Many killed as JTF overruns suspected IPOB/ESN headquarters at Mother Valley - Newstrends
Connect with us

metro

Many killed as JTF overruns suspected IPOB/ESN headquarters at Mother Valley

Published

on

Many killed as JTF overruns suspected IPOB/ESN headquarters at Mother Valley

The combined Joint Task Force (JTF) comprises men of the Nigerian Army, Nigerian Navy, Nigerian Air Force as well as other security personnel has invaded the suspected supreme headquarters of the Indigenous People of Biafara (IPOB) and its armed affiliate, Eastern Security Network (ESN).

The headquarters was said to have been located in the Mother Valley and spans Orsu and Ihiala Local Government Areas of Imo and Anambra States.

A statement shared on the verified X handle of the Nigerian Army on Thursday night, said many suspected IPOB operatives were killed during the operation.

It reads : “In continuation of the sustained operations, the JTF OPUK troops has today 7 March 2024 cleared and destroyed the notorious Supreme Headquarters of the terrorists Indigenous People of Biafara (IPOB) and its armed affiliate Eastern Security Network (ESN).

The headquarters that serves as the last IPOB/ESN stronghold is located in the Mother Valley and spans Orsu and Ihiala LGAs of Imo and Anambra States respectively is about 5,000 feet below sea level. The well concealed and forested location affords the terrorists good cover from air surveillance. It also serves as their command and control centre and military council headquarters.

READ ALSO:

During the raid operations, the gallant troops encountered, detonated and recovered many command Improvised Explosive Devices (IEDs) and various types of obstacles which were cleared by the determined troops. The troops also came in contact with the terrorists but were subdued with superior fire power with many neutralized while others with varying degrees of gunshot wounds fled into the bush. Thus, all Ndi-Imo and Ndi-Anambra are requested to report any strange face in their communities to OPUK by dialing Emergency Line 193 and Press 2 from their phones.

In addition to many weapons, equipment, IEDs and stolen vehicles recovered over the last 3 weeks, items recovered in the *Mother Valley* today include; 3 x G3 rifles, 9 x Automatic Pump Action Rifles, 7 x Double Barrel Guns, 2 x Locally Made Pistols, 2 x Rocket Propelled Grenade Bombs, 2 x AK 47 Magazine and 1 x G3 Magazine. Others are 26 rounds of 7.62mm Special ammunition, 16 rounds of 7.62mm NATO ammunition, 72 Pump Action Cartridges , 1 x Chainsaw, 1 x Laptop, 1 x CCTV DVR, 26 x CCTV Cameras. 17 x Baofeng Radios with Batteries and 10 without batteries including their chargers. Also recovered are, 6 x Handheld IEDs, 26 x android phones, 25 x normal phones, 1 x inverter, 1 x SIM Card Registration Machine, 4 x POS machines, 3 x Motorcycle batteries for igniting IEDs, 2 x Trumpets, 2 x Biafra flags, 20 x ESN certificates, 2 x Dairies containing details of ammunition and food supplies and 2 pairs of Biafra Liberation Army uniforms.

The joint troops also destroyed about 50 tents in the Valley housing the Supreme Headquarters, IPOB/ESN command and control center, Buteuzor’s hideout and residence, offices, their logistics base, temples and shrines used for occultic practices among many other items.

The Force Commander Joint Task Force South East Operation UDO KA, Major General Hassan Taiwo Dada wishes to appreciate the incredible cooperation of sister Services and other security agencies for the success achieved so far.

The Force Commander also enjoins the leaders of all liberated communities to return to their ancestral homes, emplace community efforts to ensure that all criminal elements not from the communities are not allowed to return to desecrate their homelands. The JTF OPUK will continue to provide all security support to such communities within the ambit of the law.

Furthermore all law abiding Ndigbos are enjoined to provide timely and actionable information through OPUK Emergency Line 193 then press Option 2 to help make the South East geopolitical zone a peaceful and conducive environment for socio-economic development to thrive.”

Many killed as JTF overruns suspected IPOB/ESN headquarters at Mother Valley

Loading

metro

Drug Test Ordered as Anambra Police Discipline ASP Who Threatened to Kill Bystanders Filming Him

Published

on

VIDEO: "I'll Kill Anyone Who Films Me": Police Officer Issues Death Threat
Assistant Superintendent of Police (ASP) Newton Isokpehi

Drug Test Ordered as Anambra Police Discipline ASP Who Threatened to Kill Bystanders Filming Him

AWKA – The Anambra State Police Command has arrested and initiated internal disciplinary proceedings against Assistant Superintendent of Police (ASP) Newton Isokpehi following a viral social media video in which he threatened to kill anyone filming him while on duty.

The command, in a press statement signed by the Deputy Commissioner of Police in charge of Finance and Administration, Ngozi Ezeabata, on behalf of the Commissioner of Police, Ikioye Orutugu, confirmed the officer’s identity on Thursday, May 21, 2026.

ASP Isokpehi, who is attached to the Anambra State Command, triggered widespread public outrage on Wednesday, May 20, 2026, after a video surfaced on TikTok and spread rapidly to X (formerly Twitter) and Instagram. In the clip, speaking directly to the camera in Pidgin English, he threatened to “clear everybody down” — including bystanders — if anyone attempted to record him while he carried out official duties. He also vowed that any superior officer who sanctioned the filming of police officers would be responsible for burying the citizens he threatened to kill. The video was later deleted from his TikTok page, but not before it had been viewed and shared thousands of times. Shortly afterward, Isokpehi posted a second video apologizing, describing his earlier remarks as having been made out of frustration.

According to the police statement, the command moved immediately upon sighting the video. “Following a prompt review of the video, the Command immediately identified and arrested the officer involved. The officer is an Assistant Superintendent of Police, ASP Newton Isokpehi, serving in the Command,” the statement read. “In line with the disciplinary standards and ethical code of the Nigeria Police Force, internal disciplinary proceedings have since been activated against the officer.” Commissioner Orutugu strongly condemned the officer’s conduct, describing it as incompatible with the values of the force and a threat to public trust and confidence in the institution.

READ ALSO:

  1. Maduka University Denies Withholding Student Transcript, Fee Hike Claims in Viral Video
  2. FRSC Officials Disarm Alleged DSS Officer After Shooting Incident In Abuja
  3. UK Scientists Develop New Ebola Vaccine As Congo Outbreak Triggers Global Health Concern

In a significant development, the command disclosed that Isokpehi has been subjected to a drug test as part of efforts to establish the full circumstances surrounding the incident. “As part of the ongoing investigation, the officer has also been subjected to a drug test to aid the Command in establishing all surrounding circumstances and ensuring a thorough and transparent process,” the statement added.

The arrest comes just two months after a landmark court judgment reaffirming the right of Nigerians to record police officers on duty. On March 17, 2026, the Federal High Court in Warri, in the case of Maxwell Nosakhare Uwaifo v. I.G.P. & Ors., Justice H.A. Nganjiwa ruled that citizens are constitutionally protected when recording police operations in public spaces. The court declared that such actions are covered under Chapter IV of the Nigerian Constitution and that officers must not interfere, confiscate devices, or retaliate against individuals filming them. The Anambra Police Command’s swift action against ASP Isokpehi appears to align with this judicial position. Police spokesperson Placid had earlier reiterated that recording police officers on duty is a “legitimate tool for public accountability” that should not attract harassment.

The Anambra State Police Command gave a firm assurance that the outcome of the disciplinary process will be made public. “The Command further assures Ndi Anambra and the general public that the outcome of the disciplinary process will be made public and that any officer found culpable will face appropriate sanctions in accordance with the law and police regulations,” the statement read.

The command also used the opportunity to issue a direct reminder to its personnel. “The Command also uses this opportunity to remind officers and men of the Command to remain professional, emotionally balanced, and respectful while carrying out their lawful duties, especially in this era where actions and conduct are constantly subjected to public scrutiny,” it stated.

Commissioner Orutugu praised members of the public and civil society groups for their role in bringing the video to wider attention, describing their intervention as a contribution to police accountability. “The Command appreciates members of the public, civil society groups, and social media users who continue to assist the Police with credible information capable of improving service delivery and accountability,” the statement read. “Residents are encouraged to continue reporting incidents or behaviours capable of undermining public peace, safety, and confidence in security agencies.”

Drug Test Ordered as Anambra Police Discipline ASP Who Threatened to Kill Bystanders Filming Him

Loading

Continue Reading

metro

FRSC Officials Disarm Alleged DSS Officer After Shooting Incident In Abuja

Published

on

FRSC Officials Disarm Alleged DSS Officer After Shooting Incident In Abuja

FRSC Officials Disarm Alleged DSS Officer After Shooting Incident In Abuja

The Federal Road Safety Corps (FRSC) has condemned what it described as an armed attack on its personnel by a suspected operative of the Department of State Services (DSS) during a routine traffic enforcement operation in Abuja.

The incident reportedly occurred on Thursday around 3:20 p.m. at the RS7.118 Idu Unit Command in the Federal Capital Territory (FCT), involving a motorist driving a Toyota Carina who allegedly refused to comply with traffic officials before opening fire during a confrontation.

According to a statement issued by the Corps Public Education Officer, Deputy Corps Commander Osondu Ohaeri, the enforcement team had initially flagged down the driver over a suspected traffic violation.

The FRSC explained that instead of complying with lawful directives, the suspect allegedly drove recklessly in an attempt to evade officials before traffic congestion forced the vehicle to stop close to the command office.

The statement said FRSC personnel approached the vehicle for routine verification of the driver’s licence and vehicle documents, but the situation quickly escalated after the suspect reportedly became aggressive and resisted lawful enforcement procedures.

“Despite several tactical and professional attempts by FRSC personnel to de-escalate the situation, the offender escalated the confrontation by physically advancing toward officers and later drawing a pistol, which he fired twice within the vicinity of the Command,” the statement said.

The Corps disclosed that its personnel acted professionally despite the danger and successfully overpowered and disarmed the suspect without any loss of life.

READ ALSO:

“In the face of imminent danger to lives and property, FRSC personnel acted with remarkable restraint, professionalism, and tactical discipline to swiftly disarm the assailant without loss of life,” the statement added.

The FRSC confirmed that one road marshal sustained minor bruises during the struggle with the suspect.

Following the incident, the suspect was reportedly handed over to operatives of the Nigeria Police Force at the Life Camp Police Station alongside the firearm, ammunition components and the Toyota Carina involved in the incident.

Preliminary investigations later identified the suspect as a personnel of the Department of State Services (DSS), while the case has since been transferred to the appropriate state command for further investigation and disciplinary procedures.

Reacting to the development, FRSC Corps Marshal, Shehu Mohammed, commended the officers involved for displaying professionalism, maturity and tactical discipline despite the tense atmosphere and outrage from members of the public at the scene.

“He further stated unequivocally that no individual, regardless of status, rank, or agency affiliation, is above the law,” the statement noted.

The Corps Marshal stressed that all security personnel must lead by example by obeying traffic laws and respecting constituted authorities.

“Firearms and official status must never be used as instruments of intimidation against law enforcement officers carrying out legitimate duties,” he said.

The incident has sparked fresh conversations about inter-agency relations, professionalism and the conduct of armed personnel during public enforcement operations in Nigeria.

Security analysts have also praised the FRSC officials for preventing what could have escalated into a fatal security incident in the nation’s capital.

Eyewitnesses around the Idu area reportedly fled for safety after hearing gunshots, while traffic movement was briefly disrupted as security personnel secured the scene.

As of the time of filing this report, the DSS had yet to issue an official statement regarding the incident or confirm the identity of the officer involved.

The FRSC, however, called on all security agencies to strengthen inter-agency cooperation, mutual respect and operational discipline in the interest of national security and public safety.

FRSC Officials Disarm Alleged DSS Officer After Shooting Incident In Abuja

Loading

Continue Reading

metro

MURIC Congratulates Hamzat, Other Successful Candidates Across Party Primaries

Published

on

Executive Director of MURIC, Professor Ishaq Akintola
MURIC Director, Prof. Ishaq Akintola

MURIC Congratulates Hamzat, Other Successful Candidates Across Party Primaries

 

The Muslim Rights Concern (MURIC) has congratulated the Deputy Governor of Lagos State, Kadri Obafemi Hamzat, over his emergence as the governorship candidate of the All Progressives Congress (APC) ahead of the 2027 general elections.

 

In a statement issued on Friday by the Executive Director of MURIC, Ishaq Akintola, the Islamic human rights organisation also congratulated candidates who emerged victorious in various primary elections across political parties and levels of contest.

 

MURIC described Hamzat’s emergence as a reflection of competence and credibility, noting that he successfully scaled through the party’s screening process and primary election.

 

According to the group, the Lagos deputy governor polled 657,917 votes in the APC governorship primary to defeat his rival, Olanrewaju Jim-Kamal, who secured one vote, while other aspirants, Abdul-Azeez Adediran, popularly known as Jandor, and Samuel Ajose, had earlier withdrawn from the race.

 

The organisation said it looked forward to Hamzat replicating the feat during the 2027 governorship election in Lagos State.

 

“MURIC heartily congratulates Dr. Kadri Obafemi Hamzat for this great feat. We look forward to its replication at the 2027 general elections,” the statement said.

 

The group also commended the endorsement of Hamzat by APC leaders and the support reportedly given to his candidature by President Bola Ahmed Tinubu.

 

While extending congratulations to other successful aspirants in governorship, senatorial and other primary elections, MURIC urged political stakeholders not to sideline Muslims in the search for competent leaders.

 

The organisation argued that highly skilled Muslims exist in all sectors and should be given equal opportunities in political appointments and elective positions.

 

“MURIC reaffirms its earlier position that there is no desertification of expertise in Islamdom. Highly skilled Muslims exist in all fields of human endeavour,” the statement added.

 

The group warned against what it described as the monopoly of public offices by Christians under the guise of searching for competence, stressing that Muslims also possess the capacity to excel in leadership positions.

 

To support its position, MURIC cited the achievements of Ishaq Oloyede at the Joint Admissions and Matriculation Board (JAMB), as well as the contributions of former Minister of Communications and Digital Economy, Isa Ali Pantami.

 

According to the organisation, both individuals demonstrated excellence in public office while also being respected Islamic scholars.

 

MURIC Congratulates Hamzat, Other Successful Candidates Across Party Primaries

Loading

Continue Reading

Trending