metro
Police kill cultist who murdered Rivers couple, four officers

Police kill cultist who murdered Rivers couple, four officers
The Rivers State Police Command said its agents had neutralised Nkem ThankGod, a renowned cult leader who allegedly killed four police officers and a couple, among other crimes.
According to police, the 42-year-old murder suspect dubbed 2man, who lived in Ogbologbolo Community, Ahoada West Local Government Area of the state, was also linked to the death of a youth leader.
Mustapha Mohammed, the Commissioner of Police, said this during a news briefing on Thursday, when he presented the miscreant’s lifeless body at the command’s offices on Moscow Road in Port Harcourt.
While noting that his crimes included murder, kidnapping, and attacks on oil pipelines and government facilities, Mohammed said the criminal met his demise on Thursday afternoon during an intelligence-led operation while attempting to abduct a target with his gang in the state’s Ahoada East Local Government Area.
The CP revealed that the hoodlum had been on the police’s wanted list since 2021 for a variety of crimes, including the murder of a man and his wife, and that he had been fleeing from one location to another to avoid arrest.
He stated, “Men of the Rivers State Police Command have successfully neutralised a notorious kidnap kingpin and murder suspect, Nkem Thank God, a.k.a. “2man,” aged 42, from Ogbologbolo Community, Ahoada West Local Government Area.
READ ALSO:
- Ataga: Court orders Chidinma Ojukwu’s lawyer to open defence
- He will impregnate all female players, says woman opposing her baby daddy heading football federation
- Messi to kick off new Club World Cup, Neymar faces Madrid [Full draw]
“This individual, a leader of the Greenlander Cult Group, had been responsible for a series of heinous crimes in Ahoada East and Ahoada West LGAs, including killing the youth president of Okogbe Community in Ahoada West LGA, Mr. Christmas Ede, on December 21, 2021.
“He is also responsible for multiple killings in 2024, including two policemen attached to the PMF 48, three civilians (Mr. and Mrs. Rex Kiriki and Mrs. Abigail Victor), and a spare parts dealer after collecting ransom.
“He also murdered two Shell staff members in Okogbe, Ahoada West LGA, and stole their Toyota Hilux.”
Speaking on the attacks on the police personnel, the state police boss said, “Two men shot SP Bello during a rescue operation in 2022 and killed two Rapid Response Team officers in early 2023.
“Kidnapping and carjacking a red Toyota Camry from Dare Shola in October 2024. Orchestrating several kidnappings and extorting ransoms before killing victims.
“He was involved in frequent vandalisation of oil pipelines and government installations in Ahoada West.
“Nkem ThankGod met his end during an intelligence-led operation while attempting another kidnapping. His gang members managed to escape with injuries, and efforts are underway to apprehend them,” the CP disclosed.
He stated that the items collected from him were two AK-47 weapons, five magazines, and 22 rounds of live ammo.
The CP underlined the command’s commitment to protecting the lives and property of state inhabitants, claiming that the police under his supervision will turn the state into a living hell for criminals.
Mohammed, on the other hand, asked the people to provide beneficial information about suspicious activity in their neighbourhood so that the police could respond quickly, stating that the police would continue to fight to dismantle criminal networks.
Police kill cultist who murdered Rivers couple, four officers
metro
After 7-hour gridlock, FG orders immediate reopening of Lagos Independence Bridge

After 7-hour gridlock, FG orders immediate reopening of Lagos Independence Bridge
By Dada Jackson
Many motorists, workers, traders, children and other people were trapped in a gridlock on roads around the Independence Bridge in Lagos for about seven hours due to repair work going on the closed bridge.
A lot of appointments were cancelled, flight missed, productivity at work low due to lateness and sales dwindled as the traffic dragged to the early hours of this morning.
Minister of Works, Senator David Umahi has directed the immediate reopening of the Independence Bridge in Lagos to vehicular traffic.
The minister issued the directive on Wednesday following the massive traffic gridlock that stretched from Lekki through Victoria Island to Falomo Bridge and beyond.
The directive followed the earlier closure of the bridge by the Federal Government for planned maintenance and rehabilitation works.
READ ALSO:
- Protect vulnerable Nigerians, IMF tells Tinubu
- Ex-NYSC DG Tsiga regains freedom after 56 days in captivity
- Notorious bandit leader Bello Turji goes berserk, kills 12 to celebrates Eid
However, the commencement of repairs on Wednesday caused major traffic with Lagos residents spending hours on the road.
The Federal Controller of Works, Lagos, Mrs Olukorede Kesha, confirmed the latest development on Wednesday night.
She expressed the Ministry of Works’ regret for the inconvenience caused to the motoring public by the closure and appealed for their understanding and cooperation
She stated, “Efforts are currently ongoing to ensure palliative works are carried out on the already opened bridge to make it motorable .
“The Ministry hereby express regret for the inconvenience caused to the motoring public by the closure and appealed for their understanding and cooperation.”
The Federal Ministry of Works clarified that the necessary repair works on the bridge would be carried out at a later time
After 7-hour gridlock, FG orders immediate reopening of Lagos Independence Bridge
metro
Protect vulnerable Nigerians, IMF tells Tinubu

Protect vulnerable Nigerians, IMF tells Tinubu
The International Monetary Fund (IMF) has urged the federal government to conduct its economic stabilisation policies with policies that would protect the welfare of most vulnerable Nigerians.
IMF’s Director of Communications, Julie Kozack, made this known during a routine press conference at the IMF headquarters in Washington, adding that it is important that the government engages in financial transfers that would enable vulnerable citizens to support themselves in the current economic reforms.
Newstrends reports that the removal of subsidy from premium motor spirit (PMS) which is one of the recommendations of the IMF has brought untold hardship to Nigerians with inflationary pressures never experienced in the recent past.
Following the removal of subsidy from PMS, the product rose from about N200 per litre to about N1000.
READ ALSO:
- Ex-NYSC DG Tsiga regains freedom after 56 days in captivity
- Notorious bandit leader Bello Turji goes berserk, kills 12 to celebrates Eid
- Uromi killings: Deputy Senate President donates N16m to victims’ families
With a fully deregulated market, fuel prices would now be determined by market forces.
Kozack however acknowledged the challenges many Nigerians faced and stressed the importance of prioritising support for vulnerable households.
“The authorities’ policies to stabilise the economy and promote growth are welcomed.
“However, they must be accompanied by targeted social transfers to support the most vulnerable populations. We recognise the extremely difficult situation that many Nigerians face,” she said.
She said completing the rollout of cash transfers to vulnerable households and improving domestic revenue mobilisation should be key priorities for Nigeria.
Kozack also announced that IMF staff would soon visit Nigeria to prepare for the 2025 Article IV Consultation.
Under Article IV of the IMF’s Articles of Agreement, the IMF conducts annual bilateral discussions with member countries.
As part of this process, a staff team visits the country, gathers economic and financial data, and engages with officials on economic policies and developments.
Protect vulnerable Nigerians, IMF tells Tinubu
metro
Ex-NYSC DG Tsiga regains freedom after 56 days in captivity

Ex-NYSC DG Tsiga regains freedom after 56 days in captivity
Brigadier-General Maharazu Tsiga (rtd) has regained his freedom after spending 56 days in captivity.
Daily Trust had reported how the former Director-General of the National Youth Service Corps (NYSC) was abducted from his hometown in Bakori local government area (LGA) of Katsina state, on February 5, 2025.
He was kidnapped alongside nine other residents.
However, after payment of ransom by his family, his abductors still held him captive for weeks.
There were conflicting figures regarding the ransom paid earlier.
While some claimed the sum of N60m was paid, Daily Trust reliably learnt that the actual money paid for his release is thrice higher than that.
READ ALSO:
- Notorious bandit leader Bello Turji goes berserk, kills 12 to celebrates Eid
- Uromi killings: Deputy Senate President donates N16m to victims’ families
- ‘I’m not broke’, NURTW leader Agbede denies selling Lagos mansion for N420m
A close family member told our correspondent that after receiving the money, the kidnappers kept mum for one week before contacting the family, where they put the general on phone to speak with them.
“The money was taken to them and it was only after one week, that was on Tuesday March 11, that they called and we heard his voice,” the source revealed.
He added that the kidnappers had called though to demand for more money, which he said was not given to them.
“Nothing was actually added and as we speak they are in Zamfara state from where they will take the general to Abuja,” the source said.
A top military source also confirmed Tsiga’s release to Daily Trust. Sources close to the family said he is in good condition.
Ex-NYSC DG Tsiga regains freedom after 56 days in captivity
-
metro2 days ago
BREAKING: Senator Natasha defies restrictions, arrives homecoming rally by helicopter [VIDEO]
-
metro2 days ago
Uromi: Edo residents flee towns over likely reprisal attack, arrest
-
metro2 days ago
Breaking: ‘Cancel your homecoming’ — Police tell Senator Natasha
-
metro3 days ago
How they murdered my Kano-bound passengers in Edo
-
metro1 day ago
Breaking: Tinubu sacks Kyari, appoints Ojulari as new NNPCL GCEO
-
metro3 days ago
‘I was offered N5bn bribe to impeach Fubara’
-
metro2 days ago
Amosun, Adeola engage in verbal attack over project diversion allegation
-
metro3 days ago
Kano Gov Yusuf, Sanusi linked to Eid killings