metro
17 kidnapped victims rescued from Niger, 21 rifles seized in Kaduna
17 kidnapped victims rescued from Niger, 21 rifles seized in Kaduna
Operatives of the Nigeria Police Anti-Kidnapping Squad have rescued 17 persons kidnapped at Sarkin Power in Niger State by bandits while in Kaduna State, a vehicle loaded with 21 AK 47 rifles en route delivery to criminal gangs was intercepted.
Force Public Relations Officer, Mr. Muyiwa Adejobi, who made this known, yesterday, said the feat was in line with the operational directives and strategic vision of the Inspector-General of Police, IGP Kayode Egbetokun geared towards tackling violent crimes, dismantling criminal networks, and enhancing public safety across the country.
He said: “On April 9, 2025, in a feat of inter-agency collaboration and strategic intelligence deployment, operatives of the Kaduna State Police Command’s Anti-Kidnapping Unit, in conjunction with the Office of the National Security Adviser, ONSA, successfully rescued 17 victims who had been abducted on March 3, 2025, from Sarkin Pawa, Niger State.
“This operation, notably achieved through a non-kinetic approach, evidences the commitment of the IGP to leveraging intelligence-led policing and inter-agency synergy to address security challenges.
READ ALSO:
- Sanwo-Olu gifts LASU best graduating student N10m
- NRC suspends Warri-Itakpe train after multiple engine failure
- Era of Police detaining suspects for weeks gone – Falana
The rescued victims include Williams Ubadia (15), Samuel Ezekiel (15), Duza Ezekiel (13), Ishaku Ishaya (12), Sunday Ezekiel (8), Jessy Friday (6), Rebecca Ezekiel (32), Jummai Ishaya (32), and Terriza Friday (30).
Others are Alice Ezekiel (35), Victoria Ishaya (32), Blessing Ezekiel (20), Gloria Ubadia (13), Gift Ubadia (10), Charity Ezekiel (9), Alheri Ishaya (5), and Favour Ezekiel, one year old toddler.
“All rescued individuals were promptly taken to the Police Clinic in Kaduna for medical examination and have been certified to be in stable and sound health.
“On the same day, April 9, 2025, operatives of the Anti-Kidnapping Unit acting on credible intelligence intercepted a commercial Volkswagen Sharon vehicle at the Kawo Central Motor Park in Kaduna.
“Upon thorough search, officers discovered 21 fabricated AK-47 rifles concealed within the vehicle.
“The suspect, identified as Jamilu Suleiman, a 27 year old male resident of Rafin Guza, Kaduna, was arrested and is currently in custody.
17 kidnapped victims rescued from Niger, 21 rifles seized in Kaduna
![]()
metro
Zamfara: Troops rescue seven women, children from terrorists
Zamfara: Troops rescue seven women, children from terrorists
Troops of the Joint Task Force North West, Operation FANSAN YAMMA, have foiled separate terrorist abduction attempts in Zamfara State, rescuing civilians and neutralising an improvised explosive device (IED) planted along a major road.
The operations, conducted on August 17, 2026, occurred at different locations in the state as security forces intensified efforts to protect civilians, secure major roads and disrupt the activities of terrorist groups in Zamfara.
The Media Information Officer of the Joint Task Force North West, Operation FANSAN YAMMA, Lieutenant Colonel Aliyu Danja, disclosed the development in a statement issued on August 17.
Danja said troops of Sector 2 responded to an abduction incident along the Gurusu–Anka Road after receiving information about the attack.
According to him, the troops pursued the terrorists, forcing them to abandon their captives and flee into the surrounding area.
The military officer said the operation resulted in the rescue of seven victims comprising four women and three children.
He added that all seven victims were rescued unharmed.
The rescue came amid continuing security concerns along major roads in Zamfara, where armed groups have repeatedly targeted motorists and passengers.
READ ALSO:
- ‘No Electoral Agreement with ADC’ – Adeleke Rejects Collaboration Claims, Credits God
- Palliative Care, Not Abandonment: Doctor Clears the Air on Ogogo’s Stage-Four Cancer Treatment
- Lagos Pensioners Give Sanwo-Olu 19-Day Ultimatum: Implement Wage Award or Face ‘Mother of All Protests’
In a separate operation around Magazu Village in Tsafe Local Government Area, troops responded to information that terrorists were attempting to abduct motorists.
The troops moved swiftly to the area and engaged the attackers, forcing them to abandon their victims and escape into nearby bushes.
Danja said some of the rescued victims sustained gunshot wounds during the incident and were immediately evacuated to a medical facility for treatment.
The Magazu axis has previously witnessed similar incidents, making the area a major security concern for residents and road users.
Earlier reports indicated that troops of Operation FANSAN YAMMA had rescued 33 passengers abducted by terrorists around the Magazu area after engaging the attackers and forcing them to abandon their victims.
Meanwhile, troops also responded to the discovery of a terrorist-planted IED along the Gurusu–Gwashi Road in Bukkuyum Local Government Area.
The military said the area was immediately secured while an Explosive Ordnance Disposal team was deployed to handle the explosive device.
The team successfully neutralised the IED, preventing potential casualties among soldiers, motorists and other road users.
The discovery highlights the continuing security threat posed by explosive devices along some roads in Zamfara State, particularly routes used by civilians and security personnel.
The latest operations formed part of ongoing efforts by Operation FANSAN YAMMA to maintain security across its Joint Operations Area and prevent terrorists from freely operating in vulnerable communities and along major transportation routes.
Danja said the successful interventions demonstrated the vigilance and responsiveness of troops in protecting civilians, securing communities and keeping major routes safe from terrorist activities.
He said the Theatre Command would continue to maintain pressure on terrorist elements across the Joint Operations Area and deny them the freedom to threaten innocent citizens.
The command also urged members of the public to remain vigilant and provide security agencies with timely and credible information about suspicious movements and activities.
The latest operations underscore the importance of intelligence-led military action in tackling kidnapping and terrorism in Zamfara, particularly along routes that have repeatedly come under attack.
Zamfara: Troops rescue seven women, children from terrorists
![]()
metro
Palliative Care, Not Abandonment: Doctor Clears the Air on Ogogo’s Stage-Four Cancer Treatment
metro
Lagos Pensioners Give Sanwo-Olu 19-Day Ultimatum: Implement Wage Award or Face ‘Mother of All Protests’
-
Sports2 days agoArsenal thrash Man City 3-0 to win Community Shield
-
metro1 day agoCustoms Names Importers of 399 Pump-Action Rifles, Hands Over Weapons to NSA Office
-
metro2 days agoPolice to prosecute Kogi man for allegedly setting wife ablaze
-
metro2 days agoNDLEA arrests businessman with cocaine, seizes N3.6bn drugs in Lagos
-
Politics3 days agoBreaking: Adeleke Crushes APC’s Oyebamiji, Wins Second Term in Osun
-
Politics3 days agoOsun election: Adeleke widens lead as Oyinlola, Omisore lose polling units
-
Sports2 days agoWAFCON 2026: Cameroon beat Malawi 3-0 to claim first-ever continental crown
-
Politics1 day agoDavido Quietly Removes Tweet Cautioning Adeleke on Supporting Tinubu
