Railway
Updated: Abuja-Kaduna train returns this month with 24-hour security monitoring – Minister
The Nigerian Railway Corporation will resume the operation of the Abuja-Kaduna train service with a 24-hour daily security monitoring system before the end of this month, Minister of Transportation, Mu’azu Sambo, has said.
He made the disclosure in Abuja on Monday while giving an update on the achievements of the ministry between 2015 and 2022.
This is coming eight months after terrorists bombed the train corridor, killing many and kidnapping scores of passengers.
Sambo said also that the FG planned to link up the 36 state capitals in Nigeria with rail network in order to provide seamless means of transportation for the people.
Sambo, who admitted the pains thrown up by the March 2022 attack on the Kaduna-Abuja train route, said that the government had learnt many lessons from the atrocity and adopted many measures to prevent future attacks and give the users of the service a sense of security and safety.
He said all the kidnapped passengers had been released and reunited with their families and loved ones, Sambo stated that the rail lined had been provided with 24-hour security monitoring system to ensure constant real time surveillance and control.
The minister said, “The Abuja-Kaduna (train) tragedy shall not happen again not only because we have committed it to God but we have taken steps to prevent any further attack again. We have learnt lessons from the attack.
“The lesson leant is to provide constant surveillance, constant monitoring on a daily basis, weekly, monthly as each train leaves and returns. It should be possible for what goes on within the rail line to be monitored real time going forward.
“We shall resume that service this month. I told you we would only resume service after all the kidnapped passengers might have been released. By the Grace of God and through the instrumentality of our security agencies under the able leadership of President Muhammadu Buhari, that has been successfully done and we are going to resume operation on the Kaduna-Abuja rail route before the end of November 2022.”
On the suspension of operation on the Itakpe-Warri route, the minister explained that being one of the most important corridors on the national rail line, efforts were being made to ensure its return to full operation and serve the people maximally.
According to him, the ministry is to secure the approval of the Federal Executive Council to complete the work on the Itakpe-Warri rail corridor on the basis of Engineering, Procurement, Construction and Financing model to address the challenges currently being faced on the route.
Sambo said, “The Ministry of Transportation wants to go back to FEC for approval for executing the Itakpe-Warri Railway Line on the basis of Engineering, Procurement, Construction and Financing model because it is one of the most important rail projects in Nigeria as it remains in the central line in Nigeria.
“With it, one can travel from Abuja to Warri with ease. It is important and the Federal Government is mindful of that. It is important for all Nigerians to know that the Federal Government’s Railway Modernization Programme is aimed at linking each state capital in Nigeria with rail with the goal of making life easier for all Nigerians who want to travel from one point to the other.”
The minister also defended the extension of the Katsina rail line in Nigeria to Maradi in Niger Republic, saying that the move would promote international trade between Nigeria and other countries through that corridor, adding that there was no need to sign an agreement with such countries before such a project is done.
Sambo also denied insinuations that the FG approved narrow-gauge rail line for the South East while it implemented standard gauge for other parts of the country, saying that the choice of narrow gauge from Maiduguri through Jos and other parts of the North to the South was due to the paucity of funds at the disposal of the government and not restricted to any part of the country.
Sambo said the time the decision for narrow gauge choice was made before his appointment, the choice was between picking the narrow gauge at the cost of $3 billion or standard gauge for $12 billion and that the federal government picked the cheaper option due to funding constraints.
The minister also explained that the prolonged delay in dredging the Calabar River Port which has been featuring in many budgets for decades was due to the number of litigations instituted by interested parties, which predate the Buhari administration.
He however said that President Buhari had directed that necessary steps be taken to sort out the legal hurdles and get the vital port dredged for the interests of maritime operations and create jobs for Nigerians.
Overall, the minister boasted that the Buhari administration had lifted the transport sector with key projects and services that have transformed the sector and created millions of job and strengthened maritime security since the inception of the administration in 2015.
Sambo boasted: “Within the period under review, the moribund commercial railway services in Nigeria were resuscitated by the administration of President Muhammadu Buhari; locomotives and coaches were procured and others refurbished. The Abuja – Kaduna rail corridor commercial operation was flagged off in July 2016 while the Warri – Itakpe corridor started commercial operation in April 2021 with the Lagos – Ibadan double track standard gauge beginning commercial operation in June 2021.
“The President Muhammadu Buhari-led administration has made giant strides in bridging the infrastructural deficit in the transportation sector – the railway modernization programme, the deep sea ports development programme, the inland dry port initiative, job creation, introduction of favourable policies to mention but a few.
“The sector is far from perfect, but the interventions on ground will serve as a veritable template for the incoming administration to build upon,” the minister stated.
The Minister of Information, Alhaji Lai Mohammed, tongue-lashed the opposition for saying that the Buhari administration has nothing to campaign with for the 2023 elections.
Mohammed said, “I want to address what I will call an absurdity that is being bandied about by the opposition, that the Buhari Administration has nothing to campaign with in the run-up to the 2023 general elections. It’s a cruel irony that the party that presided over the affairs of this great country in a time of plenty, but could not complete a single modern rail line, is the one accusing an administration that has completed at least three standard gauge rail-lines of lacking in achievements.
“Indeed, the Buhari administration is spoilt for choice in celebrating its achievements. As I said, we have completed the Abuja-Kaduna, Lagos-Ibadan and Itakpe-Warri Standard Gauge Rail-lines,we have commissioned brand new airport terminals in Abuja, Lagos and Port Harcourt, we have completed housing projects in 35 states, we have constructed or are constructing road projects in every state, we
have the Anchor Borrowers’ Programme that has almost weaned us from dependence on imported rice and other crops.
Mohammed said, “We met 15 standard rice mills and now we have over 50; we have our unprecedented National Social Investment Programme under which 9.8 million schoolchildren are fed one meal daily, under which one million youth have been empowered and another 500,000 who are undergoing training under the N-Power and the 1,632,480 households that have been enrolled in the Conditional Cash Transfer Programme. And we are proud of the Integrated National Security and Waterways Protection Infrastructure (also known as Deep Blue Asset), aimed at managing, controlling and protecting Nigerian waterways towards the advancement of coastal prosperity.
“They are quick to point to some economic indices like the naira exchange rate and inflation, but the truth is that if they were the ones confronted with having to fight a once-in-a-century pandemic, two economic recessions and low oil prices, Nigeria would have had no economy to even talk about.”
Railway
Railway track vandalism: Urgent need for laws prohibiting scrap/metal picking to protect critical assets
Railway track vandalism: Urgent need for laws prohibiting scrap/metal picking to protect critical assets
By Onyedikachi Stanley Onovo
The wanton destruction and theft of Nigeria’s railway infrastructure and other critical public assets represent one of the gravest threats to national development and security.
Across the nation—from the Warri-Itakpe line to Abuja-Kaduna, the Eastern and Western Districts, Lagos-Ibadan, and throughout the Northern network—vandals systematically dismantle tracks, steal armoured cables, and pillage essential equipment. This crisis demands an immediate and robust legislative response.
The unending menace
The vandalism is perpetrated by a network of individuals, from local miscreants (“iron condemn”) to organised merchants who purchase and export stolen materials. Security reports and countless arrests underscore the scale of the problem:
In December 2023, a private security firm arrested 13 suspects for vandalising Abuja Mass Transit Rail assets. The suspects were said to be casual workers engaged by a Chinese company working on the railways, but said to have used the opportunity to steal the materials.
On June 2024, The Cable reported that the Nigerian Army arrested 47 suspected rail track vandals in Kaduna State.
In October 2025, police arrested a suspect vandalising railway electrical installations also in Kaduna State.
Radio Nigeria in December 2025 announced the arrest of three persons in Kwara State for vandalizing and stealing Railway clips and nuts in Offa.
In May 2021, TVC reported some individuals, including one Ejike Okeke were apprehended in Enugu with stolen sleepers and tracks.
On the 30th of January 2026 the Nigerian Television Authority reported that the NSCDC, Bauchi State Command arrested five suspects and intercepted a truck carrying vandalized railway tracks.
This relentless assault has plagued successive management of the Nigerian Railway Corporation (NRC), defying conventional counter-strategies.
A transformative leadership initiative
A pivotal shift began under the administration of President Bola Ahmed Tinubu with the appointment of Dr. Kayode Opeifa as Managing Director/CEO of the NRC.
Dr. Opeifa introduced a fundamental paradigm shift by redesignating what was carelessly termed “scrap” as “unserviceable critical national assets.”
This reframing has driven a transformative partnership with experts to manage these assets responsibly. The era of controversial public auctions—which often saw valuable national iron assets disappear, depriving Nigeria of materials for repurposing and industrialisation—is now over.
Today, a systematic process ensures these materials are reused or responsibly processed, with revenue reinvested into the Corporation. This home-grown solution is a commendable breakthrough that proves Nigerians can effectively solve national challenges.
The critical legislative gap: Targeting the market
While the NRC’s internal reforms are laudable, they alone cannot stem the tide. The root enabler of this vandalism is the thriving, unregulated market for stolen metal. To kill the vandal’s incentive, we must eradicate the demand.
Therefore, there is an urgent need for the National Assembly to enact legislation that:
1. Prohibits the buying and selling of any railway materials (serviceable or unserviceable) on the open market.
2. Imposes severe penalties on buyers and merchants of vandalised public assets, effectively targeting the economic drivers of this crime.
3. Mandates stringent federal regulation of all scrap metal dealers nationwide.
THE SCRAP DEALER NEXUS
The opaque operations of scrap dealers are a major concern. Their compounds are often shrouded, hiding the provenance of their materials. This unregulated space fuels not only railway vandalism but also community theft—from iron crossing bars in homes to street lamp holders.
Trailers loaded with questionable materials move freely from cities and expressways to unknown destinations. Without regulating this sector, our fight against vandalism remains superficial.
CONCLUSION
The partnership and innovation under Dr. Opeifa’s leadership at the NRC demonstrate what is possible with commitment and vision.
However, to secure our railways, power installations, and other critical assets, we must complement this institutional resolve with strong, deterrence-based law. Legislation that dismantles the market for stolen public property is not an option; it is a national imperative for Nigeria’s security and industrial future.
*Onyedikachi Stanley Onovo, Ph.D
FCAI, ANIPR
onyedikachionovo1@gmail.com excellentdikachi@yahoo.com
Entertainment
NRC, Entertainers Finalise Plans for 2026 Valentine Train Ride
NRC, Entertainers Finalise Plans for 2026 Valentine Train Ride
A team of leading Nigerian artistes and entertainment executives has paid a courtesy visit to the Managing Director of the Nigerian Railway Corporation (NRC), Kayode Opeifa, ahead of the 2026 Valentine Love Train experience.
The delegation included celebrated musician Sunny Neji, Managing Director of Ojez Entertainment Limited, Joseph Odobeatu, and veteran vocalist Yinka Davies.
The high-profile visit formed part of final preparations for the Valentine-themed train ride scheduled for Saturday, February 14, 2026, at the Mobolaji Johnson Train Station.
Dr. Opeifa received the artistes and commended the creative industry for choosing the national rail system as the venue for the annual Valentine event. He noted that the partnership reflects growing public confidence in the corporation’s safety standards, operational improvements, and renewed focus on customer experience.
READ ALSO:
- 2027 General Elections: INEC Announces February 20 for Presidential Poll
- EFCC Nabs Three in Borno Over Viral ₦500 Naira Mutilation Video
- Omokri Accuses El-Rufai of Rights Abuses During Kaduna Governorship
“The 2026 edition aims to deliver an unforgettable experience while deepening public engagement with the rail service,” Opeifa said, reaffirming the NRC’s commitment to providing secure and efficient transport for passengers during special events.
Organisers disclosed that this year’s edition will feature an expanded entertainment lineup, including performances and appearances by Charles Inojie, Yinka Davies, Sunny Neji, and Segun Arinze. Guests are expected to enjoy live music, comedy, a couple’s game show, fashion showcases, and special performances throughout the Lagos–Ibadan–Lagos train ride, culminating in a Valentine banquet ball.
The Valentine Love Train has in recent years become a fixture on the NRC’s festive calendar, attracting couples, families, and leisure seekers with its blend of travel, romance, and entertainment. The initiative also aligns with ongoing efforts by the corporation to promote rail transportation as a viable and enjoyable alternative for intercity travel.
With final logistics being fine-tuned, organisers say the 2026 edition promises to combine safety, comfort, and premium entertainment for participants.
NRC, Entertainers Finalise Plans for 2026 Valentine Train Ride
Railway
LASG Moves to End Years of Flooding in Ebute-Meta Railway Corridor
LASG Moves to End Years of Flooding in Ebute-Meta Railway Corridor
The Lagos State Government has taken steps to address persistent flooding within the Ebute-Meta railway corridor and adjoining communities with the construction of a major stormwater drainage channel in collaboration with the Nigerian Railway Corporation.
The NRC said the state government had awarded a contract for the construction of the Carter-Railway Channel, also known as System 4, aimed at deflooding the railway compound as well as parts of Olaleye and neighbouring areas within Lagos Mainland Local Government Area.
The reinforced concrete drainage channel will run from Murtala Muhammed Way in Ebute-Meta through the railway corridor to a discharge point at Iponri on Western Avenue.
Speaking at a stakeholders’ meeting held at the railway premises, the Director of Drainage Services at the Lagos State Ministry of Environment and Water Resources, Engr.
READ ALSO:
- Outrage Mounts Over ‘Ministry of Sex’ Proposal Ahead of General Election
- Nollywood in Mourning as Family Confirms Death of Actress Aunty Ajara
- Kwankwaso Condemns Kwara Massacre, Calls for Strong Federal Response to Terrorism
Adedapo Ajadi, said the project would permanently address the perennial flooding that has affected residents, institutions and businesses in the area for years. He added that construction work is expected to last about 18 months and urged stakeholders to cooperate with contractors to ensure smooth execution.
Stakeholders at the meeting included representatives of St Saviour’s School, NTA Channel 10, the Railway Museum, Federal Medical Centre Ebute-Meta, CCECC quarters, churches, mosques, as well as industrial and small business operators within the railway corridor.
Managing Director of the Nigerian Railway Corporation, Dr Kayode Opeifa, described the intervention as timely, assuring that the corporation would give full support to the multi-billion-naira project.
He noted that the infrastructure, when completed, would significantly reduce flooding and improve safety within the railway environment and neighbouring communities.
Some stakeholders welcomed the development, saying annual flooding had disrupted academic, medical and commercial activities in the area and posed risks to lives and property.
Officials of the Lagos State Government and the NRC later carried out a joint inspection of the proposed corridor to assess the alignment and identify areas that may be affected before construction begins.
LASG Moves to End Years of Flooding in Ebute-Meta Railway Corridor
-
Politics1 day agoPeter Obi Launches ‘Village Boys Movement’ to Rival Tinubu’s City Boys Ahead of 2027
-
International2 days agoCanada Opens New Express Entry Draw for Nigerian Workers, Others
-
News2 days agoPolice to Arrest TikToker Mirabel After She Recants False Rape Claim
-
International2 days agoEpstein, Ex-Israeli PM Named in Alleged Profiteering From Boko Haram Crisis
-
metro2 days agoOsun Awards 55.6km Iwo–Osogbo–Ibadan Road Project to Three Contractors
-
Politics2 days agoUpdated: Rivers Senator Mpigi Barinada dies at 64
-
metro2 days agoOndo Monarch Killed as Bandits Strike Akure North
-
Education1 day agoOgun Gov Rewards Nigeria’s Best Primary School Teacher with Car, Bungalow


