Address Nigerians, Senate tells Buhari as soldiers disperse Abuja protesters – Newstrends
Connect with us

News

Address Nigerians, Senate tells Buhari as soldiers disperse Abuja protesters

Published

on

The Senate has urged President Muhammadu Buhari to address the nation now in view tension generated by the over 10 days of protests across the country by youths demanding good governance and an end to police brutality.

The advice came as soldiers stormed Kubwa area of Abuja in three trucks and reportedly fired several gunshots in the air to disperse protesters who were regrouping for the day’s street protest.

Apart from Abuja, the protests have led to violence in Lagos and Edo States among others as hoodlums are said to have hijacked the peaceful agitation to raze many police stations, attack innocent people and cause commotion in the affected cities.

Policemen and soldiers have been deployed around the Aso Rock gate of the presidential villa as armed thugs had earlier converged on the Eagle Square located at the Three-Arm Zone of the Federal Capital Territory (FCT).

Already, governors of Lagos, Edo, Ondo, Oyo and Ekiti states have declared 24-hour curfew in their states to avert a total breakdown of law and order. But the stay-at-home order has not completely deterred the #EndSARS protesters from their street demonstration.

Apart from Buhari addressing Nigerians to douse tension, the Senate also asked the police to offer protection for the #EndSARS protesters wherever they might be engaged in peaceful demonstration.

Senator Biodun Olujimi’s point of order, titled, ‘#EndSARS: The need for a comprehensive reform’ prompted the Senate’s resolution for Buhari to personally speak up on the issue immediately.

The senators, however pleaded with the protesters to stop their street protests and allow the Federal Government to address their demands.

They also asked the President to urgently set up a judicial panel of enquiry comprising eminent Nigerians to identify those notorious SARS operatives for immediate arrest and prosecution.

Meanwhile, there was tension in the Sokale and FO1 areas of Kubwa, Abuja on Tuesday morning following as soldiers fired gunshots in the air to disperse some #EndSARS protesters who had gathered to begin the day’s protest.

The protesters had barricaded the Sokale roundabout area and Winners road in readiness for the protest when the soldiers arrived at the place in three trucks.

Hoodlums also took over some parts of the Apo Mechanic village and reportedly attacked motorists and attempted to loot some shops in the area.

News

Vacate Kano now to allow peace, Arewa group tells Bayero

Published

on

Aminu Ado Bayero

Vacate Kano now to allow peace, Arewa group tells Bayero

The Arewa Social Contract Initiative on Sunday, May 26, asked the dethroned emir of Kano, Aminu Bayero, to vacate the ancient city quietly for peace to reign.

Bayero, who was dethroned alongside four other first-class emirs following the enactment of a new law, has returned to Kano and is occupying the Gidan Nasarawa palace, while Sanusi is in the main palace, a situation that is causing intense tension.

The national chairman of the Arewa Social Contract Initiative, Alh. Sani Mahmoud Darma, on Sunday, May 26, said the solution to the stalemate over the emirate tussle is for Bayero to vacate Kano.

Darma, who addressed a press conference in Kano, said all the Arewa executives from the 19 northern states had met, critically analyzed the situation, and decided that Bayero was the problem and should leave Kano.

He said: “It is very unfortunate that after his dethronement, Aminu Ado Bayero accepted the decision and packed all his belongings from the palace and left Kano state, then some people from the top brought him back and claimed his lost position.

“If he feels his dethronement was unlawfully done and he wants to reclaim it, he would have stayed somewhere and pursued it through the court. But coming back to Kano and attempting to occupy the palace is a sign that he wants to cause violence and chaos in Kano.”

READ ALSO:

He reminded the dethroned emir to look back and recall history and accept that his sack was from God and should leave Kano immediately to avoid bloodshed.

Darma said: “This is unacceptable! It happened to Sanusi and he benefited. When Sanusi was dethroned and he (Bayero) was appointed he accepted everything in good faith and left Kano for Bayero to occupy the palace. Why is he back now that he is the victim? It shows he is still interested in the throne.

“He should congratulate Sanusi and vacate Kano immediately for peace to reign. If he is still interested in the position, he should go and stay in another state while he seeks justice from the court.”

He said the Arewa members are 100 percent strongly behind the new emir (Sanusi), because Governor Abba Yusuf, during his gubernatorial campaign, had promised the Kano people that he was going to bring back Sanusi.

The people were happy and they voted for him. What the governor has done is just a fulfillment of his promise and the people are happy about the governor’s decision because it is a long-awaited thing. So, we are (Arewa) also happy about Sanusi’s reinstatement, because he was victimised.

“What has happened is purely the decision of the State House of Assembly, the governor, the kingmakers, and the people of the state, after the old law was repealed. So, it is purely a state affair. We were even surprised when the issue of court order came about,” he said.

Vacate Kano now to allow peace, Arewa group tells Bayero

Continue Reading

News

President Tinubu arrives in Lagos for Lagos-Calabar highway flag-off

Published

on

President Tinubu arrives in Lagos for Lagos-Calabar highway flag-off

President Bola Tinubu has made a notable arrival in  Lagos to commence the flagging-off ceremony for the construction of the Lagos-Calabar highway. Welcomed by Governor Babajide Sanwo-Olu and other government dignitaries at the Murtala Muhammed Airport, President Tinubu’s presence marks a significant step forward in infrastructure development for the region.

The announcement of President Tinubu’s visit was preceded by statements from Olusegun Dada, Tinubu’s Special Assistant on Social Media, who had earlier indicated that the president would inaugurate several projects in commemoration of his first anniversary in office.

Minister of Works, Dave Umahi, had confirmed that Tinubu would initiate the construction of the Lagos-Calabar highway on May 26, emphasizing the administration’s commitment to enhancing transportation infrastructure across the nation.

READ ALSO:

During a meeting with a delegation of Yoruba leaders of thought at the State House in  Abuja, President Tinubu reiterated his administration’s dedication to fostering tangible impacts on the lives of Nigerians. He expressed optimism about the country’s trajectory towards prosperity, highlighting the progress made during the past 12 months despite inherent challenges.

President Tinubu’s visit to  Lagos and the subsequent commencement of the Lagos-Calabar highway project underscore the administration’s commitment to accelerating socio-economic development and improving connectivity across regions.

President Tinubu arrives in Lagos for Lagos-Calabar highway flag-off

Continue Reading

News

FG drags 36 states to S’Court over local govt autonomy

Published

on

FG drags 36 states to S’Court over local govt autonomy

The federal government has sued the thirty-six governors before the Supreme Court to ensure the autonomy of the nation’s local governments.

In the suit, marked SC/CV/343/2024, was filed on May 20, by the Attorney General of the Federation and Minister of Justice (AGF), Lateef Fagbemi (SAN) on behalf of the federal government.

The federal government is praying the Apex Court for an order prohibiting state governors from unilateral, arbitrary, and unlawful dissolution of democratically elected leaders for local governments.

It also prayed the Supreme Court for an order permitting the funds standing in the credits of local governments to be directly channelled to them from the federation account in line with the provisions of the Constitution as against the alleged unlawful joint accounts created by governors.

READ ALSO:

It wanted an order stopping governors from constituting caretaker committees to run the affairs of local governments as against the constitutionally recognized and guaranteed democratic system.

Also, the federal government wants an order of injunction restraining the governors, their agents, and privies from receiving, spending or tampering with funds released from the Federation Account for the benefit of local governments when no democratically elected local government system is put in place in the states.

FG drags 36 states to S’Court over local govt autonomy

Continue Reading

Trending

Skip to content