metro
Troops kill IPOB commander, four others in Imo

Troops kill IPOB commander, four others in Imo
Troops of the Joint Task Force Operation ‘UDO KA’, have killed four members of the proscribed Indigenous People of Biafra (IPOB), including a commander of the group’s armed Eastern Security Network (ESN) in Imo.
Lt.-Col. Jonah Unuakhalu, the military task force’s spokesman, said in a statement on Tuesday in Enugu that the troops conducted a special clearance operation on Monday based on reliable intelligence in the Udda, Ihittukwa, and Orsumoghu communities in the Orsu LGA.
According to him, the troops dominated and captured the notorious stronghold of the IPOB/ESN at Mother Valley despite an attempt by the criminal elements to detonate improvised explosive devices (IEDs) to stop the advancing troops.
READ ALSO:
- National clean cooking policy gets FEC approval
- CBN cybersecurity levy will worsen Nigerians’ situation – PRP
- NLC kicks against introduction of cybersecurity levy
“The gallant joint troops with superior firepower forced the criminals to withdraw in disarray; in the encounter, four of the irredentists were neutralised, and others escaped with gunshot wounds.
“One of the IPOB/ESN commanders, Tochukwu, Aka Ojoto, in charge of Ihietukwa Command, despite many charms on his body, was neutralised,” he said.
The spokesman listed items recovered from the hideouts to include an AK-47 rifle with two magazines, two automatic pump action guns, three handheld Baofeng radios, one laptop, and a Techno phone.
Others are car keys, substances suspected to be marijuana, Biafran currencies, five IEDs and device-making materials, as well as batteries for detonation of the IEDs and assorted charms.
He said the force commander, Hassan Dada, assured all citizens that the joint task force was committed to ensuring peace and stability in the South-East.
Troops kill IPOB commander, four others in Imo
metro
Minister inspects Independence Bridge in Lagos after reopening

Minister inspects Independence Bridge in Lagos after reopening
Minister of Works, Senator David Umahi, has visited the Independence Bridge in Lagos on Thursday after ordering its immediate reopening.
The minister on Wednesday ordered the reopening of the bridge shut for repair work on Wednesday following the massive gridlock that stretched from Lekki through Victoria Island to Falomo Bridge and beyond.
However, the commencement of repairs on Wednesday caused major traffic with Lagos residents spending hours on the road.
The minister’s visit, it was learnt, was to assess the rehabilitation and how to restructure the work in a way to cause minimal disruption to movement of people using the bridge and alternative roads.
A statement signed by his Special Adviser on Media, Hon. Orji Uchenna Orji, in Abuja on Thursday, confirmed the minister’s arrival in Lagos for the visit.
“Less than 24 hours after the sad traffic experience on the Independence Bridge in Lagos, the Honourable Minister of Works, His Excellency, Sen. Engr. Nweze David Umahi CON, has arrived in Lagos to assess the situation with a view to providing immediate and permanent intervention,” the statement read.
The Federal Controller of Works, Lagos, Mrs Olukorede Kesha, had earlier confirmed the reopening of the bridge.
She expressed the Ministry of Works’ regret for the inconvenience caused to the motoring public by the closure and appealed for their understanding and cooperation
She had said, “Efforts are currently ongoing to ensure palliative works are carried out on the already opened bridge to make it motorable .
“The ministry hereby express regret for the inconvenience caused to the motoring public by the closure and appealed for their understanding and cooperation.”
metro
Man stabs friend over woman in FCT council

Man stabs friend over woman in FCT council
A 27-year -old man, Rabiu Suleiman, has reportedly stabbed and inflicted serious injuries on his friend, Yunusa Muazu, during a fight over a woman at Tipper garage area of Gwagwalada in Gwagwalada Area Council of the FCT.
A resident of the area, who simply gave his name as Sanusi, said the incident occurred on Tuesday night after a fight broke out at a viewing centre at Unguwar Dodo area of the town.
He said Suleiman had accused his friend, Muazu of dating his friend, Jamila Yakubu, who he intends to marry.
He said trouble started when Jamila left Suleiman’s house on Tuesday around 8:34 pm, only for him to meet her with his friend, Muazu, discussing at a viewing centre, where he had gone to watch football.
He said Suleiman, upon sighting his woman with his friend, angrily walked straight to them and slapped him, a situation, which resulted in a fight between them.
He said in the process, Suleiman allegedly pulled out a knife and stabbed his friend in the back, which attracted the attention of people at the viewing centre.
READ ALSO:
- South African court acquits Nigerian pastor of rape after 8 years in jail
- Man jailed 3 months for non-declaration of $30,000 at airport
- More heads to roll in NNPCL, subsidiaries as Ojulari assumes office
According to him, some people at the centre, who tried to separate them, were overpowered, not until when some vigilantes rushed to the scene and arrested Suleiman.
He said his friend, who was lying on the floor in a pool of his blood, was rushed to a nearby hospital.
He said the lady quietly left the scene when the fight broke out.
A member of the vigilante, Salihu Bala, who confirmed the incident, said the suspect had been arrested and handed over to security personnel in the area.
He said the vigilantes were making efforts to trace the woman’s location and arrest her.
He said, “The vigilantes even went to the family house of the girl on Wednesday morning but could not find her but we are still trailing her movement to ensure she is arrested.”
Bala said the injured victim was recuperating at the hospital, alleging that the victim and his friend were into drugs.
The spokeswoman of the FCT police command, SP Josephine Adeh, did not respond to the calls and text messages sent to her on the incident.
Man stabs friend over woman in FCT council
metro
South African court acquits Nigerian pastor of rape after 8 years in jail

South African court acquits Nigerian pastor of rape after 8 years in jail
A High Court in the Eastern Cape division of South Africa has acquitted Timothy Omotoso, a Nigerian televangelist, accused of raping young women in his church.
Omotoso and his two co-defendants were arraigned on a 32-count charge bordering on rape and human trafficking.
News24 reported that Omotoso would be deported to Nigeria immediately after the judgment.
The co-defendants are Lusanda Sulani and Zukiswa Sitho.
READ ALSO:
- More heads to roll in NNPCL, subsidiaries as Ojulari assumes office
- Barcelona beat Atletico to set up cup final against Real Madrid
- NNPCL hikes petrol pump price to N950/litre
Several young women had accused the pastor of luring them into his home in Umhlanga, a town in South Africa, where he allegedly molested them.
In April 2017, the Nigerian pastor was arrested shortly after he landed at an airport in South Africa.
He is the senior pastor of the Jesus Dominion International based in Durban, South Africa. He is also the founder of Tim Omotoso Global Outreach and Ancient of Day Broadcasting Network
According to News24, Irma Schoeman, the trial judge, yesterday, ruled that the state prosecutor did not prove the case beyond reasonable doubt.
The Nigerian pastor had been in South African prison since his arrest in 2017.
South African court acquits Nigerian pastor of rape after 8 years in jail
-
metro2 days ago
BREAKING: Senator Natasha defies restrictions, arrives homecoming rally by helicopter [VIDEO]
-
metro2 days ago
Uromi: Edo residents flee towns over likely reprisal attack, arrest
-
metro2 days ago
Breaking: ‘Cancel your homecoming’ — Police tell Senator Natasha
-
metro1 day ago
Breaking: Tinubu sacks Kyari, appoints Ojulari as new NNPCL GCEO
-
metro2 days ago
Amosun, Adeola engage in verbal attack over project diversion allegation
-
Auto3 days ago
CFAO subsidiary LOXEA unveils BYD electric vehicles in Nigeria
-
metro2 days ago
Kogi LG imposes curfew ahead of Natasha’s homecoming event
-
International2 days ago
Iran warns US against attack, threatens with nuclear weapon