Police charge man for banditry after reporting Immigration officer for raping wife - Newstrends
Connect with us

metro

Police charge man for banditry after reporting Immigration officer for raping wife

Published

on

Bauchi State Commissioner of Police, Auwal Mohammed

Police charge man for banditry after reporting Immigration officer for raping wife

Yusuf Samaila is currently being incarcerated at the prison after spending days in Police custody for reporting a Deputy Superintendent of the Nigeria Immigration Service, Sani Muazu to the authority that his wife was raped.

Samaila had earlier this month reported the rape case of his wife to the Bauchi State Police authority and the rape suspect, an Immigration officer was arrested and released within 24 hours.

Subsequently, the victim’s husband and complainant were later detained on the accusation that he was “aiding and abetting” kidnapping.

While speaking with journalists in Bauchi, she accused the Commissioner of Police, Auwal Mohammed of failing to investigate her rape case but swiftly arrested her husband, Yusuf Samaila on an allegation of defamation based on the suspect’s (Immigration officer’s) complaint.

The victim, a mother of two, who said she is heartbroken, claimed that the police failed to investigate her complaint which Mu’azu allegedly perpetrated in the presence of two of her children while they arrested and detained her husband and granted the suspect bail in less than 24 hours.

The victim had approached a human rights civil society organization, African Child Development and Human Rights Protection in Bauchi seeking justice. However, the organisation has petitioned the Commissioner of Police to re-arrest the suspect for justice but to no avail.

She expressed regret that the police had failed to respond to her complaint but arrested and detained her husband on the request of the suspect for six days.

READ ALSO:

The ostensibly traumatised lady said that the rape incident and arrest of her husband had further worsen her family financial situation.

During a press briefing on Wednesday, the founder of African Child Development and Human Rights Protection, Barrister Muhammed Alkassim, condemned the Bauchi CP for failing to investigate a serious crime of rape.

The victim “is crying for help and justice. We condemn the failure of the Commissioner of Police, Bauchi State, Command to investigate the case of alleged rape. It is important to state categorically that the police have derailed from the general and specific objective of the establishment of the newly established police act as provided under section 1 and 2 of the same act.

“As human rights organization it is also important to further draw the attention of the Bauchi CP in further discharging his primary duty of the Nigeria Police pursuant to Section 4 of the Nigeria Police Act which is to prevent, detect crime and protect the right and freedom of every person in Nigeria as provided in the constitution,” he said.

In his reaction, the Command’s spokesman Ahmed Wakil, confirmed the petition which he said that the CP directed his deputy, Criminal Investigation Department to investigate. “The case was investigated and the two lawyers that raised the petition –Nazir Umar and Aliyu Mohammed came to the Criminal department and a case of this magnitude of rape was mentioned.

“It is a capital offense, an investigation is still ongoing and the outcome of the investigation will be revealed to the public”

Commenting on the arrest of the victim’s husband, Wakil said that he has been charged to court on allegation of criminal defamation.

“He is also charged for aiding and abetting offenses to within kidnapping and the command received petition from Nazir Umar and Co chambers on behalf of their client Sani Saleh Mauzu (who was accused of rape) against the said Yusuf Samiala and based on that the suspect (rape victim’s husband) was arrested,” he said.

Police charge man for banditry after reporting Immigration officer for raping wife

metro

Tragic Tree Collapse in Enugu Kills 18 Passengers on Commercial Bus

Published

on

Tragic Tree Collapse in Enugu Kills 18 Passengers on Commercial Bus

Tragic Tree Collapse in Enugu Kills 18 Passengers on Commercial Bus

Awhum, Udi LGA, Enugu State — At least 18 passengers were killed after a massive ancestral tree, locally known as “Ukwu Akpu Awhum,” collapsed onto a commercial 18‑seater bus on Tuesday, during a heavy thunderstorm and rainfall. The bus was en route from Ukehe in Igbo‑Etiti LGA to Enugu metropolis when the tragedy occurred.

Eyewitnesses said the ancient tree fell without warning, crushing the bus and its occupants instantly. “The rain was very heavy, the wind was strong, and we heard a loud crash,” one resident recalled. All passengers were reportedly killed on impact.

READ ALSO:

Local resident Charly Okeke suggested that recent human activity, including tying red and white cloths around the tree trunk for spiritual purposes, may have weakened the tree, contributing to the collapse. The community has been thrown into mourning, as families grapple with the sudden loss.

Emergency responders and local volunteers rushed to the scene, pulling survivors from the wreckage and transporting the injured to nearby hospitals. Authorities are expected to investigate the cause of the collapse, though no official statement has been released by Enugu State authorities as of now.

The tragedy highlights the dangers posed by aged trees along busy roads, especially during periods of torrential rain and strong winds, and underscores the need for public safety measures and regular assessments of roadside trees to prevent similar disasters.

Tragic Tree Collapse in Enugu Kills 18 Passengers on Commercial Bus

Continue Reading

metro

Carbon Monoxide Leak Kills 37 Miners in Plateau

Published

on

Over 200 Killed as Deadly Landslide Hits Mining Community in Congo

Carbon Monoxide Leak Kills 37 Miners in Plateau

Kampani Zurak, Wase LGA, Plateau State — Tragedy struck early Wednesday morning as a carbon monoxide gas leak at an underground mining site claimed the lives of at least 37 miners and injured more than 20 others. The incident occurred around 6:30 a.m., shortly after workers returned from morning prayers.

According to eyewitness Safiyanu Haruna, survivors and local residents discovered miners unconscious inside the poorly ventilated tunnels. “It’s heartbreaking to wake up to the news that 37 miners, who had been struggling to make ends meet, have died,” he said.

READ ALSO:

The injured miners were immediately transported to a hospital in Wase town for treatment. Authorities and emergency response teams had not yet arrived at the site when the leak occurred, highlighting the dangers of underground mining in poorly regulated areas.

Funeral prayers for the deceased are currently being held in the community, with the Local Government Area chairman reported to have attended. Security forces have sealed off the mining site to prevent further casualties and aid ongoing investigations.

The tragedy underscores the critical need for improved mining safety regulations, particularly in remote areas where miners often work under hazardous conditions with limited safety protocols. Experts warn that carbon monoxide exposure in mines can be deadly within minutes if ventilation and gas detection measures are inadequate.

Carbon Monoxide Leak Kills 37 Miners in Plateau

Continue Reading

metro

Kano Closes Entertainment Centres Ahead of Ramadan

Published

on

Kano State Governor, Abba Kabir Yusuf
Kano State Governor, Abba Kabir Yusuf

Kano Closes Entertainment Centres Ahead of Ramadan

The Kano State Government has ordered the immediate closure of all entertainment centres across the state as part of measures to ensure a peaceful and spiritually focused observance of Ramadan. The directive, issued by the Kano State Censorship Board, affects entertainment venues popularly known as gala houses, as well as disc jockey (DJ) operators and related entertainment outlets under the board’s regulatory jurisdiction.

Abdullahi Sulaiman, the board’s Public Relations Officer, announced that the closure will take effect from 10:00 p.m. on Wednesday, 18 February 2026, and will remain in force throughout the holy month. He explained that the action aims to create a calm and morally conducive environment for Muslim residents to observe fasting, prayers, and other religious activities without distractions.

READ ALSO:

The board emphasised that reopening dates, particularly for Eid‑el‑Fitr celebrations, will be communicated at the appropriate time. Enforcement teams have been mobilised to ensure compliance, with sanctions for violations under the board’s regulatory mandate.

Officials clarified that the closure does not apply to event centres used for weddings, conferences, or political gatherings, which fall outside the board’s jurisdiction. Board director Usman Dankwano reiterated that only entertainment outlets such as gala houses are affected by the directive.

The government said the decision aligns with efforts to promote social harmony, maintain public order, and respect religious observances during Ramadan. Residents and business operators are urged to comply fully to avoid penalties.

The move reflects a broader pattern in northern Nigeria, where authorities adjust entertainment and public activities during Ramadan to respect cultural and religious practices while maintaining community peace.

Kano Closes Entertainment Centres Ahead of Ramadan

Continue Reading
HostArmada Affordable Cloud SSD Shared Hosting
HostArmada - Affordable Cloud SSD Web Hosting

Trending