metro
Reject Nnamdi Kanu’s no-case submission, FG tells court, judge sets date for ruling
Reject Nnamdi Kanu’s no-case submission, FG tells court, judge sets date for ruling
The Federal Government has asked the Federal High Court in Abuja to throw out the no-case submission presented by Nnamdi Kanu, leader of the outlawed Indigenous People of Biafra (IPOB), insisting he should proceed to defend himself against terrorism charges.
During Friday’s proceedings, government counsel Adegboyega Awomolo (SAN) contended that Kanu had made incendiary remarks during a Radio Biafra broadcast, in which he allegedly called for Nigeria’s disintegration and the creation of a separate Biafra nation.
Awomolo argued before Justice James Omotosho that the statements made by Kanu were not mere rhetoric but were meant to instill fear among the populace and posed a serious threat to national security.
He told the court, “The defendant made a broadcast in which he proudly declared himself as the IPOB leader, even though he knew that the group had been proscribed. He claimed the world would come to a standstill.”
Awomolo further alleged that Kanu directed attacks on law enforcement, citing the killing of over 170 security personnel in the aftermath of the broadcasts.
READ ALSO:
- Varsity lecturer dies during sex romp with student in hotel
- Trump diagnosed with chronic vein condition amid swollen legs
- You can’t spend billions to repair refineries, sell without full audit – ADC tells FG
“The Nigerian law prohibits inciting statements capable of making citizens live in perpetual fear. The threat to destroy Nigeria was not idle talk—it was aimed at creating Biafra, and there are consequences for such statements,” he added.
According to the prosecution, the case against Kanu, which includes a seven-count charge of terrorism, should not be dismissed, as there is sufficient evidence requiring him to open a defence.
On the other side, Kanu’s lead counsel, Kanu Agabi (SAN), maintained that the prosecution had failed to establish a credible case.
He pointed out that none of the five witnesses—who were all operatives of the Department of State Services (DSS)—testified that they were incited to violence by Kanu.
Agabi also criticised the investigative process, saying no investigation was conducted into the controversial statements, nor was any formal report submitted as evidence.
He noted that despite multiple amendments to the charges—eight times in total—there remained no witness claiming to have been provoked into violent action by Kanu’s remarks.
He told the court, “Urging Nigerians to defend themselves is a constitutional right that has also been echoed by prominent Nigerians, including retired General T.Y. Danjuma.”
Agabi also addressed the issue of Kanu’s prolonged detention in solitary confinement, arguing that international law does not permit such isolation for more than 15 days. He urged the court to acquit his client on the grounds that no prima facie case had been established.
Justice Omotosho has adjourned the matter until October 10, when a ruling will be delivered on the no-case submission.
Reject Nnamdi Kanu’s no-case submission, FG tells court, judge sets date for ruling
metro
Residents Flee as Gunmen Launch Fresh Attack on Kwara Community
Residents Flee as Gunmen Launch Fresh Attack on Kwara Community
Barely 24 hours after armed bandits attacked communities in Patigi Local Government Area and Edu Local Government Area, suspected terrorists on Sunday night carried out a fresh attack on Share, the headquarters of Ifelodun Local Government Area, forcing residents to flee for safety.
The attack reportedly occurred around 8:00 pm, when heavily armed gunmen stormed the town and began shooting indiscriminately, throwing the community into panic and confusion. Residents said the sustained gunfire lasted for a prolonged period, prompting many families to abandon their homes and seek refuge in neighbouring areas.
Eyewitnesses, who spoke on condition of anonymity, said the assailants appeared to be on a targeted mission, allegedly searching for specific individuals. One resident claimed the gunmen were looking for a person identified as Zulu Alfa Dako, adding that the attackers entered the town from a nearby axis.
“Kidnappers have entered Share; everyone is running for safety,” a resident said. “They kept shooting endlessly and the whole town was thrown into chaos.”
READ ALSO:
- DSS Probes El-Rufai’s Claim of Toxic Chemical Import by Ribadu
- Senate Explains Why Real-Time E-Transmission Cannot Be Mandatory in 2027 Elections
- Osun PDP Lawmakers Endorse Tinubu for 2027, Back Adeleke Re-Election
Another resident, overwhelmed by fear, said while the attackers targeted some individuals, it was still unclear whether anyone was abducted during the operation.
“The gunmen entered the town and caused havoc by shooting non-stop. I don’t know if anyone has been kidnapped yet,” the resident said.
Efforts to get immediate comments from the Kwara State Police Command spokesperson, SP Adetoun Ejire-Adeyemi, were unsuccessful as of press time.
However, the Kwara State Government later confirmed that the attackers were repelled by security forces. The Special Assistant on Communication to Governor Abdulrahman Abdulrazaq, Ibrahim Abdullateef, said combined security operatives swiftly responded to distress calls and engaged the gunmen.
“Local security sources have reported that bandits that were reportedly attacking Share community, Ifelodun LGA, have been successfully repelled by combined security forces,” Abdullateef said in an update.
He added that the exchange of gunfire lasted for about one hour, noting that no death or abduction has been officially recorded so far, though security agencies are still monitoring the situation.
The latest attack came against the backdrop of rising insecurity in Kwara State, following bandit raids on communities in Edu and Patigi LGAs, where four people were kidnapped and several others injured. The back-to-back attacks have heightened fear among residents and renewed calls for stronger security presence, improved intelligence gathering, and sustained patrols across vulnerable communities.
Residents Flee as Gunmen Launch Fresh Attack on Kwara Community
metro
DSS Probes El-Rufai’s Claim of Toxic Chemical Import by Ribadu
DSS Probes El-Rufai’s Claim of Toxic Chemical Import by Ribadu
Nigeria’s National Security Adviser, Nuhu Ribadu, has formally reported former Kaduna State Governor, Nasir El-Rufai, to the Department of State Services (DSS) over an allegation that the Office of the National Security Adviser (ONSA) imported Thallium Sulphate, a toxic chemical, into Nigeria.
The allegation was referred to the DSS in a letter dated February 13, 2026, written on behalf of Ribadu by Brigadier-General O.M. Adesuyi. The letter acknowledged El-Rufai’s earlier correspondence seeking clarification on claims that ONSA procured about 10 kilograms of Thallium Sulphate, allegedly from a supplier in Poland.
According to the letter, the allegation has been formally handed over to the DSS for a comprehensive investigation, given the grave national security and public safety implications associated with toxic and tightly regulated chemical substances.
Adesuyi stated that El-Rufai and any of his associates with relevant information would be invited by the DSS to submit evidence, documents, or testimonies to support the claim.
READ ALSO:
- Senate Explains Why Real-Time E-Transmission Cannot Be Mandatory in 2027 Elections
- Osun PDP Lawmakers Endorse Tinubu for 2027, Back Adeleke Re-Election
- MACBAN Rejects Terrorism Allegations, Warns Against Stigmatisation
“Your Excellency and other parties involved, who may possess relevant information relating to this claim, will be duly invited by the service to provide any evidence that may assist in an in-depth investigation, establishing the facts and ensuring due diligence,” the letter said.
The NSA, however, categorically denied the allegation, stressing that ONSA has neither procured nor initiated any process for the purchase of Thallium Sulphate and has no intention of doing so.
The controversy began after El-Rufai raised public alarm, accusing Ribadu of importing a dangerous toxic substance into the country. In a letter dated January 30, 2026, El-Rufai said he was writing “as a concerned citizen” to seek clarification over information allegedly available to opposition political leaders regarding the procurement.
He argued that thallium salts are highly poisonous and strictly controlled worldwide, adding that transparency was necessary to protect public trust, democratic accountability, and national safety.
El-Rufai had also claimed during a television interview that the NSA’s phone had been tapped and that Ribadu was listening to his conversations—an allegation that further escalated political tension around the issue.
Security analysts say the DSS probe will be crucial in determining whether the claim has any factual basis or amounts to a false security alarm capable of undermining public confidence and national stability. As of the time of filing this report, the DSS has not issued an official statement, while El-Rufai has yet to publicly respond to the referral of his allegation for investigation.
DSS Probes El-Rufai’s Claim of Toxic Chemical Import by Ribadu
metro
Christian Cleric Builds Mosque in Honour of Tinubu’s Mother
Christian Cleric Builds Mosque in Honour of Tinubu’s Mother
In a development that has sparked widespread conversation across Nigeria’s religious and political space, Primate Elijah Ayodele has built and commissioned a new mosque in Lagos in honour of Chief Abibatu Mogaji, the late mother of President Bola Ahmed Tinubu.
The prominent cleric, who leads the INRI Evangelical Spiritual Church, unveiled the mosque during his annual thanksgiving programme held in Oke-Afa, Isolo, describing the project as a fulfillment of what he called a divine instruction.
According to Ayodele, the decision to construct the mosque was not politically motivated but rooted in spiritual obedience. He stressed that the gesture was not aimed at gaining favour from the presidency or securing political influence, but rather to promote religious harmony and unity in Nigeria. “I built the mosque because God directed me to do so,” the cleric reportedly said at the commissioning ceremony.
READ ALSO:
- Senate Explains Why Real-Time E-Transmission Cannot Be Mandatory in 2027 Elections
- Osun PDP Lawmakers Endorse Tinubu for 2027, Back Adeleke Re-Election
- MACBAN Rejects Terrorism Allegations, Warns Against Stigmatisation
Ayodele explained that the newly completed mosque would be fully handed over to Muslim leaders and the local Islamic community for administration. He stated that neither he nor his church would be involved in its management, reinforcing his claim that the project was purely an act of faith and interreligious goodwill. Originally, the mosque was said to have been planned under a different name, but Ayodele disclosed that he later renamed it in honour of Tinubu’s mother following what he described as further divine direction. Chief Abibatu Mogaji, a respected community leader during her lifetime, remains a significant figure in Lagos political history due to her influence and grassroots mobilisation efforts.
The commissioning event drew attendance from religious leaders, traditional rulers, and political representatives, reflecting the broader significance of the gesture. Observers described the commissioning as a rare example of Christian–Muslim interfaith collaboration, particularly in a country where religious identity often intersects with politics. Supporters say the act underscores the importance of peaceful coexistence and tolerance between faiths, while critics have questioned the timing and broader implications of the move within Nigeria’s political climate.
Nonetheless, Ayodele maintained that the mosque stands as a symbol of unity and obedience to divine guidance, rather than a calculated political gesture. The development has since generated conversations online, with many Nigerians debating its spiritual, social and political dimensions.
Christian Cleric Builds Mosque in Honour of Tinubu’s Mother
-
Education20 hours agoCheck Your Name: UNILORIN Releases Updated NELFUND Refund List for 2024/2025 Students
-
News11 hours agoOsogbo Sons and Daughters Mark 5th Anniversary with Awards, Political Undertones
-
metro3 days agoLagos Police Launch Manhunt for Suspect in Brutal Ajah Murder
-
News3 days agoAso Rock Goes Solar as Tinubu Orders National Grid Disconnection
-
metro2 days agoWoman Arrested Over Murder of Nigerian E-Hailing Driver in South Africa
-
metro2 days agoBoko Haram Terrorists Release Video of 176 Abducted Kwara Residents
-
News22 hours agoAfenifere Calls for Immediate Take-Off of State Police as Terror Threats Rise in Yorubaland
-
Sports3 days agoLookman Shines as Atlético Madrid Hammer Barcelona 4-0


