How I directed Abba Kyari, Mallami to resolve P&ID scandal – Buhari - Newstrends
Connect with us

News

How I directed Abba Kyari, Mallami to resolve P&ID scandal – Buhari

Published

on

Former President Muhammadu Buhari

How I directed Abba Kyari, Mallami to resolve P&ID scandal – Buhari

Former President Muhammadu Buhari, has explained how he directed his late Chief of Staff Abba Kyari and the then Attorney General and Minister of Justice, Abubakar Mallami, to resolve the complications arising from the P&ID contract scam that would have robbed Nigeria of huge resources.

Buhari in a statement released on Sunday, said had Nigeria lost, “it would have required schools not to be built, nurses not to be trained and roads not to repaired, on an epic scale, to pay a handful of contractors, lawyers and their allies – for a project that never broke ground.”

“If Nigeria had lost its arbitration dispute with Process & Industrial Development in a London court on 23 October, it would have cost our people close to USD15 billion,” the former president lamented.
Saying that after Nigeria won, “all decent people can sleep easier as a result.”

Stating the efforts his administration made, Buhari said, “I tasked Abba Kyari, my chief- of-staff and Attorney General of the Federation, Abubakar Malami, with finding a way, even at that late stage and despite so much conflicting advice, to get us a fair hearing.

READ ALSO:

“Working with a number of different agencies and senior officials of government, we began to find a huge amount of evidence, not all of which Justice Knowles was to accept.”

The former president that the British judge had agreed that P&ID had paid bribes, noting also that “He agreed that one of P&ID’s founders had committed perjury. And he agreed that P&ID had somehow found in its possession a steady supply of Nigeria’s privileged internal legal documents, outlining our plans, strategies and problems.”

Wondering how Nigeria get to this point, Buhari said there are lessons to be learnt from the P&ID episode adding that affair shows how important it is to follow the legal process in resolving a dispute.

“It shows that given time and opportunity for each side to present their case, the temple of justice can satisfactorily resolve all disputes without resort to extra-judicial measures.

“It was definitely worth the struggle: this was an attempted heist of historic proportions, an attempt to steal from the treasury a third of Nigeria’s foreign reserves”.

How I directed Abba Kyari, Mallami to resolve P&ID scandal – Buhari

News

Falana, Jibrin, Bugaje Lead Opposition to US Military Presence in Nigeria

Published

on

US Military Boosts Support for Nigeria’s Fight Against Insurgency

Falana, Jibrin, Bugaje Lead Opposition to US Military Presence in Nigeria

Some prominent Nigerians have condemned the reported US military presence in Nigeria, describing it as a violation of Nigeria’s sovereignty, a potential breach of the 1999 Constitution, and a dangerous precedent for foreign military interference in the country’s security affairs.

The criticism followed the arrival of United States military aircraft in Nigeria last week, shortly after American and Nigerian officials disclosed plans to deploy about 200 US soldiers in advisory and training roles. US officials said the aircraft movements would continue for several weeks as part of a temporary counterterrorism mission.

Nigeria’s Defence Headquarters (DHQ) has insisted that the US personnel are technical specialists, not combat troops, and that they will operate strictly under the authority and control of the Nigerian government, in coordination with the Armed Forces of Nigeria. The military stressed that the deployment does not amount to the establishment of a foreign base or independent US operations on Nigerian soil.

Despite these assurances, a coalition of lawyers, academics and civil society figures issued a joint statement titled “No to Foreign Forces in Our Land: Defend Our Sovereignty”, warning that the presence of foreign troops raises serious constitutional, legal and national security concerns.

The statement was signed by human rights lawyer Femi Falana (SAN), political scientist Jibrin Ibrahim, Dr Abubakar Siddique Mohammed, Dr Dauda Garuba, Prof Massaud Omar, Prof Mohammed Kuna, Engr YZ Ya’u, and political activist Usman Bugaje.

They recalled Nigeria’s long-standing resistance to foreign military domination, warning against what they described as a creeping neo-colonial security arrangement. According to the group, Nigeria’s independence was founded on firm opposition to external military control, a principle they said must not be compromised under any guise.

READ ALSO:

The signatories referenced the Anglo-Nigerian Defence Pact of 1960, which was abrogated in 1962 following widespread public protests, arguing that political independence without military sovereignty is incomplete. They also cited Nigeria’s rejection of foreign pressure during the 1976 Organisation of African Unity (OAU) summit on Angola, recalling the historic declaration by Murtala Mohammed that Africa would no longer operate under the influence of extra-continental powers.

The group further highlighted past attempts to impose military cooperation agreements on Nigeria, including a proposed US–Nigeria defence pact in 2001 that was withdrawn after opposition from the Ministry of Defence, and the Bilateral Immunity Agreement (BIA) signed in 2003 and later nullified by the Senate in 2005 for violating constitutional provisions and the Rome Statute.

They cited Section 12(1) of the 1999 Constitution, which requires National Assembly approval before any international treaty can have the force of law in Nigeria, insisting that any foreign military deployment must follow due legislative process.

Rejecting claims that Nigeria lacks the capacity to defend itself, the group pointed to the strong peacekeeping record of the Nigerian Armed Forces under the United Nations, African Union, and ECOMOG missions in Liberia and Sierra Leone. They argued that Nigeria should prioritise modernising its military, strengthening intelligence coordination, improving troop welfare, investing in local defence production, and addressing the root causes of insecurity rather than outsourcing national defence.

In a separate interview, Prof Jibrin Ibrahim warned that Nigerians appear less vigilant today than in the 1960s, when public resistance forced the government to abandon foreign defence pacts. He questioned the effectiveness of US military interventions globally, arguing that such involvement often deepens insecurity rather than resolves it.

Observers say the controversy has reignited debate over how Nigeria should balance international security cooperation with the need to protect national sovereignty, constitutional order, and democratic accountability amid rising security challenges across the country.

Falana, Jibrin, Bugaje Lead Opposition to US Military Presence in Nigeria

Continue Reading

News

Ramadan Begins in Nigeria as Sultan Confirms Crescent Sighting

Published

on

Sultan of Sokoto and President-General of the Nigeria Supreme Council for Islamic Affairs (NSCIA), Muhammad Sa’ad Abubakar
President-General and Sultan of Sokoto, Alhaji Muhammad Sa’ad Abubakar III

Ramadan Begins in Nigeria as Sultan Confirms Crescent Sighting

Abuja — The Sultanate Council on Tuesday night confirmed the sighting of the crescent moon, officially signaling the commencement of Ramadan 1447AH in Nigeria.

The President-General of the Nigerian Supreme Council for Islamic Affairs (NSCIA) and Sultan of Sokoto, Muhammad Sa’ad Abubakar III, announced that the new moon was sighted in parts of the country, thereby declaring Wednesday, February 18, 2026, as the first day of fasting for Muslims nationwide.

The announcement followed verified reports from moon-sighting committees across several states, in line with Islamic tradition which requires physical sighting of the crescent to mark the beginning of the ninth month of the Islamic lunar calendar.

In his message to the Muslim faithful, the Sultan urged Nigerians to use the holy month to pray for peace, unity, and national development. He also called on Muslims to embody the virtues of patience, compassion, charity, and self-discipline which Ramadan represents.

READ ALSO:

Ramadan, one of the five pillars of Islam, requires adult Muslims to abstain from food, drink, and other physical needs from dawn until sunset throughout the month. The period is also marked by increased devotion, nightly congregational prayers in mosques, recitation of the Qur’an, and acts of charity to the less privileged.

Across major cities including Abuja, Lagos, Kano, and Port Harcourt, mosques recorded increased attendance for special night prayers following the announcement. Markets also witnessed heightened activity as families made last-minute purchases in preparation for the fasting period.

Ramadan will last 29 or 30 days, depending on the sighting of the next crescent, and will culminate in the celebration of Eid al-Fitr, marking the end of the fasting month.

Muslim leaders have encouraged faithful to observe the fast in accordance with Islamic teachings while maintaining harmony and mutual respect within Nigeria’s diverse society.

Ramadan Begins in Nigeria as Sultan Confirms Crescent Sighting

Continue Reading

News

Saudi Arabia Confirms Sighting of Ramadan Crescent, Fasting Begins Wednesday

Published

on

MOON CRESCENT

Saudi Arabia Confirms Sighting of Ramadan Crescent, Fasting Begins Wednesday

Riyadh, February 17, 2026 — Authorities in Saudi Arabia have officially confirmed the sighting of the crescent moon marking the beginning of the holy month of Ramadan, signaling that fasting will commence on Wednesday, February 18, 2026.

The announcement was made Tuesday evening following reports from moon-sighting committees across the Kingdom. In a statement carried by state media, the Supreme Court confirmed that verified testimonies of the crescent’s sighting had been received after sunset on the 29th day of Sha’ban.

With the confirmation, Muslims throughout the Kingdom will begin the first fast of Ramadan at dawn on Wednesday.

READ ALSO:

Religious authorities had earlier called on citizens and residents to look for the crescent on Tuesday evening and report any confirmed sightings to the nearest court. Observations were conducted in various regions, including areas around Riyadh and Mecca, as part of the Kingdom’s longstanding tradition of physical moon sighting.

Ramadan, the ninth month of the Islamic lunar calendar, is observed by Muslims worldwide as a period of fasting, prayer, charity, and spiritual reflection. The start of the month is determined by the sighting of the new crescent moon, in accordance with Islamic tradition.

Several other countries in the Gulf region are also expected to begin fasting on Wednesday following similar confirmations, while some nations may rely on local moon sightings to determine their own start date.

Further announcements regarding the duration of nightly Taraweeh prayers and official Ramadan working hours are expected from relevant authorities in the coming days.

Saudi Arabia Confirms Sighting of Ramadan Crescent, Fasting Begins Wednesday

Continue Reading
HostArmada Affordable Cloud SSD Shared Hosting
HostArmada - Affordable Cloud SSD Web Hosting

Trending