BREAKING: Kogi Lawmaker Natasha Akpoti-Uduaghan resumes at Senate [VIDEO] - Newstrends
Connect with us

metro

BREAKING: Kogi Lawmaker Natasha Akpoti-Uduaghan resumes at Senate [VIDEO]

Published

on

Senator Natasha Akpoti-Uduaghan
Senator Natasha Akpoti-Uduaghan

BREAKING: Kogi Lawmaker Natasha Akpoti-Uduaghan Resumes at Senate [VIDEO]

Senator Natasha Akpoti-Uduaghan has resumed her legislative duties at the National Assembly, months after being suspended by the Senate.

The lawmaker representing Kogi Central arrived at the National Assembly complex in the company of her supporters.

Her office located at Room 205 in the Senate Wing, was reopened on Tuesday morning. The office had been sealed on March 6, 2025, following her six-month suspension over allegations of misconduct raised by Senate President Godswill Akpabio.

Earlier in the day, Deputy Director of the Sergeant-at-Arms, Alabi Adedeji, carried out the unsealing on the directive of the Senate leadership.

READ ALSO:

In a video circulated to journalists, Adedeji confirmed the action, stating: “I, Alabi Adedeji, Deputy Director, Sergeant-at-Arms, National Assembly, having been directed to unseal the office of Senator Natasha Akpoti-Uduaghan, hereby unseal the office.”

When asked for clarification, Senate spokesperson Yemi Adaramodu declined to elaborate, saying only: “If something was sealed before and now unsealed, it means it has been unsealed.”

It is understood that the decision to reopen the office followed growing pressure from within and outside the chamber to allow Senator Akpoti-Uduaghan to reclaim her seat after the expiration of her suspension in September. However, divisions remain among senators, with some backing her immediate reinstatement, others insisting on an apology, and a few pushing for an extension of the suspension pending a ruling by the Court of Appeal.

BREAKING: Kogi Lawmaker Natasha Akpoti-Uduaghan Resumes at Senate [VIDEO]

metro

FG, Progressive Governors Forum Pledge ₦8bn Relief for Singer Market Fire Victims

Published

on

Singer Market Fire

FG, Progressive Governors Forum Pledge ₦8bn Relief for Singer Market Fire Victims

The Federal Government (FG) and the Progressive Governors Forum (PGF) have jointly donated a combined ₦8 billion in relief funds to support victims of the devastating Singer Market fire in Lagos State.

In a statement on Tuesday, government officials said the donation aims to provide emergency relief, rehabilitation support, and economic recovery assistance to affected traders and families whose businesses and sources of livelihood were destroyed by the blaze.

The fire, which broke out at the popular Singer Market in the heart of Lagos Island, reduced hundreds of shops and goods to ashes, leaving many traders — particularly small‑scale entrepreneurs — facing significant financial hardship. The market, known for its vibrant trade in textiles, electronics, and assorted merchandise, has long been a key commercial hub in Lagos State’s informal economy.

According to the Federal Government, the ₦8bn relief package will be used to provide cash grants, food aid, temporary shelter, and business rehabilitation funds to help affected victims restart their livelihoods. The authorities also noted that a portion of the funds will support medical assistance, psychosocial support services, and skills‑training programmes for displaced traders.

READ ALSO:

Representatives from the Progressive Governors Forum said the donation reflects the collective commitment of Nigeria’s governors to stand with communities in crisis and to facilitate inclusive economic recovery at the grassroots level. Several state governors are personally overseeing the distribution of support items and coordinating with local leadership to ensure that funds reach those most in need.

Lagos State officials welcomed the intervention, stating that the relief funds would complement ongoing efforts by the state government and private donors to rebuild and rehabilitate the affected areas of Singer Market. They added that the distribution process would be transparent, inclusive, and community‑driven.

A spokesperson for the FG said the intervention underscores the government’s resolve to protect small business owners, sustain economic activities, and prevent further socio‑economic disruptions in the aftermath of the disaster.

Meanwhile, many Singer Market traders and victims have expressed gratitude for the support, while also appealing for long‑term investment and rebuilding plans to restore the market’s infrastructure and economic vibrancy.

FG, Progressive Governors Forum Pledge ₦8bn Relief for Singer Market Fire Victims

Continue Reading

metro

DHQ Confirms 100 US Military Personnel Arrive in Bauchi for Counter-Terrorism Training

Published

on

U.S Soldiers

DHQ Confirms 100 US Military Personnel Arrive in Bauchi for Counter-Terrorism Training

The Defence Headquarters (DHQ) has confirmed that approximately 100 United States military personnel have arrived at Bauchi Airfield to assist the Armed Forces of Nigeria in training, technical support, and intelligence-sharing operations aimed at enhancing the country’s capacity to combat terrorism and extremist threats.

In a statement on Monday, Major General Samaila Uba, Director of Defence Information, said the deployment followed formal engagements between Nigerian and US defence officials and was executed at the request of the Federal Government. The personnel’s arrival is part of outcomes from a bilateral working group engagement between the two countries and reflects the ongoing security partnership between Nigeria and the United States.

READ ALSO:

Major General Uba explained that the US troops are serving strictly in advisory and technical roles, focusing on joint training exercises, operational planning, and intelligence cooperation. He emphasised that they are not combat forces, and all activities are being conducted under the authority and control of the Nigerian Government, in close coordination with the Armed Forces of Nigeria.

The collaboration is designed to provide specialised technical expertise to Nigerian troops, strengthening efforts to detect, deter, and neutralise extremist groups across the country. According to DHQ, the joint exercises will improve operational effectiveness, enhance interoperability, and support Nigeria’s ongoing fight against terrorist organisations, including Boko Haram and Islamic State West Africa Province (ISWAP).

Officials stressed that the deployment demonstrates Nigeria’s commitment to national security and its continued collaboration with international partners to build military capacity, safeguard communities, and protect national sovereignty. The DHQ also assured the public of transparent updates as the training and intelligence initiatives progress.

DHQ Confirms 100 US Military Personnel Arrive in Bauchi for Counter-Terrorism Training

Continue Reading

metro

EFCC Holds El-Rufai Overnight Over ₦423bn Kaduna Corruption Allegations

Published

on

Former Kaduna State Governor, Nasir El-Rufai
Former Kaduna State Governor, Nasir El-Rufai

EFCC Holds El-Rufai Overnight Over ₦423bn Kaduna Corruption Allegations

Former Kaduna State Governor, Nasir El-Rufai, spent Monday night in detention at the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission headquarters in Abuja after hours of interrogation over allegations linked to a multi-billion-naira corruption investigation involving his administration.

El-Rufai arrived at the EFCC headquarters around 10 a.m. on Monday after honouring an invitation and was questioned throughout the day over claims contained in a **2024 report of the Kaduna State House of Assembly. The report accused his government of financial mismanagement, abuse of office, irregular contract awards, and improper loan utilisation between 2015 and 2023. By late Monday night, sources confirmed that he remained in custody.

A senior EFCC official said investigators had been working on the case for nearly a year, explaining that invitations to high-profile suspects are usually issued only after preliminary findings reach an advanced stage. EFCC spokesman Dele Oyewale confirmed that El-Rufai honoured the invitation but declined to comment on the substance of the interrogation or disclose the next steps in the investigation.

READ ALSO:

The EFCC probe is anchored on findings by an ad hoc committee of the Kaduna State House of Assembly mandated to review the state’s finances, loans, and contract executions during El-Rufai’s tenure. The committee alleged that several loans were not applied to their stated purposes, claiming that about ₦423 billion was misapplied or unaccounted for, leaving Kaduna State with heavy financial liabilities.

Lawmakers subsequently recommended the prosecution of El-Rufai and senior officials of his administration for alleged money laundering, contract irregularities, and reckless borrowing. The report also cited disputed payments exceeding ₦155 million, the alleged diversion of ₦1.37 billion meant for a light rail project, and the purported laundering of ₦64.8 million by senior aides.

El-Rufai has consistently denied wrongdoing, describing the legislative report as politically motivated and insisting that all loans were lawfully obtained and deployed to projects in infrastructure, education, healthcare, and security across Kaduna State.

In a parallel development, the Federal Government filed criminal charges against El-Rufai at the Federal High Court in Abuja, accusing him of unlawfully intercepting communications linked to the **National Security Adviser, Nuhu Ribadu.

The three-count charge, filed under the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, etc.) Amendment Act and the Nigerian Communications Act, alleges that El-Rufai admitted during a **February 13 interview on Arise TV that he and associates listened to phone calls connected to the NSA. Prosecutors argue that the alleged actions amount to illegal interception and failure to report a cybercrime offence, which they say could pose national security risks. No arraignment date has been fixed.

Meanwhile, security sources disclosed that the Department of State Services has reopened investigations into the 2019 disappearance of Abubakar Idris, popularly known as Dadiyata, a lecturer and government critic who went missing in Kaduna.

According to the sources, El-Rufai’s international passport was seized at the Nnamdi Azikiwe International Airport, Abuja, as part of ongoing investigations. Officials said the probe may also extend to social media activities by individuals connected to the case.

El-Rufai has repeatedly denied any involvement in Dadiyata’s disappearance, maintaining that he neither knew the activist personally nor ordered or sanctioned any action against him, and has called for an independent investigation to establish the truth.

EFCC Holds El-Rufai Overnight Over ₦423bn Kaduna Corruption Allegations

Continue Reading
HostArmada Affordable Cloud SSD Shared Hosting
HostArmada - Affordable Cloud SSD Web Hosting

Trending