South African ‘Facebook rapist’ arrested in Tanzania – Newstrends
Connect with us

metro

South African ‘Facebook rapist’ arrested in Tanzania

Published

on

South African ‘Facebook rapist’ arrested in Tanzania

A rapist and murderer, Thabo Bester who escaped a South African prison by faking his own death has been nabbed in Tanzania.

Bester was at large for a year after it was believed he died by setting himself ablaze in his prison cell, BBC said on Saturday.

A manhunt was launched in March following a new post-mortem investigation that exposed the body was not actually his.

Bester was caught on Friday with his girlfriend and a third suspect and will be repatriated to South Africa.

Police said they believe the trio were intending to flee into neighbouring Kenya.

Bester is known as the “Facebook rapist” for using the social networking site to lure his victims.

READ ALSO:

He was convicted in 2012 for the rape and murder of his model girlfriend Nomfundo Tyhulu. A year earlier, he was found guilty of raping and robbing two other women.

In May, it was reported he had been found dead in his cell after apparently setting himself on fire at the Mangaung Correctional Centre in the city of Bloemfontein.

However, local media began to raise doubts about Bester’s death late last year.

In March, police ordered a probe into his purported murder and further tests revealed the deceased was not Bester – and that the unidentified person had died from blunt-force trauma to the head.

Employees of the British-owned security company G4S, which ran the prison where he was held, have been accused of helping him escape.

It has said three employees were dismissed in connection with the incident.

Earlier this week, representatives for the organisation failed to attend a meeting in parliament about Bester’s escape. The BBC has approached G4S for comment.

There’ve been many reported sightings of Bester over the past year, including claims he was grocery shopping in an affluent suburb of Johannesburg, and was living in a rented mansion there.

Bester’s escape sparked outrage in South Africa, which has one of the highest rates of sexual assault in the world.

South African ‘Facebook rapist’ arrested in Tanzania

metro

Suspected Boko Haram insurgents abduct judge, wife, others in Borno

Published

on

Police Public Relations Officer in Borno, ASP Kenneth Daso

Suspected Boko Haram insurgents abduct judge, wife, others in Borno

On Monday afternoon, suspected Boko Haram terrorists abducted Justice Haruna Mshelia, a High Court judge, along with his wife, driver, and orderly on the Damaturu-Kamiya-Buratai-Buni-Gari Road in Borno State.

Justice Mshelia was returning to Maiduguri, where he serves at the Borno State High Court, when the incident occurred.

Sources indicate that armed men intercepted the judge’s vehicle by emerging from the bush and blocking the road. Despite an attempt to escape, the vehicle was stopped by another group of insurgents. The abductees were then taken into the notorious Sambisa Forest, a known Boko Haram stronghold.

This route is the sole connection between southern Borno and other parts of the state, making it a vulnerable target for such attacks.

READ ALSO:

Unfortunately, incidents like this are all too common in the region. Recently, a Boko Haram ambush on military vehicles resulted in the death of a lieutenant and injuries to other soldiers.

The Borno State Police Command has confirmed the abduction. ASP Nahum Daso, the state’s police spokesman, reported receiving information about the incident from Sani Audu through the Divisional Officer of Biu.

Despite no contact with the terrorists yet, police are implementing all necessary security measures to ensure the safe rescue of Justice Mshelia, his wife, driver, and orderly.

The community remains on edge as security forces intensify efforts to combat the persistent threat posed by Boko Haram in the region.

Suspected Boko Haram insurgents abduct judge, wife, others in Borno

Continue Reading

metro

JUST IN: Customs officer dies at Reps committee hearing

Published

on

JUST IN: Customs officer dies at Reps committee hearing

A senior Customs officer appearing before the House Committee on Public Accounts developed health complications on Monday, June 25, and died at the National Assembly clinic.

The official, whose name could not be identified immediately, was rushed to the National Assembly clinic where first aid responders were said to have attended to him, but could not survive.

The spokesman of the House, Akintunde Rotimi, confirmed the development but said the name of the Customs officer was being kept confidential as a sign of respect for his family.

Rotimi in the statement said: “It is with deep sadness and regret that we confirm the passing of an esteemed official of the Nigeria Customs Service who was at the National Assembly for an engagement with a House Committee.

“During the engagement, which occurred around 1.00 pm on Tuesday, June 25, 2024, the official developed sudden health complications. Despite the immediate and diligent efforts of first responders and medical personnel at the National Assembly Clinic, he unfortunately passed away.

READ ALSO:

“Out of respect for the family, the official’s name will not be disclosed at this time.

“The House of Representatives extends its heartfelt condolences to the family, friends, and colleagues of the deceased during this difficult time. We recognize the significant contributions he made to the Nigeria Customs Service and our nation.

“The House of Representatives stands ready to support efforts to understand the circumstances surrounding the incident and is cooperating fully with all relevant authorities to ensure all necessary protocols are followed.

“The speaker of the House, Rt. Hon. Abbas Tajudeen, PhD., expressed his condolences, stating, “We are deeply saddened by the sudden loss of a dedicated public servant. Our hearts go out to his family during this difficult time.”

He said further information will be provided as it becomes available while asking for patience and respect for the privacy of the family during this period of mourning.

JUST IN: Customs officer dies at Reps committee hearing

Continue Reading

metro

Seven die in Lagos-Ibadan Expressway auto crash

Published

on

An accident scene File Photo

Seven die in Lagos-Ibadan Expressway auto crash

At least seven people have lost their lives in a fatal road accident on the busy Lagos-Ibadan expressway.

Eleven other persons suffered varying degrees of injuries in the auto crash that happened on Monday night at about 9:33pm in the Ogere axis of the highway.

The accident, which was said to have been caused by over speeding, involved a Mazda bus with registration number MNY894 and a truck with no number plate.

The Mazda bus, due to excessive speed reportedly lost control and crashed into the truck from behind.

The Spokesperson of Ogun State Sector Command of Federal Road Safety Corps, Florence Okpe, confirmed the development on Tuesday.

In a statement made available to journalists, Okpe disclosed that the injured were taken to PATMAG Hospital Ogere for medical attention.

He added that the corpses of the dead were deposited at FOS morgue Ipara.

READ ALSO:

The statement partly reads “The crash occurred at 2133 hrs last night with a total of 18 persons involved which comprised 15 male adult and 03 female adult.

“A total of 11 people were injured (09 male adult and 02 female adult) while 07 Persons were recorded dead from the crash. 05 male and 02 female.

“Vehicle involved 02 a truck with no registration number and a Mazda bus MNY894 YN”.

“The suspected cause of the crash was excessive speed on the part of the Mazda bus driver who rammed a moving truck from the rear.

“The injured victims were taken to PATMAG Hospital Ogere for medical attention while the corpses were deposited at FOS morgue Ipara”

The Ogun FRSC Sector Commander, Anthony Uga, has cautioned motorists to stick to the speed limit especially at night and during the rain due to poor visibility.

Uga who sympathised with the family of the crash victims advised passengers to always be on alert and call the drivers to order when driving against the traffic laws

He urged them to always call 122 toll-free number to report such reckless drivers

Seven die in Lagos-Ibadan Expressway auto crash

Continue Reading

Trending