Ogun shuts down Harvarde College’s Nursing department for lack of accreditation – Newstrends
Connect with us

News

Ogun shuts down Harvarde College’s Nursing department for lack of accreditation

Published

on

Ogun shuts down Harvarde College’s Nursing department for lack of accreditation

The Ogun state government has closed the Nursing Department of Harvarde College of Science Business and Management Studies in Abeokuta as it operated without accreditation from the Nursing and Midwifery Council of Nigeria (NMCN).  

The enforcement team, comprising officials from the Ogun Ministry of Health’s enforcement team and members of the State Nursing and Midwifery Committee (SNMC), sealed the department on Tuesday. 

The shutdown  

Dr Kayode Oladehinde, the Permanent Secretary of the Ogun Ministry of Health, revealed during the enforcement exercise that the private institution had been offering a degree program in Nursing Sciences for approximately six years without the required accreditation.  

  • Represented by the Acting Director of Nursing Services, Mrs. Serifat Aminu, Oladehinde stressed that such unauthorized programs contribute to quackery in nursing, posing a threat to public health. 

READ ALSO:

 

  • The nursing department will remain sealed until it obtains full accreditation, as emphasized by Oladehinde.  
  • He denounced the value of a Nursing degree obtained from Harvarde College and similar unaccredited institutions, stating that graduates would be unable to obtain a valid license to practice in Nigeria and other parts of the world. 

He expressed concern about the proliferation of institutions offering nursing degrees without accreditation, leading to the production of quacks in the nursing profession, which poses a danger to society.  

Oladehinde urged parents and candidates interested in nursing programs to conduct due diligence by checking the NMCN website for a list of accredited institutions, cautioning against wasting time and resources on unaccredited programs. 

The permanent secretary warned parents to be wary of institutions making false claims and assured that the Ogun government would continue its efforts to combat quackery in both the education and practice of the nursing profession in the state. 

In response to the closure, a 300-level student, who preferred to remain anonymous, expressed shock at the lack of accreditation, regretting the financial investment her parents had made on her behalf in the unaccredited program. 

Ogun shuts down Harvarde College’s Nursing department for lack of accreditation

News

Nigerians demand immediate removal of Power Minister Adebayo Adelabu

Published

on

Minister of Power Bayo Adelabu

Nigerians demand immediate removal of Power Minister Adebayo Adelabu

Angry Nigerians have called on President Bola Tinubu, to as a matter of urgency, sack the Minister of Power, Mr Bayo Adelabu, saying; “they experience little or no electricity power supply to their homes and businesses.”

Some X (formerly Twitter) users took to the app to pour out their anger, asking the Minister of Power to resign after experiencing total darkness in their vicinity for weeks.

Gbolahan said in a tweet, “Honorable Minister Of Darkness…If you can’t help us, why not leave us the way you met us.

“For the past weeks, I’ve spent my profit & part of my savings on diesel…just to keep my business running. It has never been this bad. @officialABAT @BayoAdelabu”.

READ ALSO:

“With all due respect, what actually is the minister of power doing in the office? @BayoAdelabu. With all due respect sir, can U tell Nigerians what is going on?

“We acknowledged Ur advise that we should always put off our freezers but then what next after turning off the freezer?”, Another X user said.

Recall that the Nigerian government announced a 200% hike in electricity tariff for some consumers amid a paltry electricity supply below 5,000 megawatts. Distribution companies (DisCos) will be allowed to raise electricity prices to N225 per kilowatt-hour from N68.

Business owners and analysts said the move will further cut the slim survival rate of an average business and the disposable income of many homes struggling to survive the current economic situation.

Nigerians demand immediate removal of Power Minister Adebayo Adelabu

Continue Reading

News

Nigerian man faces 20-year imprisonment in US over fraud, after pleading guilty

Published

on

Nigerian man faces 20-year imprisonment in US over fraud, after pleading guilty

A 57-year-old Nigerian man, Oluseun Omole, has reportedly pleaded guilty to fraud in the United States (US).

According to a press release by Damian Williams, the United States Attorney for the Southern District of New York, Omole pleaded guilty before U.S. Judge Katharine H. Parker on charges borderingconspiracy to commit wire fraud.

The press release reads : “Damian Williams, the United States Attorney for the Southern District of New York, announced that OLUSEUN MARTINS OMOLE, aka “Seun Omole,” pled guilty today to conspiracy to commit wire fraud for his participation in a widespread scheme to defraud thousands of victims in the United States and elsewhere of thousands of consumer electronics and other goods totalling more than $12 million. Omole pled guilty before U.S. Judge Katharine H. Parker.

According to the allegations contained in the indictment and complaint, the plea agreement, and other public filings and statements made in court:

From at least in or about February 2018 through at least in or about March 2023, Omole participated in a criminal enterprise based in Nigeria (the “Enterprise”), which orchestrated various scams to defraud thousands of victims in the United States and elsewhere of more than $12 million in consumer electronics, including smartphones, smartwatches, laptops, and tablets, among other items. The scams perpetrated by the members of the Enterprise included (i) romance scams, in which Enterprise members sent electronic communications to victims feigning romantic intentions, gained their trust and affection, and took advantage of that goodwill to induce victims into sending consumer electronics and other money or property to Omole; (ii) online marketplace scams, in which Enterprise members sent electronic communications to victims feigning interest in buying consumer electronics, falsely represented to the victim that the items had been paid for, and instructed the victim to send the consumer electronics to Omole; and (iii) employment scams, in which Enterprise members posted phony jobs online and informed unwitting victims that they were hired before instructing victims to send electronics to OMOLE under the guise that those electronics were needed for the job (together, the “Fraudulent Electronics Scams”).

READ ALSO:

During the relevant time period, Omole owned and operated a business corporation which claimed to be a distributor, re-seller, and supplier of satellite communications equipment. In reality, however, Tobylink served as a vehicle through which OMOLE received thousands of fraudulently obtained goods from victims of the Enterprise before repackaging and shipping those items to various co-conspirators located in Nigeria. During his participation in the conspiracy, OMOLE received and sent more than $12 million in consumer electronics and other items to other members of the Enterprise, in exchange for the equivalent of hundreds of thousands of U.S. dollars in fees that OMOLE charged other Enterprise members.

OMOLE, 57, of Sugar Land, Texas, pled guilty to one count of conspiracy to commit wire fraud, which carries a maximum sentence of 20 years in prison. As part of his plea agreement, OMOLE agreed to pay restitution in an amount to be ordered by the Court and to forfeit an amount of U.S. currency to be ordered by the Court, as well as various consumer electronics and other goods seized by law enforcement.

The maximum potential sentence in this case is prescribed by Congress and is provided here for informational purposes only, as any sentencing of the defendant will be determined by a judge. OMOLE’s sentencing is scheduled for July 30, 2024, before U.S. District Judge Jesse M. Furman.

Mr. Williams praised the work of the Federal Bureau of Investigation. Mr. Williams also thanked Homeland Security Investigations for their assistance with the investigation.

The prosecution of this case is being handled by the Office’s General Crimes Unit. Assistant U.S. Attorney Jerry J. Fang is in charge of the prosecution.”

Source: United States Attorney’s Office, Southern District of New York.

Nigerian man faces 20-year imprisonment in US over fraud, after pleading guilty

Continue Reading

News

Reno Omokri to Obidients: Name one school Peter Obi initiated as Anambra gov

Published

on

Reno Omokri, Peter Obi

Reno Omokri to Obidients: Name one school Peter Obi initiated as Anambra gov

Controversial social commentator, Reno Omokri has challenged supporters of former Anambra governor, Peter Obi (Obidents) to name one school the Labour Party 2023 Presidential candidate established during his time as governor.

He argued that “the chairman of Eti-Osa local government area in Lagos state has more achievements in governance than Peter Obi.”

“I know for a fact that the Eti-Osa local government chairman has built at least, to my knowledge, three schools,” Omokri affirmed.

He also issued a challenge to supporters of Obi, urging them to identify a school constructed during Obi’s eight-year tenure as governor of the Southeastern state.

Omokri said: “I am giving a challenge. I will give any (Obidient) $10,000 if they can name one school that Peter Obi started, completed and commissioned while he was governor.”

Reno Omokri to Obidients: Name one school Peter Obi initiated as Anambra gov

Continue Reading

Trending

Skip to content