International
Texas governor bans Sharia law, says advocates are fools
Texas governor bans Sharia law, says advocates are fools
Governor Greg Abbott has announced a ban on Sharia law and compounds in Texas.
Mr Abbott made this announcement on X, responding to a video of protesters carrying placards in support of Sharia law.
“I signed laws that BAN Sharia Law and Sharia Compounds in Texas,” Mr Abbott said, reacting to the viral video of Sharia law advocates. “No business and no individual should fear fools like this.”
The Texas governor added, “If this person, or ANYONE, attempts to impose Sharia compliance, report it to local law enforcement or the Texas Dept. of Public Safety.”
Houston area Islamic cleric demanding shopkeepers stop selling alcohol, pork, and lottery tickets to comply with Islamic Sharia laws.
Speaking with a megaphone in the video, said, “People should not violate the religion of Islam by selling products that are against our religion. Because we should love what Allah loves and hate what Allah hates.
“We will be visiting all the stores in the neighbourhood where the religion of Islam is ignored.”
Some X users, however, believed there was no need for the ban.
READ ALSO:
- Anguish as floods take over Lagos roads
- A’Ibom community leader shoots sister during argument
- Bandits: Katsina Gov launches EU-funded €5.1m peace initiative
@JPanjehshahi said, “I don’t understand why we need new laws to prevent this. The bill of rights and the constitution is sufficient.”
However, @brucefenton noted that the Texas governor did not specifically mention Sharia or Sharia in any ban sanctioned.
“No. You didn’t. There’s no law you signed that mentions Sharia or Sharia Law,” he stated.
Another commenter, Alexander Duncan, writing via @AlexDuncanTX, said, “Then why did a Collin County Judge in 2021 defer a Muslim woman’s divorce case to a Sharia Court? Why are there Islamic prayer rooms in our airports? Why is there Halal food in Texas Schools? All of this is part of Sharia….”
A declaration was posted on the official X account of the governor’s press office on Monday.
“In Texas, we believe in equal rights under the law for all men, women, & children,” the post stated. “Any legal system that flouts human rights is BANNED in the state of Texas.”
Mr Abbott had earlier condemned a proposed development project ‘EPIC City’ by a local Muslim community in Texas. The proposed ‘city’ envisioned a neighbourhood with a mosque and school at its centre “that brings Islam to the forefront”.
In May this year, the U.S. Department of Justice opened a federal civil rights investigation into the Muslim-centred planned community around one of the state’s largest mosques north of Dallas.
Senator John Cornyn had requested the federal probe in April, citing concerns it could discriminate against Christians and Jews. He announced in a post on X that attorney general Pam Bondi had notified him of the investigation.
In March, the proposed development got the attention of state lawmakers and prompted an investigation by attorney general Ken Paxton.
The planned community could be built on top of 400 acres near Josephine between Collin and Hunt counties. It is described as “a community aimed at serving the needs of the Muslim community”, including 1,000 homes, a K-12 faith-based school, a mosque, apartments, shops, and even a community college.
“The proposed community will never see the light of day,” said Mr Abbott in March.
The developers of the proposed planned community tied to the East Plano Islamic Centre, which has not yet been built, have said they are being bullied because they are Muslims.
Texas governor bans Sharia law, says advocates are fools
International
Trump Halts Minnesota Immigration Crackdown After Fatal Shootings, Protests
Trump Halts Minnesota Immigration Crackdown After Fatal Shootings, Protests
The Trump administration has officially halted Operation Metro Surge, a controversial immigration enforcement operation in Minnesota, following widespread protests, political backlash, and the deaths of two U.S. citizens. The decision was announced by Tom Homan, the U.S. “border czar,” who confirmed that President Donald Trump approved ending the monthslong crackdown.
Operation Metro Surge, launched in December 2025, focused on the Minneapolis–St. Paul metropolitan area, deploying nearly 3,000 federal immigration officers at its peak. The operation aimed to detain undocumented immigrants, which the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) described as targeting “criminal illegal aliens.” However, reports indicate that many detainees had no criminal records, including children and U.S. citizens, raising concerns about the operation’s scope and fairness.
- Army University Professor Dies in Boko Haram Captivity After Nearly One Year
- MURIC Calls Proposed US Sanctions on Nigerian Muslims ‘Lopsided’
- Supreme Court Affirms Muslim Students’ Right to Worship at Rivers State University
The crackdown drew intense public opposition after anti-ICE protesters Renée Good and Alex Pretti were fatally shot during separate incidents in Minneapolis. The shootings intensified calls for accountability and prompted local and national criticism of federal enforcement tactics.
In a statement, Homan said, “I have proposed and President Trump has concurred that this surge operation conclude.” He noted that a drawdown of federal personnel had already begun, with a smaller contingent remaining temporarily to transition operations and coordinate with local authorities.
During the operation, DHS reported over 4,000 arrests, though critics highlighted the disproportionate impact on communities and families, emphasizing the humanitarian and civil liberties concerns arising from the surge.
Minnesota officials, including Governor Tim Walz and Minneapolis Mayor Jacob Frey, welcomed the decision, calling the operation an overreach that harmed communities and strained trust between law enforcement and residents. Civil rights groups also praised the halt but urged comprehensive immigration reforms to prevent future abuses.
The end of Operation Metro Surge marks a significant development in the national debate over immigration enforcement, sanctuary policies, and federal authority, highlighting the challenge of balancing border security with human rights and community safety.
Trump Halts Minnesota Immigration Crackdown After Fatal Shootings, Protests
International
Russia Escalates Digital Control with Attempted WhatsApp Block
Russia Escalates Digital Control with Attempted WhatsApp Block
WhatsApp has accused the Russian government of trying to completely block its messaging service in the country, a move aimed at steering users toward the state-backed app MAX. The Meta-owned platform said the effort, reported on February 12, 2026, threatens over 100 million users and undermines private, encrypted communication in Russia.
In a statement, WhatsApp said: “Today the Russian government attempted to fully block WhatsApp in an effort to drive people to a state-owned surveillance app. Trying to isolate over 100 million users from private and secure communication … can only lead to less safety for people in Russia. We continue to do everything we can to keep users connected.”
READ ALSO:
- Tumbler Ridge Massacre: Canada Investigates Shooter’s Mental Health, Police History
- Ex-Acting AGF Nwabuoku Admits Diverting N868.4 Million to Private Firms
- Kwankwasiyya Urges US Congress to Drop Kwankwaso’s Name from Bill
The attempt is part of a broader crackdown on foreign tech platforms in Russia. Authorities have previously restricted access to Facebook, Instagram, and targeted other services like Telegram. Reports indicate that Roskomnadzor, Russia’s communications regulator, removed WhatsApp from its national internet directory, forcing users to rely on VPNs to access the platform. Critics warn that such measures are designed to expand state surveillance and control over digital communication.
The government is actively promoting MAX, a domestic “super-app” similar to China’s WeChat, which combines messaging with other services. Rights advocates caution that the push toward MAX could compromise privacy protections that platforms like WhatsApp provide. Meanwhile, Kremlin officials have indicated that WhatsApp and other restricted apps could be restored if Meta complies with local data storage and regulatory laws.
WhatsApp’s statement emphasizes that the company will continue to work to keep its service accessible where possible, but the attempted block highlights Russia’s ongoing effort to enforce digital sovereignty and shift users toward state-controlled technology platforms.
Russia Escalates Digital Control with Attempted WhatsApp Block
International
Tumbler Ridge Massacre: Canada Investigates Shooter’s Mental Health, Police History
Tumbler Ridge Massacre: Canada Investigates Shooter’s Mental Health, Police History
Canadian authorities are intensifying investigations into the mental health history and prior police interactions of Jesse Van Rootselaar, the 18-year-old who carried out a deadly mass shooting in the remote mining town of Tumbler Ridge, British Columbia, on February 10, 2026. The tragedy has left the small community in mourning and raised national questions about gun control, mental health support, and law enforcement interventions.
According to RCMP Deputy Commissioner Dwayne McDonald, authorities are still unclear on the motive behind the attack, which is one of the deadliest school shootings in Canadian history. Van Rootselaar, a transgender woman who had dropped out of Tumbler Ridge Secondary School four years ago, first killed her mother and stepbrother before opening fire at the school, where she shot six more victims. The shooter later took her own life at the scene.
Investigators have confirmed that Van Rootselaar was known to police and had previous interactions with the public health system due to mental health concerns. Authorities are reviewing prior incidents, including earlier firearms seizures and her lapsed gun licence, to understand how warning signs were addressed before the massacre. British Columbia Premier David Eby said officials are working with the health system to determine “what interactions may have taken place” in the past.
READ ALSO:
- Ex-Acting AGF Nwabuoku Admits Diverting N868.4 Million to Private Firms
- Kwankwasiyya Urges US Congress to Drop Kwankwaso’s Name from Bill
- Liverpool Edge Sunderland 1-0 to Halt Impressive Home Streak
The victims include a 39-year-old female teacher and five students aged 12 and 13, with one child, 12-year-old Maya Gebala, in critical condition after trying to lock herself and classmates in a library during the attack. First responders arrived within minutes, but the scale of the violence left the tight-knit community of about 2,700 residents reeling. Hundreds gathered for a candlelight vigil to honour those killed and injured.
Prime Minister Mark Carney addressed parliament, describing Tumbler Ridge as a resilient, compassionate community of miners, teachers, and construction workers, and emphasised the need to learn from the tragedy. Flags across Canada have been lowered to half-staff for seven days in remembrance of the victims. Britain’s King Charles and Queen Camilla also expressed shock and sorrow over the massacre.
Schools in the area will remain closed for the remainder of the week as authorities continue their investigation into Van Rootselaar’s mental health background, police interactions, and access to firearms, seeking to understand how similar tragedies can be prevented in the future.
Tumbler Ridge Massacre: Canada Investigates Shooter’s Mental Health, Police History
-
Education20 hours agoCheck Your Name: UNILORIN Releases Updated NELFUND Refund List for 2024/2025 Students
-
News11 hours agoOsogbo Sons and Daughters Mark 5th Anniversary with Awards, Political Undertones
-
metro3 days agoLagos Police Launch Manhunt for Suspect in Brutal Ajah Murder
-
News3 days agoAso Rock Goes Solar as Tinubu Orders National Grid Disconnection
-
metro2 days agoWoman Arrested Over Murder of Nigerian E-Hailing Driver in South Africa
-
metro2 days agoBoko Haram Terrorists Release Video of 176 Abducted Kwara Residents
-
News22 hours agoAfenifere Calls for Immediate Take-Off of State Police as Terror Threats Rise in Yorubaland
-
Sports3 days agoLookman Shines as Atlético Madrid Hammer Barcelona 4-0


