Business
Nigeria loses $1.092bn claim as Italian court acquits Eni, Shell

Nigeria’s request for a court order compelling Eni and Royal Dutch Shell to pay $1.092bn as an immediate advance payment for damages in one of the oil industry’s biggest-ever corruption trials has failed.
This followed the acquittal on Wednesday by an Italian court of Shell, Eni and their managers in the controversial Malabu scandal.
The Malabu scandal involved the transfer of about $1.1 billion by Shell and Eni through the Nigerian government to accounts controlled by a former Nigerian petroleum minister, Dan Etete.
The sentence, read out in court by Judge Marco Tremolada, came more than three years after the trial first began and after a total of 74 hearings.
At a hearing into alleged corruption linked to Eni and Shell’s 2011 acquisition of the OPL 245 field, Lucio Lucia, lawyer for the Nigerian government, called for a guilty verdict and an advance payment, ahead of any broader damages package set by a court at a later date.
Lucia did not specify how much Nigeria was seeking in damages overall, but said the disputed deal had deprived Nigeria of “profit oil”, adding that “these are massive amounts”.
The lawyer said, calculated under two different scenarios, the profits that had been lost amounted to $4.5bn and $5.9bn respectively.
From accounts controlled by Mr Etete, about half the money ($520 million) went to accounts of companies controlled by Aliyu Abubakar, popularly known in Nigeria as the owner of AA oil.
Anti-corruption investigators and activists suspect he fronted for top officials of the Goodluck Jonathan administration as well of officials of Shell and ENI.
The transaction was authorised in 2011 by Mr Jonathan through some of his cabinet ministers and the money was payment for OPL 245, one of Nigeria’s richest oil blocks.
Although Shell and ENI initially claimed they did not know the money would end up with Mr Etete and his cronies, evidence later showed that the claim was false.
Shell, Eni, Mr Etete, Mr Aliyu and several officials of the oil firms are being prosecuted in Italy for their roles in the scandal.
Italian prosecutors had alleged corruption in the deal while campaigners said the Nigerian government was short-changed.
After years of trial, the court in Milan has now determined that Shell and Eni are not guilty of the charges.
On April 9, 1998, the Federal Military Government awarded OPL 245 to Malabu Oil and Gas Ltd, which was said to be owned mainly by Mohammed Abacha, son of the Sani Abacha, and Etete, who was the petroleum minister at the time.
On July 2, 2001, President Olusegun Obasanjo revoked Malabu’s licence and assigned the oil block to Shell — without a public bid.
Malabu went to court, but ownership was reverted to it in 2006 after it reached an out-of-court settlement with the federal government. Shell fought back and commenced arbitration against Nigeria, but when President Goodluck Jonathan came to power in 2010, the controversy appeared to have been resolved with Shell and Eni agreeing to buy the oil block from Malabu for $1.1 billion.
The oil companies also paid $210 million as signature bonus to the Federal Government of Nigeria.
Business
More heads to roll in NNPCL, subsidiaries as Ojulari assumes office

More heads to roll in NNPCL, subsidiaries as Ojulari assumes office
There are indications that more heads will roll in the Nigerian National Petroleum Company Limited, NNPCL and its subsidiaries as Engineer Bayo Ojulari yesterday assumed office as the new Group Chief Executive Officer.
This was even as the management and staff of NNPC Ltd welcomed the appointment of a new GCEO Officer and Board of Directors for the company by President Bola Ahmed Tinubu.
However, checks Vanguard showed that the reorganisation would start from the corporate headquarters to the subsidiaries, including Upstream, Gas and Power, new Energy, Downstream and Non-Energy businesses.
The checks indicated that the reorganisation would be targeted at ensuring that round pegs are placed into round holes based on the commitment of the new leadership to achieve national goals and objectives in the oil and gas industry.
READ ALSO:
- Barcelona beat Atletico to set up cup final against Real Madrid
- NNPCL hikes petrol pump price to N950/litre
- Liverpool leap closer to title with narrow Everton win
It was confirmed that the businesses to be impacted include the NNPC E&P Limited (NEPL), NNPC Upstream Investment Management Services (NUIMS), NNPC Energy Services Limited (EnServ), NNPC Engineering and Technical Company (NETCO), NNPC New Energy Limited (NNEL), NNPC Gas Infrastructure Company (NGIC), NNPC Gas Marketing Limited (NGML), and NNPC Gas & Power Investment Services (NGPIS).
They also include NNPC Trading Limited (NTL) NNPC Retail Limited (NRL), NNPC Shipping Limited (NSL), NNPC RefChem Limited (NRCL), NNPC Downstream Investment Services (NDIS), Nigerian Pipelines and Storage Company Limited (NPSC), National Energy Reserve Management Company (NERMC), NNPC Non-Energy Investment Services (NNIS), NNPC Foundation Limited/Gte, NNPC Academy, NNPC Properties Limited (NPL), and Health Maintenance Organization (HMO) and Research Technology and Innovation (RTI).
More heads to roll in NNPCL, subsidiaries as Ojulari assumes office
Business
NNPCL hikes petrol pump price to N950/litre

NNPCL hikes petrol pump price to N950/litre
The Nigerian National Petroleum Company Limited (NNPCL) has raised petrol prices to N925 per litre in Lagos and N950 per litre in Abuja, effective April 2, 2025.
This represents an N65 increase from the previous price of N860 per litre in Lagos and an N70 increase from the previous price of N880 in the North.
Last week, MRS and other independent marketers increased the price of petrol, raising its pump price to ₦930 per litre in Lagos and ₦960 for residents living in the northern part of the country.
Industry experts stated that the new increase is a direct fallout of the recent suspension of sales of petroleum products in naira by the Dangote refinery.
The adjustment reflects changes in Nigeria’s deregulated fuel market, including competition, supply costs, and global oil price trends.
It also coincides with the appointment of new leadership at the national oil firm, NNPCL, by President Bola Tinubu on Wednesday. The board was also restructured.
READ ALSO:
- Liverpool leap closer to title with narrow Everton win
- Deadly strikes in Gaza as Netanyahu says Israel will seize new military corridor
- Wike congratulates Okpebholo on tribunal victory
The NNPCL retail stations in Fadeyi, Ago Palace Way, and Ogba, as well as the NNPC station on College Road, have adjusted their prices to N925.
In Ikeja, outlets on Acme Road and the Lagos-Abeokuta Motorway have also raised their pump prices to the new rate.
However, due to logistical delays, not all NNPC stations in Lagos may have updated their prices simultaneously.
In the Federal Capital Territory, the national oil firm station located along the Kubwa motorway upped its price to N950 from N880 per litre. Other stations along Wuse effected the same increase.
This adjustment follows months of price competition. In March 2025, NNPC dropped their pricing to N860 per litre, matching Dangote Refinery’s lower rates.
However, due to rising global oil prices, exchange rate fluctuations, and changes in crude oil sourcing costs, NNPC has now revised prices upward.
Earlier in 2025, NNPC had supplied petrol at N925 per litre in December 2024 before various price adjustments.
The present rate in Lagos remains cheaper than in certain other places, including Abuja, where rates recently stood at ₦880 per litre.
NNPCL hikes petrol pump price to N950/litre
Auto
Toyota corporation taps on Winpart by CFAO to distribute CWorks batteries in Nigeria

Toyota corporation taps on Winpart by CFAO to distribute CWorks batteries in Nigeria
Leading distributor and importer of high-quality automotive spare parts and lubricants in Nigeria, Winpart by CFAO, has commenced the distribution of Cworks batteries in Nigeria.
Cworks is a premium automotive battery brand from Toyota Tsusho Corporation.
The battery introduction, the company says, marks a new era of reliability, durability, and high performance for Nigerian motorists and businesses.
The firm in a statement obtained by Newstrends says as an official distributor and importer of top-quality automotive spare parts, Winpart by CFAO has continued to bring globally trusted brands to Nigeria, ensuring that vehicle owners and businesses have access to world-class solutions.
Developed under the renowned Toyota Tsusho Corporation, Cworks batteries are engineered to deliver superior power, a longer lifespan, and consistent performance in all driving conditions.
Winpart by CFAO says CWorks is a product of “renowned Toyota Tsusho excellence, designed to meet global automotive standards; long-lasting performance, built for durability and resilience on Nigerian roads and weather conditions.”
The company disclosing that the batteries are now available through Winpart by CFAO outlets added that the product would facilitate “reliable power supply, ensuring smooth engine starts and sustained power for all vehicle types”.
General Manager of Winpart by CFAO, Mohamed TALEB, said, “We are excited to introduce Cworks batteries to Nigerian motorists. As a brand from Toyota Tsusho Corporation, Cworks battery reflects the same commitment to quality and performance that Toyota is known for worldwide.
“With Winpart by CFAO, Nigerians can now enjoy a battery that delivers reliability, longevity, and value.”
According to the firm, through Winpart by CFAO, Cworks batteries will be available across Nigeria via authorized dealers and service centres, ensuring easy access to high-quality battery solutions.
The company added that more information on CWORKS Batteries, can be obtained from its website- www.winpart.com.ng.
-
metro3 days ago
Breaking: Tinubu sacks Kyari, appoints Ojulari as new NNPCL GCEO
-
metro2 days ago
Man jailed 3 months for non-declaration of $30,000 at airport
-
International2 days ago
Trump slams Nigeria with high tariff in shocking trade crackdown
-
metro2 days ago
Updated: Notorious bandit leader Bello Turji goes berserk, kills 12 for Eid
-
metro2 days ago
Edo Gov Okpebholo wins round one as tribunal upholds his election
-
metro3 days ago
Police hunt for last suspect in LASU graduate killing
-
metro17 hours ago
Petitioners mobilise constituents for fresh Natasha’s recall
-
metro2 days ago
South African court acquits Nigerian pastor of rape after 8 years in jail