metro
FG Suspends Planned Closure of Eko Bridge After Fresh Safety Review
FG Suspends Planned Closure of Eko Bridge After Fresh Safety Review
The Federal Government has suspended its planned closure of the Eko Bridge in Lagos State after a fresh structural assessment ordered by President Bola Ahmed Tinubu.
Minister of Works, Senator David Umahi, announced the decision on Tuesday during an inspection tour of the bridge, saying the earlier shutdown plan was reviewed to avoid worsening traffic hardship for Lagos residents and commuters.
According to Umahi, the government had earlier resolved to shut down one carriageway of the bridge following the discovery of major structural defects beneath the bridge. (Voice of Nigeria)
“We directed that this bridge be closed. That was about two weeks back, but our caring President Bola Tinubu is very much concerned about the closure of this Eko Bridge,” Umahi said.
“He has asked me to come back here and take a second look at that decision so that we don’t induce much hardship on Nigerians.”
The minister explained that engineers conducted another technical evaluation on Monday and concluded that the bridge remains safe for use for now, although continuous monitoring would be carried out.
READ ALSO:
“We have done our technical evaluation in line with the President’s directive. Putting safety over and above every decision, we have seen that, for now, we are safe, but we won’t get to a situation where any Nigerian on this bridge will not be safe,” he stated.
Umahi disclosed that the government had adopted three measures to manage the situation, beginning with suspending the immediate closure of the bridge while monitoring the crack observed on a section of the structure.
According to him, experts discovered that the crack was not currently expanding either “arithmetically or geometrically.”
“No progression so far. We are comfortable, but a crack can occur anytime. I will return here to reassess it,” he added.
The minister further revealed that remedial works would still commence on the bridge within the next four months to strengthen the damaged portion and prevent further deterioration.
He said the contractor, Buildwell, would carry out additional piling and pile cap reinforcement to bypass the cracked section before a more comprehensive reconstruction process begins.
“We have agreed on remedial work that could be carried out within four months by Buildwell, and that is by doing additional piling and a pile cap and joining it to the cracked one to bypass the section that is cracked.
“That can lead us to open the entire bridge and when that is done, we will wait for the entire design whereby the entire slab within that section will be lifted and then we will demolish what was cracked,” Umahi explained.
Earlier this month, the Federal Government had announced plans to partially shut the bridge after underwater investigations revealed that several supporting piles beneath the structure had failed, raising safety concerns. (Voice of Nigeria)
The planned closure was initially fixed for May 11 before it was later shifted to May 19 following consultations between the Federal Road Safety Corps and the Federal Ministry of Works. (Peoples Gazette Nigeria)
The proposed shutdown had triggered concerns among motorists and residents over fears of severe gridlock across Lagos Island and Mainland routes, particularly around Apongbon, Ijora and the Third Mainland Bridge corridor. (coolfm.ng)
Umahi, however, assured Nigerians that the government would not compromise public safety while efforts continue to maintain critical infrastructure across the country.
He also praised President Tinubu for prioritising infrastructure development and public welfare.
“I can assure you that the President means well, and we owe him prayers and support, and God will take us there,” the minister said.
FG Suspends Planned Closure of Eko Bridge After Fresh Safety Review
![]()
metro
Zamfara: Troops rescue seven women, children from terrorists
Zamfara: Troops rescue seven women, children from terrorists
Troops of the Joint Task Force North West, Operation FANSAN YAMMA, have foiled separate terrorist abduction attempts in Zamfara State, rescuing civilians and neutralising an improvised explosive device (IED) planted along a major road.
The operations, conducted on August 17, 2026, occurred at different locations in the state as security forces intensified efforts to protect civilians, secure major roads and disrupt the activities of terrorist groups in Zamfara.
The Media Information Officer of the Joint Task Force North West, Operation FANSAN YAMMA, Lieutenant Colonel Aliyu Danja, disclosed the development in a statement issued on August 17.
Danja said troops of Sector 2 responded to an abduction incident along the Gurusu–Anka Road after receiving information about the attack.
According to him, the troops pursued the terrorists, forcing them to abandon their captives and flee into the surrounding area.
The military officer said the operation resulted in the rescue of seven victims comprising four women and three children.
He added that all seven victims were rescued unharmed.
The rescue came amid continuing security concerns along major roads in Zamfara, where armed groups have repeatedly targeted motorists and passengers.
READ ALSO:
- ‘No Electoral Agreement with ADC’ – Adeleke Rejects Collaboration Claims, Credits God
- Palliative Care, Not Abandonment: Doctor Clears the Air on Ogogo’s Stage-Four Cancer Treatment
- Lagos Pensioners Give Sanwo-Olu 19-Day Ultimatum: Implement Wage Award or Face ‘Mother of All Protests’
In a separate operation around Magazu Village in Tsafe Local Government Area, troops responded to information that terrorists were attempting to abduct motorists.
The troops moved swiftly to the area and engaged the attackers, forcing them to abandon their victims and escape into nearby bushes.
Danja said some of the rescued victims sustained gunshot wounds during the incident and were immediately evacuated to a medical facility for treatment.
The Magazu axis has previously witnessed similar incidents, making the area a major security concern for residents and road users.
Earlier reports indicated that troops of Operation FANSAN YAMMA had rescued 33 passengers abducted by terrorists around the Magazu area after engaging the attackers and forcing them to abandon their victims.
Meanwhile, troops also responded to the discovery of a terrorist-planted IED along the Gurusu–Gwashi Road in Bukkuyum Local Government Area.
The military said the area was immediately secured while an Explosive Ordnance Disposal team was deployed to handle the explosive device.
The team successfully neutralised the IED, preventing potential casualties among soldiers, motorists and other road users.
The discovery highlights the continuing security threat posed by explosive devices along some roads in Zamfara State, particularly routes used by civilians and security personnel.
The latest operations formed part of ongoing efforts by Operation FANSAN YAMMA to maintain security across its Joint Operations Area and prevent terrorists from freely operating in vulnerable communities and along major transportation routes.
Danja said the successful interventions demonstrated the vigilance and responsiveness of troops in protecting civilians, securing communities and keeping major routes safe from terrorist activities.
He said the Theatre Command would continue to maintain pressure on terrorist elements across the Joint Operations Area and deny them the freedom to threaten innocent citizens.
The command also urged members of the public to remain vigilant and provide security agencies with timely and credible information about suspicious movements and activities.
The latest operations underscore the importance of intelligence-led military action in tackling kidnapping and terrorism in Zamfara, particularly along routes that have repeatedly come under attack.
Zamfara: Troops rescue seven women, children from terrorists
![]()
metro
Palliative Care, Not Abandonment: Doctor Clears the Air on Ogogo’s Stage-Four Cancer Treatment
metro
Lagos Pensioners Give Sanwo-Olu 19-Day Ultimatum: Implement Wage Award or Face ‘Mother of All Protests’
-
Sports2 days agoArsenal thrash Man City 3-0 to win Community Shield
-
Politics3 days agoAPC Humiliates Aregbesola, Wins His Polling Unit in Osun Governorship Election
-
metro1 day agoPolice to prosecute Kogi man for allegedly setting wife ablaze
-
metro1 day agoCustoms Names Importers of 399 Pump-Action Rifles, Hands Over Weapons to NSA Office
-
metro1 day agoNDLEA arrests businessman with cocaine, seizes N3.6bn drugs in Lagos
-
Politics2 days agoBreaking: Adeleke Crushes APC’s Oyebamiji, Wins Second Term in Osun
-
Politics3 days agoOsun election: Adeleke widens lead as Oyinlola, Omisore lose polling units
-
metro1 day agoOsun Woman Found Dead With Severed Wrist Inside Church
