metro
Army not involved in confiscation of any community land in Osun
Army not involved in confiscation of any community land in Osun
The Nigerian Army absolved self from allegation of confiscation of community land for a proposed civil-military intervention project in Orolu Community in Osun.
This contained in a statement by the Director, Army Public Relations, Brig -Gen. Onyema Nwachukwu, on Wednesday in Abuja.
Nwachukwu said that one Chief Babatunde Oyetunji, Eesa of Ifon, had in a statement alleged that the Nigerian Army had decided to forcefully acquire land for a proposed project in Orolu Community.
He said the allegations were entirely false, malicious and an effort by some vested interests to tarnish the good reputation of the Chief of Army Staff (COAS) and drag the name of the institution in the mud.
“The fact of the matter is that one of the lines of operations of the Nigerian army in tackling security challenges in the country is the Non-kinetic line of operations.
“It is a soft approach, aimed at winning the hearts and minds of the public through the instrumentality of Civil-Military Cooperation activities or programmes of the Nigerian Army.
“This effort, is fundamentally geared towards fostering cooperation and galvanising support of the civil populace for army’s diverse operations to mitigate security challenges across the country.
READ ALSO:
-
Wagner warlord, Yevgeny Prigozhin buried beside his father
-
Erling Haaland, Manchester City forward wins PFA men’s player of the year award
-
BREAKING: Gabon military officers claim to have seized power after election
Hence, the Nigerian army usually executes special community intervention projects, such as hospitals, boreholes, electrification amongst others based on needs assessment, after consultations with the leadership of such communities, at the behest of senior officers, who hail from the benefiting community,” he said.
In this particular case, Nwachukwu said that a retired senior officer conceptualised an intervention project; a medical centre in the state.
He said the proposal had not even been formally forwarded to the Chief of Army staff for approval, adding that the Department of Civil-Military Affairs at the Army Headquarters was yet to receive requisite information to enable it initiate a comprehensive proposal for the project.
He explained that the army would not have in any way known which land belongs to who, since it was not yet involved in the process.
According to him, it is only when and if the request of the retired senior officer is forwarded to the Chief of Army Staff and is approved, that the Army can send a team to carry out due diligence on the project site and carry along all stakeholders in the process.
“Surprisingly, if the said project for which the COAS and the Nigerian army are being maligned sails through and is approved, it is a project that will benefit the civil populace and serve humanity, irrespective of community affiliation.
“The Nigerian Army hereby absolves itself of any involvement in an attempt to confiscate any community land.
“The Nigerian Army is a professional and law abiding institution that has always followed due process in all her intervention projects, so far undertaken.
“Therefore, members of the public are enjoined to discountenance the allegations and continue to support the Nigerian Army and its Kinetic and None kinetic operations across the country,” Nwachukwu said.
Army not involved in confiscation of any community land in Osun
(NAN)
metro
Kano Closes Entertainment Centres Ahead of Ramadan
Kano Closes Entertainment Centres Ahead of Ramadan
The Kano State Government has ordered the immediate closure of all entertainment centres across the state as part of measures to ensure a peaceful and spiritually focused observance of Ramadan. The directive, issued by the Kano State Censorship Board, affects entertainment venues popularly known as gala houses, as well as disc jockey (DJ) operators and related entertainment outlets under the board’s regulatory jurisdiction.
Abdullahi Sulaiman, the board’s Public Relations Officer, announced that the closure will take effect from 10:00 p.m. on Wednesday, 18 February 2026, and will remain in force throughout the holy month. He explained that the action aims to create a calm and morally conducive environment for Muslim residents to observe fasting, prayers, and other religious activities without distractions.
READ ALSO:
- Asari Dokubo Warns Igbo Groups Against Sparking Religious Conflict in Rivers
- Bauchi Reduces Working Hours for Civil Servants During Ramadan
- E‑Transmission Alone Cannot Guarantee Free, Fair Elections – Shehu Sani
The board emphasised that reopening dates, particularly for Eid‑el‑Fitr celebrations, will be communicated at the appropriate time. Enforcement teams have been mobilised to ensure compliance, with sanctions for violations under the board’s regulatory mandate.
Officials clarified that the closure does not apply to event centres used for weddings, conferences, or political gatherings, which fall outside the board’s jurisdiction. Board director Usman Dankwano reiterated that only entertainment outlets such as gala houses are affected by the directive.
The government said the decision aligns with efforts to promote social harmony, maintain public order, and respect religious observances during Ramadan. Residents and business operators are urged to comply fully to avoid penalties.
The move reflects a broader pattern in northern Nigeria, where authorities adjust entertainment and public activities during Ramadan to respect cultural and religious practices while maintaining community peace.
Kano Closes Entertainment Centres Ahead of Ramadan
metro
Asari Dokubo Warns Igbo Groups Against Sparking Religious Conflict in Rivers
Asari Dokubo Warns Igbo Groups Against Sparking Religious Conflict in Rivers
Port Harcourt — Former Niger Delta militant leader and activist, Asari Dokubo, has cautioned Igbo residents and groups against any attempts to instigate a religious crisis in Rivers State, warning that such actions could destabilise the state.
In a video widely shared on social media, Dokubo urged individuals and organisations to refrain from acts capable of triggering violence, emphasising that Rivers State must not become a theatre of religious conflict. He reportedly warned of serious consequences for anyone attempting to foment unrest in the oil-rich region.
READ ALSO:
- Bauchi Reduces Working Hours for Civil Servants During Ramadan
- E‑Transmission Alone Cannot Guarantee Free, Fair Elections – Shehu Sani
- Rosy Meurer Denies Snatching Churchill From Tonto Dikeh
Known for his outspoken views on regional and political issues, Dokubo highlighted the importance of peace and stability in Rivers State, which is economically significant due to its oil and gas resources.
His comments have sparked mixed reactions. The apex Igbo socio-cultural organisation, Ohanaeze Ndigbo, dismissed claims that Igbo groups were planning any form of religious war, affirming that Igbo residents in Rivers State are law-abiding and committed to peaceful coexistence.
Security authorities in the state are reportedly monitoring the situation closely, amid concerns that inflammatory rhetoric could heighten tensions in a region with a diverse ethnic and religious composition.
Observers stress that dialogue, mutual respect, and proactive conflict prevention are crucial to maintain stability in Rivers State, particularly given its history of political and communal tensions.
As of the filing of this report, the Rivers State Government has not issued an official statement regarding Dokubo’s comments.
Asari Dokubo Warns Igbo Groups Against Sparking Religious Conflict in Rivers
metro
Bauchi Reduces Working Hours for Civil Servants During Ramadan
Bauchi Reduces Working Hours for Civil Servants During Ramadan
The Bauchi State Government has announced a reduction in working hours for civil servants during the holy month of Ramadan, aimed at accommodating fasting schedules and religious observances.
A statement issued by the State Head of Service, Dr. Yusuf Gidado, directed all civil service offices to adjust their working hours from 8:00 am to 2:00 pm throughout the month. The adjustment applies to both permanent and contract staff across all ministries, departments, and agencies.
Dr. Gidado urged civil servants to use the shortened working hours productively, maintain high performance, and continue delivering efficient public services to residents.
READ ALSO:
- E‑Transmission Alone Cannot Guarantee Free, Fair Elections – Shehu Sani
- Rosy Meurer Denies Snatching Churchill From Tonto Dikeh
- Gabon Suspends Social Media Over False Information, Cyber Threats
The government noted that the decision was part of its commitment to supporting employees during religious observances, ensuring they can fulfill both spiritual and professional duties without undue strain.
Officials also reminded staff to adhere to workplace regulations and maintain discipline despite the adjusted schedule, emphasizing that public service continuity remains a priority.
This move follows similar initiatives by other states in Nigeria that seek to balance work efficiency with religious observance during Ramadan.
Bauchi Reduces Working Hours for Civil Servants During Ramadan
-
News3 days agoOsogbo Sons and Daughters Mark 5th Anniversary with Awards, Political Undertones
-
News1 day agoSaudi Arabia Confirms Sighting of Ramadan Crescent, Fasting Begins Wednesday
-
metro2 days agoUS Freezes Assets of Eight Nigerians Over Boko Haram, ISIL, Cybercrime Links
-
News20 hours agoRamadan Begins in Nigeria as Sultan Confirms Crescent Sighting
-
metro22 hours agoLagos Woman Shares Ordeal After Alleged Rape, Sparks Nationwide Outcry
-
Entertainment2 days agoMystery in Lekki: Police Probe Death of Two Nollywood Crew Found Lifeless in Parked Car
-
metro2 days agoTerror in Lagos Traffic: Cutlass Gang Unleashes Mayhem on Mile 12–Ketu Road
-
Auto2 days agoAppeal Court Ruling on VIO Limited to Abuja, Not Lagos — LASG


