metro
Families Paid N800m To Secure Release Of 7 Kaduna Train Captives
Eight hundred million naira was paid to the terrorists holding captives seized from the AK9 train service attacked on the Abuja–Kaduna route before the additional seven victims were released on Saturday, some families of the victims and other sources knowledgeable of the deal told Daily Trust yesterday.
The released victims were among the dozens of passengers abducted on March 28 by gunmen who derailed the moving train.
No organisation has yet claimed responsibility for the attack but security sources and researchers attributed the daring attack to remnants of Boko Haram working in cahoots with members of the Darul Salam, another group mostly populated by Fulani youths dislodged from Niger and Nasarawa States at different times.
Some however attributed the attack to the Islamic State West Africa (ISWAP) though, atypical of the group, they have not publicly laid claim to it.
The release of the seven victims came amid heightened fears that the terrorists would kill all those in their custody over the alleged failure of the federal government to respond to their demands.
On Tuesday, Daily Trust reported that the captors of the train passengers had sent an audio clip to victims’ families threatening to kill the captives if the families were unwilling to strike a deal with them.
READ ALSO:
- My three months in terrors den was hellish, says UBEB director
- Finally Tinubu names Shettima running mate, after Masari withdrawal
- 2023: Tinubu says competence, fairness influenced Shettima’s choice, more than religion
It was reliably gathered that families of each of the six Nigerian victims paid N100 million while the captors pegged the ransom for the Pakistani at N200 million which was also paid.
Our sources said the terrorists collected the ransom in naira and US dollars.
“Only N200 million was collected in naira, the remaining N600 million was paid in the equivalent of US dollars,” one of our sources said.
Those released were identified as Muhammad Daiyabu Paki, Bosede Olurotimi, Abubakar Zubairu, Alhassan Sule, Sadiq Ango Abdullahi, Aliyu Usman and Muhammad Abuzar Afzal, the Pakistani.
“All the families of the victims felt abandoned by the federal government and therefore had to pay for the release of their loved ones,” another source close to one of the released “The truth is that the FG is indifferent to our plight…Those in power don’t care if the captives are all killed.
“That is why we sold our property and raised the money. It is the same for the families of all those released. We all paid through our nose but Alhamdulillah, it is worth it,” he said.
Daily Trust reports that the lead negotiator for the release of the victims, Kaduna-based newspaper publisher, Tukur Mamu, had on Saturday announced that he secured the release of the seven abductees through mediation as he was silent on any ransom paid.
Mamu, a media consultant to Sheikh Ahmad Gumi, had last week announced his withdrawal from negotiating with the terrorists due to the alleged government’s nonchalant attitude to the plight of the train abductees.
He, however, said he had to continue with the mediation because of immense pressure and appeal by the relations and loved ones of the victims.
Previously, the abductors had released three batches of the captives, including managing director of the Bank of Agriculture, Alwan Hassan, a group of eleven victims and a pregnant woman released alone.
A security source told one of our correspondents that the federal government rarely secures the release of any captive.
“Government is not amenable to releasing terrorists in their custody because of some international convention.
“It is however sad that in Nigeria, while we don’t agree to prisoner swap most of the time, the terrorists always have their way as evident in the recent attack on Kuje Prison where many high profile terrorists were released.
“We don’t have the capacity to protect our prison facilities and we don’t have the capacity to protect the citizens. Hundreds of terrorists have been set free in various prisons…It is unfortunate,” he said.
How B/Haram members partnered bandits for train attack
One of the released captors had, at the weekend, painted sordid details of their journey to the terrorists’ den and life under the insurgents.
According to him, the attack on the train was a collaborative operation between the B/Haram elements who held them and some bandits familiar with the train.
“They entered into an alliance with the bandits so as to benefit from their numbers and their familiarity with the train. In fact, even the location where we were held in the forests around Birnin Gwari they told us it was not their territory, they got permission from some bandits to keep us there,” he said.
READ ALSO:
- 2023: Tinubu/Pam Ticket Will Address Religious, Ethnic Questions – Northern Group
- Disco to pay community N20m damages for blackout
- Policemen threaten to label young man IPOB member, extort N600,500
The source, who craved anonymity, said the location where they were held was an open forest with only three huts within the vicinity.
“The men shared two huts while the women and kids used the other one. There were 20 of us in the hut I stayed in as of the time of our release on Saturday. They treated us fairly well without maltreating anyone, other than that first time they lashed us up when their leader called Malam Baffa came to see us immediately after we arrived.
“On some days they would slaughter a cow for us. The latest was the one they killed to celebrate the Sallah. They also preached to us every time either by themselves or through playing recorded preaching including by some prominent clerics,” he said.
‘Captors behind Kuje jailbreak, they jubilated on return’
The source also confirmed that the kidnappers of the travellers were the ones behind the jailbreak at Kuje Medium Security Correctional Centre on the outskirts of Abuja.
He said there was wild jubilation after the Tuesday night jailbreak when those who participated in the attack returned to their enclave with some of the freed prisoners.
The attack on the correctional centre led to the escape of hundreds of prisoners held in the facility, including at least 69 Boko Haram suspects, according to officials.
A day after the attack ISWAP claimed responsibility and released a 33-second video showing its men in action during the siege on the facility.
I saw hell in kidnappers’ den – FCT UBEB chair
FCT Director of the Universal Basic Education Board (UBEB), Dr Hassan Suleiman, who was among those released from the kidnappers’ den said that he did not pray that his worst enemy should experience what he went through in the hands of the terrorists.
Dr Suleiman, while narrating his experience in an audio message circulated on WhatsApp obtained by our reporter on Sunday, said, he went through the valley of death.
He recounted that he was on board the ill-fated train from Abuja to Kaduna to attend an agricultural education programme organised by the FCT UBEB, saying many were killed during the attack.
While thanking God for coming out safely from the kidnappers’ den after three months, Suleiman appreciated the people of the FCT, especially members of the All Nigeria Conference of Principals of Secondary Schools (ANCOPPS), as well as other well-wishers, for their prayers that led to his release.
metro
Hisbah Arrests Nine Muslims for Allegedly Breaking Ramadan Fast in Kano
Hisbah Arrests Nine Muslims for Allegedly Breaking Ramadan Fast in Kano
Officials of the Kano State Hisbah Board have arrested nine Muslims in Kano State for allegedly failing to observe fasting during Ramadan, triggering renewed debate over religious enforcement and personal freedoms in northern Nigeria.
According to the Hisbah authorities, the arrests were carried out during routine patrols across parts of Kano metropolis after reports that some individuals were eating and drinking publicly during fasting hours. The suspects were picked up at different locations, including eateries and roadside areas, and were subsequently taken into custody for questioning.
A senior Hisbah official explained that the enforcement action was in line with the agency’s mandate to uphold Islamic moral standards during the holy month of Ramadan, particularly among Muslims who are expected to fast from dawn to sunset.
The official noted that exemptions exist for certain categories of people, including the sick, pregnant women, travelers, and nursing mothers, but stressed that anyone claiming exemption must provide valid justification.
READ ALSO:
- Ondo Monarch Killed as Bandits Strike Akure North
- LP Crisis Deepens as Abure Faction Rejects Otti’s Reconciliation Call
- Rivers Assembly Halts Impeachment Proceedings Against Gov Fubara
“The essence of this exercise is not to punish but to ensure compliance with Islamic principles and preserve the sanctity of Ramadan,” the official said, adding that those arrested would be counselled and possibly released after undertaking to observe the fast.
The arrests have, however, drawn mixed reactions from residents and rights advocates. While some Kano residents supported the move, arguing that public disregard for fasting offends religious sensibilities, others expressed concern over civil liberties and freedom of religion, especially in a plural society.
This is not the first time the Hisbah Board has taken such action. The agency has a history of enforcing Ramadan-related regulations, including the closure of eateries during fasting hours and warnings against public consumption of food by Muslims.
Kano State operates an Islamic legal system alongside conventional law, and the Hisbah Board plays a central role in religious and moral enforcement, particularly during Ramadan.
Background: Hisbah and Ramadan Enforcement in Kano
The Kano State Hisbah Board is a government-backed moral enforcement body established to promote Islamic ethics and social order. Its activities typically intensify during Ramadan, a period regarded by Muslims as sacred and spiritually significant.
Over the years, Hisbah’s actions—ranging from arrests for public eating to crackdowns on alcohol and “immoral conduct”—have sparked recurring debates about human rights, religious tolerance, and the limits of state-backed moral policing.
Hisbah Arrests Nine Muslims for Allegedly Breaking Ramadan Fast in Kano
metro
Ondo Monarch Killed as Bandits Strike Akure North
Ondo Monarch Killed as Bandits Strike Akure North
Oba Kehinde Falodun, the traditional ruler of Agamọ Community in Akure North Local Government Area, has been killed following a violent bandit attack on his palace, escalating concerns over rising insecurity in Ondo State.
According to community and security sources, the incident occurred on Wednesday evening when armed men invaded the monarch’s residence in what was described as an attempted kidnapping. Residents said the attackers operated in numbers, causing panic within the community and surrounding villages.
The traditional ruler was later found dead close to the palace, prompting immediate intervention by security agencies. The Ondo State Police Command confirmed the incident and said a full investigation had commenced.
Police spokesperson Abayomi Jimoh said operatives were swiftly deployed to the area, with tactical teams working alongside local security outfits to track the suspects. He added that surveillance and patrols have been intensified to prevent further attacks and restore calm.
Security operatives from the police, local hunters, vigilantes, and Ondo State Security Network Agency (Amotekun) were involved in combing nearby bushes and forest corridors believed to serve as escape routes for criminal gangs.
READ ALSO:
- LP Crisis Deepens as Abure Faction Rejects Otti’s Reconciliation Call
- Rivers Assembly Halts Impeachment Proceedings Against Gov Fubara
- PDP Chairmanship Candidate Withdraws, Backs APC Ishaku in FCT Polls
The killing has triggered widespread condemnation from residents and traditional leaders, who described the attack as a grave threat to grassroots leadership and a sign of worsening rural insecurity.
The incident comes amid a spate of violent crimes in Akure North, including recent abductions and armed raids that have unsettled communities and disrupted farming and trading activities. Residents are now calling for sustained military-style operations, improved intelligence gathering, and a stronger security presence in forest-bordering settlements.
Why Akure North Is Under Threat
Akure North Local Government Area, which surrounds the Ondo State capital, is largely rural and dotted with thick forests, farmlands, and isolated communities. These geographic features have increasingly been exploited by bandits and kidnappers, who use forest routes to launch attacks and evade arrest.
In recent months, Akure North has recorded:
- Kidnappings for ransom, including the abduction of residents from farming communities
- Attacks on villages near forest boundaries
- Arrests of suspected bandits following joint operations by security agencies
Despite periodic arrests, residents say criminal groups often regroup and return, raising concerns about porous security coverage and the need for long-term security infrastructure, including permanent patrol bases and aerial surveillance.
The killing of a sitting monarch has intensified calls for federal intervention, as community leaders warn that continued attacks could undermine local governance, traditional institutions, and economic activities in the area.
Ondo Monarch Killed as Bandits Strike Akure North
metro
Court Adjourns Trial of Ex‑JAMB Registrar Ojerinde, Others
Court Adjourns Trial of Ex‑JAMB Registrar Ojerinde, Others
The Federal High Court in Abuja on Wednesday adjourned the trial of former JAMB Registrar Prof. Dibu Ojerinde, his children, and several corporate entities on charges of official corruption and abuse of office until April 30, 2026.
The matter was before Justice Mohammed Umar, but proceedings could not take place due to the judge’s absence on another official assignment. Consequently, the case was rescheduled for later in April.
Prof. Ojerinde, who previously served as Registrar of the Joint Admissions and Matriculation Board (JAMB), is being prosecuted alongside four of his children — Mary Ojerinde, Olumide Ojerinde, Adebayo Ojerinde, and Oluwaseun Ojerinde — as well as six companies linked to him.
READ ALSO:
- Over 1.5 Million Candidates Registered as JAMB UTME Pin Vending Nears Deadline
- FG Seals Plateau Mine After 37 Killed in Toxic Gas Tragedy
- Troops Kill Five Kidnappers, Rescue Abducted Woman in Plateau
The companies named as co‑defendants in the case, marked FHC/ABJ/CR/119/2023, are: Doyin Ogbohi Petroleum Limited, Cheng Marbles Limited, Sapati International Schools Limited, Trillium Learning Centre Limited, Standout Institutes Limited, and Esli Perfect Security Printers Limited.
The charges were filed by the Independent Corrupt Practices and Other Related Offences Commission (ICPC) and relate to alleged corruption and abuse of office during Prof. Ojerinde’s tenure as JAMB Registrar.
In addition to the current corruption trial, Ojerinde is facing a separate 18‑count charge alleging the diversion of funds during his time as Registrar of the National Examinations Council (NECO) and later at JAMB. That matter is before a sister Federal High Court, presided over by Justice Obiora Egwuatu, and is scheduled to resume on March 25, 2026.
Legal experts say the multiplicity of charges reflects increased enforcement efforts by anti‑corruption agencies against high‑profile public officials accused of financial misconduct. Ojerinde’s legal team had sought additional time to prepare their defence, a request accommodated by the court’s adjournment.
The adjournment comes amid heightened public interest in accountability within Nigeria’s public institutions, particularly concerning the management of examination bodies and the oversight of funds in federally funded agencies.
Observers note that the outcome of the Ojerinde trials could set an important precedent for prosecuting alleged financial crimes by senior public servants, especially where family members and associated businesses are implicated.
Court Adjourns Trial of Ex‑JAMB Registrar Ojerinde, Others
-
News2 days agoSaudi Arabia Confirms Sighting of Ramadan Crescent, Fasting Begins Wednesday
-
metro2 days agoLagos Woman Shares Ordeal After Alleged Rape, Sparks Nationwide Outcry
-
News2 days agoRamadan Begins in Nigeria as Sultan Confirms Crescent Sighting
-
metro2 days agoSeven Killed in Horrific Crash at Ota Toll Gate
-
metro2 days agoDeadlock at National Assembly as House Snubs Electoral Act Bill Meeting on E-Transmission Clause
-
News20 hours agoKorope Drivers Shut Down Lekki–Epe Expressway Over Lagos Ban (Video)
-
metro2 days agoTroops Intercept ₦37m Terror Funds, Phones, ISWAP Logistics in Borno Operations
-
Health1 day agoRamadan Health Tips: Six Ways to Stay Hydrated While Fasting


