metro
UPDATED: 5 feared dead in heavy shootings at Rivers LG secretariats
5 feared dead in heavy shootings at Rivers LG secretariats
At least five people are feared dead following violent shootings that erupted at various local government area secretariats in Rivers State on Monday.
The police have yet to release an official statement regarding the unrest that has impacted multiple local government areas (LGAs) across the state.
Sources indicate that many of the casualties are youths allegedly loyal to the state governor, Sir Siminialayi Fubara.
The ongoing gunfire at the council offices has created a climate of fear within surrounding communities.
By Monday afternoon, reports confirmed that approximately five individuals had been killed across four local government areas. Notably, the councils in Eleme, Emohua, and Ikwerre were set ablaze during the chaos.
READ ALSO:
- BREAKING: NAFDAC workers embark on nationwide strike
- Female sex worker allegedly stabs man to death in Lekki
- VeryDarkMan releases another alleged Bobrisky’s audio
The violence reportedly ignited when newly elected local government chairmen, sworn in by the governor on Sunday, arrived at their respective council secretariats.
They encountered a group of youths opposed to their election, who claimed they were present to clean the premises for the former council chairmen whose tenures had recently ended.
The confrontation escalated into shootings, leading to numerous injuries from gunfire and the reported deaths of five individuals: one in Khana, three in Oyibo, and one in Ahoada-East.
As authorities remain silent on the incidents, residents and local leaders are left on edge amid this troubling outbreak of violence. The situation highlights the urgent need for intervention to restore peace and security in the affected areas.
5 feared dead in heavy shootings at Rivers LG secretariats
![]()
metro
Zamfara: Troops rescue seven women, children from terrorists
Zamfara: Troops rescue seven women, children from terrorists
Troops of the Joint Task Force North West, Operation FANSAN YAMMA, have foiled separate terrorist abduction attempts in Zamfara State, rescuing civilians and neutralising an improvised explosive device (IED) planted along a major road.
The operations, conducted on August 17, 2026, occurred at different locations in the state as security forces intensified efforts to protect civilians, secure major roads and disrupt the activities of terrorist groups in Zamfara.
The Media Information Officer of the Joint Task Force North West, Operation FANSAN YAMMA, Lieutenant Colonel Aliyu Danja, disclosed the development in a statement issued on August 17.
Danja said troops of Sector 2 responded to an abduction incident along the Gurusu–Anka Road after receiving information about the attack.
According to him, the troops pursued the terrorists, forcing them to abandon their captives and flee into the surrounding area.
The military officer said the operation resulted in the rescue of seven victims comprising four women and three children.
He added that all seven victims were rescued unharmed.
The rescue came amid continuing security concerns along major roads in Zamfara, where armed groups have repeatedly targeted motorists and passengers.
READ ALSO:
- ‘No Electoral Agreement with ADC’ – Adeleke Rejects Collaboration Claims, Credits God
- Palliative Care, Not Abandonment: Doctor Clears the Air on Ogogo’s Stage-Four Cancer Treatment
- Lagos Pensioners Give Sanwo-Olu 19-Day Ultimatum: Implement Wage Award or Face ‘Mother of All Protests’
In a separate operation around Magazu Village in Tsafe Local Government Area, troops responded to information that terrorists were attempting to abduct motorists.
The troops moved swiftly to the area and engaged the attackers, forcing them to abandon their victims and escape into nearby bushes.
Danja said some of the rescued victims sustained gunshot wounds during the incident and were immediately evacuated to a medical facility for treatment.
The Magazu axis has previously witnessed similar incidents, making the area a major security concern for residents and road users.
Earlier reports indicated that troops of Operation FANSAN YAMMA had rescued 33 passengers abducted by terrorists around the Magazu area after engaging the attackers and forcing them to abandon their victims.
Meanwhile, troops also responded to the discovery of a terrorist-planted IED along the Gurusu–Gwashi Road in Bukkuyum Local Government Area.
The military said the area was immediately secured while an Explosive Ordnance Disposal team was deployed to handle the explosive device.
The team successfully neutralised the IED, preventing potential casualties among soldiers, motorists and other road users.
The discovery highlights the continuing security threat posed by explosive devices along some roads in Zamfara State, particularly routes used by civilians and security personnel.
The latest operations formed part of ongoing efforts by Operation FANSAN YAMMA to maintain security across its Joint Operations Area and prevent terrorists from freely operating in vulnerable communities and along major transportation routes.
Danja said the successful interventions demonstrated the vigilance and responsiveness of troops in protecting civilians, securing communities and keeping major routes safe from terrorist activities.
He said the Theatre Command would continue to maintain pressure on terrorist elements across the Joint Operations Area and deny them the freedom to threaten innocent citizens.
The command also urged members of the public to remain vigilant and provide security agencies with timely and credible information about suspicious movements and activities.
The latest operations underscore the importance of intelligence-led military action in tackling kidnapping and terrorism in Zamfara, particularly along routes that have repeatedly come under attack.
Zamfara: Troops rescue seven women, children from terrorists
![]()
metro
Palliative Care, Not Abandonment: Doctor Clears the Air on Ogogo’s Stage-Four Cancer Treatment
metro
Lagos Pensioners Give Sanwo-Olu 19-Day Ultimatum: Implement Wage Award or Face ‘Mother of All Protests’
-
Sports2 days agoArsenal thrash Man City 3-0 to win Community Shield
-
metro1 day agoCustoms Names Importers of 399 Pump-Action Rifles, Hands Over Weapons to NSA Office
-
metro2 days agoPolice to prosecute Kogi man for allegedly setting wife ablaze
-
metro2 days agoNDLEA arrests businessman with cocaine, seizes N3.6bn drugs in Lagos
-
Politics3 days agoBreaking: Adeleke Crushes APC’s Oyebamiji, Wins Second Term in Osun
-
Politics3 days agoOsun election: Adeleke widens lead as Oyinlola, Omisore lose polling units
-
Politics1 day agoDavido Quietly Removes Tweet Cautioning Adeleke on Supporting Tinubu
-
metro3 days agoFrom Pulpit to Ifá Shrine: Ex-Pastor Exposes ‘Deceit’ in Christianity, Embraces Yoruba Tradition
