary standards and ethical code of the Nigeria Police Force, internal disciplinary proceedings have since been activated against the officer.” Commissioner Orutugu strongly condemned the officer’s conduct, describing it as incompatible with the values of the force and a threat to public trust and confidence in the institution.
READ ALSO:
- Maduka University Denies Withholding Student Transcript, Fee Hike Claims in Viral Video
- FRSC Officials Disarm Alleged DSS Officer After Shooting Incident In Abuja
- UK Scientists Develop New Ebola Vaccine As Congo Outbreak Triggers Global Health Concern
In a significant development, the command disclosed that Isokpehi has been subjected to a drug test as part of efforts to establish the full circumstances surrounding the incident. “As part of the ongoing investigation, the officer has also been subjected to a drug test to aid the Command in establishing all surrounding circumstances and ensuring a thorough and transparent process,” the statement added.
The arrest comes just two months after a landmark court judgment reaffirming the right of Nigerians to record police officers on duty. On March 17, 2026, the Federal High Court in Warri, in the case of Maxwell Nosakhare Uwaifo v. I.G.P. & Ors., Justice H.A. Nganjiwa ruled that citizens are constitutionally protected when recording police operations in public spaces. The court declared that such actions are covered under Chapter IV of the Nigerian Constitution and that officers must not interfere, confiscate devices, or retaliate against individuals filming them. The Anambra Police Command’s swift action against ASP Isokpehi appears to align with this judicial position. Police spokesperson Placid had earlier reiterated that recording police officers on duty is a “legitimate tool for public accountability” that should not attract harassment.
The Anambra State Police Command gave a firm assurance that the outcome of the disciplinary process will be made public. “The Command further assures Ndi Anambra and the general public that the outcome of the disciplinary process will be made public and that any officer found culpable will face appropriate sanctions in accordance with the law and police regulations,” the statement read.
The command also used the opportunity to issue a direct reminder to its personnel. “The Command also uses this opportunity to remind officers and men of the Command to remain professional, emotionally balanced, and respectful while carrying out their lawful duties, especially in this era where actions and conduct are constantly subjected to public scrutiny,” it stated.
Commissioner Orutugu praised members of the public and civil society groups for their role in bringing the video to wider attention, describing their intervention as a contribution to police accountability. “The Command appreciates members of the public, civil society groups, and social media users who continue to assist the Police with credible information capable of improving service delivery and accountability,” the statement read. “Residents are encouraged to continue reporting incidents or behaviours capable of undermining public peace, safety, and confidence in security agencies.”
Drug Test Ordered as Anambra Police Discipline ASP Who Threatened to Kill Bystanders Filming Him
![]()
metro
FRSC Officials Disarm Alleged DSS Officer After Shooting Incident In Abuja
FRSC Officials Disarm Alleged DSS Officer After Shooting Incident In Abuja
The Federal Road Safety Corps (FRSC) has condemned what it described as an armed attack on its personnel by a suspected operative of the Department of State Services (DSS) during a routine traffic enforcement operation in Abuja.
The incident reportedly occurred on Thursday around 3:20 p.m. at the RS7.118 Idu Unit Command in the Federal Capital Territory (FCT), involving a motorist driving a Toyota Carina who allegedly refused to comply with traffic officials before opening fire during a confrontation.
According to a statement issued by the Corps Public Education Officer, Deputy Corps Commander Osondu Ohaeri, the enforcement team had initially flagged down the driver over a suspected traffic violation.
The FRSC explained that instead of complying with lawful directives, the suspect allegedly drove recklessly in an attempt to evade officials before traffic congestion forced the vehicle to stop close to the command office.
The statement said FRSC personnel approached the vehicle for routine verification of the driver’s licence and vehicle documents, but the situation quickly escalated after the suspect reportedly became aggressive and resisted lawful enforcement procedures.
“Despite several tactical and professional attempts by FRSC personnel to de-escalate the situation, the offender escalated the confrontation by physically advancing toward officers and later drawing a pistol, which he fired twice within the vicinity of the Command,” the statement said.
The Corps disclosed that its personnel acted professionally despite the danger and successfully overpowered and disarmed the suspect without any loss of life.
READ ALSO:
- UK Scientists Develop New Ebola Vaccine As Congo Outbreak Triggers Global Health Concern
- Fayemi Reveals How He Convinced Peter Obi To Greet Tinubu At Vatican
- APC Names Fubara, Other Governors As Coordinators For Presidential Primary
“In the face of imminent danger to lives and property, FRSC personnel acted with remarkable restraint, professionalism, and tactical discipline to swiftly disarm the assailant without loss of life,” the statement added.
The FRSC confirmed that one road marshal sustained minor bruises during the struggle with the suspect.
Following the incident, the suspect was reportedly handed over to operatives of the Nigeria Police Force at the Life Camp Police Station alongside the firearm, ammunition components and the Toyota Carina involved in the incident.
Preliminary investigations later identified the suspect as a personnel of the Department of State Services (DSS), while the case has since been transferred to the appropriate state command for further investigation and disciplinary procedures.
Reacting to the development, FRSC Corps Marshal, Shehu Mohammed, commended the officers involved for displaying professionalism, maturity and tactical discipline despite the tense atmosphere and outrage from members of the public at the scene.
“He further stated unequivocally that no individual, regardless of status, rank, or agency affiliation, is above the law,” the statement noted.
The Corps Marshal stressed that all security personnel must lead by example by obeying traffic laws and respecting constituted authorities.
“Firearms and official status must never be used as instruments of intimidation against law enforcement officers carrying out legitimate duties,” he said.
The incident has sparked fresh conversations about inter-agency relations, professionalism and the conduct of armed personnel during public enforcement operations in Nigeria.
Security analysts have also praised the FRSC officials for preventing what could have escalated into a fatal security incident in the nation’s capital.
Eyewitnesses around the Idu area reportedly fled for safety after hearing gunshots, while traffic movement was briefly disrupted as security personnel secured the scene.
As of the time of filing this report, the DSS had yet to issue an official statement regarding the incident or confirm the identity of the officer involved.
The FRSC, however, called on all security agencies to strengthen inter-agency cooperation, mutual respect and operational discipline in the interest of national security and public safety.
FRSC Officials Disarm Alleged DSS Officer After Shooting Incident In Abuja
![]()
metro
MURIC Congratulates Hamzat, Other Successful Candidates Across Party Primaries
MURIC Congratulates Hamzat, Other Successful Candidates Across Party Primaries
The Muslim Rights Concern (MURIC) has congratulated the Deputy Governor of Lagos State, Kadri Obafemi Hamzat, over his emergence as the governorship candidate of the All Progressives Congress (APC) ahead of the 2027 general elections.
In a statement issued on Friday by the Executive Director of MURIC, Ishaq Akintola, the Islamic human rights organisation also congratulated candidates who emerged victorious in various primary elections across political parties and levels of contest.
MURIC described Hamzat’s emergence as a reflection of competence and credibility, noting that he successfully scaled through the party’s screening process and primary election.
According to the group, the Lagos deputy governor polled 657,917 votes in the APC governorship primary to defeat his rival, Olanrewaju Jim-Kamal, who secured one vote, while other aspirants, Abdul-Azeez Adediran, popularly known as Jandor, and Samuel Ajose, had earlier withdrawn from the race.
The organisation said it looked forward to Hamzat replicating the feat during the 2027 governorship election in Lagos State.
“MURIC heartily congratulates Dr. Kadri Obafemi Hamzat for this great feat. We look forward to its replication at the 2027 general elections,” the statement said.
The group also commended the endorsement of Hamzat by APC leaders and the support reportedly given to his candidature by President Bola Ahmed Tinubu.
While extending congratulations to other successful aspirants in governorship, senatorial and other primary elections, MURIC urged political stakeholders not to sideline Muslims in the search for competent leaders.
The organisation argued that highly skilled Muslims exist in all sectors and should be given equal opportunities in political appointments and elective positions.
“MURIC reaffirms its earlier position that there is no desertification of expertise in Islamdom. Highly skilled Muslims exist in all fields of human endeavour,” the statement added.
The group warned against what it described as the monopoly of public offices by Christians under the guise of searching for competence, stressing that Muslims also possess the capacity to excel in leadership positions.
To support its position, MURIC cited the achievements of Ishaq Oloyede at the Joint Admissions and Matriculation Board (JAMB), as well as the contributions of former Minister of Communications and Digital Economy, Isa Ali Pantami.
According to the organisation, both individuals demonstrated excellence in public office while also being respected Islamic scholars.
MURIC Congratulates Hamzat, Other Successful Candidates Across Party Primaries
![]()
-
metro3 days agoOyo Abduction: IGP Deploys More Detectives as Panic Spreads Across Ogbomoso
-
News1 day agoBREAKING: Tinubu appoints Prof Segun Aina as new JAMB registrar
-
Education1 day ago7 Key Facts About Professor Segun Aina, Tinubu’s New JAMB Registrar
-
Politics1 day agoBREAKING: Rivers Governorship Race Takes New Turn As Fubara Emerges Under NDC
-
News1 day agoHajj 2026: Arafat Sermon to be Translated into Yoruba, Hausa, 33 Other Languages
-
metro1 day agoVIDEO: “I’ll Kill Anyone Who Films Me on duty”: Police Officer Issues Death Threat
-
metro1 day agoVIDEO: Fact-checkers knock down claim Soyinka rode okada over N1,500 fuel
-
metro1 day agoFrank Edoho Denies Estranged Wife’s Allegations, Initiates Legal Battle
