Seven family members of Alhaji Alhassan Adamu, the emir of Kajuru, have regained freedom after two months in captivity.
They were released on Wednesday after an undisclosed ransom payment.
Among those released are three women, three male and an infant
Daily Trust had reported how bandits stormed the emir’s residence on July 11, 2021, and abducted him alongside 12 others.
But he was released 24 hours after the abduction.
Confirming the release of the victims, a title holder in the emirate, Dan Iyan Kajuru Saidu Musa, said children and grand children of the emir were still in captivity.
The monarch had shed tears publicly when his subject welcomed him shortly after his release.
Lalong apologises to Catholic bishops over comment on Pope
Plateau State Governor and Director-General of the Presidential Campaign team All Progressives Congress, Simon Lalong, has apologised to the Catholic Bishops’ Conference of Nigeria over his unpopular statement to the Holy Father, Pope Francis.
Lalong, while reacting to his recent appointment by the ruling APC to spearhead the presidential campaign of Asiwaju Bola Tinubu said Pope had not disapproved his support for a Muslim-Muslim ticket.
His statement had attracted heavy criticisms from Catholic faithful across the country, with some calling for his suspension from the church.
Lalong’s apology was contained in a letter addressed to the President of the Catholic Bishops Conference of Nigeria, Lucius Iwejuru Ugorji, dated August 12.
In the letter, the Plateau governor said he realised that his comment had brought “embarrassment” to the Catholic Church, especially to the family of Papal Knights.
The letter read in part, “I have followed with some shock and deep regret, the reactions that have trailed my appointment as the Director-General of the Campaign Council for the Presidential Candidates of our Party, the All Progressive Congress, APC, Ahmed Bola Tinubu and Ibrahim Shettima,” the letter reads.
“The appointment understandably was received with mixed reactions across the Christian community who genuinely feel aggrieved by the decision of our party to settle for a Muslim-Muslim ticket.
“While many people commended me for the appointment and saw it as a way of remaining within the system to fight for our interests, others cast aspersions on it on the grounds that our faith had been insulted and denigrated.
“In the course of this, many of my opponents turned the issue into a political weapon with some spreading rumours and questioning the integrity of my credentials as a Catholic and a Papal Knight. In trying to make my case, I have granted interviews to justify why I believe that the appointment did not in any way undermine my commitment to the Catholic Church.
“During the week, in the course of defending myself, I had cause to make reference to my credentials as a Catholic and a Papal Knight. In the process, I made reference to the Holy Father.
“I now realise that this was an error on my part and has caused some level of concern and even embarrassment to many especially the Members of the family of Papal Knights to which I belong.
“I now understand that I may have overreached myself in the course of trying to defend my personal decision in accepting this appointment and thus, the reference to the holy father was not intended as an act of disrespect to his exalted and revered office.
“Your Grace, by this written letter, I wish to tender my unreserved apologies and ask for their understanding and forgiveness from my brothers in the Catholic faith and, through you, the entire members of the Bishops’ Conference, our Fathers and our Leaders. My commitment to the Catholic faith to which | belong remains unreserved and undiluted.
“I will continue to uphold the banner of my faith in public life as I have done over the years. You may recall, Your Grace that in the last five or so years, I have been at the forefront of facilitating our dialogue as politicians with you our fathers in the faith. I remain committed to this and pray that you will continue to encourage us as we ascend the slippery slope of politics. While soliciting your episcopal blessings.”
ASUU strike: Parents reply Keyamo, give conditions to beg lecturers
The National Parents Teachers Association of Nigeria (NAPTAN) has said it will only beg the Academic Staff Union of Universities (ASUU) to call off its prolonged strike if government considers the reports of the various committees set up to look into the matter and come out with its decisions.
The parents said it expected the Federal Government to come out publicly with its offers in order to know how they could intervene in the matter.
NAPTAN spoke through its National President, Alhaji Haruna Danjuma, in an interview with Vanguard on Sunday.
The association was reacting to an interview where the Minister of State for Labour, Mr Festus Keyamo(SAN) asked Nigerians, especially parents, to beg members of ASUU to return to their duty posts.
Keyamo also said the government would not go borrowing to meet the demands of the union.
“Let the Federal Government consider all the reports of the various committees it set up to negotiate with ASUU.
“There was a committee led by the Chief of Staff to the President, Prof. Ibrahim Gambari, among numerous committees.
“There has never been a time when parents are involved in the negotiation. We don’t want a situation where somebody will pitch us against ASUU or any group.
“The negotiation should involve parents, NANS, ASUU and government team.
“What the government should do is consider the reports of those committees and look at areas they can afford or work on and present same to ASUU. If whatever they can afford is unacceptable to the unions, then parents and others can come in to intervene,” Danjuma said.
National President of ASUU, Prof. Emmanuel Osodeke, in an interview, also said it was a subtle blackmail for anybody to insinuate that the union was pushing the government to borrow.
He advised the government to get its priorities right address the impasse.
He said, “We are not asking the government to go borrowing. But since the minister is a Nigerian, he should know what our demands are. Our demands include that they implement the Memorandum of Action signed in 202 with us.
“The document says government will release the first tranche of the Revitalisation Fund, pay Earned Academic Allowance, stop proliferation of universities and renegotiate the 2009 agreement, among others.
“They have set up a committee to renegotiate the 2009 Agreement and they are yet to come up with anything from the report of the committee they set up. I wonder why some people behave as if they are living in another world entirely. Is it because they are occupying public offices that they seem to exist in another planet?”
Buhari can take sick leave, allow someone else rule Nigeria – Kadara Ahmed
Chief Executive Officer of RadioNow, Kadaria Ahmed, has asked President Muhammadu Buhari to proceed on sick leave and allow somebody to run the affairs of the country, following the deteriorating security challenges.
Ahmed last week described a recent BBC documentary on Zamfara banditry as “irresponsible reporting”.
She said the BBC documentary fell below the best practices of journalism, and was against public interest.
She said the BBC Africa Eye might be charged with aiding terrorism because it “glamorizes” terrorism by “providing” a platform for the terrorists to express their extreme views, and an insensitivity to their victims.
The Federal Government through the Minister of Information, Lai Muhammed, also threatened to sanction BBC and Trust TV for “glorifying terrorism” in their banditry documentaries.
Speaking with Arise TV, Ahmed said her concerns over the documentary was not intended to excuse the government on its responsibility of safeguarding the lives and property.
She said, “I think Nigerians ought to tell their politicians that it is time to have a bipartisan approach to insecurity, because it is something that is going to consume us. Even now as it is consuming us, we are not asking who is PDP or who is APC. And this continuous politicisation of insecurity, for me, portends a serious danger to Nigeria.
“The grandstanding doesn’t make sense to me, because we are dealing with an existential threat, something that could actually wreck us all. I am not too sure we could get to elections, which is what people are holding onto, and saying, ‘if we get there maybe the new people coming in…’ but what happens between now and elections is a long period.
“So, our politicians need to become a little more aware, and even if it is behind the scenes. I am not even sure if we need to be seeing them on TV working things out, no. Please go behind the scenes, sit down, and reach a bipartisan agreement about how you’re going to deal with the crises that Nigeria is facing. We have never had it so bad. And if we are not careful, under their watch, we are losing this country. APC, PDP, all of them, so go behind the scenes.”
She also said that if President Buhari is sick and incapable of running the country, he should step aside and allow somebody else to take over.
“Even if it is a question of persuading the president. I don’t know, he has not been well, maybe he can go on sick leave for an extended period and allow somebody else to have a go. Because by his own admission, he said something like ‘no country on its own can defeat terrorism.’
“What I am hearing is, ‘I am not too sure there is anything more I can do.’ That is what I hear when I hear that. So, maybe it is time to look at other options,” she said.
2023: Bauchi govt, APC guber candidate Saddique clash over alleged plot to recruit 1,000 thugs
Osun-Osogbo festival: Despite proven contamination, devotees drink from Osun river
41 dead as fire engulfs church in Egypt
CCECC completes Apapa port link to Lagos-Ibadan railway
Customs: Vehicle tariff reduction to begin next week
Biden, Treasury Secretary say Republicans COVID-19 aid too small
American preacher, Creflo Dollar confesses he misled congregants, says tithing not biblical + Video
[UPDATED]Conflicting Reports Over Viral Video Of Soldiers Evacuating ‘Bandits’ In Kaduna + Video
Lagos mother fights off suspected ritualist attempting to abduct kids + VIDEO
Business1 week ago
Nigeria Secures $1.5bn Loan From US to Boost Solar Power Infrastructure
metro1 week ago
Why Abuja-Kaduna train victims still in captivity, by ex-negotiator
Business5 days ago
Agric budgets hit N874.83bn, food imports gulp N7.81tn
metro1 week ago
Lagos policemen, sheriffs invade house, destroy N500m property
metro1 week ago
Woman sleeps with 40 men to mark her 40th birthday + Video
Sports6 days ago
Golden Sunday for Nigeria as Brume takes country CWG gold medals to 12
Auto1 week ago
Multi-billion naira NADDC land, imported equipment rot away, says ex-agency boss
News1 week ago
Nigerian applicants to US varsities groan over visa appointment hurdles