metro

UUTH Raid: EFCC to Discipline Officers as Olukoyede Orders Apology, Full Investigation

UUTH Raid: EFCC to Discipline Officers as Olukoyede Orders Apology, Full Investigation

The Chairman of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission, Ola Olukoyede, has promised that any officer found to have acted outside established professional standards will face disciplinary action following an incident involving operatives of the commission and staff of the University of Uyo Teaching Hospital in Akwa Ibom State. The incident occurred on May 12, 2026, following a visit to the teaching hospital by armed commission agents who allegedly assaulted the Deputy Chairman of the Medical Advisory Committee, Professor Eyo Ekpe, and four other staff members. The operation sparked widespread outrage among medical professionals nationwide, with the Nigerian Medical Association condemning what it described as a “gross abuse of power” and threatening legal action. Following a preliminary review of the incident, Olukoyede directed that an official apology be issued to Professor Ekpe and members of the Nigerian Medical Association. In a statement released on Monday via the EFCC’s official X handle, he stated that the decision was made to address concerns raised by the medical community and members of the public affected by the incident. He expressed regret over the development, stressing that the operatives’ conduct did not meet the commission’s expected standards. “While acknowledging that the well-being of Nigerians is at the core of the Commission’s mandate, he expressed regret at the discomfort the unfortunate episode caused staff of the hospital and members of the public,” the statement read.

Olukoyede also confirmed that a thorough inquiry into the incident had been ordered and that any officer found guilty would face internal disciplinary action. “Once the exercise is completed, any officer found to have acted outside the acceptable code of professional conduct would be subjected to the internal disciplinary process,” he said. The EFCC chairman further assured stakeholders that the agency would work closely with relevant bodies to prevent a recurrence of such incidents. Despite the uproar, Olukoyede insisted that the agency would continue to carry out its mandate of combating economic and financial crimes in Nigeria without distraction. He also urged the Nigerian Medical Association and other professional organizations to continue supporting the commission’s anti-corruption operations, emphasizing the importance of partnership in improving accountability and combatting corruption in Nigeria.

READ ALSO:

The EFCC chairman’s directive for a probe and apology appears to contradict an earlier statement by the commission, which maintained that the operatives involved acted professionally and did not disrupt hospital activities. In a statement issued on Friday, May 15, 2026, the EFCC had insisted that the visit was “purely administrative” and not a raid. The commission said operatives from its Uyo zonal directorate visited the hospital solely to authenticate a document and not to carry out an arrest operation. “The presence of the Commission’s Operatives in the facility on Tuesday, May 12th, 2026 was purely administrative, to facilitate the authentication of a document, rather than a tactical operation to effect arrest,” the EFCC stated. The commission also denied allegations that its operatives arrested or brutalised hospital staff, stating that “no arrests were made and the staff of the hospital that followed our operatives to the Zonal Command were not detained.” However, the EFCC acknowledged being “outraged by the allegations of brutalisation” and noted that even though no physical evidence of bodily harm had been presented, it had ordered an investigation as a responsible organisation. “While awaiting the outcome of this inquiry, any staff of the Commission found to have deviated from the Standard Operating Procedure of the Agency, will not be spared,” the commission had stated.

Professor Eyo Ekpe, a cardiothoracic surgery professor at the teaching hospital, had previously accused EFCC agents of harassing and abusing him and other hospital employees during an attempted arrest over an alleged fraudulent medical report. During a press conference held last Wednesday, Ekpe described the circumstances leading up to the confrontation between EFCC officers and hospital staff, painting a picture of armed operatives storming his office without prior notification to hospital management. The Nigerian Medical Association (NMA), Akwa Ibom State chapter, went further, threatening a N1 billion lawsuit against the EFCC over the alleged assault. Addressing a press conference in Uyo, the state NMA Chairman, Professor Aniekan Peter, detailed the extent of the alleged assault with graphic specificity. “We observed that Prof Eyo Ekpe was apprehended within the premises of UUTH by masked EFCC operatives who physically assaulted him, beat him to the point of bleeding, handcuffed him alongside other doctors and hospital staff who attempted to intervene,” he said. He also alleged that he himself was affected during the incident, stating, “Professor Peter, Akwa Ibom NMA chairman, was shoved and exposed to teargas when he approached the scene seeking clarification from the operatives.” The NMA demanded an apology to the affected doctors, identification and prosecution of those involved in the operation, and compensation for damages. The association also declared that it would not provide medical services to EFCC officials or their relatives until its demands were addressed, a threat that would have crippled healthcare delivery for anti-graft agency personnel in the state. The Benue State branch of the NMA also condemned the incident, describing it as “disturbing, unacceptable, and a gross abuse of power.” The association maintained that no government agency, irrespective of its mandate, has the right to intimidate or humiliate healthcare workers or invade medical institutions in a manner that endangers staff and patients.

READ ALSO:

The hospital’s Chief Medical Director, Professor Ememabasi Bassey, stated that Ekpe and four other employees were effectively arrested without prior notification to hospital administration. Bassey argued that the medical report in question was forged and suggested that officials at the institution may have worked with outsiders to create it. “One of the things we must get to the bottom of is how the lawyer handling the case got the fake medical report. There may be bad eggs within the hospital working with outsiders,” he said. Bassey berated the conduct of the operatives, saying they went directly to Ekpe’s office without notifying management or presenting an arrest warrant. “At no point did they come to look for the CMD, the CMAC, or the director of administration. They went to his office,” he said. The Medical and Dental Consultants Association of Nigeria and the Association of Resident Doctors, UUTH chapters, both criticized the incident and declared industrial action in response to the alleged attack and arrest. The groups demanded disciplinary action against the participating operatives, compensation and treatment for wounded workers, public apologies in two national publications, and repairs for property damage.

Following the direct intervention by the Akwa Ibom State Government, the industrial action embarked upon by workers of the University of Uyo Teaching Hospital was suspended. The suspension became possible following a joint stakeholders’ meeting convened by the state government at the Old EXCO Chambers, Governor’s Office, Uyo. The meeting, which followed the directive of the Governor of Akwa Ibom State, Pastor Umo Eno, was chaired by the Deputy Governor of the State, Senator Akon Eyakenyi, and brought together representatives of the state government, the EFCC, security agencies, management of UUTH, the Nigerian Medical Association, Joint Health Sector Union (JOHESU), National Association of Nigeria Nurses and Midwives (NANNM), and other health sector unions. In a communiqué issued at the end of the meeting, stakeholders described the incident as “unfortunate and entirely avoidable” while condemning the altercation in its entirety. The EFCC, through its representatives at the meeting, expressed regret over the incident and apologised to all affected parties, including the Chief Medical Director of UUTH, Professor Eyo Ekpe; JOHESU Chairman, Mr Akanubong Asuquo; NMA Chairman, Professor Aniekan Peter; and the NANNM, over what was described as the unruly conduct of its operatives during the operation at the hospital.

The anti-graft agency further assured stakeholders that a formal apology would be issued by its headquarters and pledged that such an occurrence would not happen again. As part of the resolutions reached, the EFCC and the management of UUTH are to establish effective communication channels to ensure the lawful and professional handling of any ongoing or future investigations involving the institution. The stakeholders also resolved that the government should actively participate in identifying individuals behind the alleged fake medical report connected to the matter and ensure that anyone found culpable is brought to justice. The Akwa Ibom State Government commended the Chairman of the EFCC for ordering an investigation into the incident, as well as the Honourable Coordinating Minister of Health and Social Welfare for constituting a panel of inquiry. Meanwhile, the health sector unions expressed appreciation to Governor Umo Eno for his timely intervention in resolving the crisis and for his continued support to the healthcare sector. In what was widely regarded as a major outcome of the meeting, all health sector unions agreed, in the overriding interest of public health and industrial harmony, to suspend the strike action after consultation with their congresses. The meeting also resolved that all parties should refrain from further media exchanges capable of escalating tensions or prejudicing ongoing engagements. A liaison committee comprising representatives of the state government, UUTH management, the EFCC, and health sector unions is to be constituted to monitor the implementation of the resolutions reached and prevent the recurrence of similar incidents.

UUTH Raid: EFCC to Discipline Officers as Olukoyede Orders Apology, Full Investigation

Trends Admin

Recent Posts

LAMATA Bans Transportation Of Goods On Public Buses Across Lagos

LAMATA Bans Transportation Of Goods On Public Buses Across Lagos The Lagos State Government has…

53 minutes ago

Elliot Denies Violence Plot as Group Alleges Surulere APC Primary Disruption

Elliot Denies Violence Plot as Group Alleges Surulere APC Primary Disruption A political pressure group,…

1 hour ago

175 ISIS Terrorists, Top Commanders Killed in 7 Days – DHQ Confirms

175 ISIS Terrorists, Top Commanders Killed in 7 Days - DHQ Confirms The Defence Headquarters…

2 hours ago

“Tinubu Doesn’t Trust Me Because I’m Igbo” – Cubana Chief Priest Opens Up

“Tinubu Doesn’t Trust Me Because I’m Igbo” – Cubana Chief Priest Opens Up Celebrity businessman…

2 hours ago

Oyo Abduction: IGP Deploys More Detectives as Panic Spreads Across Ogbomoso

Oyo Abduction: IGP Deploys More Detectives as Panic Spreads Across Ogbomoso IBADAN — The Inspector-General…

3 hours ago

APC Primaries Throw Up Major Upsets as Over 70 NASS Members Lose Return Tickets

APC Primaries Throw Up Major Upsets as Over 70 NASS Members Lose Return Tickets LAGOS…

3 hours ago