metro
After Week-Long Closure, Onitsha Market to Reopen Amid Huge Economic Losses
After Week-Long Closure, Onitsha Market to Reopen Amid Huge Economic Losses
The Onitsha Main Market in Anambra State is set to reopen tomorrow after Governor Prof. Chukwuma Soludo and market leaders reached a landmark deal to end a week-long closure that paralysed trade and cost traders an estimated over N200 billion.
The market had been shut following a sit-at-home directive observed by some traders, despite state government calls for normal operations. To enforce compliance, Governor Soludo had temporarily closed the sprawling commercial hub, which is one of West Africa’s largest markets, affecting daily business and economic activity.
READ ALSO:
- Timipre Sylva to Be Arraigned in Absentia Over Alleged Coup Plot Against Tinubu
- EFCC, Interpol Hunt Timipre Sylva Over $14.8 Million Fraud Allegations
- Labour Party Rejects INEC’s Removal of Abure-Led Executives, Vows Legal Appeal
During intensive negotiations, led by market chairman Chijioke Okpalugo, traders agreed to resume full operations on Mondays, aligning with government directives. They also requested enhanced security measures, improved motor parks to attract buyers, and action against individuals promoting sit-at-home orders that disrupt trade.
Governor Soludo reaffirmed his commitment to overhauling market security and infrastructure, warning that traders must modernise the market through renovation or rebuilding to improve safety, organisation, and commercial flow. He described the agreement as a “major step toward restoring economic normalcy and attracting investment to Onitsha.”
Chinedu Nwonu, Chairman of the Onitsha Chamber of Commerce, disclosed that the six-day closure led to daily losses of nearly N20 billion, accumulating to more than N200 billion in direct and indirect losses, including missed trade opportunities and reduced business activity.
The reopening signals a return to normalcy for traders and buyers, with authorities indicating that a phased remodelling plan will be implemented to make the market safer, more organised, and more attractive to investors and customers. The agreement is expected to revive economic activity and restore confidence in one of Nigeria’s most vital commercial centres.
After Week-Long Closure, Onitsha Market to Reopen Amid Huge Economic Losses
![]()
metro
Zamfara: Troops rescue seven women, children from terrorists
Zamfara: Troops rescue seven women, children from terrorists
Troops of the Joint Task Force North West, Operation FANSAN YAMMA, have foiled separate terrorist abduction attempts in Zamfara State, rescuing civilians and neutralising an improvised explosive device (IED) planted along a major road.
The operations, conducted on August 17, 2026, occurred at different locations in the state as security forces intensified efforts to protect civilians, secure major roads and disrupt the activities of terrorist groups in Zamfara.
The Media Information Officer of the Joint Task Force North West, Operation FANSAN YAMMA, Lieutenant Colonel Aliyu Danja, disclosed the development in a statement issued on August 17.
Danja said troops of Sector 2 responded to an abduction incident along the Gurusu–Anka Road after receiving information about the attack.
According to him, the troops pursued the terrorists, forcing them to abandon their captives and flee into the surrounding area.
The military officer said the operation resulted in the rescue of seven victims comprising four women and three children.
He added that all seven victims were rescued unharmed.
The rescue came amid continuing security concerns along major roads in Zamfara, where armed groups have repeatedly targeted motorists and passengers.
READ ALSO:
- ‘No Electoral Agreement with ADC’ – Adeleke Rejects Collaboration Claims, Credits God
- Palliative Care, Not Abandonment: Doctor Clears the Air on Ogogo’s Stage-Four Cancer Treatment
- Lagos Pensioners Give Sanwo-Olu 19-Day Ultimatum: Implement Wage Award or Face ‘Mother of All Protests’
In a separate operation around Magazu Village in Tsafe Local Government Area, troops responded to information that terrorists were attempting to abduct motorists.
The troops moved swiftly to the area and engaged the attackers, forcing them to abandon their victims and escape into nearby bushes.
Danja said some of the rescued victims sustained gunshot wounds during the incident and were immediately evacuated to a medical facility for treatment.
The Magazu axis has previously witnessed similar incidents, making the area a major security concern for residents and road users.
Earlier reports indicated that troops of Operation FANSAN YAMMA had rescued 33 passengers abducted by terrorists around the Magazu area after engaging the attackers and forcing them to abandon their victims.
Meanwhile, troops also responded to the discovery of a terrorist-planted IED along the Gurusu–Gwashi Road in Bukkuyum Local Government Area.
The military said the area was immediately secured while an Explosive Ordnance Disposal team was deployed to handle the explosive device.
The team successfully neutralised the IED, preventing potential casualties among soldiers, motorists and other road users.
The discovery highlights the continuing security threat posed by explosive devices along some roads in Zamfara State, particularly routes used by civilians and security personnel.
The latest operations formed part of ongoing efforts by Operation FANSAN YAMMA to maintain security across its Joint Operations Area and prevent terrorists from freely operating in vulnerable communities and along major transportation routes.
Danja said the successful interventions demonstrated the vigilance and responsiveness of troops in protecting civilians, securing communities and keeping major routes safe from terrorist activities.
He said the Theatre Command would continue to maintain pressure on terrorist elements across the Joint Operations Area and deny them the freedom to threaten innocent citizens.
The command also urged members of the public to remain vigilant and provide security agencies with timely and credible information about suspicious movements and activities.
The latest operations underscore the importance of intelligence-led military action in tackling kidnapping and terrorism in Zamfara, particularly along routes that have repeatedly come under attack.
Zamfara: Troops rescue seven women, children from terrorists
![]()
metro
Palliative Care, Not Abandonment: Doctor Clears the Air on Ogogo’s Stage-Four Cancer Treatment
metro
Lagos Pensioners Give Sanwo-Olu 19-Day Ultimatum: Implement Wage Award or Face ‘Mother of All Protests’
-
Sports1 day agoArsenal thrash Man City 3-0 to win Community Shield
-
Politics3 days agoAPC Humiliates Aregbesola, Wins His Polling Unit in Osun Governorship Election
-
metro1 day agoPolice to prosecute Kogi man for allegedly setting wife ablaze
-
metro1 day agoCustoms Names Importers of 399 Pump-Action Rifles, Hands Over Weapons to NSA Office
-
metro1 day agoNDLEA arrests businessman with cocaine, seizes N3.6bn drugs in Lagos
-
Politics2 days agoBreaking: Adeleke Crushes APC’s Oyebamiji, Wins Second Term in Osun
-
Politics2 days agoOsun election: Adeleke widens lead as Oyinlola, Omisore lose polling units
-
metro1 day agoOsun Woman Found Dead With Severed Wrist Inside Church
