Governor Alex Otti of Abia
Otti activates diplomatic moves for Nnamdi Kanu’s release after life sentence
Abia State Governor, Dr. Alex Otti, has assured citizens that diplomatic efforts to secure the release of Mazi Nnamdi Kanu, leader of the Indigenous People of Biafra (IPOB), have been fully activated, insisting that Thursday’s Federal High Court judgment is “not yet the end of the road.”
Kanu was on November 20, 2025, convicted of terrorism-related offences and sentenced to life imprisonment by a Federal High Court in Abuja—a development Otti described as a devastating blow to Abia State and the entire Southeast.
In a statement issued on Friday, the governor said the ruling had “broken a lot of our people,” but stressed that a political and diplomatic mechanism earlier agreed with the Federal Government would now come into effect following the conclusion of the court proceedings.
Otti explained that he has consistently advocated dialogue as the most effective way to address the IPOB issue, recalling his strong condemnation of the 2017 military invasion of Kanu’s Afaraukwu home in Umuahia. In his ThisDay column titled “Operation Python Dance: Killing a Fly with a Sledgehammer,” he had warned that forceful tactics would escalate tensions rather than restore peace.
READ ALSO:
He emphasized that the poor handling of the IPOB matter “at the incubation stage” contributed to the current crisis, stressing that leadership must be guided by emotional intelligence, restraint, and tolerance.
The governor revealed that since December 22, 2023, he has engaged top federal officials to explore a diplomatic solution to Kanu’s case. He said some agreements were reached at the time, but they depended on the prompt conclusion of Kanu’s trial. With judgment now delivered, he expressed confidence that the alternative resolution strategy would begin immediately.
Otti added that he personally discussed the plan with Nnamdi Kanu during a visit to him in DSS custody earlier in the year, reaffirming his commitment to pursuing the agreed strategy until Kanu regains freedom.
He called on residents to remain calm and avoid any statements or actions that could inflame tensions or hinder ongoing talks with the Federal Government. Otti also cautioned politicians against exploiting Kanu’s ordeal for political gain, urging them to support efforts aimed at achieving a peaceful outcome.
“With the assurances I have received from the Federal Government, a resolution is in sight and Mazi Nnamdi Kanu will receive his freedom,” he said.
Reiterating his stance, Otti reaffirmed his dedication to securing peace and justice in the Southeast through “wisdom, high-level dialogue and diplomacy,” insisting that long-term stability can only be achieved through non-violent engagement.
Police to Arrest TikToker Mirabel After She Recants False Rape Claim The Ogun State Police…
Tinubu Reduces Reliance on U.S, Strengthens Defence Partnerships With Turkey, EU President Bola Tinubu has…
Again, Early Morning Blaze Destroys Dozens of Shops in Kano Market A devastating fire outbreak…
Suspected Terrorists Warn Kebbi Residents: Pay ₦100 Million or Face Attack Fresh tension has gripped…
ICPC Searches El-Rufai’s Abuja Home Amid Multi-Agency Corruption Investigation The Independent Corrupt Practices and Other…
Nigerian Navy Chief of Operations Dies in Egypt The Nigerian Navy has confirmed the passing…