metro
Troops nab another suspect over killing of Dorathy Jonathan, foil attempt to kidnap Bishop
Troops nab another suspect over killing of Dorathy Jonathan, foil attempt to kidnap Bishop
Following the arrest of Lot Dauda who reportedly confessed to have murdered Mrs Dorathy Jonathan at Afana village in Zango Kataf Local Government Area of Kaduna State, troops of Operation SAFE HAVEN (OPSH) have arrested the second murder suspect Abubakar Mato mentioned in the confessional statement.
A statement shared on the verified social media handles of Nigerian Army on Thursday, also said troops thwarted an attempt to kidnap Bishop Paul Zamani of Anglican Diocese at Sambak Gida village in Jaba LGA of Kaduna Sate.
Part of the statement read : “As part of the commitment of Operation SAFE HAVEN to secure communities in its Area of Responsibility, troops of OPSH also thwarted an attempt to kidnap Bishop Paul Zamani of Anglican Diocese at Sambak Gida village in Jaba LGA of Kaduna Sate. Troops swiftly mobilised to the scene after receiving a distress call and exchanged fire with the kidnappers who fled with gunshot wounds.
READ ALSO:
- Senate denies alleged disbursement of N100m to lawmakers
-
BREAKING: Councillors impeach suspended Ijebu East Local Govt boss
-
Court orders mechanic to pay N180,000 maintenance arrears to ex-wife
The Commander Operation SAFE HAVEN, Major General AE Abubakar has thanked the general public for providing credible information leading to the arrest of the suspects and foiling the kidnap attempt. He assured the public that the suspects would be expeditiously charged to court once investigations are concluded.”
Announcing the arrest of Lot Dauda in an earlier statement, the Nigerian Army said :” In line with Commander Operation SAFE HAVEN (OPSH) Major General AE Abubakar resolve to bring all perpetrators of crime to justice in Southern Kaduna and environ, following the stakeholders engagement on 10 September 2023, troops of OPSH have captured the murderer of one Mrs Dorathy Jonathan in Southern Kaduna area of Kaduna State, who was murdered on Friday 1 September 2023 in cold blood while fetching firewood at Afana village in Zango Kataf Local Government Area of the State.
“The murderer, Lot Dauda who confessed to have committed the crime alongside an accomplice (name withheld) now at large, was arrested through a manhunt launched by troops of Operations SAFE HAVEN who acted immediately based on credible intelligence obtained.
“The murderer narrated that he approached Mrs Dorathy while working on a farmland and wanted to get intimate forcefully with the victim who put up a struggle leading to her gruesome murder.Efforts are ongoing to arrest the other accomplice, while the arrested suspect would be charged to court once investigation is completed.”
Troops nab another suspect over killing of Dorathy Jonathan, foil attempt to kidnap Bishop
![]()
metro
US Court Grants Four-Day Extension for Release of Tinubu Drug-Trafficking Records
US Court Grants Four-Day Extension for Release of Tinubu Drug-Trafficking Records
A United States federal prosecutor appointed by President Donald Trump has begun moves to comply with a court order compelling the release of records held by the US Department of Justice (DOJ) , Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) , and Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA) concerning historical drug-trafficking allegations involving Nigerian President Bola Ahmed Tinubu . US Attorney for the District of Columbia Jeanine Pirro requested an additional 10 days to comply with the court’s directive, but US District Judge Beryl Howell granted only a four-day extension, setting August 21, 2026 as the deadline for compliance, noting that the case had already been pending for more than three years.
President Tinubu has formally joined the Department of Justice’s request for additional time in the long-running Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) lawsuit. According to a filing obtained by Von Batten-Montague-York, a Washington-based policy advisory and lobbying firm retained by former Vice President Atiku Abubakar, Tinubu’s legal team submitted a notice of joinder to ensure his response remained on the same schedule as the defendants’. The filing, titled “Notice of Joinder,” was submitted before the United States District Court for the District of Columbia in Aaron Greenspan v. Executive Office for U.S. Attorneys, et al., and identifies Tinubu as “Intervenor Bola Ahmed Tinubu”. The filing was signed by Christopher W. Carmichael of Henderson Parks LLC, but the court rejected the full extension request, maintaining the August 21 deadline. According to the lobbying firm’s clarification of the court’s timetable, the DOJ must by that date tell Judge Howell its position on the demand for the release of the records, while Tinubu also has until August 21 to formally object to their disclosure.
READ ALSO:
- Osun Poll: Fayose Says Federal Might Could Have Swayed Result If Deployed
- NAICOM revokes Universal Insurance licence over ₦15bn capital shortfall
- US indicts 17 Iranians over $20m cyber-theft campaign targeting 322 global institutions
The case was brought by American transparency activist Aaron Greenspan, who filed FOIA requests seeking records from US law enforcement agencies relating to investigations involving Tinubu. The records concern a US federal investigation into a Chicago-based heroin-trafficking network that operated between 1988 and 1991, with US authorities investigating individuals including Adegboyega Mueez Akande and Abiodun Agbele in connection with the network. According to previously released US court records, the investigation examined funds deposited into several US bank accounts reportedly opened or controlled by Tinubu, and in January 1992, US authorities obtained a court order freezing accounts containing more than $1.4 million** allegedly connected to Tinubu. On **October 4, 1993**, the US District Court for the Northern District of Illinois ordered the forfeiture of **$460,000 held in an account at First Heritage Bank in Tinubu’s name to the US government, with the court order stating that the funds constituted proceeds of narcotics trafficking or were involved in financial transactions prohibited under US federal law.
Von Batten-Montague-York, which has been campaigning for the release of the documents, welcomed the development and commended Pirro and the Justice Department for taking steps towards complying with the court’s directive. The firm has argued that US strategic interests with Nigeria should not prevent the release of the records, stating, “As President Trump has indicated, our shared interests with Nigeria do not mean supporting an alleged drug trafficker.” The firm has also alleged that the DOJ under former President Joe Biden fought the release of the FOIA records, while asserting that the DOJ under President Trump would not protect an alleged drug trafficker linked to heroin smuggling from Nigeria through Illinois to Indiana. In July 2026, Von Batten-Montague-York disclosed that it had begun distributing more than 60 pages of DOJ documents and related court materials concerning Tinubu’s 1993 civil forfeiture case to officials in the Trump administration and members of Congress.
President Tinubu has consistently denied wrongdoing and rejected allegations linking him to drug trafficking. His lawyers have maintained that the 1993 proceeding was an in rem civil forfeiture case brought against the money rather than a criminal prosecution against Tinubu personally, and they have emphasised that Tinubu was never arrested, indicted, arraigned, or criminally convicted of a drug-trafficking offence in the United States. The All Progressives Congress (APC) has previously informed the Presidential Election Petition Court that the decision was not against Tinubu but against funds in accounts opened in his name, and that the compromise terms that led to the forfeiture were preceded by express admission that Tinubu did not admit the commission of any drug-related conduct. In April 2025, following Howell’s ruling, presidential spokesman Bayo Onanuga said the court order did not amount to an indictment of Tinubu and that the records related to an old matter, with the distinction between the civil forfeiture and a criminal conviction remaining central to Tinubu’s defence whenever the issue resurfaces.
The development comes as Nigeria approaches the 2027 general elections, in which Tinubu is expected to seek re-election. The issue previously resurfaced during legal challenges to Tinubu’s victory in Nigeria’s 2023 presidential election, when Atiku Abubakar and Labour Party candidate Peter Obi argued that the forfeiture should have affected Tinubu’s eligibility, but Nigeria’s Presidential Election Petition Court dismissed the challenges and affirmed Tinubu’s election. The court’s deadline of August 21, 2026, for compliance with the records disclosure order suggests that the legal proceedings are fast-tracking towards a resolution, though the exact scope and content of the materials to be released remain unclear. Unless Judge Howell requests further information or arguments, the court is expected to regard the arguments as complete after September 18 and proceed to a ruling.
US Court Grants Four-Day Extension for Release of Tinubu Drug-Trafficking Records
![]()
metro
Police Nab 49-Year-Old With Pump-Action Rifle, 50 Ammunition Rounds In Anambra
Police Nab 49-Year-Old With Pump-Action Rifle, 50 Ammunition Rounds In Anambra
The Anambra State Police Command has arrested a 49-year-old man, Chima Ogumba, after recovering a pump-action gun and 50 live cartridges from his possession during an intelligence-led operation along Nkpor Road in the Idemili North Local Government Area. The arrest, which took place on Monday, August 17, 2026, was carried out by operatives of the Rapid Response Squad, Awkuzu, following credible intelligence about suspicious movements in the area, and upon searching the suspect, the firearm and ammunition were discovered.
According to the command’s spokesperson, SP Tochukwu Ikenga, the suspect could not provide a satisfactory explanation for why he was carrying the weapons, and he has since been taken into custody as investigations continue. The Commissioner of Police in the state, CP Nnanna Oji Ama, has ordered a comprehensive investigation to uncover the source of the recovered items and to determine whether Ogumba has any links to armed robbery, cultism, or other criminal activities within the state and beyond.
READ ALSO:
- WMotors takes Jetour Africa Expedition to Lagos, Puts SUVs to Off-Road Test
- ‘No Electoral Agreement with ADC’ – Adeleke Rejects Collaboration Claims, Credits God
- Trump Declares Strait of Hormuz ‘New US Territory’ on Truth Social as Iran Vows to Keep Waterway Closed
SP Ikenga further stated that the Command remains committed to proactive policing and sustained tactical operations aimed at identifying and dismantling criminal networks across Anambra State. This latest arrest is part of the police command’s ongoing efforts to curb the proliferation of illegal firearms and curb gun violence in the South-East region, and residents have been urged to remain vigilant and report suspicious activities to law enforcement agencies.
Police Nab 49-Year-Old With Pump-Action Rifle, 50 Ammunition Rounds In Anambra
![]()
metro
Zamfara: Troops rescue seven women, children from terrorists
Zamfara: Troops rescue seven women, children from terrorists
Troops of the Joint Task Force North West, Operation FANSAN YAMMA, have foiled separate terrorist abduction attempts in Zamfara State, rescuing civilians and neutralising an improvised explosive device (IED) planted along a major road.
The operations, conducted on August 17, 2026, occurred at different locations in the state as security forces intensified efforts to protect civilians, secure major roads and disrupt the activities of terrorist groups in Zamfara.
The Media Information Officer of the Joint Task Force North West, Operation FANSAN YAMMA, Lieutenant Colonel Aliyu Danja, disclosed the development in a statement issued on August 17.
Danja said troops of Sector 2 responded to an abduction incident along the Gurusu–Anka Road after receiving information about the attack.
According to him, the troops pursued the terrorists, forcing them to abandon their captives and flee into the surrounding area.
The military officer said the operation resulted in the rescue of seven victims comprising four women and three children.
He added that all seven victims were rescued unharmed.
The rescue came amid continuing security concerns along major roads in Zamfara, where armed groups have repeatedly targeted motorists and passengers.
READ ALSO:
- ‘No Electoral Agreement with ADC’ – Adeleke Rejects Collaboration Claims, Credits God
- Palliative Care, Not Abandonment: Doctor Clears the Air on Ogogo’s Stage-Four Cancer Treatment
- Lagos Pensioners Give Sanwo-Olu 19-Day Ultimatum: Implement Wage Award or Face ‘Mother of All Protests’
In a separate operation around Magazu Village in Tsafe Local Government Area, troops responded to information that terrorists were attempting to abduct motorists.
The troops moved swiftly to the area and engaged the attackers, forcing them to abandon their victims and escape into nearby bushes.
Danja said some of the rescued victims sustained gunshot wounds during the incident and were immediately evacuated to a medical facility for treatment.
The Magazu axis has previously witnessed similar incidents, making the area a major security concern for residents and road users.
Earlier reports indicated that troops of Operation FANSAN YAMMA had rescued 33 passengers abducted by terrorists around the Magazu area after engaging the attackers and forcing them to abandon their victims.
Meanwhile, troops also responded to the discovery of a terrorist-planted IED along the Gurusu–Gwashi Road in Bukkuyum Local Government Area.
The military said the area was immediately secured while an Explosive Ordnance Disposal team was deployed to handle the explosive device.
The team successfully neutralised the IED, preventing potential casualties among soldiers, motorists and other road users.
The discovery highlights the continuing security threat posed by explosive devices along some roads in Zamfara State, particularly routes used by civilians and security personnel.
The latest operations formed part of ongoing efforts by Operation FANSAN YAMMA to maintain security across its Joint Operations Area and prevent terrorists from freely operating in vulnerable communities and along major transportation routes.
Danja said the successful interventions demonstrated the vigilance and responsiveness of troops in protecting civilians, securing communities and keeping major routes safe from terrorist activities.
He said the Theatre Command would continue to maintain pressure on terrorist elements across the Joint Operations Area and deny them the freedom to threaten innocent citizens.
The command also urged members of the public to remain vigilant and provide security agencies with timely and credible information about suspicious movements and activities.
The latest operations underscore the importance of intelligence-led military action in tackling kidnapping and terrorism in Zamfara, particularly along routes that have repeatedly come under attack.
Zamfara: Troops rescue seven women, children from terrorists
![]()
-
Sports2 days agoArsenal thrash Man City 3-0 to win Community Shield
-
metro2 days agoPolice to prosecute Kogi man for allegedly setting wife ablaze
-
metro2 days agoCustoms Names Importers of 399 Pump-Action Rifles, Hands Over Weapons to NSA Office
-
metro2 days agoNDLEA arrests businessman with cocaine, seizes N3.6bn drugs in Lagos
-
metro18 hours agoPalliative Care, Not Abandonment: Doctor Clears the Air on Ogogo’s Stage-Four Cancer Treatment
-
International2 days agoIran’s Army Chief Offers $30,000 Reward for Capturing or Killing US Troops
-
Politics16 hours ago‘No Electoral Agreement with ADC’ – Adeleke Rejects Collaboration Claims, Credits God
-
metro2 days agoOsun Woman Found Dead With Severed Wrist Inside Church
