Sports
Wimbledon 2023: Victory over Djokovic is dream come true, says Alcaraz
Wimbledon 2023: Victory over Djokovic is dream come true, says Alcaraz
Carlos Alcaraz says his epic victory on Sunday in the Wimbledon singles final is a “dream come true”.
The 20-year-old Spaniard beat seven-time champion Novak Djokovic 1-6 7-6 (8-6) 6-1 3-6 6-4 on All England Club Centre.
The victory earned him a first Wimbledon title and denied Djokovic an eighth title and a 24th Grand Slam – both of which would have been record-equalling feats.
“It’s amazing for a boy… 20 years old. I didn’t expect to reach this situation really fast,” Alcaraz said.
“Making history in this beautiful tournament, playing a final against a legend of the sport. It’s a dream come true!”
He added, “Even if I lost, I would have been proud of myself. To be able to play in these stages of these occasions – as a boy of 20 years old – is really fast.
“I’m really proud of myself.”
Alcaraz, who won his first Grand Slam title at the US Open last year, celebrated by falling flat on his face after taking his first match point and kicking a ball into the crowd.
Down a set and struggling simply to avoid embarrassment, Alcaraz rediscovered his unique combination of speed, power and touch and figured out the subtleties of grass-court tennis at the nick of time, reports the BBC News.
He clawed his way back into the match in an epic 90-minute second set in which he was a point away from what figured to be an insurmountable two-set deficit.
He seized control of the match midway through the third set, gaining a crucial second break of Djokovic’s often unbreakable serve during a game that included 13 deuces.
He teetered in the fourth set as Djokovic steadied himself and rediscovered the magical footwork that has long served as the foundation of his success.
But Alcaraz rose once more to claim victory, not only overcoming Djokovic’s seemingly endless skills and talents but breaking his spirit, too.

Sports
CAF Confirms 2027 AFCON Dates, Reveals Host Cities, Stadiums Across East Africa
CAF Confirms 2027 AFCON Dates, Reveals Host Cities, Stadiums Across East Africa
The Confederation of African Football (CAF) has officially confirmed that the 2027 Africa Cup of Nations will take place from 19 June to 18 July 2027, reaffirming plans for the tournament to be hosted in Kenya, Tanzania, and Uganda — a historic first for three nations to co‑organise Africa’s premier international football competition. The competition will feature 24 teams, with automatic qualification for the host nations and qualifiers beginning in March 2026. (Wikipedia)
CAF President Patrice Motsepe stressed confidence in the readiness of the three host countries to deliver a high‑quality event, dismissing earlier doubts over infrastructure and logistical challenges. (kenyanews.go.ke)
Planned Host Cities and Stadiums
The tournament will be played across 10 cities and up to 12 stadiums spread among the three hosts, combining existing venues with newly built or upgraded facilities to meet CAF specifications. (Wikipedia)
Kenya
- Talanta Sports Stadium — Nairobi: A new 60,000‑seat stadium expected to host the opening ceremony and several high‑profile matches, including potentially the tournament final. (kenyanews.go.ke)
- Moi International Sports Centre — Kasarani, Nairobi: Existing large venue (approx. 55,000 capacity) undergoing final upgrades ahead of AFCON. (kenyanews.go.ke)
- Nyayo National Stadium — Nairobi: 30,000 seats, set to host group matches and key fixtures. (kenyanews.go.ke)
- Bukhungu Stadium — Kakamega and Kipchoge Keino Stadium — Eldoret: Additional venues set to host group games, expanding Kenya’s footprint in the tournament. (kenyanews.go.ke)
READ ALSO:
- Ronaldo Returns From Absence to Score in Al‑Nassr’s 2‑0 Win Over Al‑Fateh
- One Dead as Hausa, Benue Communities Clash at Port Harcourt Market
- Salah Shines as Liverpool Beat Brighton 3-0
Tanzania
- Benjamin Mkapa Stadium — Dar es Salaam: A 60,000‑seat national stadium likely to host major matches. (Daily News)
- Samia Suluhu Hassan Stadium — Arusha: A new 30,000‑seat facility under construction. (Wikipedia)
- Dodoma Stadium — Dodoma: Another new stadium planned to host AFCON fixtures. (Daily News)
- Amaan Stadium — Zanzibar: A revitalised 15,000‑seat venue that will feature fixtures and fan experiences. (Daily News)
Uganda
- Mandela National Stadium — Kampala: A major multi‑purpose venue with a capacity of over 45,000 expected to host key games. (Daily News)
- Hoima City Stadium — Hoima: Newly completed 20,000‑seat stadium ready for AFCON matches. (Wikipedia)
- Akii Bua Stadium — Lira: Another new 20,000‑seat venue helping spread the tournament across regions. (Wikipedia)
These venues reflect a significant investment in football infrastructure across East Africa and support CAF’s aspiration to deliver a memorable continental showcase. (kenyanews.go.ke)
Preparations are being coordinated closely between CAF and the hosts, with infrastructure upgrades, access roads, security systems, accommodation and transport logistics high on the agenda as the region gears up for its biggest sporting event in decades. (kenyanews.go.ke)
The 2027 AFCON promises not just a festival of African football but also a legacy of improved stadiums and facilities, with East Africa firmly on the continental sporting map. (kenyanews.go.ke)
CAF Confirms 2027 AFCON Dates, Reveals Host Cities, Stadiums Across East Africa
Sports
Ronaldo Returns From Absence to Score in Al‑Nassr’s 2‑0 Win Over Al‑Fateh
Ronaldo Returns From Absence to Score in Al‑Nassr’s 2‑0 Win Over Al‑Fateh
Cristiano Ronaldo marked a dramatic comeback for Al‑Nassr on Saturday, scoring early to help his side secure a 2‑0 win over Al‑Fateh in the Saudi Pro League — his first start since returning from a high‑profile absence. (Soccer News)
Ronaldo, 41, had been absent for three league matches amid reported disagreements with the club and dissatisfaction over how it was being run under the Public Investment Fund, which also owns other Saudi clubs. Media reports said the star was unhappy that rivals backed by the fund, particularly Al‑Hilal, were able to strengthen their squads — including signing Karim Benzema — while Al‑Nassr’s activity in the January transfer window was more limited. (Sky Sports)
On Saturday at the Prince Abdullah Bin Jalawi Stadium, Ronaldo wasted no time making an impact. In the 18th minute, he met a sharp cross and finished coolly to open the scoring — his 962nd career goal, edging him closer to the historic 1,000‑goal mark. (beIN SPORTS)
READ ALSO:
- One Dead as Hausa, Benue Communities Clash at Port Harcourt Market
- Salah Shines as Liverpool Beat Brighton 3-0
- UN Chief Calls Africa’s Security Council Exclusion Unfair, Outdated
Al‑Nassr controlled the match from there, and Ayman Yahya doubled the lead in the 78th minute to secure all three points and maintain pressure at the top of the league standings. With the win, Al‑Nassr strengthened their bid for the title, sitting one point behind Al‑Hilal. (Gulf News)
The goal was a timely reminder of Ronaldo’s enduring class, extending his remarkable scoring streak across 24 consecutive calendar years and underscoring his value even at an advanced age for an elite forward. (Gulf News)
Ronaldo’s absence in the past weeks sparked speculation about his future at Al‑Nassr, with some reports suggesting that unresolved issues over transfers and squad resources may have prompted his protest. The Saudi Pro League responded at the time by emphasising that “no individual, however significant, determines decisions beyond their own club,” amid discussion about the star’s dissatisfaction. (Reddit)
His return and goal, however, have eased tensions for now, with fans celebrating his leadership and contribution as Al‑Nassr chase silverware and league success. (The National)
Ronaldo Returns From Absence to Score in Al‑Nassr’s 2‑0 Win Over Al‑Fateh
Sports
Salah Shines as Liverpool Beat Brighton 3-0
Salah Shines as Liverpool Beat Brighton 3-0
Liverpool booked their place in the fifth round of the FA Cup with a commanding 3-0 victory over Brighton & Hove Albion at Anfield, as Mohamed Salah marked his return to form with a goal and an assist.
Liverpool took the lead late in the first half through Curtis Jones, before Salah set up Dominik Szoboszlai for a superb second goal shortly after the restart. The Egyptian winger then capped his performance by converting a penalty to seal a comprehensive win.
The hosts gradually grew into the contest after Brighton started brightly, with Jones—deployed at right-back and making his first start since January 17—opening the scoring in the 42nd minute. He met Milos Kerkez’s cross and calmly guided the ball beyond Jason Steele.
Brighton threatened an equaliser before half-time, but Alisson Becker produced crucial saves to deny Diego Gomez and Lewis Dunk.
Liverpool doubled their advantage in the 56th minute with a flowing team move. Virgil van Dijk found Cody Gakpo, whose cross-field pass was expertly controlled by Salah before he teed up Szoboszlai to rifle home his 10th goal of the season.
READ ALSO:
- UN Chief Calls Africa’s Security Council Exclusion Unfair, Outdated
- Tragedy on Enugu–Port Harcourt Highway as 11 Die in Road Accident
- Kwara Govt, Security Agencies Analyse Terrorists’ Video to Identify Kidnap Victims
Despite a triple substitution from Brighton manager Fabian Hurzeler, the visitors struggled to shift the momentum. Ten minutes later, Salah was brought down in the area by Pascal Gross, and the 33-year-old confidently dispatched the resulting penalty into the top corner for his seventh goal of the campaign.
Brighton’s night summed up a difficult run of form, with the Seagulls having won just two of their last 15 matches, and their inability to convert chances again proving costly.
Liverpool manager Arne Slot praised Salah’s all-round display after the game.
“It’s great to see him back on the scoresheet,” Slot said. “You almost expect his goals, but what I really appreciate is how much he contributes defensively as well. That’s extremely valuable for the team.”
Teenage substitute Rio Ngumoha thought he had added a fourth with a curling effort late on, only for the goal to be ruled out for offside—a decision that appeared harsh, especially with VAR not in use at this stage of the competition.
The victory followed Liverpool’s midweek confidence boost after bouncing back from defeat to Manchester City, and it underlined Slot’s intent to take the FA Cup seriously this season—having exited the competition early last year with a rotated side.
With a second consecutive clean sheet, improved attacking fluency, and Salah regaining rhythm after returning from the Africa Cup of Nations, Liverpool showed encouraging signs as they continue their pursuit of silverware.
Salah Shines as Liverpool Beat Brighton 3-0
-
Education14 hours agoCheck Your Name: UNILORIN Releases Updated NELFUND Refund List for 2024/2025 Students
-
metro3 days agoLagos Police Launch Manhunt for Suspect in Brutal Ajah Murder
-
News6 hours agoOsogbo Sons and Daughters Mark 5th Anniversary with Awards, Political Undertones
-
News3 days agoAso Rock Goes Solar as Tinubu Orders National Grid Disconnection
-
metro1 day agoBoko Haram Terrorists Release Video of 176 Abducted Kwara Residents
-
metro1 day agoWoman Arrested Over Murder of Nigerian E-Hailing Driver in South Africa
-
Sports3 days agoLookman Shines as Atlético Madrid Hammer Barcelona 4-0
-
metro2 days agoCourt Orders DIA to Produce Cleric Accused of Coup Plot by February 18


