metro
NSCDC arrests 13 suspected vandals, illegal miners in FCT
NSCDC arrests 13 suspected vandals, illegal miners in FCT
The Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corps, FCT Command, has arrested two suspected vandals of railway infrastructure and 11 illegal miners.
Spokesperson of the corps in FCT, Comfort Okomanyi, who disclosed this in a statement on Tuesday, December 19, 2023, said the two railway vandals were arrested by the operatives of the Critical National Assets and Infrastructure unit of the command, for willfully vandalising rail tracks, and traffic lights in the Wuye Area of the territory,
According to the statement, the Command in collaboration with the Nigerian Army arrested the 11 suspects involved in illegal mining activities at Izom, a community located at the boundary of FCT and Niger State.
Parading the suspects at the command, the FCT Commandant, Olusola Odumosu, noted that the proactive measures taken by the Command would serve as deterrence to other criminals within the territory.
“Our effort is geared towards combating various forms of criminality, particularly vandalism of Critical National Assets and other public infrastructure, illegal mining activities and among others within the FCT,” he said.
READ ALSO:
- We’ll end insecurity in 2024, FG vows
- Losing my husband was very tough – Ego Ihenacho
- Two remanded for killing friend over bags of rice
“We will continue to demonstrate zero tolerance to vandalism and there is no plan to retreat on this mission as they must all be brought to book.
“I have vowed that there is no hiding place for evil perpetrators, so in this vein, active efforts are underway to apprehend their masterminds who are still at large,”
He reiterated that economic sabotage through illegal exploitation of the nation’s mineral resources not only poses serious threats to the ecosystem but also makes the country lose billions of naira to illegal operators.
The Commandant also warned vandals of critical national assets, one chance syndicate, scavengers, and kidnappers that such crimes activities will not be tolerated within the FCT jurisdiction again.
“We remain committed and dedicated to ridding FCT of criminalities and we are working tirelessly to identify and apprehend individuals or groups engaged in criminal activities that undermine the safety and prosperity of the citizens,” the Commandant assured.
“The apprehended suspects are being investigated and would be subsequently charged to court as they are currently assisting with useful information that would determine their level of culpability or affiliation with other criminal syndicates notorious for illegal mining operations within the FCT.”
NSCDC arrests 13 suspected vandals, illegal miners in FCT
![]()
metro
Makinde Orders Massive Security Crackdown After Oyo School Abduction
Makinde Orders Massive Security Crackdown After Oyo School Abduction
Oyo State Governor, Seyi Makinde, has intensified rescue operations following the abduction of seven teachers during a deadly attack by suspected terrorists and bandits on two schools in Oriire Local Government Area of the state.
The attack, which targeted Community High School, Ahoro-Esinle, and Yawota Baptist Nursery and Primary School, has triggered widespread fear and outrage across Oyo State, with security agencies now carrying out coordinated operations to rescue the victims and track down the attackers.
Speaking during a late-night security briefing in Ibadan after a high-level meeting with security chiefs, Makinde confirmed that one of the abducted teachers had been killed by the gunmen.
“Unfortunately, we received a video this morning indicating that one of the teachers, a Mathematics teacher, was killed by the terrorists,” the governor said.
“Our thoughts and prayers are with the families affected.”
Makinde disclosed that seven teachers were confirmed abducted during the attack, while authorities were still trying to determine the exact number of missing pupils because of the confusion that followed the invasion of the schools.
“We don’t have any accurate number right now because when the incident happened, students, parents and guardians moved in different directions,” he explained.
“Until we reopen the schools and verify the registers, we cannot provide a precise number.”
The governor announced that the state government had launched an expanded joint security operation involving the Nigerian Army, Police, Department of State Services (DSS), Amotekun Corps, local hunters and intelligence agencies.
According to him, the operation is focused on rescuing the victims, dismantling criminal hideouts and restoring security across vulnerable communities in Oriire and surrounding areas.
Makinde revealed that some security operatives were injured during rescue operations after encountering improvised explosive devices (IEDs) allegedly planted by the attackers.
READ ALSO:
- EFCC Targets N123bn Recovery From Six Ex-Buhari Ministers
- Lagos Council Chairmen Endorse Hamzat For 2027 Governorship Race
- Herbalist’s Wife Arrested After Pouring Hot Water on Co-Wife
“One of the Amotekun operatives is currently in critical condition, while soldiers, hunters and other operatives sustained injuries during the operation,” he said.
“The government will take full responsibility for their treatment and recovery.”
The governor stressed that the rescue effort remained highly delicate and required strategic coordination to avoid putting the abducted victims at greater risk.
“This is a difficult and painful situation. There are no quick fixes, but we will continue to push ourselves to the limit to ensure that our children are brought back safely,” he added.
Makinde also announced that the Oyo State Government would begin daily press briefings to keep residents informed about developments in the rescue mission and security operations.
In a major breakthrough, the governor disclosed that security agencies had arrested several suspects linked to the attack, including individuals accused of supplying intelligence and logistics to the gunmen.
“About six individuals have been arrested within the locality. Some of them are believed to be informants or persons providing logistical support to the terrorists,” he stated.
“Three other persons of interest have also been arrested by another security outfit within the state.”
Security sources said the suspects were picked up during coordinated raids carried out in nearby communities following intelligence gathering by local vigilantes and security operatives.
Makinde warned that increased military offensives against terrorists and bandits in Nigeria’s North-West and North-East were forcing criminal groups to migrate towards southern states, including parts of the South-West.
“With increased pressure on terrorists and bandits in the North-West and North-East, they will continue to move southwards,” he warned.
“We must be prepared to neutralise or contain that pressure.”
The governor disclosed that Oyo State had already strengthened collaboration with neighbouring states and regional security outfits to improve intelligence sharing and coordinated responses against emerging security threats.
He also reaffirmed his administration’s commitment to upgrading the state’s security architecture around vulnerable areas such as schools, highways, factories and farming communities.
“We just have to keep pushing and retooling our security architecture to focus on vulnerable points — whether schools, factories, or people travelling from one place to another,” Makinde stated.
Meanwhile, the Inspector-General of Police, Olatunji Disu, has reportedly ordered the deployment of additional tactical and intelligence teams to support the ongoing rescue operations in the affected communities.
The governor appealed to residents, community leaders and religious organisations, especially the Baptist Convention, to remain calm and cooperate with security agencies by providing useful information.
“One of the affected schools is a Baptist school, and I want to appeal to the Baptist Convention and all residents not to panic,” Makinde said.
“We are doing everything within our power to ensure this situation is resolved quickly and safely.”
He added that while the government would continue to provide regular updates to the public, sensitive operational details capable of compromising rescue efforts would remain confidential.
The latest school attack has renewed concerns about rising insecurity in parts of Oyo State and the South-West, with civil society groups and education stakeholders demanding stronger protection for schools and rural communities.
Makinde Orders Massive Security Crackdown After Oyo School Abduction
![]()
metro
EFCC Targets N123bn Recovery From Six Ex-Buhari Ministers
EFCC Targets N123bn Recovery From Six Ex-Buhari Ministers
The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) is intensifying efforts to recover more than N123.7bn allegedly linked to corruption, fraud and money laundering involving six former ministers who served under the administration of late President Muhammadu Buhari.
The anti-graft agency is currently prosecuting and investigating the former cabinet members over allegations ranging from abuse of office and contract fraud to diversion of public funds and illicit asset acquisition during Buhari’s administration between 2015 and 2023.
The former ministers under EFCC scrutiny are ex-Attorney-General and Minister of Justice, Abubakar Malami (SAN); former Aviation Minister, Hadi Sirika; ex-Minister of Power, Saleh Mamman; former Labour Minister, Chris Ngige; former Minister of State for Petroleum Resources, Timipre Sylva; and former Humanitarian Affairs Minister, Sadiya Umar Farouq.
The investigations have renewed public scrutiny of the anti-corruption legacy of the Buhari administration, which came into office in 2015 with a strong promise to fight corruption.
As a presidential candidate, Buhari famously declared: “If we don’t kill corruption, corruption will kill Nigeria.”
However, several senior officials who served in his government later became subjects of high-profile corruption allegations and financial crime investigations.
Among the former ministers, ex-Power Minister Saleh Mamman has recorded the most significant legal setback after his conviction by a Federal High Court in Abuja.
The court found Mamman guilty on 12 counts bordering on money laundering and diversion of public funds linked to the Mambilla and Zungeru Hydroelectric Power projects.
Justice James Omotosho sentenced the former minister to a cumulative 75 years imprisonment after ruling that about N33.8bn earmarked for critical power projects was diverted through proxies and shell companies.
READ ALSO:
- Lagos Council Chairmen Endorse Hamzat For 2027 Governorship Race
- Herbalist’s Wife Arrested After Pouring Hot Water on Co-Wife
- AFIDMURG Trains Over 150 African Researchers On Infectious Disease Systematic Review
The court also ordered Mamman to refund approximately N22bn to the Federal Government.
The EFCC described the conviction as one of its biggest successes in the prosecution of politically exposed persons in recent years.
Former Aviation Minister Hadi Sirika is currently standing trial alongside his daughter, Fatima Sirika, and son-in-law, Jalal Sule, over alleged abuse of office and fraudulent contract awards valued at about N2.7bn.
According to the EFCC, Sirika allegedly used his office to award contracts linked to the Katsina Airport project and consultancy services for a Nigerian Air Force initiative to companies associated with members of his family.
The defendants pleaded not guilty when they were arraigned before the Federal High Court in Abuja and were later granted bail.
The trial is expected to continue later this year.
Former Minister of Labour and Employment, Chris Ngige, was arraigned in December 2025 over allegations of abuse of office, unlawful gratification and contract fraud.
The EFCC alleged that the former Anambra governor received financial benefits and gifts worth about N2.26bn from contractors linked to the Nigeria Social Insurance Trust Fund (NSITF) during his tenure as minister.
Prosecutors accused Ngige of influencing contract processes and benefiting from companies awarded government contracts under agencies supervised by his ministry.
Ngige pleaded not guilty to the charges.
Former Attorney-General of the Federation, Abubakar Malami (SAN), is also facing multiple investigations over alleged illicit financial dealings, suspicious investments and money laundering.
The EFCC is probing investments reportedly worth over N10bn in Kebbi State as well as transactions connected to recovered Sani Abacha loot amounting to about N346.2m.
In January 2026, a Federal High Court in Abuja ordered the interim forfeiture of 57 properties allegedly linked to Malami and two of his sons.
The properties, spread across Abuja, Kebbi, Kano and Kaduna states, were valued at more than N213.2bn.
Some of the assets listed by investigators include luxury duplexes in Maitama and Asokoro, hotels, schools, factories, petrol stations and commercial buildings.
Malami, his wife and one of his sons are also facing an alleged N8.7bn money laundering case before the Federal High Court in Abuja.
The EFCC also declared former Minister of State for Petroleum Resources, Timipre Sylva, wanted over an alleged $14.8m fraud, equivalent to about N21bn.
The anti-graft agency accused the former Bayelsa governor of conspiracy and dishonest conversion of funds belonging to the Nigerian Content Development and Monitoring Board (NCDMB).
According to investigators, the money was allegedly diverted for the development of the Atlantic International Refinery project.
Former Humanitarian Affairs Minister, Sadiya Umar Farouq, is also under investigation over alleged diversion of public funds.
The former minister is being investigated over an earlier EFCC probe involving alleged diversion of N37.1bn from social intervention programmes.
She is also linked to another case involving alleged diversion of about $1.3m and N746.6m.
The investigations are part of broader efforts by the EFCC to track the management of public funds under the previous administration.
With several cases still pending before different courts, legal analysts say the outcome of the prosecutions could shape public perception of Nigeria’s anti-corruption war and determine whether the government can successfully recover billions of naira allegedly diverted by former public officials.
If convictions and final forfeiture orders are secured, the Federal Government could recover more than N123bn in cash and assets linked to the embattled ex-ministers.
EFCC Targets N123bn Recovery From Six Ex-Buhari Ministers
![]()
metro
Herbalist’s Wife Arrested After Pouring Hot Water on Co-Wife
Herbalist’s Wife Arrested After Pouring Hot Water on Co-Wife
WODAH VILLAGE, CROSS RIVER STATE — A domestic violence incident in a polygamous home has left a young woman with severe burns and her attacker in police custody. Blessing, the first wife of a local herbalist known as Dr. Respect Ogar, allegedly poured a pot of boiling water on her co-wife, Mary, over the weekend in Wodah village, Yala Local Government Area of Northern Cross River State. The attack, which occurred on Saturday morning, has reignited public discourse around bride price disputes, traditional marriage rites, and polygamy-related tensions in rural Nigeria.
According to multiple village sources, the conflict between the two wives was not sudden. It had been brewing for years, rooted in a glaring imbalance in how their husband conducted his customary marriages. Blessing, the first wife, has lived with the herbalist for many years and borne him five male children. Yet, despite her long-standing role and fertility, Dr. Respect Ogar never paid her bride price nor performed formal traditional marriage rites for her. In stark contrast, the second wife, Mary, who has no child for the herbalist, received full marriage rites, including bride price payment and traditional ceremonies. The husband also reportedly bought Mary a plot of land and rented an apartment for her in town—privileges Blessing never enjoyed.
READ ALSO:
- AFIDMURG Trains Over 150 African Researchers On Infectious Disease Systematic Review
- Over 90 Students Discharged After Ogun Methane Leak Incident In Ijebu-Ode
- ‘No Election While We Are Dying’ — Benue South Youths Block Roads
A community source named Ochuole told reporters that Mary frequently mocked Blessing over her marital status. She often tells her senior mate that the husband bought her a plot of land and rented an apartment for her in town, while the first wife has nothing. All these made Blessing angry, and when Mary again began to taunt her on Saturday morning, she poured hot water on her. The persistent humiliation allegedly reached a breaking point on Saturday. After another round of taunting, Blessing fetched a pot of boiling water and poured it on Mary, causing severe burns to her chest and stomach.
Mary was first rushed to Life First Clinic in Abachor for emergency treatment. Due to the severity of her injuries, she was later transferred to Ogoja General Hospital. Medical sources confirm that her condition requires advanced care, and arrangements have been made to move her to the University of Calabar Teaching Hospital (UCTH) in Calabar for specialized burn treatment. Meanwhile, Blessing was initially arrested and taken to the Okuku Police Station. However, following threats of retaliation from Mary’s family, law enforcement officials transferred her to the Divisional Police Station in Okpoma for her own safety, where she remains in custody as investigations continue.
This incident is not isolated. Recent reports from the Cross River State Commissioner for Women Affairs indicate that violence against women remains rampant across the state. In March 2026, a 26-year-old woman was allegedly murdered by her boyfriend in the same region over infidelity accusations. The Ogoja case highlights how customary marriage practices — especially disparities in bride price payment — can fuel jealousy, resentment, and violent outbursts in polygamous settings. As Mary recovers in hospital, legal experts say Blessing could face grievous bodily harm charges under Nigerian criminal law. Meanwhile, human rights advocates are calling on the Cross River State Government and the Ministry of Women Affairs to mediate bride price-related disputes before they escalate into violence.
Herbalist’s Wife Arrested After Pouring Hot Water on Co-Wife
![]()
-
metro2 days agoFrank Edoho Breaks Silence, Accuses Estranged Wife of Affair With Singer Chike
-
metro3 days agoOver 100 Students Hospitalised as Fresh Suspected Gas Leak Hits Ogun Schools
-
metro3 days agoHow I Nearly Lost My Job Over Desmond Elliot, Lagos Assembly Crisis — Gbajabiamila
-
metro2 days agoFayose Loses Wife To Cancer After Prolonged Illness
-
Politics3 days ago‘I’m Sorry My Daddy’ — Desmond Elliot Tenders Public Apology to Gbajabiamila
-
metro2 days agoMURIC Raises Alarm Over Appointments, Administrative Processes at FUNATO
-
Politics2 days agoOsogbo Community Leader Sues for Peace as Political Rivalry Divides Odekilekun Family
-
metro17 hours agoAbducted Oyo School Principal Begs FG For Rescue In Viral Video
