New York Governor Cuomo resigns amid sexual allegations - Newstrends
Connect with us

News

New York Governor Cuomo resigns amid sexual allegations

Published

on

New York Governor Andrew Cuomo announced his resignation Tuesday after more than a decade in office as the state legislature pursued an impeachment inquiry and amid sexual harassment allegations. A CBS News report said Cuomo, who gained national prominence during the COVID-19 pandemic, had been accused in a report by the state attorney general of sexually harassing 11 women, including staffers as well as people who did not work for his administration.

“I think that given the circumstances, the best way I can help now is if I step aside and let government get back to governing,” Cuomo said in a speech.

His resignation will take effect in 14 days and Lieutenant Governor Kathy Hochul will take over.

Cuomo’s announcement came one week after state Attorney General Letitia James announced the findings of her investigation into claims of sexual harassment and a toxic work environment against him. Cuomo’s top adviser, Melissa DeRosa, who was mentioned more than 180 times in the report, resigned Sunday night.

A majority of the New York Assembly, once filled with Cuomo’s allies, supported impeaching the governor, according to a count by the Associated Press. The Judiciary Committee had announced Monday that their impeachment inquiry would be wrapping up soon. They were not only investigating sexual harassment claims, but also his handling of COVID-19 in nursing homes, allegations related to the use of state resources in connection with Cuomo’s memoir and other issues.

In his speech, Cuomo started out by defending himself and said his “instinct is to fight through this controversy because I truly believe it is politically motivated.” He continued to try to cast himself as being a victim of changing attitudes and behaviours.

“In my mind, I never crossed the line with anyone, but I didn’t realize the extent to which the line is redrawn,” Cuomo said. He apologized to the women for his conduct.

But one of his accusers, Brittany Commisso, told “CBS This Morning” and the Albany Times Union that she decided to come forward in March after he denied the allegations and said he did nothing wrong. She said she felt he knew he had done something wrong.

“He almost has this smirk that he thinks that he’s untouchable,” Commisso said. “I almost feel like he has this sense of almost a celebrity status and it just — that was the tipping point. I broke down. I said ‘He is lying.'”

The attorney general’s report described an “unsafe” and “hostile” work environment in the governor’s office. It included testimony from Commisso, who said she was terrified of senior staff, including DeRosa, learning about her accusations.

Cuomo announced he would be resigning right after his outside counsel, Rita Glavin, tried to poke holes in some of the allegations in James’ investigation.

“I think women should be believed and treated fairly. I also believe men should be believed and treated fairly,” Glavin said. “The governor deserves to be treated fairly.”

In his resignation speech Tuesday, Cuomo also directly addressed his daughters, saying his “greatest goal is for them to have a better future than the generations of women before them.”

Cuomo and Glavin both sought to blame the media firestorm — which had once brought him national attention and adoration — for moving without investigating the facts.

“This is about politics,” Cuomo said. “And our political system today is too often driven by the extremes. Rashness has replaced reasonableness. Loudness has replaced soundness. Twitter has become the public square for policy debate. There is an intelligent discussion to be had on gender-based actions, on generational and cultural behavior differences, on setting higher standards and finding reasonable resolutions. But the political environment is too hot and too reactionary for that right now.”

But Cuomo, who was first elected governor in 2010, is a product of that political environment he now criticizes. The son of former Governor Mario Cuomo, he got his start in politics working for his father before accepting a position in the Clinton administration.

In 1990, he married Kerry Kennedy, the daughter of Robert and Ethel Kennedy, in a union called “Cuomolot” by the tabloids. According to People, she said she fell in love with him after he took her to a homeless shelter. They had three daughters, Michaela and twins Mariah and Cara Kennedy-Cuomo, but they split up in 2003. Cuomo then had a long relationship with lifestyle TV host and author Sandra Lee that ended in 2019.

He first ran for governor in 2002 to challenge George Pataki, the man who denied his father a fourth term as governor, but dropped out before the primary when it was evident he would not win. He settled to run for attorney general in 2006, and oversaw investigations into then Governor Eliot Spitzer — who resigned in 2008 after being caught up in a prostitution scandal— and Spitzer’s successor, David Paterson.

Cuomo ran for governor again in 2010, winning handily, and even was named one of People’s Sexist Men Alive that year. In 2011, he led the passage of same-sex marriage in New York state, which he continues to call one of his greatest accomplishments.

But allegations of corruption have shadowed his administration for years. Cuomo set up a commission in 2013 to root out corruption in Albany, called the Moreland Commission, but a 2014 New York Times report alleged he hobbled its investigation. And in 2018, one of his closest advisers, Joseph Percoco, who Cuomo referred to as his “father’s third son,” was sentenced to six years in prison on fraud and bribery charges.

Although he had always been in the national spotlight, his daily televised briefings during the COVID-19 pandemic made him seem like a national hero to many. New York was hit hard by the pandemic early, and his frank briefings won him nationwide attention. He was even honored with a special Emmy Award for his appearances. His brother Chris Cuomo, an anchor on CNN, had previously been banned from covering him, but amid the pandemic the two began regular segments bantering on the air.

But amid the plaudits, there was criticism that Cuomo had mishandled aspects of the COVID-19 battle, especially in nursing homes. DeRosa, who had been seated next to him at many of the briefings, told Democratic lawmakers that Cuomo’s administration took months to release data on the coronavirus death toll among the state’s nursing home residents because officials “froze” over worries the information was “going to be used against us.”

Before the sexual harassment allegations became public, Cuomo received an estimated $5 million to write a book on “leadership lessons” during the pandemic. The book sold a disappointing 48,000 copies but sagged amid the scandals. Eventually, even the Judiciary Committee said it would be investigating the book deal.

Cuomo had long been rumoured to be planning to seek a fourth term in 2022, which his father, who died in 2015, had been denied. Republican Congressman Lee Zedin, one of several GOP candidates aiming to unseat him, had made running against “King Cuomo” a central part of his campaign.

As the weight of the scandals grew, a March 2021 photo showing Cuomo calling allies on a cold day outside, draped in a blanket, seemed to foretell his political future. Five months later, with few allies left, he announced he would be resigning.

CBS News

Advertisement

News

Yoruba Muslim Group Dismisses Viral Ramadan Date Claim, Reaffirms Sultan of Sokoto’s Authority

Published

on

Sultan of Sokoto and Chief Imam of Ibadanland

Yoruba Muslim Group Dismisses Viral Ramadan Date Claim, Reaffirms Sultan of Sokoto’s Authority

A Yoruba Muslim group, Concerned Indigenous Yoruba Muslims, has dismissed as false, misleading, and divisive a viral social media report alleging that the Chief Imam of Ibadanland and the League of Imams in Yorubaland rejected the authority of the Sultan of Sokoto in determining the commencement of Ramadan in South-West Nigeria.

The report, which circulated online ahead of Ramadan 1447AH, claimed that Yoruba Muslim leaders had resolved to disengage from the Sultan’s traditional role of announcing moon sighting for the fasting period and instead align with indigenous religious structures. The group, however, said the claim was entirely fabricated and designed to sow discord within the Muslim community.

In a statement issued on Saturday, February 21, 2026 — the fourth day of Ramadan, and signed by public affairs analyst Nasrudeen Abbas, the group said the comments attributed to the Chief Imam of Ibadan, reportedly over 90 years old, could not have emanated from him. It described the publication as a calculated attempt to create unnecessary religious tension and misrepresent the position of Yoruba Muslims.

The group reaffirmed that Islamic affairs in Nigeria operate under established leadership structures, particularly the Nigerian Supreme Council for Islamic Affairs (NSCIA), which is headed by the Sultan of Sokoto, Muhammad Sa’ad Abubakar, as President-General. It explained that the NSCIA structure includes the President of the Muslim Ummah of South West Nigeria (MUSWEN) as Deputy President-General (South), the Shehu of Borno as Deputy President-General (North), alongside other national officers.

READ ALSO:

According to the group, any attempt to distance Yoruba Muslims from this nationally recognised structure threatens the unity of the Muslim Ummah in Nigeria and contradicts Islamic principles that emphasise cohesion, collective leadership, and obedience to constituted authority.

The group also faulted claims that the Sultan’s position is merely a traditional title limited to Sokoto State. It stressed that the Sultan’s authority in Islamic matters is rooted in scholarship and the historical caliphate system, noting that emirs in Northern Nigeria often combine traditional authority with religious leadership. As an example, it cited Muhammadu Sanusi II, who regularly delivers Friday sermons and performs Islamic rites.

It further explained that in Yorubaland, traditional rulers generally do not head religious affairs, except in rare cases. The group referenced the late Awujale of Ijebu Land, who once served as President-General of the Ogun State Muslim Council, stressing that such roles remain exceptions rather than the norm.

The statement also recalled the position of the late Kazeem Yayi Akorede, former President-General of the League of Imams and Alfas in the South West. According to the group, Sheikh Akorede initially questioned the Sultan’s leadership role but later accepted it after clarifications that the position was based on Islamic scholarship and caliphate leadership, not mere traditional kingship. It added that until his death, he consistently aligned with the Sultan’s announcements on the commencement and termination of Ramadan.

Describing the viral publication as unethical, the group criticised claims that Yoruba Muslims are not religiously bound to the Sultan’s authority and that religious leadership should go beyond duties such as moon sighting announcements. It alleged that such narratives were politically motivated and aimed at advancing a separatist agenda under the guise of religious autonomy.

The group warned that politicising religious matters could undermine religious harmony and national unity, urging those behind the report to desist from actions capable of creating discord among Muslims across the country. It concluded by stressing that the unity of the Muslim Ummah in Nigeria remains paramount and must not be compromised by what it described as sectarian or politically engineered narratives.

Yoruba Muslim Group Dismisses Viral Ramadan Date Claim, Reaffirms Sultan of Sokoto’s Authority

Continue Reading

News

NNPC CEO Ojulari Receives Prestigious Energy Institute Fellowship in London

Published

on

NNPC Group Chief Executive Officer Engr. Bashir Bayo Ojulari Receives Prestigious Energy Institute Fellowship
NNPC Group Chief Executive Officer Engr. Bashir Bayo Ojulari Receives Prestigious Energy Institute Fellowship

NNPC CEO Ojulari Receives Prestigious Energy Institute Fellowship in London

The Nigerian National Petroleum Company Limited (NNPC Ltd.) has earned international acclaim as its Group Chief Executive Officer, Engr. Bashir Bayo Ojulari, has been conferred with the Fellowship of the Energy Institute (FEI), United Kingdom — one of the highest honours in the global energy industry.

The Fellowship recognises senior energy leaders who have demonstrated sustained, high-impact contributions to the advancement of the energy sector. It was formally conferred on Ojulari during International Energy Week (IEW) in London, a leading platform for energy policy, finance, and industry leadership. (punchng.com)

The honour was presented by Andy Brown, President of the Energy Institute, who praised Ojulari’s transformative leadership of NNPC Ltd., highlighting his role in strengthening governance, embedding a performance-driven culture, and repositioning the company for long-term value creation.

Under his stewardship, NNPC Ltd. has implemented investor-focused reforms, enhanced operational excellence, and expanded strategic global partnerships, all contributing to increased confidence in Nigeria’s energy sector. The recognition reinforces NNPC’s ongoing transformation into a commercially driven, globally competitive, and transparent energy company.

READ ALSO:

Significance for Nigeria and Africa

Experts note that the FEI Fellowship is not only a personal achievement for Ojulari but also a major institutional endorsement of NNPC Ltd.’s reform agenda. Being recognised at International Energy Week, which convenes policymakers, financiers, regulators, and industry leaders, positions the company at the centre of critical global energy discussions on sustainability, energy transition, and capital formation.

The award also signals growing international confidence in NNPC Ltd. and highlights Nigeria’s strategic role in Africa’s energy security and global energy transition ambitions. (vanguardngr.com)

Ojulari’s Leadership Achievements

Since assuming office, Engr. Ojulari has overseen multiple strategic reforms at NNPC Ltd., including:

  • Driving governance and operational reforms to boost accountability.
  • Expanding strategic partnerships and investor-focused initiatives.
  • Enhancing execution efficiency across the company’s subsidiaries.
  • Positioning NNPC Ltd. as a credible, investment-ready energy enterprise.

These efforts have not only improved the company’s profitability and performance but also strengthened Nigeria’s energy security and market competitiveness. (punchng.com)

Ojulari described the Fellowship as a reflection of collective effort within NNPC and reiterated his commitment to sustainable value creation, global best practices, and energy sector innovation.

NNPC CEO Ojulari Receives Prestigious Energy Institute Fellowship in London

Continue Reading

News

FCT Polls: CSO Situation Room Flags Late Voting, Vote Buying, Logistical Challenges

Published

on

CSO Situation Room

FCT Polls: CSO Situation Room Flags Late Voting, Vote Buying, Logistical Challenges

The Nigeria Civil Society Situation Room has raised concerns over multiple irregularities in the ongoing Federal Capital Territory (FCT) Area Council Elections, citing late polling unit openings, reports of vote buying, and logistical challenges that could affect voter participation.

According to the Situation Room, a coalition of over 70 civil society organisations advocating for credible elections in Nigeria, many polling units opened late, with an average start time of 9:15 a.m., well after the official 8:30 a.m. schedule. Observers also noted low voter turnout in several areas, particularly in AMAC, although queues began forming later in Kuje, Kwali, Gwagwalada, and Abaji Area Councils.

Vote Buying Observed

The coalition reported instances of vote buying, with voters allegedly offered up to ₦10,000 in exchange for ballots in units such as PU008, PU056, PU057, and PU058 in Gidan Mangoro Ward, AMAC. While some of the transactions were open, others were conducted discreetly.

The Situation Room warned that such electoral malpractice undermines the integrity of the election and called on electoral officials, political parties, and security agencies to intervene and prevent further incidents.

READ ALSO:

Logistical and Accessibility Issues

Observers noted that some voters struggled to locate their polling units after last-minute changes communicated by INEC via text messages. The Bimodal Voter Accreditation System (BVAS) generally performed efficiently, with a one-minute average accreditation time, though malfunctions were reported in a few units including Gwako Town Primary Schools II & IV and PU143, Gwagwalada.

The Situation Room also highlighted accessibility challenges for voters with disabilities, noting that braille ballot guides, magnifying glasses, and other assistive materials were largely absent, even in designated disability communities such as Karimajiji and PU052, Wuse.

Security and Election Conduct

Security personnel, including officers from the Nigeria Police, Civil Defence, Immigration Service, and Fire Service, were present in significant numbers and generally maintained order and professionalism.

Isolated incidents of intimidation and harassment were reported in locations such as Grade 1 Area Court, Rubochi (Kuje); Naharati Sabo School II, Rimba/Ebagi; and PU3, UNG Liman/UNGWAR LIMAN 1, Abaji Central, but security agents swiftly resolved these situations.

Call for Calm and Integrity

The Situation Room commended the INEC FCT Help Desk for promptly addressing reported issues and called on all stakeholders to maintain calm, resist vote buying, and ensure that the will of the people is respected as the polls continue and results are collated.

The report was jointly signed by Mma Odi and Celestine Odo, co-conveners of the coalition.

FCT Polls: CSO Situation Room Flags Late Voting, Vote Buying, Logistical Challenges

Continue Reading
HostArmada Affordable Cloud SSD Shared Hosting
HostArmada - Affordable Cloud SSD Web Hosting

Trending