metro
Don’t lose hope, all will be well again, Abiara tells Nigerians
Founder of Christ Apostolic Church, Agbala Itura, Prophet Samuel Abiara, has urged Nigerians not to lose hope in the country, saying all will be well again.
as he announced the 39th edition of Jesus Festival being hosted by the church.
The festival has been slated to hold from December 6 to 12 at the church’s headquarters in Ibadan, Oyo State.
A coterie of top church leaders has been slated to speak at the event. Many top gospel artists are also expected to grace the occasion which will draw participants from across the world.
Abiara who addressed newsmen at the Lagos branch of the church on Monday pleaded with Nigerians not to lose hope in the country.
He said all would be well and called on Nigerians in the diaspora to get set to come back home and be part of the good things God would do.
The 79-year old prophet and former General Evangelist of the CAC expressed confidence that Nigeria would overcome its present challenges.
He said, “I want to assure all Nigerians that all will be well. The present crisis we are facing is a phase. It will become history and we all will have cause to rejoice. I can assure you that the future will be okay”
Prophet Abiara said there is no country that does not have challenges. “Who would have believed 9/11 would happen in the US. From time to time nations go through crises. Ours may be man-made crises but then it’s a phase. I believe we will overcome this phase and move to a better and higher ground.”
He urged Nigerians to put their mind at rest and put their hope in God for a better country. “That is the way to start building a better country. We must first hope in God, put our trust in him. Then we must collectively work hard to bring an end to the issues that are setting us back. We have no other country but this country. We can’t afford to rubbish it all the time,” he said.
The CAC prophet said many have often accused him of being too patriotic and patronising of the government. “Some people even think the government gives me money. But I don’t go near their money. I have never applied for a grant from the government even for my foundation. I just believe we need to be positive about our country and work for its progress,” he said
He urged Nigerians not to listen to prophets of doom who don’t see good things about Nigeria. He assured that “Nigeria will be great again.”
Abiara also seized the opportunity of the media chat to call on the government to listen to the cries of the masses.
He said, “That we hope for a good country does not give room for the government to do as they like. Government must listen to the people who elected them into office. They can’t afford to ignore the cries of the people. The youth population is a critical segment of the country.
“Government must give priority to them and hear them out. God can raise a young person to lead as in the future. So government must not take them for granted.”
On the Jesus festival, Abiara said when God gave him the vision 39 years ago, it was primarily to create a platform where people from all tribes and denominations will come to honour and celebrate Jesus.
“The festival is a festival of Jesus. We believe coming together to praise the name of Jesus will bring healing and progress to Nigeria. Yearly we gather and invite people from all walks of life to celebrate Jesus with us.”
The festival in time past had been graced by the late Archbishop Benson Idahosa, Rev Benny Hinn and a host of top church leaders.
This time, Bishop Wale Oke, Pastor Mathew Ashimolowo, Rev Esther Ajayi and Rev Funke Adejumo are expected to be at the event to preach.
Also expected at the event are the President of the Christ Apostolic Church, Pastor S. O.Oladele and the General Evangelist of the church, Prophet Hezekiah Oladeji and Prophet Funso Akande.
An array of gospel artists including Evangelist Tope Alabi, Bisi Alawiye, Psalmos, Yetunde Are and Elijah Akintunde are expected to minister in songs at the event. Woli Deborah of Ephphatah In’t Music Ministry and Evang. Dorcas Awolumate are also expected at the weekend-long event.
Prophet Abiara said Nigeria is blessed with great preachers of the gospel and gospel artists. He expressed confidence that the week-long programme will bring transformation and healing to Nigeria.
The programme will feature special prayers sessions for some specific individuals and also for the nation. There will be both morning and afternoon sessions featuring teaching and exposition of God’s word.
The Chairman of the Planning Committee, Bishop Isaac Abiara, said adequate security arrangements have been put in place for the festival.
“We have contacted the police and we have been assured of adequate security. We will also observe the covid-19 protocols. Adequate accommodation is being put in place for the programme,” he said.
metro
Pastor Sentenced to Death by Hanging for Murdering Landlord in Akwa Ibom
Pastor Sentenced to Death by Hanging for Murdering Landlord in Akwa Ibom
Prince Emmanuel Umoh, the resident pastor of Living Faith Church Chapel, Ifa Ikot Ubo–Ifa Ikot Okpon Branch in Uyo, Akwa Ibom State, has been sentenced to death by hanging for the murder of his landlord, Gabriel Bassey, a 500‑level civil engineering student at the University of Uyo.
Umoh was found guilty by Justice Gabriel Ette of the Akwa Ibom State High Court after evidence showed he fatally stabbed Bassey on December 21, 2020, inside the estate in Ifa Ikot Ubo, a community in Uyo Local Government Area. The judgment was delivered following a trial that lasted more than five years.
The prosecution established that Bassey had moved into his late mother’s property in Ifa Ikot Ubo to secure the family estate and be closer to school. The property previously housed a nursery school his mother built before her death in December 2019.
Court records show that part of the estate — a hall connected to a two‑bedroom apartment occupied by Bassey and his younger brother, Emmanuel Bassey — was leased to Living Faith Church for worship and community use at an annual rent of ₦150,000, with permission from Bassey’s father, Emana Bassey, a retired principal. The church began using the hall before the full rent was paid.
Umoh, who was later appointed the chapel’s first resident pastor, was given a spare key to the deceased’s apartment to allow access to church property stored inside. Evidence presented in court revealed that after this arrangement, personal items belonging to the deceased’s late mother — including clothing, dishes and valuables — began to go missing.
READ ALSO:
- Scientists Warn Popular Hair Extensions Contain Cancer‑Linked Chemicals
- Keyamo Defends APC Amid Public Debate, Says Party ‘Not Made Up of Saints’
- Lagos Police Arrest Officers After Fatal Alagbado Shooting Amid Public Outcry
The father, Mr. Emana Bassey, testified that he initially approved the spare key arrangement. However, when items started disappearing, he instructed his son to return the key. The defendant claimed he had lost the key, prompting concerns over security. The church’s senior pastor, Owoidoho Akpan, who testified for the defence, gave the Bassey family ₦5,000 to replace the locks. After the locks were changed, no further items were reported missing, the court heard.
Additional tensions arose between Umoh and Bassey over the use of rent funds supposedly meant for hall renovations, with disagreements escalating in the weeks leading up to the murder.
On the day of the incident, neighbours observed Umoh entering the premises shortly before cries of “Jesus” were heard. Minutes later, he was seen wearing a blood‑stained white garment, claiming he had fallen while fixing a banner. Bassey was not seen alive again.
Five days later, on December 26, 2020, Bassey’s decomposing body was found in his room, wrapped in a mat with multiple stab wounds and a butcher’s knife beside him. Forensic evidence and witness testimony linked Umoh to the crime, with bloodstains on his clothing and the fact that he was the last person seen with the deceased.
Umoh was arraigned on December 6, 2021, on a single count of murder. He pleaded not guilty, and the prosecution called six witnesses, including members of the Bassey family and church officials, to support its case.
In his lengthy judgment, Justice Ette described the crime as deeply troubling and a betrayal of trust, particularly because it was committed by a religious leader on church grounds.
“Life is sacred, and those who represent God on earth should teach that. It is an irony and quite appalling when a man who claims to be the representative of the divine on earth stoops so low as to denigrate the very essence of his calling and take someone’s life on the premises of the church,” the judge said.
He added that individuals who violate public trust in this way threaten society and must be punished in accordance with the law.
Having found the defendant guilty beyond reasonable doubt, the court pronounced sentence:
“I hereby sentence you to death by hanging.”
The conviction brings to an end nearly six years of legal proceedings and underscores the rule of law in Akwa Ibom State, even when the accused holds a position of religious leadership.
Pastor Sentenced to Death by Hanging for Murdering Landlord in Akwa Ibom
metro
Keyamo Defends APC Amid Public Debate, Says Party ‘Not Made Up of Saints’
Keyamo Defends APC Amid Public Debate, Says Party ‘Not Made Up of Saints’
Festus Keyamo, the Minister of Aviation and Aerospace Development, has defended the ruling All Progressives Congress (APC), admitting the party is “not made up of saints” but insisting it remains a better political alternative than the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP). His statement has sparked public debate and widespread reactions on social media as Nigerians discuss the credibility of political parties ahead of the 2027 general elections.
Keyamo shared a video clip and message on his verified X account on Saturday, clarifying that a 2017 interview had been edited to omit key parts of his statement. He said the APC may not be perfect, but it offers better direction and governance for the country. He stated, “I will be a fool to say APC is a party of saints. Anyone who declares their party as a party of saints will also be a fool. But on the balance, the APC still holds the best hope for Nigeria, and we cannot return to the era of the PDP, which had leaders who are now contesting for the presidency.”
The minister highlighted President Asiwaju Bola Ahmed Tinubu as the only political figure from that era who never defected to the PDP, emphasizing continuity and loyalty within the APC.
READ ALSO:
- Lagos Police Arrest Officers After Fatal Alagbado Shooting Amid Public Outcry
- Armed Bandits Kill 30, Kidnap Villagers in Zamfara Attack
- Agege Council Announces Free 3kg Cooking Gas Refill for 4,000 Residents
The statement drew diverse reactions on social media. Supporters of the APC praised Keyamo’s honesty, describing his comments as a realistic assessment of political parties. One user wrote: “Acknowledging flaws shows integrity. APC is still the party that can drive progress.” Critics and PDP supporters argued that Keyamo’s admission reinforces perceptions of corruption and mismanagement within the APC. Some commented: “If APC is flawed, why should Nigerians trust it? Accountability is missing.” Political analysts and civil society advocates called for transparency and actionable reforms, noting that admissions of imperfection alone cannot guarantee better governance.
Keyamo’s defense of the APC comes amid increasing political activity ahead of the 2027 elections. The party faces scrutiny from defections, public criticism, and debates about its leadership. Meanwhile, the PDP continues to position itself as a viable opposition, aiming to regain political ground in the coming polls. Analysts view Keyamo’s statement as part of a strategy to portray the APC as a pragmatic and forward-looking party, contrasting with the PDP’s past political record. However, many argue that credible reform and accountability measures are necessary to win public trust.
Keyamo Defends APC Amid Public Debate, Says Party ‘Not Made Up of Saints’
metro
Lagos Police Arrest Officers After Fatal Alagbado Shooting Amid Public Outcry
Lagos Police Arrest Officers After Fatal Alagbado Shooting Amid Public Outcry
The Lagos State Police Command has arrested officers involved in a fatal shooting incident in Alagbado, Lagos, which reportedly killed at least two civilians during a police operation. The Commissioner of Police, CP Olohundare Jimoh, has ordered a thorough investigation into the incident, according to SP Abimbola Adebisi, the command’s spokesperson.
In a post shared on X (formerly Twitter), Adebisi said:
“The officers involved in the unfortunate shooting incident that occurred today in Alagbado have been arrested and taken into custody. The Commissioner of Police has ordered a thorough and intensive investigation into the incident, as well as the adequate deployment of personnel to forestall any breakdown of law and order. Normalcy has been restored to the area.”
Preliminary reports indicate the shooting occurred during a police operation targeting suspected internet fraudsters, locally known as Yahoo boys, along the AIT area of Alagbado. Witnesses said two civilians were struck by gunfire and later died from their injuries, raising concerns about the use of force by security operatives in populated areas.
READ ALSO:
- Armed Bandits Kill 30, Kidnap Villagers in Zamfara Attack
- Agege Council Announces Free 3kg Cooking Gas Refill for 4,000 Residents
- Tinubu Summons Aiyedatiwa Over APC Congress Violence, Monarch’s Murder
Residents shared their reactions on social media, with many expressing shock and anger:
- “Finally, the officers are arrested, but we need full transparency in this investigation,” one user wrote.
- Another tweeted: “This is not the first time innocent civilians have been injured or killed by police in Lagos. Measures must be taken to protect lives during operations.”
- Advocacy groups urged the authorities to ensure justice and accountability, emphasizing that arrests alone are not enough.
Historical Context of Police Shootings in Lagos
The Alagbado shooting is the latest in a series of controversial police incidents in Lagos, including:
- 2020 Lekki Toll Gate Shooting during #EndSARS protests, where security forces killed and injured demonstrators.
- 2021 Ajah Shooting involving the death of a pregnant lawyer during a police checkpoint operation.
- Other incidents in Ojota, Murtala Mohammed Airport, and Onikan, where civilians were injured or killed during police enforcement operations.
These events have fueled public scrutiny of police conduct, with frequent calls for independent oversight, clear rules of engagement, and accountability for law enforcement officers in Lagos State.
The Lagos State Police Command has assured residents that the investigation will be thorough, justice will be served, and measures have been implemented to prevent further civilian casualties.
Lagos Police Arrest Officers After Fatal Alagbado Shooting Amid Public Outcry
-
International2 days agoCanada Opens New Express Entry Draw for Nigerian Workers, Others
-
Politics19 hours agoPeter Obi Launches ‘Village Boys Movement’ to Rival Tinubu’s City Boys Ahead of 2027
-
News3 days agoKorope Drivers Shut Down Lekki–Epe Expressway Over Lagos Ban (Video)
-
News1 day agoPolice to Arrest TikToker Mirabel After She Recants False Rape Claim
-
Health3 days agoRamadan Health Tips: Six Ways to Stay Hydrated While Fasting
-
Entertainment3 days agoActress Destiny Etiko Breaks Silence on Alleged Nollywood Betrayal
-
International1 day agoEpstein, Ex-Israeli PM Named in Alleged Profiteering From Boko Haram Crisis
-
metro2 days agoOsun Awards 55.6km Iwo–Osogbo–Ibadan Road Project to Three Contractors


