metro
Discordant tunes over sealing of Dangote Cement factory in Kogi

Tension has gripped the mining community of Obajana in the Lokoja Local Government Area of Kogi State following the incident that led to the closure of the Dangote Cement factory.
Many workers of the company were reportedly injured on Wednesday when hundreds of youths invaded the main gate of the factory and had confrontations with the policemen guarding the plant.
The Corporate Affairs and Communication Department of the Dangote Group in a statement on Wednesday said several staff members of the company received gunshot wounds when over 500 armed members of the Kogi State’s security outfit, the Vigilantes, stormed the factory.
The statement added that the said vigilante group members were wielding arms of different kinds wheny the stormed the factory.
It added that the injured staff had been taken to hospitals for treatment.
But, in a swift reaction, the Kogi State government stated that it was jubilant youths who chased the workers away after sealing the factory.
READ ALSO:
- DHQ reveals how train attack victims were rescued
- Attempt to stop APC governorship candidate’s case rejected
- Ogun monarch allegedly blinds trader for dancing with queen
The state Commissioner for Information and Communication, Kinsley Fanwo, in a statement, said the state government sealed the factory in Obajana following agitations by Kogi indigenes on the questionable circumstances surrounding the acquisition of the company.
Reports from the communities on Thursday stated that the residents of the cement town were wearing mourning looks, bemoaning the unfolding crisis rocking their communities.
Many shops, business centres and eateries in the town remained under lock and key for fear of the unknown.
However, discordant tunes have been trailing the sealing of the company.
The mining community of Iwa and Oyo in the Obajana enclave described the action of the youth as falling short of maturity and civility.
In particular, the spokesperson of the Iwa mining community, Rotimi Kekereowo, stated that the coming on the stream of the company to their community had helped them, saying they will not support any action that will bring hardships to their community.
Also, the spokesperson for the Oyo mining community, Mr David Oluruntoba, called for caution, describing the incident as ‘’primitive and disgraceful’.
He said the community had just signed a Community Development Agreement (CDA) with the company besides providing them with jobs.
The Olu of Akpata in the mining community, Fredrick Balogun, said royal fathers “will continue to seek the path of reconciliation and amicable resolution of any misunderstanding. We don’t have issues with the company.”
Meanwhile, the Kogi State governor, Yahaya Bello, has said that the state is ready to open up discussions once Dangote Company Plc is ready to come clean.
The governor disclosed this in Lokoja on Thursday during the public presentation of the report of the Specialised Technical Committee on the Evaluation of the Legality of the Alleged Acquisition of Obajana Cement Company Plc by Dangote Cement Company Limited.
Bello said that he had taken the bold step in line with his mandate to safeguard the lives and livelihood of the people of Kogi.
“We received several petitions from the general public over this particular subject matter. In the past five to six years, all efforts to sit with the proprietors of the Dangote Conglomerate failed.
“We set up a committee to look into this and invited the Dangote company to discuss with them and tell them the imminent dangers they are exposing the people to, but it all fell on deaf ears,” he said.
Daily Trust
metro
Minister inspects Independence Bridge in Lagos after reopening

Minister inspects Independence Bridge in Lagos after reopening
Minister of Works, Senator David Umahi, has visited the Independence Bridge in Lagos on Thursday after ordering its immediate reopening.
The minister on Wednesday ordered the reopening of the bridge shut for repair work on Wednesday following the massive gridlock that stretched from Lekki through Victoria Island to Falomo Bridge and beyond.
However, the commencement of repairs on Wednesday caused major traffic with Lagos residents spending hours on the road.
The minister’s visit, it was learnt, was to assess the rehabilitation and how to restructure the work in a way to cause minimal disruption to movement of people using the bridge and alternative roads.
A statement signed by his Special Adviser on Media, Hon. Orji Uchenna Orji, in Abuja on Thursday, confirmed the minister’s arrival in Lagos for the visit.
“Less than 24 hours after the sad traffic experience on the Independence Bridge in Lagos, the Honourable Minister of Works, His Excellency, Sen. Engr. Nweze David Umahi CON, has arrived in Lagos to assess the situation with a view to providing immediate and permanent intervention,” the statement read.
The Federal Controller of Works, Lagos, Mrs Olukorede Kesha, had earlier confirmed the reopening of the bridge.
She expressed the Ministry of Works’ regret for the inconvenience caused to the motoring public by the closure and appealed for their understanding and cooperation
She had said, “Efforts are currently ongoing to ensure palliative works are carried out on the already opened bridge to make it motorable .
“The ministry hereby express regret for the inconvenience caused to the motoring public by the closure and appealed for their understanding and cooperation.”
metro
Man stabs friend over woman in FCT council

Man stabs friend over woman in FCT council
A 27-year -old man, Rabiu Suleiman, has reportedly stabbed and inflicted serious injuries on his friend, Yunusa Muazu, during a fight over a woman at Tipper garage area of Gwagwalada in Gwagwalada Area Council of the FCT.
A resident of the area, who simply gave his name as Sanusi, said the incident occurred on Tuesday night after a fight broke out at a viewing centre at Unguwar Dodo area of the town.
He said Suleiman had accused his friend, Muazu of dating his friend, Jamila Yakubu, who he intends to marry.
He said trouble started when Jamila left Suleiman’s house on Tuesday around 8:34 pm, only for him to meet her with his friend, Muazu, discussing at a viewing centre, where he had gone to watch football.
He said Suleiman, upon sighting his woman with his friend, angrily walked straight to them and slapped him, a situation, which resulted in a fight between them.
He said in the process, Suleiman allegedly pulled out a knife and stabbed his friend in the back, which attracted the attention of people at the viewing centre.
READ ALSO:
- South African court acquits Nigerian pastor of rape after 8 years in jail
- Man jailed 3 months for non-declaration of $30,000 at airport
- More heads to roll in NNPCL, subsidiaries as Ojulari assumes office
According to him, some people at the centre, who tried to separate them, were overpowered, not until when some vigilantes rushed to the scene and arrested Suleiman.
He said his friend, who was lying on the floor in a pool of his blood, was rushed to a nearby hospital.
He said the lady quietly left the scene when the fight broke out.
A member of the vigilante, Salihu Bala, who confirmed the incident, said the suspect had been arrested and handed over to security personnel in the area.
He said the vigilantes were making efforts to trace the woman’s location and arrest her.
He said, “The vigilantes even went to the family house of the girl on Wednesday morning but could not find her but we are still trailing her movement to ensure she is arrested.”
Bala said the injured victim was recuperating at the hospital, alleging that the victim and his friend were into drugs.
The spokeswoman of the FCT police command, SP Josephine Adeh, did not respond to the calls and text messages sent to her on the incident.
Man stabs friend over woman in FCT council
metro
South African court acquits Nigerian pastor of rape after 8 years in jail

South African court acquits Nigerian pastor of rape after 8 years in jail
A High Court in the Eastern Cape division of South Africa has acquitted Timothy Omotoso, a Nigerian televangelist, accused of raping young women in his church.
Omotoso and his two co-defendants were arraigned on a 32-count charge bordering on rape and human trafficking.
News24 reported that Omotoso would be deported to Nigeria immediately after the judgment.
The co-defendants are Lusanda Sulani and Zukiswa Sitho.
READ ALSO:
- More heads to roll in NNPCL, subsidiaries as Ojulari assumes office
- Barcelona beat Atletico to set up cup final against Real Madrid
- NNPCL hikes petrol pump price to N950/litre
Several young women had accused the pastor of luring them into his home in Umhlanga, a town in South Africa, where he allegedly molested them.
In April 2017, the Nigerian pastor was arrested shortly after he landed at an airport in South Africa.
He is the senior pastor of the Jesus Dominion International based in Durban, South Africa. He is also the founder of Tim Omotoso Global Outreach and Ancient of Day Broadcasting Network
According to News24, Irma Schoeman, the trial judge, yesterday, ruled that the state prosecutor did not prove the case beyond reasonable doubt.
The Nigerian pastor had been in South African prison since his arrest in 2017.
South African court acquits Nigerian pastor of rape after 8 years in jail
-
metro2 days ago
BREAKING: Senator Natasha defies restrictions, arrives homecoming rally by helicopter [VIDEO]
-
metro2 days ago
Uromi: Edo residents flee towns over likely reprisal attack, arrest
-
metro2 days ago
Breaking: ‘Cancel your homecoming’ — Police tell Senator Natasha
-
metro1 day ago
Breaking: Tinubu sacks Kyari, appoints Ojulari as new NNPCL GCEO
-
metro2 days ago
Amosun, Adeola engage in verbal attack over project diversion allegation
-
Auto3 days ago
CFAO subsidiary LOXEA unveils BYD electric vehicles in Nigeria
-
International11 hours ago
Trump slams Nigeria with high tariff in shocking trade crackdown
-
metro2 days ago
Kogi LG imposes curfew ahead of Natasha’s homecoming event