metro
Zamfara: Troops rescue seven women, children from terrorists
Zamfara: Troops rescue seven women, children from terrorists
Troops of the Joint Task Force North West, Operation FANSAN YAMMA, have foiled separate terrorist abduction attempts in Zamfara State, rescuing civilians and neutralising an improvised explosive device (IED) planted along a major road.
The operations, conducted on August 17, 2026, occurred at different locations in the state as security forces intensified efforts to protect civilians, secure major roads and disrupt the activities of terrorist groups in Zamfara.
The Media Information Officer of the Joint Task Force North West, Operation FANSAN YAMMA, Lieutenant Colonel Aliyu Danja, disclosed the development in a statement issued on August 17.
Danja said troops of Sector 2 responded to an abduction incident along the Gurusu–Anka Road after receiving information about the attack.
According to him, the troops pursued the terrorists, forcing them to abandon their captives and flee into the surrounding area.
The military officer said the operation resulted in the rescue of seven victims comprising four women and three children.
He added that all seven victims were rescued unharmed.
The rescue came amid continuing security concerns along major roads in Zamfara, where armed groups have repeatedly targeted motorists and passengers.
READ ALSO:
- ‘No Electoral Agreement with ADC’ – Adeleke Rejects Collaboration Claims, Credits God
- Palliative Care, Not Abandonment: Doctor Clears the Air on Ogogo’s Stage-Four Cancer Treatment
- Lagos Pensioners Give Sanwo-Olu 19-Day Ultimatum: Implement Wage Award or Face ‘Mother of All Protests’
In a separate operation around Magazu Village in Tsafe Local Government Area, troops responded to information that terrorists were attempting to abduct motorists.
The troops moved swiftly to the area and engaged the attackers, forcing them to abandon their victims and escape into nearby bushes.
Danja said some of the rescued victims sustained gunshot wounds during the incident and were immediately evacuated to a medical facility for treatment.
The Magazu axis has previously witnessed similar incidents, making the area a major security concern for residents and road users.
Earlier reports indicated that troops of Operation FANSAN YAMMA had rescued 33 passengers abducted by terrorists around the Magazu area after engaging the attackers and forcing them to abandon their victims.
Meanwhile, troops also responded to the discovery of a terrorist-planted IED along the Gurusu–Gwashi Road in Bukkuyum Local Government Area.
The military said the area was immediately secured while an Explosive Ordnance Disposal team was deployed to handle the explosive device.
The team successfully neutralised the IED, preventing potential casualties among soldiers, motorists and other road users.
The discovery highlights the continuing security threat posed by explosive devices along some roads in Zamfara State, particularly routes used by civilians and security personnel.
The latest operations formed part of ongoing efforts by Operation FANSAN YAMMA to maintain security across its Joint Operations Area and prevent terrorists from freely operating in vulnerable communities and along major transportation routes.
Danja said the successful interventions demonstrated the vigilance and responsiveness of troops in protecting civilians, securing communities and keeping major routes safe from terrorist activities.
He said the Theatre Command would continue to maintain pressure on terrorist elements across the Joint Operations Area and deny them the freedom to threaten innocent citizens.
The command also urged members of the public to remain vigilant and provide security agencies with timely and credible information about suspicious movements and activities.
The latest operations underscore the importance of intelligence-led military action in tackling kidnapping and terrorism in Zamfara, particularly along routes that have repeatedly come under attack.
Zamfara: Troops rescue seven women, children from terrorists
![]()
metro
Palliative Care, Not Abandonment: Doctor Clears the Air on Ogogo’s Stage-Four Cancer Treatment
metro
Lagos Pensioners Give Sanwo-Olu 19-Day Ultimatum: Implement Wage Award or Face ‘Mother of All Protests’
metro
Chief Imam, 27 Others Killed as Lakurawa Terrorists Attack Sokoto Community During Friday Prayers
Chief Imam, 27 Others Killed as Lakurawa Terrorists Attack Sokoto Community During Friday Prayers
At least 28 people, including the Chief Imam of Ungushi Izala Jumu’at Mosque, Imam Aliyu, were killed when suspected Lakurawa terrorists attacked Ungushi community in Kebbe Local Government Area of Sokoto State on Friday evening during Jumu’ah prayers.
At least 28 people, including the Chief Imam of Ungushi Izala Jumu’at Mosque, Imam Aliyu, were killed when suspected Lakurawa terrorists attacked Ungushi community in Kebbe Local Government Area of Sokoto State on Friday evening during Jumu’ah prayers. The attack has triggered widespread displacement and heightened security concerns across Kebbe, with hundreds of residents fleeing their homes and over 300 cattle reportedly rustled from affected communities. The General Officer Commanding (GOC), 8 Division, Nigerian Army, Major General Bemgba Koughna, has visited the area to assess the security situation, while former Vice President Atiku Abubakar has called on the Federal Government to move beyond condolences and take decisive action.
According to residents and local sources, the assailants, armed with sophisticated weapons and believed to be members of the Lakurawa terrorist group, stormed Ungushi while worshippers were observing Friday prayers at about 2:15 pm. The Lakurawa group is suspected by researchers to be affiliated with the Islamic State in the Sahel (ISSP), a jihadist militia active primarily in Mali and Niger. A community leader who witnessed the attack described the horrific events to Daily Trust: “They parked their motorcycles in front of the mosque before dispersing worshippers and moving into the town, where they killed five people. After they left, we went to prepare for the burial of the victims. But they returned and killed two more people. Then they started coming from different directions, shooting continuously and surrounding the town.” Residents said the attackers remained in the community until about 1 am on Saturday before leaving, only to return in the morning and continue killing and slaughtering some residents. They were eventually forced to leave after security personnel arrived in the area. A resident, who spoke on condition of anonymity for security reasons, described the victims as innocent civilians: “These are ordinary people. They are farmers, traders, religious leaders and family members. They have done nothing to deserve this.” The killing of Imam Aliyu, a respected religious leader in the community, has particularly shocked residents and generated widespread concern.
READ ALSO:
- Veteran Nollywood Actor Ogogo Battles Stage-4 Cancer as Daughters Beg for Treatment
- Over 50 Killed, Scores Injured as Gunmen Attack Mangu Communities in Plateau
- WAEC 2026 results: Schools raise alarm over alleged grading anomalies
Confirming the incident, Sokoto State Police Command spokesman DSP Ahmed Rufai said it was difficult to ascertain the actual number of victims. He, however, confirmed that no fewer than 28 corpses were recovered following the attack. However, differing casualty figures have emerged from various sources. Reports from the community suggest that residents recovered and buried 32 bodies from the attack. Residents also reportedly killed 13 of the assailants during the confrontation, although the attackers later retrieved the bodies of their colleagues. The attack in Ungushi followed a separate incident on Friday in which an unspecified number of soldiers were reportedly killed in Kebbe town, an event that may have triggered the subsequent violence in surrounding communities.
The aftermath of the attack has forced hundreds of residents to flee their homes, with women, children and elderly persons among those displaced. The displaced persons reportedly began arriving in Kebbe town from about 8 pm on Saturday, with many spending the night in the rain after abandoning their homes with little or no belongings. “People started arriving in Kebbe around 8 pm yesterday. Women, children and elderly people are among them. Some of them spent the night in the rain because there was nowhere for them to stay. More people are still coming this morning,” a resident told Punch. Local sources also reported that suspected bandits rustled more than 300 cattle and seven camels from Ungushi and neighbouring Gwandi communities during the attacks. The attackers also reportedly invaded Umbutu, Maikurhuna, Gwandi, Girkau and Zugu communities, where they stole large numbers of livestock and other valuables. “People are no longer sleeping peacefully. Families are leaving their homes because they fear another attack. We need urgent intervention before more communities are deserted,” a source told Punch.
Amid the renewed threats, the General Officer Commanding (GOC), 8 Division, Nigerian Army, Major General Bemgba Koughna, visited the Forward Operating Base in Kebbe on Sunday to assess the security situation and reassure residents of the readiness of troops to confront the threats. The visit was prompted by intelligence reports that terrorists involved in Friday’s attack were still close to the area. Koughna engaged community leaders and residents, listened to their concerns, and reviewed the security situation in the area. “Troops remain fully deployed, highly alert and operationally focused on protecting lives and property,” the GOC said. He added that the Nigerian Army had adjusted its security architecture to prevent further infiltration by terrorists and protect vulnerable communities along the Sokoto-Kebbi border corridor. “The Nigerian Army remains unwavering in its determination to respond swiftly and decisively to any emerging threats,” Koughna said. “We will continue to maintain a robust presence in this area and ensure that our troops remain ready to respond to any threat to the peace and security of the people.” The GOC urged residents not to panic and appealed for stronger collaboration between the military and communities, particularly through timely sharing of credible intelligence. “Community support remains a critical component in detecting, disrupting and dismantling terrorist networks before they can launch attacks,” he said. He also urged community leaders and residents to report suspicious movements, unfamiliar persons and other activities that could pose security threats. The GOC reiterated the commitment of troops to protecting lives, property and critical infrastructure in Kebbe and other vulnerable communities within the operational area. “We will not allow criminal elements to intimidate our people or disrupt their livelihoods. Our troops are prepared and will continue to operate with determination and professionalism,” he said. The visit was disclosed in a statement issued by the Acting Deputy Director, Army Public Relations, 8 Division, Nigerian Army and Sector 2, Operation Fansan Yamma, Lt Col Olaniyi Osoba.
READ ALSO:
- Trump Threatens to Bomb Oman Over Strait of Hormuz as US-Iran Deadline Expires
- Osun guber: APC rejects Adeleke’s victory, begins audit of INEC results
- Court Freezes 71 Banks’ Accounts Over N1.34bn Access Bank Cyber Fraud
Former Vice-President and presidential candidate of the African Democratic Congress, Atiku Abubakar, has urged the Federal Government to move beyond condolence messages and take decisive action to prevent further killings. In a statement on his verified X account, Atiku described the victims as innocent Nigerians whose deaths had further highlighted the worsening insecurity across the country. “I am devastated by the killing of 32 innocent Nigerians in Ungushi community, Kebbe LGA of Sokoto State,” he said. He expressed sympathy with the bereaved families and residents of Sokoto State, praying for the repose of the deceased and strength for their loved ones. However, the former Vice President said condolences from government officials were no longer sufficient in the face of recurring attacks and killings across the country. “But condolences are no longer enough. How many more Nigerians must be slaughtered before this government treats the protection of human life as an emergency?” he asked. Atiku said the frequency of such attacks was alarming, warning that the government must not become comfortable with issuing statements after every massacre without taking effective measures to protect citizens. “These killings have become frighteningly recurrent, and a government that cannot protect its citizens must not become comfortable issuing statements after every massacre,” he said. He called on the Federal Government to strengthen intelligence gathering, secure vulnerable communities and ensure that those responsible for the killings were arrested and prosecuted. “The Federal Government must move from condolences to action: strengthen intelligence, secure vulnerable communities and bring the perpetrators to justice,” Atiku said. He stressed that the primary responsibility of government was to protect the lives and property of citizens, adding that Nigerians should not continue to bury their loved ones while those entrusted with their security offered excuses. “The first duty of government is to protect life. Nigerians cannot continue to bury their loved ones while those entrusted with their security offer excuses,” he said. Atiku concluded by praying for peace in Sokoto State and across the country, urging the government to take urgent measures to prevent further loss of lives: “May Allah comfort Sokoto and restore peace to our nation.”
Residents have called for sustained military presence and intelligence-led operations to prevent further attacks and restore confidence in the affected communities. A community leader said continued attacks were disrupting social and economic activities in the area. “People cannot farm, children are afraid to go to school, and families are abandoning their homes. If nothing is done urgently, we may witness the complete displacement of these communities,” he said. The Army’s operational assessment formed part of ongoing efforts to strengthen security around Kebbe and other vulnerable communities following recent incidents in the area. Security forces have been conducting operations against Lakurawa and other armed groups across Sokoto, Kebbi and other parts of the North-west under Operation FANSAN YAMMA.
Chief Imam, 27 Others Killed as Lakurawa Terrorists Attack Sokoto Community During Friday Prayers
![]()
-
Sports1 day agoArsenal thrash Man City 3-0 to win Community Shield
-
Politics3 days agoAPC Humiliates Aregbesola, Wins His Polling Unit in Osun Governorship Election
-
metro1 day agoPolice to prosecute Kogi man for allegedly setting wife ablaze
-
metro1 day agoCustoms Names Importers of 399 Pump-Action Rifles, Hands Over Weapons to NSA Office
-
metro1 day agoNDLEA arrests businessman with cocaine, seizes N3.6bn drugs in Lagos
-
Politics2 days agoBreaking: Adeleke Crushes APC’s Oyebamiji, Wins Second Term in Osun
-
Politics3 days agoOsun election: Adeleke widens lead as Oyinlola, Omisore lose polling units
-
metro1 day agoOsun Woman Found Dead With Severed Wrist Inside Church
