News
Aviation workers to protest 50% revenue deductions Aug 21
Aviation workers to protest 50% revenue deductions Aug 21
Aviation workers across Nigeria plan to organise a nationwide protest on August 21, 2024, in response to the Federal Government’s continuing withdrawal of 50% of key aviation agencies’ internally produced revenue.
The unions made the news in a letter headed “Save Aviation From Collapse” and distributed to journalists on Thursday, August 14, 2024.
The affected agencies are the Nigerian Civil Aviation Authority, Federal Airports Authority of Nigeria, Nigerian Airspace Management Agency, Nigerian Meteorological Agency, Nigerian College of Aviation Technology, and Nigerian Safety Investigation Bureau.
The letter stated, “All workers of the NCAA, FAAN, NAMA, NiMet, NCAT, and NSIB, joined by the solidarity of all aviation workers, are hereby directed to embark on peaceful protests at all airports nationwide on Wednesday, August 21, 2024, to demand the discontinuation of deduction of 50% from the internally generated revenue of the agencies mentioned above through exemption.
READ ALSO:
- Peter Obi knocks Tinubu administration over seized presidential jets
- FG knocks Chinese company, says Presidential jets can’t be seized
- Lamine Yamal: Three arrested after Barcelona star father stabbed in Spain
“All efforts on our part have failed to impress it upon the Federal Government that all the agencies are cost recovery, and not profit-making, organisations. As such, they cannot survive on half of their incomes under any model of administration or any other guise whatsoever.”
The unions cautioned that key safety tasks inside these institutions are already jeopardised due to the financial burden caused by the deductions.
They warned that they would not be held liable if the aviation industry failed owing to financial limitations.
“Information available to us indicates that some important safety-critical activities of the agencies are grinding to a halt under the yoke of the deductions.
“It has, therefore, become incumbent on us as trade unions and workers in aviation to let the public and the government be aware that we shall bear no responsibility in the certain event that the industry becomes dysfunctional as a result of financial incapacity due to the deductions at source,” they added.
In preparation for the protest, the unions have directed all state councils, women’s commissions, youth councils, and union branches around the country to properly mobilise and ensure widespread participation.
Aviation workers to protest 50% revenue deductions Aug 21
News
Falana, Jibrin, Bugaje Lead Opposition to US Military Presence in Nigeria
Falana, Jibrin, Bugaje Lead Opposition to US Military Presence in Nigeria
Some prominent Nigerians have condemned the reported US military presence in Nigeria, describing it as a violation of Nigeria’s sovereignty, a potential breach of the 1999 Constitution, and a dangerous precedent for foreign military interference in the country’s security affairs.
The criticism followed the arrival of United States military aircraft in Nigeria last week, shortly after American and Nigerian officials disclosed plans to deploy about 200 US soldiers in advisory and training roles. US officials said the aircraft movements would continue for several weeks as part of a temporary counterterrorism mission.
Nigeria’s Defence Headquarters (DHQ) has insisted that the US personnel are technical specialists, not combat troops, and that they will operate strictly under the authority and control of the Nigerian government, in coordination with the Armed Forces of Nigeria. The military stressed that the deployment does not amount to the establishment of a foreign base or independent US operations on Nigerian soil.
Despite these assurances, a coalition of lawyers, academics and civil society figures issued a joint statement titled “No to Foreign Forces in Our Land: Defend Our Sovereignty”, warning that the presence of foreign troops raises serious constitutional, legal and national security concerns.
The statement was signed by human rights lawyer Femi Falana (SAN), political scientist Jibrin Ibrahim, Dr Abubakar Siddique Mohammed, Dr Dauda Garuba, Prof Massaud Omar, Prof Mohammed Kuna, Engr YZ Ya’u, and political activist Usman Bugaje.
They recalled Nigeria’s long-standing resistance to foreign military domination, warning against what they described as a creeping neo-colonial security arrangement. According to the group, Nigeria’s independence was founded on firm opposition to external military control, a principle they said must not be compromised under any guise.
READ ALSO:
- Insurgents Acquire 35 Drones as ISWAP Shifts to Aerial Attacks
- Seven Killed in Horrific Crash at Ota Toll Gate
- Nigerian Equities Post World’s Second-Best Dollar Returns in 2026, Recover $21bn
The signatories referenced the Anglo-Nigerian Defence Pact of 1960, which was abrogated in 1962 following widespread public protests, arguing that political independence without military sovereignty is incomplete. They also cited Nigeria’s rejection of foreign pressure during the 1976 Organisation of African Unity (OAU) summit on Angola, recalling the historic declaration by Murtala Mohammed that Africa would no longer operate under the influence of extra-continental powers.
The group further highlighted past attempts to impose military cooperation agreements on Nigeria, including a proposed US–Nigeria defence pact in 2001 that was withdrawn after opposition from the Ministry of Defence, and the Bilateral Immunity Agreement (BIA) signed in 2003 and later nullified by the Senate in 2005 for violating constitutional provisions and the Rome Statute.
They cited Section 12(1) of the 1999 Constitution, which requires National Assembly approval before any international treaty can have the force of law in Nigeria, insisting that any foreign military deployment must follow due legislative process.
Rejecting claims that Nigeria lacks the capacity to defend itself, the group pointed to the strong peacekeeping record of the Nigerian Armed Forces under the United Nations, African Union, and ECOMOG missions in Liberia and Sierra Leone. They argued that Nigeria should prioritise modernising its military, strengthening intelligence coordination, improving troop welfare, investing in local defence production, and addressing the root causes of insecurity rather than outsourcing national defence.
In a separate interview, Prof Jibrin Ibrahim warned that Nigerians appear less vigilant today than in the 1960s, when public resistance forced the government to abandon foreign defence pacts. He questioned the effectiveness of US military interventions globally, arguing that such involvement often deepens insecurity rather than resolves it.
Observers say the controversy has reignited debate over how Nigeria should balance international security cooperation with the need to protect national sovereignty, constitutional order, and democratic accountability amid rising security challenges across the country.
Falana, Jibrin, Bugaje Lead Opposition to US Military Presence in Nigeria
News
Ramadan Begins in Nigeria as Sultan Confirms Crescent Sighting
Ramadan Begins in Nigeria as Sultan Confirms Crescent Sighting
Abuja — The Sultanate Council on Tuesday night confirmed the sighting of the crescent moon, officially signaling the commencement of Ramadan 1447AH in Nigeria.
The President-General of the Nigerian Supreme Council for Islamic Affairs (NSCIA) and Sultan of Sokoto, Muhammad Sa’ad Abubakar III, announced that the new moon was sighted in parts of the country, thereby declaring Wednesday, February 18, 2026, as the first day of fasting for Muslims nationwide.
The announcement followed verified reports from moon-sighting committees across several states, in line with Islamic tradition which requires physical sighting of the crescent to mark the beginning of the ninth month of the Islamic lunar calendar.
In his message to the Muslim faithful, the Sultan urged Nigerians to use the holy month to pray for peace, unity, and national development. He also called on Muslims to embody the virtues of patience, compassion, charity, and self-discipline which Ramadan represents.
READ ALSO:
- Deadlock at National Assembly as House Snubs Electoral Act Bill Meeting on E-Transmission Clause
- Maikori Accuses Ex‑Governor El‑Rufai of Persecution Over 2017 Tweet
- Shari’ah Council Defends Kwankwaso, Rejects US “Christian Genocide” Claims
Ramadan, one of the five pillars of Islam, requires adult Muslims to abstain from food, drink, and other physical needs from dawn until sunset throughout the month. The period is also marked by increased devotion, nightly congregational prayers in mosques, recitation of the Qur’an, and acts of charity to the less privileged.
Across major cities including Abuja, Lagos, Kano, and Port Harcourt, mosques recorded increased attendance for special night prayers following the announcement. Markets also witnessed heightened activity as families made last-minute purchases in preparation for the fasting period.
Ramadan will last 29 or 30 days, depending on the sighting of the next crescent, and will culminate in the celebration of Eid al-Fitr, marking the end of the fasting month.
Muslim leaders have encouraged faithful to observe the fast in accordance with Islamic teachings while maintaining harmony and mutual respect within Nigeria’s diverse society.
Ramadan Begins in Nigeria as Sultan Confirms Crescent Sighting
News
Saudi Arabia Confirms Sighting of Ramadan Crescent, Fasting Begins Wednesday
Saudi Arabia Confirms Sighting of Ramadan Crescent, Fasting Begins Wednesday
Riyadh, February 17, 2026 — Authorities in Saudi Arabia have officially confirmed the sighting of the crescent moon marking the beginning of the holy month of Ramadan, signaling that fasting will commence on Wednesday, February 18, 2026.
The announcement was made Tuesday evening following reports from moon-sighting committees across the Kingdom. In a statement carried by state media, the Supreme Court confirmed that verified testimonies of the crescent’s sighting had been received after sunset on the 29th day of Sha’ban.
With the confirmation, Muslims throughout the Kingdom will begin the first fast of Ramadan at dawn on Wednesday.
READ ALSO:
- Deadlock at National Assembly as House Snubs Electoral Act Bill Meeting on E-Transmission Clause
- Maikori Accuses Ex‑Governor El‑Rufai of Persecution Over 2017 Tweet
- Shari’ah Council Defends Kwankwaso, Rejects US “Christian Genocide” Claims
Religious authorities had earlier called on citizens and residents to look for the crescent on Tuesday evening and report any confirmed sightings to the nearest court. Observations were conducted in various regions, including areas around Riyadh and Mecca, as part of the Kingdom’s longstanding tradition of physical moon sighting.
Ramadan, the ninth month of the Islamic lunar calendar, is observed by Muslims worldwide as a period of fasting, prayer, charity, and spiritual reflection. The start of the month is determined by the sighting of the new crescent moon, in accordance with Islamic tradition.
Several other countries in the Gulf region are also expected to begin fasting on Wednesday following similar confirmations, while some nations may rely on local moon sightings to determine their own start date.
Further announcements regarding the duration of nightly Taraweeh prayers and official Ramadan working hours are expected from relevant authorities in the coming days.
Saudi Arabia Confirms Sighting of Ramadan Crescent, Fasting Begins Wednesday
-
Education3 days agoCheck Your Name: UNILORIN Releases Updated NELFUND Refund List for 2024/2025 Students
-
News3 days agoOsogbo Sons and Daughters Mark 5th Anniversary with Awards, Political Undertones
-
News15 hours agoSaudi Arabia Confirms Sighting of Ramadan Crescent, Fasting Begins Wednesday
-
metro2 days agoUS Freezes Assets of Eight Nigerians Over Boko Haram, ISIL, Cybercrime Links
-
News3 days agoAfenifere Calls for Immediate Take-Off of State Police as Terror Threats Rise in Yorubaland
-
metro3 days agoArgungu Festival 2026 Highlights Peace, Stability, Economic Growth — Tinubu
-
News11 hours agoRamadan Begins in Nigeria as Sultan Confirms Crescent Sighting
-
metro2 days agoTerror in Lagos Traffic: Cutlass Gang Unleashes Mayhem on Mile 12–Ketu Road


