Connect with us

News

Sunday Igboho: Expect good news soon, says Ilana Oodua

Published

on

Sunday Igboho

The umbrella body of the Yoruba Self-Determination Groups, Ilana Omo Oodua, has asked Yoruba Nation agitators that a good news will soon be announced on issues concerning the detention of Yoruba rights activist, Sunday Adeyemo, fondly called Igboho in Benin Republic.

According to the group, underground efforts are ongoing to get the activist freed.

The spokesperson for the group, Maxwell Adeleye, in an interview with The PUNCH on Monday, explained that Igboho was not abandoned.

He also asked Yoruba people to be confident, saying that a favourable outcome should be expected.

When asked about an update on the detention of Igboho in Benin Republic, he said, “Expect good news soon. Yes, expect good news very soon.”

The Soka, Ibadan, Oyo State, Nigeria, home of the pro-Yoruba self-determination activist was invaded by men from DSS about 1:30 am on July 1, 2021, leading to the arrest of 12 of his aides, while Igboho managed to escape arrest.

The 48-year-old activist was arrested by the International Criminal Police Organisation at the Cadjèhoun Airport in Cotonou, Republic of Benin alongside his wife Ropo, on their way to Germany.

His wife has been released but Igboho is currently in a detention facility in Benin Republic.

Recently, Igboho asked his supporters not to stage demonstrations in his name “for the time being”.

While awaiting to be freed ion Benin Republic, Justice Ladiran Akintola of Oyo State High Court had declared the raid conducted by the Department of State Service on the residence of Igboho, in Ibadan as illegal.

The court also ordered DSS to pay N20 billion to Igboho as exemplary and aggravated damages.

Akintola described DSS’ action as “arbitrary aggression and prejudices” against Igboho.

Following the raid, Igboho sued the Federal Government and demanded damages.

Igboho asked the court to order the respondents to jointly pay him the sum ₦500 million as special damages for the damage done to his house and his car and another ₦500 billion as exemplary and aggravated damages for beaching his fundamental rights with the malicious invasion of his house as well as an order directing the Federal Government and the other respondents to tender a public apology in two national dailies.

Igboho filed the application, through his lawyer, Yomi Alliyu, to enforce his fundamental human rights, pursuant to Sections 33-46 of the 1999 Constitution as amended and relevant articles of the African Charter on Human and Peoples Rights.

Igboho also sought an order of the court directing the respondents to return all the items seized from the house.

He listed the items to include, N2 million cash, one thousand Euros, travel documents including international passports belonging to him and his family members, gold jewelry and wristwatches, 2 mobile phones, and other items yet unknown but which were allegedly carted away by the SSS

Sodiq Oyeleke

News

ASUU will no go on strike under my administration, says Atiku

Published

on

Presidential candidate of the Peoples Democratic Party, Atiku Abubakar, says the Academic Staff Union of Universities, will not go on strike if he is elected as Nigeria’s president.

He stated this at the commemoration of the 2022 International Youth Day in Abuja on Friday.

ASUU has been on strike since February 14 due to the inability of the Federal Government to honour their 2009 agreement.

Atiku, who disclosed that he had been investing in education for 30 years, noted that the most important and fundamental right of any youth is the right to education.

He said, “Therefore, I take very strong exception to the strike by ASUU. The inability of the government to resolve that crisis will never happen under a PDP government or administration that I will oversee.

“I have been investing in education for the past 30 years.”

The former Vice President promised to work with the university authorities to bring an end the incessant strike.

“I believe the PDP provides the best platform for you to actualise your individual, collective aspirations,” he said.

 

 

Continue Reading

Education

1,500 Nigerian students from Ukraine to resume at Igbinedion varsity

Published

on

Nigerian students from Ukraine

Another set of 1,500 Nigerian students displaced by the Russian invasion in Ukraine is set to commence their studies at the Igbinedion University, Okada in Edo State by September 2022.

The development came as a result of a partnership agreement signed by the Ivano Frankivsk National Technical University of Oil and Gas with the management of the Igbinedion University.

The Nation had earlier reported that a Ukrainian university, the V.N. Karazin Kharkiv National University, had signed an agreement with the Igbinedion University to help 2, 500 displaced Nigerian students continue their studies in Nigeria.

According to a statement by the representative of the Ukrainian University in Nigeria, Cliff Ogbede, the cooperation was made under the National Universities Commission trans-educational guidelines.

This was confirmed by the Deputy Executive Secretary of the NUC, Dr. Suleiman Ramon-Yusuf.

READ ALSO:

Providing further details, Ogbede noted that the students were about 1,500 and would resume by September.

The statement reads: “The students are about 1,500 and they will be back by September.

“In their quest to return students who were displaced by the war in Ukraine to class, another top-rated Ukrainian academic institution—Ivano Frankivsk National Technical University of Oil and Gas—has equally signed a cooperation agreement with the Igbinedion University, Okada.

“This cooperation will enable their students who were displaced by the war in Ukraine to resume classroom lectures at the Igbinedion University campus on a joint educational programme, under the Nigerian National Universities Commission Transnational Educational Guidelines.

“The joint Transnational Educational programme will enable the undergraduate and postgraduate students of the Ukrainian Ivano Frankivsk National Technical University of Oil and Gas to continue their academic programme uninterrupted in addition to the existing distance learning mode, as a similar model is applied in particular for the organisation of academic cooperation with universities in Turkey and some other countries.”

The Nation
Continue Reading

News

Resolve Varsity Strike Now, TUC Tells FG

Published

on

TUC President, Festus Osifo

• Says no going back on Labour’s quest for political power in 2023

As concerns mount over the continued closure of the country’s federal universities, the Trade Union Congress (TUC) has demanded immediate action by the federal government to end the dispute with striking university workers and reopen the institutions shut down close to six months now.

The union also said that it will not relent in its resolve to work in concert with the Nigeria Labour Congress (NLC) to support the Labour Party’s quest to win the presidential election in 2023.

Addressing journalists at the end of its National Executive Council meeting held in Abuja yesterday, TUC President, Festus Osifo, expressed dismay over the lingering face-off between federal government and university based unions which has resulted in the complete shut down of the institutions nationwide.

It  also  raised the alarm over detororiating state of security in the country, urging President Muhammadu Buhari to act decisively to prevent a situation where terrorists and bandits will become an occupation force.

In addition, TUC  expressed opposition to the planned privatisation of government-owned hospitals, saying the move will worsen the hardship and sufferings the citizens were going through.

According to Osifo, the school closure was becoming an embarrassment to the country’s image.

“You will agree with me that where there is a will, there is always a way.  Recently the Nigerian government spent about N1.4 billion to buy vehicles and donated to the Government of Niger.

READ ALSO:

“The kind of profligacy we have in government is too much. If government is serious, I can tell you that they will resolve this issue of ASUU  within 48 hours.

“So it is not about the finances. How much do we pay today as far as fuel subsidy is concerned? And how much of that money actually gets to the masses. How much of that money is actually spent on us?

“Today if you see what goes through the budget. If you see the different budget heads. So it is a value that is placed on education. The value that is placed on our university system. That is why we are here today,” he said.

On insecurity, TUC said that the federal government should stop lamenting and take decisive action to arrest the dangerous situation.

Usifo further said that TUC x-rayed the poor state of the economy, especially growing expenditure on fuel subsidy.

He said that the union believes that the huge spending on fuel subsidy could be curtailed if the country’s porous borders are blocked.

According to him, a huge amount of money will be saved from curtailing subsidy and it can be used to fix our education sector.

“So this shows that out of the trillions of Naira we spent the subsidy, a substantial part of it ended up in subsidising the entire West Africa Sub-region. If the only thing government can do is to manage the border or secure the border, you are going to reduce the quantity of products  that we consume on a daily basis,” he said.

Thisday

Continue Reading

Trending