Cooking gas price drops, supply rises, govt projects further decrease - Newstrends
Connect with us

metro

Cooking gas price drops, supply rises, govt projects further decrease

Published

on

The Federal Government on Thursday said it was putting measures in place to ensure further reduction in the cost of Liquefied Petroleum Gas, popularly called cooking gas.

It disclosed this while reacting to the recent marginal drop in the cost of cooking gas.

According to findings, the price of 12.5kg LPG has dropped from N8,800 to between N8400 and N8200. In some outlets, the price of the commodity dropped to between N7,800 and N8,000 as of Thursday.

In November, The PUNCH exclusively reported that the cost of LPG kept rising in 2021, jumping by more than 240 per cent between January and October 2021.

The development forced some LPG users to shift to charcoal or firewood, as consumers of the commodity raised the alarm over the persistent hike in its price.

The product had increased by 240 per cent for 12.5kg, moving up from N3,000 to N10,200 within the first 10 months of 2021.

“It is in government’s interest for the price to go down consistently and there are certain initiatives that are being taken at the moment, which hopefully will see to further drops in price regardless of the international cost,” the Programme Manager, National LPG Expansion Implementation Plan, Office of the Vice President, Dayo Adeshina, stated.

READ ALSO:

When asked to state one of such initiatives, he replied, “The discussions are still ongoing and there are certain things that you can do to stimulate the market which will have an effect. One of them also has to do with storage.”

About 65 per cent of the LPG is imported into Nigeria, while domestic production accounts for 35 per cent, hence the cost of the commodity in the global market affects the price locally.

Adeshina told our correspondent that the international price of the LPG had risen so high in October last year, but dipped towards the end of 2021 into January 2022, as this also contributed to the recent drop in the LPG price across the country.

He said, “If you look at the international pricing of the LPG, and that might change again because it is not a fixed price, in January last year, it was $250 per tonne.

“It rose to $875 per tonne by the end of October and started dropping by the end of November into December, and came down to around $500 per tonne at some point but went up again in December to $708 per tonne.”

He added, “Now, as of the third of January this year, that figure is $744 per tonne. So you can see there is a drop from about $800 around November to $700 in January. The issue here is that the price has been fluctuating.

“Yes you have the effects of Customs and the position of the VAT that made people pay tax for what they imported even in 2019 and 2020. Of course, some importers stopped importing, but there is a resolution going on to resolve that aspect.”

Punch

 

metro

Grand Chief Imam of Oyo Pays Courtesy Visit to Customs Zonal Deputy Controller in Ibadan

Published

on

Grand Chief Imam of Oyo Pays Courtesy Visit to Customs Zonal Deputy Controller in Ibadan

The Grand Chief Imam of Oyo Land, Sheikh Al-Imam Barrister Bilal Husayn Akinola Akeugberu, on Tuesday paid a courtesy visit to the Zonal Deputy Controller of the Nigeria Customs Service, DC Wale Moses Adewole, at the Oyo and Osun Zonal Directorate Office, Agodi Secretariat, Ibadan.

The visit, which took place on February 17, 2026, was marked by warm reception and professional camaraderie, underscoring a shared commitment to institutional cooperation and national development.

According to a statement issued by the Media Office of the Grand Chief Imam of Oyo Land, the engagement forms part of the Imam’s ongoing outreach to key government institutions aimed at strengthening moral values, civic responsibility, and harmonious relationships between religious leadership and public agencies.

In his remarks, Sheikh Akeugberu commended DC Adewole and officers of the Nigeria Customs Service for what he described as their dedication to safeguarding the nation’s economic frontiers, facilitating legitimate trade, and contributing significantly to national revenue generation.

He emphasized that integrity, transparency, and accountability remain indispensable pillars of effective public service, noting that religious and public institutions must work collaboratively to promote ethical standards within society.

The Imam further reiterated that Islam promotes justice, fairness, and lawful conduct in all spheres of life. He assured the Customs leadership of the Muslim community’s continued support in encouraging compliance with lawful regulations and fostering a culture of discipline and responsibility.

Responding, DC Wale Moses Adewole expressed appreciation for the visit, describing it as inspiring and encouraging. He acknowledged the important role religious leaders play in shaping moral consciousness, patriotism, and discipline among citizens.

Adewole reaffirmed the commitment of the Oyo and Osun Zonal Directorate to professionalism, fairness, and efficient service delivery in line with the mandate of the Nigeria Customs Service.

The meeting, described as cordial and intellectually engaging, concluded with special prayers offered by the Grand Chief Imam for divine guidance, wisdom, and continued success for the Customs leadership and the entire Service.

The visit, stakeholders say, reinforces the collective aspiration for a peaceful, law-abiding, and economically progressive Oyo State and Nigeria at large.

 

Grand Chief Imam of Oyo Pays Courtesy Visit to Customs Zonal Deputy Controller in Ibadan

Continue Reading

metro

Deadlock at National Assembly as House Snubs Electoral Act Bill Meeting on E-Transmission Clause

Published

on

House of Representatives

Deadlock at National Assembly as House Snubs Electoral Act Bill Meeting on E-Transmission Clause

Tension escalated at the National Assembly on Monday after members of the House of Representatives failed to attend a joint conference committee meeting with the Senate aimed at harmonising the Electoral Act (Repeal and Re-enactment) Bill, 2026. The absence of House lawmakers stalled efforts to reconcile differences over Clause 60(3), which governs the electronic transmission of election results.

The session, initially scheduled for 11:00 a.m., did not proceed as senators waited in vain for their House counterparts. Later, senators reconvened at the office of Senator Simon Lalong, chairman of the Senate Committee on Electoral Matters, but the stalemate persisted. A second attempt in the afternoon also failed, with only a few lawmakers present, leaving the harmonisation process in limbo.

At the core of the dispute is the mandatory electronic transmission of results from polling units. The House version requires real-time uploading of results to INEC’s Result Viewing Portal (IREV), while the Senate adopted a more cautious approach, allowing electronic transmission but making the physical result sheet (Form EC8A) the primary document where network challenges occur. Senators cited concerns about uneven internet coverage and power supply gaps, stressing the need for a pragmatic approach nationwide.

The disagreement comes less than a year before the February 20, 2027 general elections, rekindling debates over electoral credibility. Memories of the 2023 presidential election, when delays in IREV uploads triggered widespread criticism, legal disputes, and political tension, remain fresh. Analysts warn that failure to harmonise the law could undermine public confidence in future elections.

READ ALSO:

Telecom operators have insisted that infrastructure is sufficient to support electronic transmission. The Association of Licensed Telecom Operators of Nigeria (ALTON) highlighted that even basic 2G networks can reliably transmit results, while broadband penetration now exceeds 50 percent, with over 109 million active subscriptions nationwide. Experts say that transparency, system testing, and public trust will be crucial for the success of reforms ahead of 2027.

Civil society groups, including Situation Room Nigeria and Action Aid, have protested outside the National Assembly, urging lawmakers to adopt mandatory real-time electronic transmission to ensure transparency and minimise the risk of election manipulation. Youth and reform organisations also stress that allowing manual fallback options could reintroduce vulnerabilities that past reforms sought to eliminate.

The impasse highlights the importance of legal clarity and political will in safeguarding Nigeria’s electoral integrity. Observers note that beyond infrastructure, the cooperation of lawmakers, INEC, and security agencies will determine whether the next general election restores public trust or exacerbates existing doubts.

Deadlock at National Assembly as House Snubs Electoral Act Bill Meeting on E-Transmission Clause

Continue Reading

metro

Maikori Accuses Ex‑Governor El‑Rufai of Persecution Over 2017 Tweet

Published

on

Audu Maikori, Founder and Chairman of Chocolate City Entertainment,
Audu Maikori, Founder and Chairman of Chocolate City Entertainment,

Maikori Accuses Ex‑Governor El‑Rufai of Persecution Over 2017 Tweet

Audu Maikori, Founder and Chairman of Chocolate City Entertainment, has accused former Nasir El‑Rufai of persecuting him in connection with his 2017 social media post, saying that the handling of the matter — including his arrest and subsequent fallout — extended far beyond what was warranted and reflected a broader pattern of intimidation against critics. Maikori spoke on Arise Television’s Prime Time programme on Monday, using his right of reply after El‑Rufai addressed the controversy in a separate appearance the previous Friday. He acknowledged the post that triggered the crisis, explained how he retracted it when he realised it was false, and insisted that he was singled out and pursued long after the matter was legally closed. “It’s not personal. It is about setting the record straight and getting the facts right,” Maikori said. “Ex‑governor El‑Rufai has a penchant for recreating stories. Everything he said is untrue. And it’s important for posterity that the record reflects the truth.”

On February 18, 2017, Maikori was detained by operatives of the Department of State Services (DSS) following tweets in which he claimed that five students of the College of Education, Gidan Waya had been killed in violence in Southern Kaduna. The post generated widespread attention and controversy, leading to criticism from El‑Rufai, then governor of Kaduna State, who said the claims were unverified, potentially inflammatory, and could aggravate security tensions if left unchecked. El‑Rufai argued at the time that publishing unverified figures could heighten distrust among communities and jeopardise lives and property — a position consistent with broader government efforts to curb misinformation during periods of insecurity. The DSS subsequently detained Maikori and others perceived to be fuelling the narrative.

READ ALSO:

Maikori said that as soon as he realised the information was inaccurate, he acted to correct the record. He and his driver went to the first police station available in Lekki, Lagos, where he filed a formal statement explaining that the original claim was based on inaccurate information from the driver, who later confessed to having made up the story for personal reasons. Maikori said he contacted the Attorney General of Kaduna State, Amina Sijuade, to notify her of his intention to retract the post. Maikori said a detailed retraction was published on 4 February 2017, including an apology not only to El‑Rufai but to all those affected.

Despite this, Maikori alleges that El‑Rufai did not let the matter rest. He said that after he was released — following the driver’s confession and the DSS investigation — El‑Rufai continued to publicly associate him with violence, alleging in other forums that Maikori’s tweet was linked to deaths in the region and hinting at prosecution. Maikori described this as unwarranted interference beyond the authority of a state governor, noting that the police discharged him after clarifying the facts.

Maikori argued that the courts subsequently confirmed that his arrest had been unlawful. Both the Federal High Court and the Court of Appeal reportedly awarded him damages, ruling against the legality of his detention. He said El‑Rufai then took the matter to the Supreme Court, where the case is still pending, with Maikori confident of prevailing. He said any damages awarded “will be used to support journalists and others who lack access to legal representation.”

Maikori challenged what he called a double standard in how El‑Rufai handled public information. He cited a 2019 incident in Kaduna’s Kajuru Local Government Area, where the ex‑governor publicly released casualty figures that were later challenged by security authorities as unverified. Maikori said that despite warnings from the state’s Police Commissioner, El‑Rufai repeated and amplified the figures without issuing a retraction or apology, even as others were detained. He also referred to the arrest of nine elders of the Adara community, whom he said were jailed for extended periods without prompt bail or clear evidence — illustrating, in his view, a pattern of targeting critics and communities without adequate due process.

He also cited additional cases under El‑Rufai’s administration, including the prolonged detention of Charles Steve Kefferson and alleged harassment of his own lawyer, Gloria Ballas, whom he said faced intimidation compelling her to seek court protection.

While defending his motivations, Maikori criticised what he called El‑Rufai’s leadership approach, contrasting it with the record of the current Kaduna State Governor, Uba Sani, whom he said had restored peace and improved security within a short period compared with the previous eight years. Maikori suggested that El‑Rufai’s refusal to acknowledge mistakes stemmed partly from political disappointment after failing to secure a ministerial appointment and losing political influence. He described this pattern of behaviour — defending positions even when disproven — as “sour grapes,” arguing that it reflected an unwillingness to separate personal ambition from public duty.

Maikori confirmed that he is now a member of the ruling All Progressives Congress (APC) but noted that the dispute dates back to when both he and El‑Rufai belonged to the same party, suggesting the issue transcends partisan labels and speaks to broader concerns about leadership, accountability, and free expression.

Maikori Accuses Ex‑Governor El‑Rufai of Persecution Over 2017 Tweet

Continue Reading
HostArmada Affordable Cloud SSD Shared Hosting
HostArmada - Affordable Cloud SSD Web Hosting

Trending