metro
Two killed in Bauchi hunters, charcoal sellers clash
Two killed in Bauchi hunters, charcoal sellers clash
At least two people have lost their lives after a deadly clash erupted between charcoal dealers and local hunters in Bauchi state.
The violent confrontation happened in Zaranda village, Toro Local Government Area of the north east State.
The tragic incident has sparked protests among residents of the village who blocked the Bauchi – Jos Federal highway disrupting free flow of movement.
It is gathered that the victims, who were engaged in charcoal business, were killed by the hunters because they refused to ‘settle’ them as they tried to move their charcoal from the bush to the village.
A local l, who spoke in confidence with newsmen for security reasons, disclosed that the hunters had demanded the charcoal sellers either pay them a settlement or leave behind the bags of charcoal, a demand that that infuriated the sellers.
He explained that as the altercation escalated, the two individuals tried to leave the scene by force, which reportedly angered the hunters.
According to the source, the hunters opened fire on the victims with their dane guns, hitting them in multiple areas of their bodies, resulting in their immediate death.
READ ALSO:
- Four commercial banks in our country belong to Nigerians – Liberia’s VP
- Gani Adams to Tinubu: Your govt becoming insensitive, unresponsive
- Fufeyin: Bishops says NAFDAC cannot regulate spiritual products – Bishops
The source added that on seeing what happened and to avoid imminent reprisal attacks, the hunters fled the scene to an unknown destination.
However, confirming the incident, Spokesman of the Bauchi Police Command, SP Ahmed Wakil in a statement issued said only one person died in the clash.
According to him, three residents were shot while one of them lost his life following a sporadic shooting of some members of Nigerian Hunters, Forestry and Security Service.
He stated further that the Divisional Police Officer of Toro Division got wind of the incident from a concerned citizen, who reported that angry youths at Zaranda village via Toro LGA, had barricaded the highway road.
The statement reads “This incident led to the serious injury of 35 year old Abubakar Yahaya, 20 year old Hussaini Yunusa and 16 year old Yayangida Hussaini, all from Zaranda Gari village via Toro LGA.
“They were taken to the Primary Health Care Center Zaranda Gari, where unfortunately, Abubakar Yahaya succumbed to his injuries,” Wakil said.
The Spokesman assured that the Command will conduct a thorough investigation and apprehend those responsible for the unprofessional conduct.
“The Commissioner of Police has instructed the Deputy Commissioner of Police In-charge of the Department of Operations to mobilise tactical teams, including the Department of Operation, Rapid Response Squad, Operation Restore Peace, Acpol Toro, and Nabordo Division personnel, to handle the situation professionally, ensuring the road is reopened for commuters and peace is restored in the area,” he added.
Two killed in Bauchi hunters, charcoal sellers clash
metro
Court Adjourns Trial of Ex‑JAMB Registrar Ojerinde, Others
Court Adjourns Trial of Ex‑JAMB Registrar Ojerinde, Others
The Federal High Court in Abuja on Wednesday adjourned the trial of former JAMB Registrar Prof. Dibu Ojerinde, his children, and several corporate entities on charges of official corruption and abuse of office until April 30, 2026.
The matter was before Justice Mohammed Umar, but proceedings could not take place due to the judge’s absence on another official assignment. Consequently, the case was rescheduled for later in April.
Prof. Ojerinde, who previously served as Registrar of the Joint Admissions and Matriculation Board (JAMB), is being prosecuted alongside four of his children — Mary Ojerinde, Olumide Ojerinde, Adebayo Ojerinde, and Oluwaseun Ojerinde — as well as six companies linked to him.
READ ALSO:
- Over 1.5 Million Candidates Registered as JAMB UTME Pin Vending Nears Deadline
- FG Seals Plateau Mine After 37 Killed in Toxic Gas Tragedy
- Troops Kill Five Kidnappers, Rescue Abducted Woman in Plateau
The companies named as co‑defendants in the case, marked FHC/ABJ/CR/119/2023, are: Doyin Ogbohi Petroleum Limited, Cheng Marbles Limited, Sapati International Schools Limited, Trillium Learning Centre Limited, Standout Institutes Limited, and Esli Perfect Security Printers Limited.
The charges were filed by the Independent Corrupt Practices and Other Related Offences Commission (ICPC) and relate to alleged corruption and abuse of office during Prof. Ojerinde’s tenure as JAMB Registrar.
In addition to the current corruption trial, Ojerinde is facing a separate 18‑count charge alleging the diversion of funds during his time as Registrar of the National Examinations Council (NECO) and later at JAMB. That matter is before a sister Federal High Court, presided over by Justice Obiora Egwuatu, and is scheduled to resume on March 25, 2026.
Legal experts say the multiplicity of charges reflects increased enforcement efforts by anti‑corruption agencies against high‑profile public officials accused of financial misconduct. Ojerinde’s legal team had sought additional time to prepare their defence, a request accommodated by the court’s adjournment.
The adjournment comes amid heightened public interest in accountability within Nigeria’s public institutions, particularly concerning the management of examination bodies and the oversight of funds in federally funded agencies.
Observers note that the outcome of the Ojerinde trials could set an important precedent for prosecuting alleged financial crimes by senior public servants, especially where family members and associated businesses are implicated.
Court Adjourns Trial of Ex‑JAMB Registrar Ojerinde, Others
metro
Troops Kill Five Kidnappers, Rescue Abducted Woman in Plateau
Troops Kill Five Kidnappers, Rescue Abducted Woman
Troops of Operation Enduring Peace (OPEP) have successfully neutralised five suspected kidnappers and rescued a woman who had been abducted in Plateau State, security officials confirmed on Wednesday. The operation, described as intelligence‑driven, took place at a criminal hideout in Angwan Boka, Sopp District, within the Riyom Local Government Area.
According to Captain Chinonso Polycarp Oteh, spokesman for the Joint Military Task Force, the raid was prompted by actionable intelligence provided by two individuals apprehended on February 16, who were later identified as members of a local kidnapping syndicate. Troops swiftly mobilised to the hideout, where they engaged the kidnappers in a firefight, resulting in the death of five suspects and the safe rescue of the victim, identified as Hauwa Suleiman. She was found unharmed and has since been reunited with her family.
READ ALSO:
- Sowore Condemns Electoral Act 2026 as Threat to Nigeria’s Democracy
- DSS Takes El-Rufai into Custody After Two Nights at EFCC Headquarters
- Tinubu Ends NNPCL Oil Revenue Deductions, Orders Full FAAC Remittance
During the operation, security forces also recovered evidence linking the suspects to criminal activities, including three mobile phones, ₦17,600 in cash, and substances suspected to be illegal drugs. Captain Oteh emphasised the importance of community cooperation in fighting crime, urging residents to provide credible information that would help security agencies locate and dismantle criminal networks. “Even though we will do our best, with credible and actionable information, we can know where criminal elements are and deal with them so that there will be peace,” he said.
Community members, including John Mairiga of Riyom, attested to the success of the raid and praised the troops for their swift intervention. Authorities described the operation as part of ongoing efforts to combat kidnapping, banditry, and violent crime across Plateau State and the broader Middle Belt region. The Nigerian Army reaffirmed its commitment to ensuring that citizens can return to their farms and businesses without fear of attacks.
The operation underscores the growing effectiveness of intelligence‑led military operations in tackling organised crime in Nigeria and highlights the critical role of community engagement in supporting security agencies. Residents are encouraged to continue providing information to security operatives to sustain the momentum of peace and stability across affected areas.
Troops Kill Five Kidnappers, Rescue Abducted Woman
metro
Sowore Condemns Electoral Act 2026 as Threat to Nigeria’s Democracy
Sowore Condemns Electoral Act 2026 as Threat to Nigeria’s Democracy
Former presidential candidate and activist Omoyele Sowore has condemned President Bola Ahmed Tinubu for signing the Electoral Act 2026 (Amendment) into law, describing the legislation as a direct threat to Nigeria’s democratic integrity and the credibility of upcoming elections.
Reacting shortly after the signing ceremony at the Presidential Villa in Abuja on Wednesday, Sowore said the law was “designed to undermine and ultimately forbid free, fair, and credible elections in Nigeria.” He urged citizens and civil society groups to actively oppose its provisions, warning that the legislation could erode hard-won democratic norms. “We must resist this assault on democracy,” he said. “They have dared the people. Now we must confront them, we must damn their impunity.”
President Tinubu signed the Electoral Act 2026 (Amendment) around 5:00 p.m., in a ceremony attended by principal officers of the National Assembly. The law is intended to govern the conduct of elections ahead of the 2027 general elections, with presidential and National Assembly polls scheduled for February 20, and governorship and State Houses of Assembly elections set for March 6.
READ ALSO:
- DSS Takes El-Rufai into Custody After Two Nights at EFCC Headquarters
- Tinubu Ends NNPCL Oil Revenue Deductions, Orders Full FAAC Remittance
- Lagos DSVA Confirms Mirabel Assault Happened in Ogun, Transfers Case
Sowore’s criticism reflects concerns from opposition politicians, civil society organisations, and legal analysts, who argue that some provisions of the amended law could weaken transparency and fairness in Nigeria’s elections. He pointed to clauses that may restrict political participation for smaller parties and independent candidates, limit judicial oversight in election disputes, and expand discretionary powers for the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) in ways that could centralise control and reduce accountability.
The activist’s remarks have reignited public debate, with supporters of the law arguing that the amendments are intended to streamline electoral processes, reduce frivolous litigation, and improve efficiency in Nigeria’s often protracted election system. Critics, however, warn that the law could be exploited to favour incumbents and entrenched political interests, potentially undermining the competitiveness of the 2027 elections. Civil society organisations have called for robust public education and, where necessary, judicial review to safeguard constitutional principles.
The Electoral Act 2026 (Amendment) arrives at a critical juncture for Nigeria’s democracy. With general elections just months away, political tensions, party realignments, and security concerns are intensifying nationwide. Observers note that the legal framework governing elections will play a pivotal role in shaping public confidence in the process. Sowore’s call for resistance adds to growing voices urging Nigerians to remain vigilant and assertive in defending transparency and accountability in governance.
Sowore Condemns Electoral Act 2026 as Threat to Nigeria’s Democracy
-
News2 days agoSaudi Arabia Confirms Sighting of Ramadan Crescent, Fasting Begins Wednesday
-
metro2 days agoLagos Woman Shares Ordeal After Alleged Rape, Sparks Nationwide Outcry
-
News2 days agoRamadan Begins in Nigeria as Sultan Confirms Crescent Sighting
-
metro3 days agoUS Freezes Assets of Eight Nigerians Over Boko Haram, ISIL, Cybercrime Links
-
Entertainment3 days agoMystery in Lekki: Police Probe Death of Two Nollywood Crew Found Lifeless in Parked Car
-
metro3 days agoTerror in Lagos Traffic: Cutlass Gang Unleashes Mayhem on Mile 12–Ketu Road
-
Auto3 days agoAppeal Court Ruling on VIO Limited to Abuja, Not Lagos — LASG
-
metro1 day agoSeven Killed in Horrific Crash at Ota Toll Gate


