Ukraine launches offensive to reclaim Russian-occupied region - Newstrends
Connect with us

International

Ukraine launches offensive to reclaim Russian-occupied region

Published

on

Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskiy

Ukrainian forces pressed their counter-offensive to retake the Russian-occupied southern region of Kherson, while a team of UN experts was en route to inspect the Zaporizhzhia nuclear plant which was targeted by fresh shelling over the weekend.

The coastal region of Kherson and its capital city of the same name have been contested by Russian troops since the war broke out six months ago.

“Ukrainian armed forces have launched their offensive in several areas in the south,” the head of the regional administration, Yaroslav Yanushevych, said on the Telegram app.

In his daily address Monday night, President Volodymyr Zelensky did not specifically mention the counter-offensive but said they would oust the occupying forces “to the border”.

“If they want to survive, it is time for the Russian military to flee. Go home,” he said.

Russian forces seized Kherson, a town of 280,000 inhabitants, on March 3.

It was the first major city to fall following Moscow’s invasion of Ukraine on February 24.

READ ALSO:

“Today there was a powerful artillery attack on enemy positions in… the occupied Kherson region,” local government official Sergey Khlan told Ukraine’s Pryamyi TV channel.

“This is what we have been waiting for since the spring — it is the beginning of the de-occupation of Kherson region.”

US National Security Council spokesman John Kirby said Ukraine’s move was already having an impact on Russian military capabilities as it forced them to reposition forces and deplete some units in the east.

“Because the Russians have had to pull resources from the east simply because of reports that the Ukrainians might be going more on the offence in the south,” Kirby told reporters Monday, CNN reported.

A senior Pentagon official said Russia was struggling to find soldiers to fight in Ukraine and that many new recruits were older, in poor shape and lacking training.

– ‘Ukraine regaining its own’ –

Russia’s defence ministry meanwhile claimed it had repulsed attacks in the Kherson and Mykolaiv regions and inflicted “heavy losses” on Ukrainian forces.

The spokeswoman for the Ukrainian military’s Southern Command, Nataliya Gumenyuk, had said Kyiv’s forces were attacking from many directions to push the Russians back to the other bank of the Dnipro river.

In an update on Facebook early Tuesday, the Southern Command said the situation remained “tense” in its area of operations.

“The enemy attacked our positions five times, but was unsuccessful,” it said. The city of Mykolaiv, just northwest of Kherson, had come under “massive bombardment” from Russian anti-aircraft missiles, with two civilians killed and 24 wounded, it said.

“Ukraine is regaining its own. And it will regain the Kharkiv region, Lugansk region, Donetsk region, Zaporizhzhia region, Kherson region, Crimea,” Zelensky said in his address.

Kherson city lies some 200 kilometres (125 miles) southwest of the Zaporizhzhia nuclear plant — Europe’s largest atomic facility — which has also been occupied by Russian troops since early March.

Regional governor Oleksandr Starukh said early Tuesday that Russia had launched a missile attack on Zaporizhzhia city.

“According to preliminary information, there are no casualties,” he said. “So far, no significant damage to infrastructure facilities has been detected.”

International

Canada Opens New Express Entry Draw for Nigerian Workers, Others

Published

on

Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC)
Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC)

Canada Opens New Express Entry Draw for Nigerian Workers, Others

The Government of Canada has announced a new Express Entry draw, offering fresh opportunities for skilled workers from Nigeria and other eligible countries to obtain Canadian permanent residency. The latest draw underscores Canada’s ongoing efforts to attract global talent to meet labour market demands and support economic growth.

According to Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC), the new round of invitations targets candidates under the Federal Skilled Worker Program, the Federal Skilled Trades Program, and the Canadian Experience Class, all managed through the Express Entry system. Eligible applicants are ranked through the Comprehensive Ranking System (CRS), with higher scores increasing the likelihood of receiving an Invitation to Apply (ITA) for permanent residency.

READ ALSO:

This development is particularly significant for Nigerian workers, who have increasingly sought opportunities in Canada due to strong employment prospects, favourable immigration policies, and the country’s high standard of living. Applicants are advised to update profiles, review eligibility criteria, and submit supporting documents promptly, as IRCC draws often target candidates with competitive CRS scores.

The Express Entry system remains a primary pathway for skilled migration, with Canada aiming to meet ambitious immigration targets in 2026. The federal government has emphasized that these draws are part of a broader strategy to boost the Canadian workforce while supporting diversity and inclusion within the country’s labour market.

Canada has historically welcomed Nigerians in sectors including information technology, healthcare, engineering, and skilled trades, and this draw continues to open doors for qualified professionals seeking permanent residence.

Launched in 2015, Express Entry is a points-based immigration system designed to attract highly skilled foreign workers. Applicants are evaluated on education, work experience, language proficiency, and other factors. Candidates with the highest CRS scores are invited to apply for permanent residency, allowing them to live and work anywhere in Canada.

Express Entry draws occur regularly, and eligibility requirements may vary by program and draw. Skilled workers from Nigeria and other countries are encouraged to maintain updated profiles to maximize chances of selection.

Canada Opens New Express Entry Draw for Nigerian Workers, Others

Continue Reading

International

South Korea Former President Park Geun-hye Jailed for Life Over Martial Law Attempt

Published

on

Former South Korean President Park Geun-hye
Former South Korean President Park Geun-hye

South Korea Former President Park Geun-hye Jailed for Life Over Martial Law Attempt

Former South Korean President Park Geun-hye has been sentenced to life imprisonment for her role in attempting to impose martial law during a political crisis, marking one of the most significant rulings in the country’s modern democratic history.

The Seoul Central District Court found Park guilty of abusing presidential powers, attempting to suppress dissent, and manipulating state security forces for political purposes. Prosecutors argued that her actions threatened the constitutional order and undermined democratic governance.

Park, South Korea’s first female president, was impeached in 2017 following mass protests triggered by corruption scandals and abuse-of-office allegations. The former leader has faced multiple prosecutions over the years, including charges of bribery, influence-peddling, and illegal control of state institutions.

The court emphasized that her attempt to enforce martial law was a severe violation of South Korea’s democratic principles. Legal experts have described the ruling as a clear message that executive overreach will not be tolerated, even at the highest levels of government.

READ ALSO:

The sentence comes amid growing international attention on South Korea’s judicial independence. Analysts say the life term reinforces accountability in the country’s political system while serving as a deterrent to future leaders who might consider circumventing democratic institutions. Park may appeal the verdict to the South Korean Supreme Court, prolonging legal proceedings.

Human rights groups have praised the transparent judicial process, noting that fairness and due process remain critical, especially in politically sensitive cases. Meanwhile, the decision has reignited public debate over the balance of power between the presidency and democratic institutions in South Korea.


Background: Park Geun-hye and Martial Law Controversy

Park Geun-hye, daughter of former military ruler Park Chung-hee, governed South Korea from 2013 until her impeachment in 2017. Allegations during her tenure included attempts to deploy martial law powers to suppress opposition and consolidate control over government agencies. These efforts, combined with corruption and bribery scandals, culminated in her removal from office and subsequent criminal trials.

The case has been widely cited as a landmark test of South Korea’s democratic accountability and judicial independence, illustrating the nation’s commitment to prosecuting high-level abuses of power.

 

South Korea Former President Park Geun-hye Jailed for Life Over Martial Law Attempt

Continue Reading

International

Israeli Airstrikes Kill 12 in Gaza as Violence Persists Despite Ceasefire

Published

on

Israeli Airstrikes Kill 12 in Gaza as Violence Persists Despite Ceasefire

Israeli Airstrikes Kill 12 in Gaza as Violence Persists Despite Ceasefire

At least 12 Palestinians have been killed in Israeli airstrikes across the Gaza Strip, the territory’s civil defence agency reported on Sunday, marking one of the deadliest days since a fragile ceasefire was implemented. The strikes hit multiple areas, including Jabalia refugee camp in northern Gaza and the southern city of Khan Younis, leaving several others injured.

The Gaza Civil Defence, responsible for rescue and emergency operations under Hamas, said one airstrike struck a tent sheltering displaced civilians in Jabalia, killing at least five people and wounding others. Another strike in Khan Younis also claimed five lives, while additional shelling in Beit Lahia and western Gaza City caused further casualties. Local authorities said most victims were civilians, including families displaced by previous attacks.

READ ALSO:

The Israel Defence Forces (IDF) said its operations targeted armed militants and underground infrastructure allegedly used to launch attacks, describing the strikes as a response to ceasefire violations. Palestinian authorities condemned the strikes as a massacre and a breach of the truce, while international observers expressed concern over the continuing civilian casualties.

Since the U.S.-brokered ceasefire in October 2023, tensions in Gaza have remained high, with sporadic clashes and violations on both sides. Gaza health authorities report that over 600 Palestinians have been killed and more than 1,600 injured by Israeli strikes since the truce took effect. Humanitarian organisations warn that repeated airstrikes have devastated infrastructure, leaving displaced families vulnerable and worsening living conditions.

International observers note that the ongoing violence threatens reconstruction efforts and regional stability. With limited access for media and aid agencies, verifying casualty figures remains difficult, though reports consistently highlight the severe impact on civilians and displaced families.

The Gaza civil defence called on residents to stay vigilant, avoid military targets, and seek safety as authorities continue to respond to emergency situations across the territory. The situation underscores the fragility of the ceasefire and the urgent need for renewed diplomatic efforts to prevent further civilian casualties.

Israeli Airstrikes Kill 12 in Gaza as Violence Persists Despite Ceasefire

Continue Reading
HostArmada Affordable Cloud SSD Shared Hosting
HostArmada - Affordable Cloud SSD Web Hosting

Trending