Only Liverpool to blame for Nottingham Forest defeat, Klopp says - Newstrends
Connect with us

Sports

Only Liverpool to blame for Nottingham Forest defeat, Klopp says

Published

on

Jurgen Klopp

Club manager Jurgen Klopp insisted on Saturday that Liverpool only have themselves to blame after a shock defeat at Nottingham Forest.

Taiwo Awoniyi’s winner stunned the visitors as Nottingham Forest climbed off the bottom of the 2022/2023 EPL.

The striker never played for Liverpool in six years at Anfield and was loaned out seven times before joining Union Berlin last year.

Liverpool remain seventh having failed to build on last week’s 1-0 win over Manchester City and are yet to win away in the league this season.

“Who can be blamed for not finishing the situations off? There are not a lot of people out there, it’s just us,” said Klopp, who was without Thiago after he woke up with an ear infection.

“That’s why you have to feel it. It’s a big blow for us because we wanted to get the three points.

“I can’t explain the result, not really. This game was decided in six or seven situations, the set-pieces they used and the set-pieces we didn’t use. It was a difficult game.

“They are not in a great situation and it was a super intense week for us, we had to change (the team) late. We had to put in a big fight and the boys did.

READ ALSO:

“It was intense, six days, three games and a limited squad. I really thought we made a real fight of it.

“We were lacking runs in behind, vision in the centre and we didn’t create that much.”

Nottingham Forest’s forward Jesse Lingard shot at goalkeeper Alisson.

Also, defender Virgil van Dijk wasted Liverpool’s best chance of an instantly forgettable first half when he tried to tee up Roberto Firmino.

The hosts would have been the happier having maintained their shape and work rate to frustrate Liverpool and they grabbed the winner 10 minutes into the second half.

It came from a free-kick when Awoniyi was fouled having robbed Joe Gomez and Morgan Gibbs-White’s delivery found Steve Cook.

The defender’s cross was turned against the post by Ryan Yates and Awoniyi followed up from close range.

Goalkeeper Dean Henderson saved Harvey Elliott’s effort as Liverpool responded before James Milner deflected Gibbs-White’s strike over as the game came to life.

Alisson denied Brennan Johnson – who hit the post with the last kick of the game – before brilliantly saving from Yates.

Also, Henderson produced a superb stop in injury time to keep out Van Dijk’s header.

Afterwards, Nottingham Forest manager Steve Cooper said: “It’s a brilliant win. To get a win against Liverpool you have to play well and have big moments.

“We’ve been on a poor run but it’s a great win. We still haven’t got the points tally we would have hoped to have by now.

“Hopefully it’s the start of a turn and we’re in control of that.

“It’s a positive result we needed. It’s only a win, we’re nowhere near the league position we want to be in but it’s given us a good reference point.

“We don’t just want it to be words.

“Going forward, if the players or I may have any doubts with ourselves and each other, we can use today to show we belong at this level.

“It was an improvement. The mentality has to be to get back into the training ground and work even harder. Any sign of complacency we’ll be right on it.”

dpa/NAN.

Sports

Galatasaray Stun Juventus 5–2 in UEFA Champions League

Published

on

Victor Osimhen
Victor Osimhen

Galatasaray Stun Juventus 5–2 in UEFA Champions League 

Galatasaray delivered a remarkable comeback to defeat Juventus 5–2 in the Champions League knockout playoff first leg at Rams Park, Istanbul, giving the Turkish side a commanding three-goal advantage ahead of the second leg in Turin on 25 February 2026. The match was a thrilling spectacle of attacking brilliance, defensive lapses, and key disciplinary moments that turned the game in favor of the hosts.

Juventus initially took the lead after Gabriel Sara opened the scoring for Galatasaray in the 15th minute, only for Teun Koopmeiners to equalize immediately and then score again in the 32nd minute, giving the Italian side a 2–1 advantage at halftime. The Serie A giants appeared in control, but the second half saw Galatasaray shift momentum dramatically.

Just minutes into the second half, Noa Lang scored to level the game at 2–2, followed by Davinson Sánchez heading in a set-piece goal in the 60th minute to give Galatasaray the lead. Juventus’ hopes were further dented when Juan Cabal, a second-half substitute, was shown a second yellow card in the 67th minute, reducing the visitors to 10 men and giving Galatasaray a clear numerical advantage.

READ ALSO:

Exploiting their superiority, Noa Lang netted his second goal of the evening in the 74th minute, and Sacha Boey sealed the emphatic 5–2 victory with a late strike in the 86th minute, completing one of Galatasaray’s most memorable Champions League performances in recent years.

The win marks a historic European night for Galatasaray, boosting confidence and positioning the Turkish side strongly for progression to the round of 16. Juventus, meanwhile, faces a challenging second leg in Turin, needing a near-perfect performance to overturn the three-goal deficit.

The match showcased Galatasaray’s attacking prowess, tactical discipline, and resilience, highlighting their ability to exploit opportunities and capitalize on numerical advantage while keeping pressure on a historically dominant European side.

Galatasaray Stun Juventus 5–2 in UEFA Champions League

Continue Reading

Sports

Vinicius Jr’s Wonder Goal Gives Real Madrid Victory Over Benfica

Published

on

Vinicius Jr
Vinicius Jr

Vinicius Jr’s Wonder Goal Gives Real Madrid Victory Over Benfica

Vinicius Jr scored a stunning match-winning goal to secure Real Madrid’s 1–0 victory over SL Benfica in the UEFA Champions League play-off first leg at Estádio da Luz in Lisbon on Tuesday. The Brazilian winger’s brilliance, however, was overshadowed by a racism controversy that marred the game.

The decisive moment came five minutes into the second half when Vinicius Jr curled a magnificent strike into the top corner, breaking the deadlock against a resilient Benfica defence. The goal put Real Madrid in a strong position ahead of the return leg in Madrid next week.

The celebrations quickly sparked tension when Vinicius ran toward the Benfica supporters after scoring. According to reports, Gianluca Prestianni, an Argentinian winger for Benfica, allegedly directed a racial slur at Vinicius. The referee, François Letexier, paused the game for about 10 minutes under UEFA’s anti-racism protocol as players and coaches conferred on the field. (goal.com)

READ ALSO:

Television footage showed Prestianni covering his mouth while speaking to Vinicius, which many interpreted as an attempt to conceal a racist comment. Real Madrid players, including Kylian Mbappé, confronted the Benfica player, calling for disciplinary action. Mbappé later said Prestianni “doesn’t deserve to be in the Champions League.”

The crowd reacted with hostility toward Vinicius, frequently booing him and even throwing objects on the pitch. Defender Trent Alexander-Arnold described the alleged abuse as “a disgrace to football,” reflecting widespread frustration over persistent racism in European competitions.

Vinicius responded strongly on social media, calling the abusers “cowards” and emphasising that racism remains a serious issue in football. He urged stronger measures to protect players and ensure zero tolerance for racial discrimination.

Benfica manager José Mourinho defended his club, insisting Benfica is not racist and pointing to its history of diversity and iconic Black players. Mourinho acknowledged the tension around Vinicius’s goal celebration but urged players and fans to exercise restraint.

Despite the off-field drama, Real Madrid emerged victorious thanks to Vinicius Jr’s technical brilliance, taking a crucial advantage into the second leg. The match will be remembered both for the goal of the night and the alleged racial incident, which continues to spark debate across football communities.

Vinicius Jr’s Wonder Goal Gives Real Madrid Victory Over Benfica

Continue Reading

Sports

X Restored After Global Outage Disrupts Millions Worldwide

Published

on

X-logo

X Restored After Global Outage Disrupts Millions Worldwide

The social media platform X, formerly known as Twitter, has been fully restored after a global outage that left millions of users unable to access the service across several countries on Monday.

The disruption, which began earlier in the day, affected users in the United States, United Kingdom, Nigeria, India, and parts of Europe and Asia, with widespread complaints of blank timelines, login failures, error messages, and inability to post or refresh feeds. Both the mobile application and web version of the platform were impacted.

Online outage-tracking platforms recorded a sharp spike in user complaints, confirming that the issue was global rather than country-specific. Many users reported seeing messages such as “Something went wrong” while attempting to access their accounts.

After roughly two hours of downtime, services were gradually restored, with users regaining access to timelines, posts, messages, and other core features. By mid-afternoon GMT, functionality had largely returned to normal worldwide.

READ ALSO:

While the platform confirmed restoration through improved service performance, X did not issue an official explanation for the outage. There was also no immediate public statement from the company’s owner, Elon Musk, regarding the cause of the disruption.

Industry observers described the incident as an international technical failure, stressing that it was not linked to government restrictions or localized internet shutdowns. The outage adds to a growing list of service disruptions experienced by the platform in recent months, raising renewed concerns about platform stability and infrastructure resilience.

X remains one of the world’s most influential social media platforms, widely used for breaking news, public discourse, business communication, and real-time updates, making the outage particularly disruptive for users and organizations that rely on it for timely information.

X Restored After Global Outage Disrupts Millions Worldwide

Continue Reading
HostArmada Affordable Cloud SSD Shared Hosting
HostArmada - Affordable Cloud SSD Web Hosting

Trending